Devil May Cry 4 - Gen. Discussion & Info

Tried out the demo to see if I was interested in buying the full game and it's saved me $60. It was an okay demo, as the boss battle was much better and more interesting than the other part of the demo, but I just wasn't able to get into the combat at all. I may pick it up at about $30 or less, but not before then.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Tried out the demo to see if I was interested in buying the full game and it's saved me $60. It was an okay demo, as the boss battle was much better and more interesting than the other part of the demo, but I just wasn't able to get into the combat at all. I may pick it up at about $30 or less, but not before then.[/quote]

+1

I've a big fan of games like this. Once I heard DMC was going on an Xbox console, I was ecstatic. NG and DMC are 2 of the best reasons to play games.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Tried out the demo to see if I was interested in buying the full game and it's saved me $60. It was an okay demo, as the boss battle was much better and more interesting than the other part of the demo, but I just wasn't able to get into the combat at all. I may pick it up at about $30 or less, but not before then.[/quote]

Your opinion differs from mine, according to internet logic YOU ARE WRONG.

just played it on a 2nd time through. I only managed to get to Berial, before the demo cut off. So how's this exceed system work? BTW i thikn the demo is awesome and am seriously thinking about getting this game, if only i had the money. =(

I'm surprised in the demo how they didn't include a double jump and maybe a couple more abilities for Nero. I'd imagine double jump would be one of the very first power ups and it would have made him flow better for the boss fight.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I'm surprised in the demo how they didn't include a double jump and maybe a couple more abilities for Nero. I'd imagine double jump would be one of the very first power ups and it would have made him flow better for the boss fight.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you don't get it before Berial in the retail game. plus, double jump is kinda replaced with the devil bringer in that fight.

a few more moves would've been nice, but whatever, they had my money the day they announced the game :lol:

[quote name='twanky']just played it on a 2nd time through. I only managed to get to Berial, before the demo cut off. So how's this exceed system work? BTW i thikn the demo is awesome and am seriously thinking about getting this game, if only i had the money. =([/QUOTE]
There's two ways the exceed system works.

First, is the manual charge. Basically you "rev" up 3 times for one full bar. You can then unleash it on your next attack.

The more fun way is the instant charge. You have to hit the exceed button at the same time your sword hits the enemy, and you can instantly charge to full. If you combine it with other moves it changes them. For example, that one move that is Nero's version of Dante's stinger if combined with exceed you can hold it indefinitely.

I pretty much spent all day messing with the exceed stuff.

It took 4 1/2 hours to download for me this morning, and I didn't have much time to play it after that. I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to putting some more time into fooling around with the combat tomorrow morning when I get home from work.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']There's two ways the exceed system works.

First, is the manual charge. Basically you "rev" up 3 times for one full bar. You can then unleash it on your next attack.

The more fun way is the instant charge. You have to hit the exceed button at the same time your sword hits the enemy, and you can instantly charge to full. If you combine it with other moves it changes them. For example, that one move that is Nero's version of Dante's stinger if combined with exceed you can hold it indefinitely.

I pretty much spent all day messing with the exceed stuff.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, i'll have to mess with this some more this weekend when i'll actually have time to do so.

Never played a DMC game before, and I was very happy with the demo. I didn't feel like an idiot getting my ass kicked by Berial like I did with bosses from Ninja Gaiden.

Can't wait to pick up my overpriced Collector's Edition. :D

I wasn't that impressed. It seems like basically another dmc with better graphics. I did lose interest after the first one though.

The game was pretty much what I was expecting it to be, I'll be getting it day one for sure. I noticed a lack of styles (DMC3 mechanic) though (Royal Guard, Trickster, Gunslinger, Quicksilver...forgot the last one). Things is I remember watching a video where it was aid styles can now be switched on the go. I'm sure they'll make it in the final game but will they be exclusive to Dante?

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']The game was pretty much what I was expecting it to be, I'll be getting it day one for sure. I noticed a lack of styles (DMC3 mechanic) though (Royal Guard, Trickster, Gunslinger, Quicksilver...forgot the last one). Things is I remember watching a video where it was aid styles can now be switched on the go. I'm sure they'll make it in the final game but will they be exclusive to Dante?[/QUOTE]
Yes Dante's fighting styles are all in there. Nero plays differently.

[quote name='regisphilbi0']I hadn't played DMC before, but the demo was awesome. Its fast, frenetic, adn fun. Definitely gonna pick this up when its cheaper.[/QUOTE]

What he said. Except I'll pick it up at launch at CC for the $10 gift card.

I have only played DMC 3. I started downloading it 10pm est and is STILL downloading. Its now 5:51 am and its at 43%. I download 2 demos that were more than 1 gb big. why is it taking so long?

This was my first introduction to the DMC series, and the demo impressed me. First of all, the graphics are simply outstanding--as good as anything I've seen so far (including GOW). The gameplay took a little bit of getting used to, but I had a lot of fun. I will eventually buy the game.

[quote name='javeryh']This didn't seem all that different from DMC1 other than the shiny coat of paint...[/quote]

If it ain't broke dont fix it.

Eh, I thought the game was okay. I never really like Devil May Cry that much (I have played all 3), but its a decent game. I guess this will have to do until Ninja Gaiden II comes out.

[quote name='javeryh']This didn't seem all that different from DMC1 other than the shiny coat of paint...[/QUOTE]

not to call you out, but I never know what people want when they say things like this. I mean, they're not going to change the fact that it's an action game. but all the details about the action are greatly improved DMC1 and there are lots of additions.

[quote name='Apossum']not to call you out, but I never know what people want when they say things like this. I mean, they're not going to change the fact that it's an action game. but all the details about the action are greatly improved DMC1 and there are lots of additions.[/quote]
I agree. It's a sequel. What do you guys want an FPS? A Devil May Cry racing game?

Never played a DMC game. The graphics wowed me right off the bat, and I wanted to love it. But the camara issues had me frustrated within minutes, and I got lost and didn't know what way to go, and fought like five easy button mash battles and got bored... I'll probably watch for it on the cheap to give it a better chance down the road, but I won't be shelling out $60.

The demo is awesome! I've played through it numerous times getting affiliated with combos. Getting an SS combo was pretty satisfying. After watching combo vids just released on youtube by those DMC guru's make me really want to learn the dmc mechanics such as cancelling and rebounding. People are already mastering instant rev's on every swing.

Well the demo sold me. The graphics were great, the gameplay/combat was simple and satisfying yet I could see how the difficulty could ratchet up based on how you tried to create and string combos. I also have a feeling that the enemies you'll encounter are gonna be a little different then your standard "black ops guard" or "nazi soldier", so thats a breath of fresh air. Overall I'm really looking forward to the release of this bad boy. Lets all hope for a good deal on it within the first week or two. :bouncy:

Did anyone get lost on the level? I was in a room with a staircase and didn't know where the hell to go!

I wanna like this game though

demo was crazy. its been awhile since i've played me some DMC!! definately gonna get this the day its out.

[quote name='ananag112']Eh, I thought the game was okay. I never really like Devil May Cry that much (I have played all 3), but its a decent game. I guess this will have to do until Ninja Gaiden II comes out.[/QUOTE]

+1

I've never understood the DMC boner. I guess my tastes are severely out of step with the majority of the CAG community because I have had a lot more fun with Undertow than this demo - while it seems most people hate Undertow.

[quote name='regisphilbi0']I hadn't played DMC before, but the demo was awesome. Its fast, frenetic, adn fun.[/quote]

Same here. Well, actually, I have tried DMC1, but that was a while ago and I didn't play much (though I own it).

I'm really considering requesting this from YF360G since it seems pretty fun. I loved jumping and shooting down enemies, keeping myself hovering in the air. :lol:

anybody else think it was way too easy? im seriously thinking about my purchase based on the difficulty and the demo was weak in that sense, im scared.

[quote name='AshesofWake']anybody else think it was way too easy? im seriously thinking about my purchase based on the difficulty and the demo was weak in that sense, im scared.[/quote]

It's a demo. They're going to set it lower so casual gamers can get into it.

Yes I'd imagine in the higher difficulty settings they're going to put things in place that prevent Nero's arm from grabbing enemies so easily and comboing into them. They did something similar in DMC3 where they had this aura that made it nearly impossible to knock enemies in the air.

I've played easier demos, I mean fighting the normal monsters in the game is ridiculously easy yeah but the boss at the end of the demo is a little trickier to beat down I've fought him twice by doing the demo part where you just fight him and not beaten him and then almost beat him running through it from the start knowing more about what to do and how to move Dante. I guess it depends on how experienced you are at DMC games if you've never played one it takes a smidge getting use to(this group includes me this is my first experince with the franchise).

Never played a DMC game before, and from what the demo tells me, Its just not my thing.

It looks like a game id find at an Arcade for one thing, maybe thats just how the series is supposed to look...i dont know, the sound and music is awful, and its just kinda hack and slash and boring, and button mashing. So the demo has told me flat-out "No Buy"

dammit, 2/5 can't come fast enough.

[quote name='joe2187']Never played a DMC game before, and from what the demo tells me, Its just not my thing.

It looks like a game id find at an Arcade for one thing, maybe thats just how the series is supposed to look...i dont know, the sound and music is awful, and its just kinda hack and slash and boring, and button mashing. So the demo has told me flat-out "No Buy"[/QUOTE]

please show me these magical arcades with DMC4 quality games.

[quote name='PhoenixT']I've played easier demos, I mean fighting the normal monsters in the game is ridiculously easy yeah but the boss at the end of the demo is a little trickier to beat down I've fought him twice by doing the demo part where you just fight him and not beaten him and then almost beat him running through it from the start knowing more about what to do and how to move Dante Nero. I guess it depends on how experienced you are at DMC games if you've never played one it takes a smidge getting use to(this group includes me this is my first experince with the franchise).[/quote]

Not your fault by any means, because they looks damn near the same. The devil arm and the revolver are exclusive to Nero though. Dante will rock the dual pistols.

There better be a reason behind why these two look so similar. Other wise it's just piss poor creativity on Capcom's behalf.

With that said I can't wait for the game's release. It's also nice to hear that I am not the only person that hasn't beaten the boss.

bread's done
Back