Detroit mayor shoots down idea for RoboCop statue

It wasnt even filmed in Detroit, if anything Dallas should get a statue since it was filmed there.

[quote name='Soodmeg']It wasnt even filmed in Detroit, if anything Dallas should get a statue since it was filmed there.[/QUOTE]
That makes even less sense than putting one in Detroit.

While I strongly support something that absurd, Detroit doesn't need to be spending money on shit like that right now.

[quote name='bardockkun']His tune will change once he's being held hostage in city hall after he wins re election...[/QUOTE]

Beat me to the punch! LMAO!

Putting up a RoboCop statue would tarnish Detroits image.

Look at the movies where Detroit is depicted as a run down, corrupt city with rampant drug use and criminals running wild.

The statue would give people the wrong idea, they might think that the city now has robots.

[quote name='KrizB']Putting up a RoboCop statue would tarnish Detroits image.

Look at the movies where Detroit is depicted as a run down, corrupt city with rampant drug use and criminals running wild.

The statue would give people the wrong idea, they might think that the city now has robots.[/QUOTE]

Tarnish? Wrong idea? The?

[quote name='Brak']It would just get vandalized, anyway.[/QUOTE]
Until it's vandalized beyond normal repair and it becomes an actual Robocop (or Robostatue in this case) and goes on hunting the people who have wronged it.

[quote name='KrizB']Putting up a RoboCop statue would tarnish Detroits image.

The statue would give people the wrong idea, they might think that the city now has robots.[/QUOTE]
:applause:
ISWYDT

Ohhhh... What is this? They messed up the layout for so many websites. io9 and Lifehacker will be visited much less by me now. Hopefully their hits will drop so they revert.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']:applause:
ISWYDT[/QUOTE]

secret_to_everybody.jpg

[quote name='bardockkun']His tune will change once he's being held hostage in city hall after he wins re election...[/QUOTE]

lol

You just made my morning. :applause:

And was hoping for a match between Robo statue and the Rocky statue. :(

That training montage would have been awesome.

Every major state needs a statue of an associated 80's icon erected in their city. I demand a Daniel Larusso statue in Reseda, CA.

Wow, I can see it now - a 10 foot tall faux gold-plated RoboCop statue in the middle of the downtown Detroit area. It would be a beacon of hope in an otherwise dreary city...what was the mayor thinking? The public outcry that occur as a result of Detroit not having a statue of RoboCop erected will be deafening. You cant just get the public's hopes up by mentioning a RoboCop statue...then kill the whole plan completely. They should hold public town hall meetings to ensure that there is no rioting in the streets as a result.

The only thing that could possibly be better would be a gold Lorenzo Lamas statue. Can you say awesome?

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']
The only thing that could possibly be better would be a gold Lorenzo Lamas statue. Can you say awesome?[/QUOTE]

Awesome Possum kicks Dr.Machino's butt!

Raleigh has an Andy Griffith statue and people love that shit. A statue is a good way to get people downtown, even if it is hokey.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']
rocky%20statue.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I do believe he has stepped his game up.

...all I can say about that is awesome! You, sir, have one-upped the gold RoboCop statue. Totally forgot about that one. LOL

I'm surprised Detroit hasn't put an Eminem statute up yet. Between the Chrysler commercial, the state of the City of Detroit Public Service Anoouncment 2 hour commercial (aka 8 Mile), and the fact he has apparently donated hundreds of hours and a crap load of money to the city. Oh yeah, and the Beautiful video may be his best just for the sheer tragedy (read about the efforts to save Tiger stadium) of whats going on in the background.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']Ohhhh... What is this? They messed up the layout for so many websites. io9 and Lifehacker will be visited much less by me now. Hopefully their hits will drop so they revert.[/QUOTE]

I've thought the same thing since the redesign. Got rid of their RSS feeds, etc. and now i don't have to give Nick Denton anymore money! This is as bad as the Digg redesign.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Chicago needs a Ferris Bueller statue, stat. .[/QUOTE]

I concur.

And honestly, I think this would be pretty nifty/cool. I've never for the life of me ever wanted to go to Detroit, but this would actually capture some of my interest.

[quote name='KaneRobot']https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imaginationstation/detroit-needs-a-statue-of-robocop

I threw in 10 bucks. Probably won't make it to the goal but it's worth a shot. I strongly encourage any MI residents and/or any big Robocop fans (ie a certain site owner) to throw in a little bit.

(for those unfamiliar w/ Kickstarter, they don't actually take your money unless the goal amount is reached)[/QUOTE]

In, for a $.

They've raised a pretty impressive amount of money considering it's been going on for less than a week.

But I'm guessing this will quickly become out of sight / out of mind and they won't get to their goal.

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']The reason Mr. Bing shot the idea down is because that space is reserved for the 2012 Lions Super Bowl Champions statue.[/QUOTE]

:lol: :rofl:

50,000 dollar goal apparently reached! Some loaded guy pitched in half.

This should be interesting. I'll probably take work off on the day of the dedication ceremony.

If a certain site owner ever is in the Detroit area let me know, we can visit the statue, then I'll take you to an awesome restaurant, then an awesome alley to buy a vial of crack and get mugged/murdered.

EDIT - oh man, it gets even better. The "guy" that pitched in half was the REAL LIFE OCP CORPORATION.

http://www.omniconsumerproductscorporation.com

OP needs to update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, they're the people behind all those fictional to real life products, like the Stay Puft Marshmallows. That's awesome.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']
rocky%20statue.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This was actually a movie Prop for Rocky III. We just kept it around because it is that awesome.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Every major state needs a statue of an associated 80's icon erected in their city. I demand a Daniel Larusso statue in Reseda, CA.[/QUOTE]

Anything to get people to come to the Valley these days.

I can't think of really any big eighties icons from Wisconsin, so we'll just proudly take an Ed Gein and Jeffery Dahmer playing Connect Four statue down in Milwaukee, please and thank you.

bread's done
Back