Devil May Cry 4 - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='trq']Actually, originally Capcom had two teams working on the DMC franchise, alternating releases, a la Splinter Cell and Call of Duty now, I guess. Thankfully they gave up on that, and 4 is by the team that did 1 and 3.

My issues with 2 are the mess of a narrative, the ridiculous ease overall, the forgettable bosses (that's the game where you fight a skyscraper, right?), the ugly palette (it's all brown and red, with none of the gothic flair the other games have had), and the lame fashion product placement (Dante has brand label jeans! Yay!).
[/quote]

I totally agree about the palette scheme in the game. 2 just seemed dingy.

Damn. All this talk of DMC3 has me all veklempt for the ice flail, agni & rudra, and the electric-bat guitar/scythe/axe thing. I wonder if Capcom thought of adding them to 4 as DLC?

Those as DLC would kick ass or even anything from number 1.

[quote name='whoknows']I got DMC2 at release and tricked myself into liking it. Eventually I went back to DMC1 and couldn't believe I got any enjoyment out of 2. DMC3 might be my favorite though, I've put so much time into that game, but I really love DMC4 as well since some of the gameplay elements have been improved, plus the Devil Bringer is awesome.[/quote]

I tricked myself too.:cry:

I'm thoroughly stuck, does anyone have any tips for beating Baliel in the 19th mission? I can get him down about 3/4ths of the way and then the bastard hits me with a rush of fire everytime :cry:

[quote name='J35U5']I'm thoroughly stuck, does anyone have any tips for beating Baliel in the 19th mission? I can get him down about 3/4ths of the way and then the bastard hits me with a rush of fire everytime :cry:[/QUOTE]

Which move is hitting you, exactly? The giant ball of fire and light when he reignites himself, or the one where he charges up for a second -- his "wings" burn brighter than usual -- and then he springs at you? The reignition isn't too bad; back off when he starts to recover and you'll be fine. I jump too, but I'm not sure that's necessary. The charge is a little trickier, but it's really just a matter of timing. Wait until he flares up, and then air hike as far away as possible. That's really about it.

Really enjoying this so far. The Nero missions were a bit of a letdown, but man does the sucker pick up once you're playing as Dante. Cutscenes are fantastically detailed as well.

Definitely the best DMC in a long time.

I thought the Nero segments were good. Each character has his strength and weaknesses so it's fun playing as both.

I just beat all the secret missions too. Unbreakable gave me some trouble. :D Two more blue frags for max health.

OK I just got the 360 CE ($10 in RZ cert. and a $10 off $75 or more game purchase coupon made it regular price.) I have some questions relating to the anime:

In the back of the instruction manual, the ad for the anime says I can sign up for a free DVD case to hold the movie disc instead of just a cardboard sleeve and for a $5 coupon off the second movie (if it comes out I guess according to the blogs.)

I searched the advfilms.com website and could find nothing about any of this. Has anyone had any luck? I'm looking for mainly the DVD case considering the reviews the anime is getting earlier in the thread.

[quote name='MSUHitman']OK I just got the 360 CE ($10 in RZ cert. and a $10 off $75 or more game purchase coupon made it regular price.) I have some questions relating to the anime:

In the back of the instruction manual, the ad for the anime says I can sign up for a free DVD case to hold the movie disc instead of just a cardboard sleeve and for a $5 coupon off the second movie (if it comes out I guess according to the blogs.)

I searched the advfilms.com website and could find nothing about any of this. Has anyone had any luck? I'm looking for mainly the DVD case considering the reviews the anime is getting earlier in the thread.[/quote]

Bueller, Bueller?

Wow kinda amazing that a major title released just 2 weeks ago is already on the 2nd page of the CAG 360 board.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Bueller, Bueller?

Wow kinda amazing that a major title released just 2 weeks ago is already on the 2nd page of the CAG 360 board.[/QUOTE]

I'd understand if everyone were discussing it on the PS3 board, but they're seeing even less traffic than we are. I don't get it as the game is really good and ripe for discussion.

I’ll give my two cents even though I’m only up to mission 11 on pansy mode and have yet to play as Dante:

1) I’m a brand spanking n00b to the series so while I’m finding combat ridiculously fun to both play and watch – I suck at it. I actually just figured out you could manually rev the Red Queen last time I played. I was previously going for all instant revs which was…difficult… I figured out a few basic combo links, but I’m sure that will change rapidly as I acquire new moves. I can get to ‘S’ rank in battles pretty easily. The only problem is everything is dead by the time I get there - which might also be a product of playing on pansy mode where all enemies are weak as day-old toast.

2) The cinematics and voice acting are breathtaking. Sure, the writing is video game quality but the choreography and cinematography are seriously big budget Hollywood movie quality. This is one of the very few games where I actually look forward to the next cut-scene. As a whole the graphical presentation is top notch (minus fugly as hell pixilated shadows –wtf happened there?).

3) Game design decisions are fairly solid. The enemy types are varied and uniformly fun to fight (this applies to bosses as well). The backtracking is questionable and sometimes way too unguided. I’ve encountered three occasions where I had no idea where to go. Aimlessly running around searching for a new exit is the antithesis of what an action hack ‘n slash should be. Skill upgrades are perfect though. As someone who is learning the ropes, being able to cash out my proud souls and rebuild my character is pure gravy.

Ok, now for a couple questions:
1) Why are the secret missions so damn hard? What the hell are you supposed to do on the one where you have to protect the scarecrow from the twenty charging chimeras?!

2)
Who is the overly voluptuous chick who is posing as a Royal Guard person that Dante knows? I’m assuming there is back-story from the previous three games that I have zero knowledge of. If this is answered post mission 11, just forget I asked.

[quote name='insertcleverthing']Ok, now for a couple questions:

1) Why are the secret missions so damn hard? What the hell are you supposed to do on the one where you have to protect the scarecrow from the twenty charging chimeras?!

2)
Who is the overly voluptuous chick who is posing as a Royal Guard person that Dante knows? I’m assuming there is back-story from the previous three games that I have zero knowledge of. If this is answered post mission 11, just forget I asked.
[/QUOTE]

1) Dude, no idea: the secret missions used to be a diversion from the main game, where you could try some non-standard game play, grab a blue thigamajig, and then go back to finger blistering combat. But they're absolutely harder than before. I think I've only done, like half of them. As for the scarecrow mission:
Once you can hold enemies with Nero's Devil Bringer, try the mission with him. I forget if you have access to that area as him again -- you may need to go back after you beat the game. Regardless, grab the scarecrow, but DON'T slam it down. Carry it to the top of the cliffs in that section, about as far as you can go without leaving the screen and failing the mission. Then hop back down and clean up the chimeras with the 'bringer. By the time the scarecrow gets back down, you'll probably have torn all the chimera in half. If not, pick him up again and repeat process.

2)
That's Trish. She's Dante's "Kyerie" from the first game -- basically, his romantic interest and tough chick foil. She's really there for "Oh shit, they haven't forgotten about her!" value -- she's not particularly important to the plot. Same goes for the chick with the bazooka with the bayonet. She's from the third game, and pretty much serves only to get Dante involved and as fan service. You're not missing anything important.

Apropos of nothing: I freaking cannot stand the Blitzes in Son of Sparda mode. They're literally harder than most boss fights.

[quote name='zewone']Not surprised at all about the lack of discussion.

The game is pretty straight forward and has no online play.[/QUOTE]

It's not so straightforward as the combat has an incredible amount of depth and there's tons of strategies for dealing with enemies and bosses. Strangely, I've been following the gamefaq forum of this more than I have for just about any other game maybe ever. I've also been looking up videos of people playing well on DMD mode for some tips on how to play.

But maybe I'm just weird like that because I never play online games and if there's a single-player game that I'm really into (like Zelda) I'll avoid the forum until I've beaten the game so as to avoid spoilers. This game was perfect forum fodder for me as the story is crap, so there's no much to spoil. It's also somewhat short so after the first few days I'd played through it all, so thee was even less to spoil. And there's little to explore. For me it strikes the perfect mix of wanting to discuss the combat and strategies, but it's straightforward enough that there's not much in the way of secrets or hidden goodies to spoil.

So ... uh ... for the sake of keeping the thread alive ...

Anyone notice that when What's-his-face, the ice frog demon, swallows you, you can escape by popping Devil Trigger for a second? Useful if you're having any trouble with him, since the attack where one of the lures freezes you and then he tosses you down his gullet becomes pretty frequent at higher difficulties.

Anyone else have any useful tips/shortcuts?

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm going to kill someone if I can't beat secret mission 5 here in a moment (let alone 4).[/QUOTE]

Secret Mission 5 I didn't find too difficult. The main tricky part is the damn fence around the last jump pad. I just accepted that I'd have to make two full passes from the ground floor: one to get up there and take down bits of fence, and another to actually make it to the top.

Mission 4, on the other hand, I've yet to find a single orb in. I just can't freaking make them appear.

Speaking of bastardly game design, I want to meet the man who gets the "Get an S rank in all missions on Dante Must Die" achievement. I mean ... really. The only reason I'm not more shocked by the "1,000,000 Proud Souls" achievement is my suspicion that in the decade it'll take me to make it to the bottom of the Bloody Palace, I'll probably have hit that insane number.

[quote name='trq']Speaking of bastardly game design, I want to meet the man who gets the "Get an S rank in all missions on Dante Must Die" achievement. I mean ... really. The only reason I'm not more shocked by the "1,000,000 Proud Souls" achievement is my suspicion that in the decade it'll take me to make it to the bottom of the Bloody Palace, I'll probably have hit that insane number.[/QUOTE]

Here's a guy going through the game on DMD without taking a single hit. He's completed Mission 5 so far.
http://jp.youtube.com/user/269509085

And here's a guy going through DMD getting all S ranks (though taking a tad bit of damage here and there). Understandably, he's blazing through at a much faster rate than the other guy. He's completed Mission 7 so far.
http://jp.youtube.com/user/ShinsoShikai

Seriously, these videos have given me a whole new appreciation of the game. Just when I think the game is being cheap or impossible someone comes along and proves me wrong. Now to beat Mission 15 on DMD.

[quote name='trq']So ... uh ... for the sake of keeping the thread alive ...

Anyone notice that when What's-his-face, the ice frog demon, swallows you, you can escape by popping Devil Trigger for a second? Useful if you're having any trouble with him, since the attack where one of the lures freezes you and then he tosses you down his gullet becomes pretty frequent at higher difficulties.

Anyone else have any useful tips/shortcuts?[/QUOTE]

I didn't find him all the hard. I just sat back and charge shots at him when in toad form. He really never got that close to me where I had to dodge his attacks.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Here's a guy going through the game on DMD without taking a single hit. He's completed Mission 5 so far.
http://jp.youtube.com/user/269509085

And here's a guy going through DMD getting all S ranks (though taking a tad bit of damage here and there). Understandably, he's blazing through at a much faster rate than the other guy. He's completed Mission 7 so far.
http://jp.youtube.com/user/ShinsoShikai

Seriously, these videos have given me a whole new appreciation of the game. Just when I think the game is being cheap or impossible someone comes along and proves me wrong. Now to beat Mission 15 on DMD.[/QUOTE]

That's what I like about the game: it can be hard -- very, very hard -- but rarely does it feel unfair. (Well, those stupid board games with Nero come close, but only because I got tired of looping the board a half dozen times because I couldn't roll the number to land on the exact spot I needed.)

There's a bunch of stuff I've never seen in those videos, like that taunt where Nero kneels down and slowly spreads his arms. I'll also have to try to remember to constantly have a charged shot at the ready, for a quick knock down. No wonder Japan is all over the leaderboards. Their youtube pages are hideous, though.

What do you think of DMD mode so far? I'm only a couple missions in, but right off the bat, I was impressed with how much the game seems to change up even from Son of Sparda. Fighting Dante once he's using Pandora and Lucifer was practically an entirely new fight.

[quote name='lordopus99 ']I didn't find him all the hard. I just sat back and charge shots at him when in toad form. He really never got that close to me where I had to dodge his attacks.[/QUOTE]

Pardon. That was poorly phrased; I actually meant tips, tricks, or little observations in general, not just for Bael.

[quote name='trq']That's what I like about the game: it can be hard -- very, very hard -- but rarely does it feel unfair. (Well, those stupid board games with Nero come close, but only because I got tired of looping the board a half dozen times because I couldn't roll the number to land on the exact spot I needed.)

[/quote]

You may know by now but the dice can be rigged. buster it when the number you want is showing on top and it will always land on that number.

[quote name='trq']That's what I like about the game: it can be hard -- very, very hard -- but rarely does it feel unfair. (Well, those stupid board games with Nero come close, but only because I got tired of looping the board a half dozen times because I couldn't roll the number to land on the exact spot I needed.)

There's a bunch of stuff I've never seen in those videos, like that taunt where Nero kneels down and slowly spreads his arms. I'll also have to try to remember to constantly have a charged shot at the ready, for a quick knock down. No wonder Japan is all over the leaderboards. Their youtube pages are hideous, though.

What do you think of DMD mode so far? I'm only a couple missions in, but right off the bat, I was impressed with how much the game seems to change up even from Son of Sparda. Fighting Dante once he's using Pandora and Lucifer was practically an entirely new fight.

Pardon. That was poorly phrased; I actually meant tips, tricks, or little observations in general, not just for Bael.[/QUOTE]

As the guy said above, you can control the die. Buster it when the number you want is on top. Even easier is that it goes in a specific order. I believe it's 1,4,2,6,3,5. Once you know this level 19 goes from being the worst thing ever to one of the best levels in the game.

And I liked DMD Mode, though I think I liked SoS mode a bit better. What I loved about SoS was that you were really powered up, but so are the enemies, so you're both at the top of your game fighting each other. But in DMD the enemies seem almost too powerful. Like they'll block a lot and frequently dodge your snatch move. Or worse, they'll attack you while you're stuck in the buster animation with another enemy. It's not nearly as bad as similar games like God of War where half your moves are basically worthless on the hardest difficulty setting, but you do have to play more defensively. But after nearly 25 hours I beat DMD mode and feel like SoS might be too easy for me now, so I'd probably replay DMD as I know I can beat it now... if only just (honestly some bosses took me upwards of 2 hours on DMD. But now that I have my strategy down the provide a good challenge). So both modes are a lot of fun. I just feel like the game may have sort of peaked for me during SoS, but even after DMD I still feel like playing it more. Maybe I'll give Hell or Hell mode a try.

I'm new to this thread, but it seems that this game is much easier than my last experience with the franchise - the original DMC. It's fun for me, but I'm sure others who are more familiar with the game would find it way too easy.

I'm only playing on human though, so I guess those who crave difficult AI would chose a higher difficulty.

Boss battles are gorgeous, but a little too straight forward so far (near the end of Nero's missions). Still very fun. A great rental for me so far.

[quote name='blackflag']You may know by now but the dice can be rigged. buster it when the number you want is showing on top and it will always land on that number.[/QUOTE]

Sonuva ...! Well, at least I found out before I got there in DMD -- I can only imagine how long that could have taken. Thanks!

Finally beat the game (I've been taking my sweet time). Going from Dante back to Nero for the final couple levels was unsettling since Dante's breadth of moves and chains are infinitely larger. Although the ending battle was lame.
It took me forever to figure out what to do when the savior came back to life. I tried to run up his hand, devil trigger, snatch, charge... It was maddening. I just happened to finally buster when I let go of the lock-on button by accident. What a crock. A little more guidance would have helped there.

I started up devil hunter and kicked ass thru the first three levels. It didn't seem all that different from what I could tell, although that could be contributed to the fact that I actually know how to fight decently well now.

The achievements are looking more unattainable by the minute though. I don't have that kind of stamina to beat a game over and over and over again. Kinda makes my measly combined 100gs for my first completion all the more insulting. *sigh*

Random bit of trivia: if anyone really wants the achievement for beating the game with Super Nero/Dante but doesn't want to slog through the whole game one more time, they're in luck -- just load and beat Mission 20 on any difficulty and poof! Achievement Unlocked. Enjoy your whopping twenty points.

[quote name='trq']Random bit of trivia: if anyone really wants the achievement for beating the game with Super Nero/Dante but doesn't want to slog through the whole game one more time, they're in luck -- just load and beat Mission 20 on any difficulty and poof! Achievement Unlocked. Enjoy your whopping twenty points.[/QUOTE]
So its a glitch that if you redo Mission 20 automatically gives it to you? Interesting.

I just started playing the other day. Its really on the easy side compared to the other games. I'm looking forward to unlocking the harder modes.

[quote name='CouRageouS']So its a glitch that if you redo Mission 20 automatically gives it to you? Interesting.

I just started playing the other day. Its really on the easy side compared to the other games. I'm looking forward to unlocking the harder modes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was surprised when the achievement popped up, since I'd been slogging through a "Hell or Hell" game with the Super Characters to get it, but hey, fine by me.

DMC 4 is about as hard as the first game, I'd say -- it's nowhere near the cakewalk the second game was, and it's easier overall than DMC 3, but there are some parts that are surprisingly difficult later on. (I'm looking at you, Secret Missions.) I think I had the most fun on "Son of Sparda" -- it just seemed to mesh with my skill level at the time. "Dante Must Die" was a bitch, really forcing me to use items here and there. If you're noticing it's easier, I take it you're playing on "Devil Hunter?"

[quote name='trq']Yeah, I was surprised when the achievement popped up, since I'd been slogging through a "Hell or Hell" game with the Super Characters to get it, but hey, fine by me.

DMC 4 is about as hard as the first game, I'd say -- it's nowhere near the cakewalk the second game was, and it's easier overall than DMC 3, but there are some parts that are surprisingly difficult later on. (I'm looking at you, Secret Missions.) I think I had the most fun on "Son of Sparda" -- it just seemed to mesh with my skill level at the time. "Dante Must Die" was a bitch, really forcing me to use items here and there. If you're noticing it's easier, I take it you're playing on "Devil Hunter?"[/QUOTE]
Yea whats the deal with the other difficulties? I swear theres so many different ones.

Well, the rundown is thus:

"Human" (easy) and "Devil Hunter" (normal) are there right off the bat.
"Son of Sparda" (hard) pops up when you finish "Devil Hunter," and both "Dante Must Die" (very freaking hard) and "Heaven or Hell" (one hit kills, you and enemies) open when you beat "Son of Sparda." Should you be an utter masochist and decide to beat "Dante Must Die," you'll get "Hell or Hell" (which is also one-hit kills ... but only on you -- otherwise it's Son of Sparda with enemy placement and health).

The Bloody Palace -- a survival mode with 100 arena levels of monsters, with a boss every twenty -- opens when you beat Devil Hunter, I believe. It's a good place to practice and earn souls.

I'd say both "Devil Hunter" and "Son of Sparda" are worthwhile modes to beat -- when I beat "Devil Hunter," I still had quite a few skills to buy for the characters, so the second play-through was pretty entertaining for me, just using the weapons and things I had kind of ignored my first time out. Beyond that, "Heaven or Hell" is quite easy, since you can sprint through the whole game, dropping bosses with one shot from your gun. There's no real reward for it, though.

Even "Hell or Hell" isn't that bad, since you can use the Super versions of the characters (there's no mission ranking).

As others have observed, this is really not a game for trying to boost your achievements with; I've logged 60+ hours, and I'm on my 6th playthrough ... and I've earned about 500 points.

Cool thanks. Heaven or Hell sounds very interesting. On another note, I'm only on Mission 5 and it seems ridiculous how big my life bar has gotten. Since Red Orbs are only for items now, seems like I have tons.

This was a good gamefly rental game, but I would have been very upset if i dropped $60 on this. It felt very...."last gen," despite how much I hate using phrases like that. Annoying camera angles that I couldn't always rotate, some frustrating platforming, backtracking, miss a jump and fight random enemies over again, can't save mid-level, etc. I definitely enjoyed playing as Dante more than Nero, but Dante's overall personality takes a lot of the drama away from the story. I don't feel like my actions really matter when I'm saving the world as Nero when I have a god-like sarcastic cheerleader on the sideline.

The achievement requirements in this game make the baby jesus cry.

If only this game had some kind of co-op or multiplayer. Going thru the same levels over and over does, to quote Rooster above, feel very "last gen". I usually look at achievements to be a motivator in this situation in place of online, but like I said before - the baby jesus is weeping.

[quote name='Rooster752']This was a good gamefly rental game, but I would have been very upset if i dropped $60 on this. It felt very...."last gen," despite how much I hate using phrases like that. Annoying camera angles that I couldn't always rotate, some frustrating platforming, backtracking, miss a jump and fight random enemies over again, can't save mid-level, etc. I definitely enjoyed playing as Dante more than Nero, but Dante's overall personality takes a lot of the drama away from the story. I don't feel like my actions really matter when I'm saving the world as Nero when I have a god-like sarcastic cheerleader on the sideline.[/QUOTE]

Well, let's face it: the series has never been ... let's go with "bleeding edge." The first game pretty much set the formula for other action games to follow, but really, it could have been on the PS1 if they'd wanted. Your complaints are valid ... but if you've ever played DMC/NG/GoW before, what'd you expect?

And for what it's worth, the mid-level saves are definitely intentional, since the boards are so short. You'll recall that the much harder DMC 3 did have saves at the shrines.

[quote name='trq']Well, let's face it: the series has never been ... let's go with "bleeding edge." The first game pretty much set the formula for other action games to follow, but really, it could have been on the PS1 if they'd wanted. Your complaints are valid ... but if you've ever played DMC/NG/GoW before, what'd you expect?

And for what it's worth, the mid-level saves are definitely intentional, since the boards are so short. You'll recall that the much harder DMC 3 did have saves at the shrines.[/quote]

I haven't played any of the games since the first one, so I don't know about the other game's saves. Maybe I just sorta suck, but some of the levels took in upwards of 45 minutes or so, which is awhile to go without saving. To go through 30 minutes of a level and then die on a boss and not feel like continuing, but knowing that you'd have to do it all over again if you don't sucks.

On the level before you go into the forest with nero, I think I skipped the cutscene where it showed the bridge dropping, and nero had said something about going "back to the base" so I backtracked all the way back to the original city. It let me get almost all the way back to the beginning of the game before cutting it off and making me stop and then I had to walk all the way back. I mean I realize I skipped the cutscene that kinda shows me where to go but why did it let me run all the way back there? He said base, so I assumed I started at the base. I dunno. seemed logical enough.

For what its worth, I think the god of war series just flows a lot better. Everything about it just feels smoother. I'd give this game a solid B or like a 7 out of 10. A very solid rental, but, like I said before, not nearly worth full price.

btw, whats the "ng" series you mention? I'm pulling a blank.

[quote name='Rooster752']I haven't played any of the games since the first one, so I don't know about the other game's saves. Maybe I just sorta suck, but some of the levels took in upwards of 45 minutes or so, which is awhile to go without saving. To go through 30 minutes of a level and then die on a boss and not feel like continuing, but knowing that you'd have to do it all over again if you don't sucks.

On the level before you go into the forest with nero, I think I skipped the cutscene where it showed the bridge dropping, and nero had said something about going "back to the base" so I backtracked all the way back to the original city. It let me get almost all the way back to the beginning of the game before cutting it off and making me stop and then I had to walk all the way back. I mean I realize I skipped the cutscene that kinda shows me where to go but why did it let me run all the way back there? He said base, so I assumed I started at the base. I dunno. seemed logical enough.

For what its worth, I think the god of war series just flows a lot better. Everything about it just feels smoother. I'd give this game a solid B or like a 7 out of 10. A very solid rental, but, like I said before, not nearly worth full price.

btw, whats the "ng" series you mention? I'm pulling a blank.[/quote]

he's refering to Ninja Gaiden, which as had a couple of revisions/editions, but no sequel/prequel as of yet.

[quote name='strdr4']he's refering to Ninja Gaiden, which as had a couple of revisions/editions, but no sequel/prequel as of yet.[/quote]

Ohhh yeah I should've figured that out. I tried playing that recently too and got frustrated with the camera. I think I'll get back to it at some point.

[quote name='Rooster752']On the level before you go into the forest with nero, I think I skipped the cutscene where it showed the bridge dropping, and nero had said something about going "back to the base" so I backtracked all the way back to the original city. It let me get almost all the way back to the beginning of the game before cutting it off and making me stop and then I had to walk all the way back. I mean I realize I skipped the cutscene that kinda shows me where to go but why did it let me run all the way back there? He said base, so I assumed I started at the base. I dunno. seemed logical enough. [/QUOTE]

I did the exact same thing, even my second and third time through. It's not just you.

[quote name='Rooster752']For what its worth, I think the god of war series just flows a lot better. Everything about it just feels smoother. I'd give this game a solid B or like a 7 out of 10. A very solid rental, but, like I said before, not nearly worth full price.[/QUOTE]

Yeeeaaahhh ... we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I appreciate the presentation in GoW as much as the next guy, but the controls just don't cut the mustard, IMO.

[quote name='Rooster752']Ohhh yeah I should've figured that out. I tried playing that recently too and got frustrated with the camera. I think I'll get back to it at some point.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the camera in NG is definitely the worst of the bunch, so if it turned you off the game already, you might want to rethink your plans to go back to it. It also tosses a lot of cheap hits at you, which is pretty much a cardinal sin in this genre, IMO.

Obviously I can't vouch for NG II -- it may be an entirely different beast.

I hate the comparison to God of War. DMC actually requires you to try. GOW is so easy and just copied the shit out of DMC, right down to the red orbs. You'd think they could at least try a different color! Its a good game but it rips off like every other action game and really isn't as innovative as it gets credit for. When I first played it I immediately thought of Rygar since his weapon moves the same way. I played through it and had fun but its totally overrated.

I have some GS credit and I think i'll get this game. Did anybody 'round here get the collectors edition? If so, do you still think it was worth it?

I just sat through about 2 hours of BP only to die against the 2 Blitzes. It was amazing though. I felt was I was in a trance where every movement made was either in "no mercy, brute force" offense or "afraid for my life" defense. I was "in the zone." There was only one part where I was in serious bad shape with only half of a bracket of health left and no DT, but luckily, Chimeras came to the rescue.

And about those Blitzes? Man... I took off one's shield. Went DT, streaked only to get blocked by the other Blitz, who appeared in between the 2 of us. Oy. Then the mind games started. Talk about a shutdown.

bread's done
Back