Devil Survivor for DS

62t

CAGiversary!
Feedback
76 (100%)
Here is an article from Nintendo Power

NP239_Shin.jpg

Wow, that girl's rockin' a nice rack of lamb. That is a girl right? And not just a boy that looks like a girl.

I'm not normally into SRPGs, but I like how the game shifts to a more traditional turn-based battle system once you engage in combat, so I might have to pick this up.

And man, I wish I had a pair of nekomimi headphones.

[quote name='AtlusUSA Youtube']The government has quarantined Tokyo after a surprise demon invasion. No one within the isolation zone is safe. Can you and your peers turn the demons against themselves before time runs out and all is lost?

Shin Megami Tensei®: Devil Survivor™ for Nintendo DS™ is a new RPG/SRPG hybrid in the award-winning Shin Megami Tensei franchise! This may be the first Shin Megami Tensei epic to land on Nintendo DS, but no aspect of the experience--story, visuals, music, or gameplay--has been shrunk in the process. In fact, Devil Survivor invigorates the series with an unprecedented RPG/SRPG combat system and more character customization options than ever before, all wrapped within a compelling, branching narrative. For the first time in the series, players can use a new Demon Auction feature to collect and eventually fuse demons as they seek to create the most powerful party.

Available June 2009.

For more information, visit:
http://www.atlus.com/devilsurvivor[/quote]

Hmm, there's a preorder link but it just takes you to the front page of Amazon. I wonder what kind of bonuses we'll get for this.

I'm surprised they're sticking with the incredibly red Japanese cover art.

Cant wait for this, already pre ordered devil summoner 2 and will do the same as soon as this is up on amazon

[quote name='cartoondream']I'm not a SRPG fan...[/quote]

[quote name='Axersia']I'm not normally into SRPGs...[/quote]

What's an SRPG? I've heard of JRPGs...

Preordering at gamestop tomorrow, but am I the only the only one who kind of got a kinda The World Ends with You vibe excluding the music.

The "rack" belongs to a girl. I may be mistaken, as I don't know too much about the SMT series, but my understanding is that they don't go too bat-shit crazy with gender bending the main characters.

got a 9 from gamespot. Glad I pre-ordered even though I know nothing about the game. I knew nothing about Persona 3 when I bought it and that turned out well for me.

I'm picking this up for sure. Looks pretty cool ... even though that video review was fucking boring. That was the least enthusiastic claim that a game was 'riveting'.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Has anyone heard the estimated play-through time yet? I'm hoping 20-30 hours as P3 & P4 were just too long.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I do not have time to devote that much of my life to an RPG. Fortunately, 100 hour RPGs are not the norm for the DS.

[quote name='DQT']I agree 100%. I do not have time to devote that much of my life to an RPG. Fortunately, 100 hour RPGs are not the norm for the DS.[/QUOTE]

Thank god they haven't listened to you people yet. Shortening a game just because you dont have the time to devote for it? That's just retarded.

P3 and P4 were perfect length. Even if you really don't have the time for it, just don't play it. Don't screw it up for others by making it a shorter game overall just because 'you' don't have the time for it.

P3 is actually one of the best, if not, the best RPG i've ever played (combination of gameplay, story, environments, awesome soundtrack, and demons from previous great SMT titles as "persona's" made it this way) and to see people saying that it should have been shorter because they just wanted to beat it faster?

fuck. No.

Also, i'm on Day 3 in the game now. The game is great, but first person view battles = fail. This game would have been a lot more (visually) entertaining if the animations were in 3rd person.

I can't wait for another console SMT title, that will hopefully (if it's possible) surpass DDS1 and 2, Nocturne, and P3.

[quote name='fyrtoes']do any of you know where to get this cheaply?[/QUOTE]

Sure. Let's see. You can get this game for cheap...just about anywhere. It's $30. That's a steal for anything that says "Shin Megami Tensei", that doesn't say "Devil Summoner."

[quote name='Jack-Hunter']The game is great, but first person view battles = fail.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need some Etrian Odyssey.

[quote name='Jack-Hunter']Guess I have another reason not to bother with Etrian Odyssey.[/QUOTE]

i guess to some a 5 minute summons with dramatic animations and visuals is really what makes a game

[quote name='fyrtoes']i guess to some a 5 minute summons with dramatic animations and visuals is really what makes a game[/QUOTE]
Someone buy this man a watch.

I hate first-person view too, but only when you have to use it to move around. Games like this (I presume) and Dragon Quest where just the battles are first-person don't bother me, but I can't stand FPSes. Phantasy Star I was tolerated but only because the rest of it is so classic. I've avoided Etrian Odyssey and Class of Heroes because I hate Wizardry-style games.

[quote name='Jack-Hunter']Thank god they haven't listened to you people yet. Shortening a game just because you dont have the time to devote for it? That's just retarded.

[/QUOTE]

Relax. I'm not going to write Atlus a letter demanding that they make their games shorter. I, unlike most video game message board posters realize not every game company is going to make all their games specifically for me. I would eventually love to give P3 a try because the soundtrack sounds cool and I've yet to see a more stylish looking game.

[quote name='DQT']Relax. I'm not going to write Atlus a letter demanding that they make their games shorter. I, unlike most video game message board posters realize not every game company is going to make all their games specifically for me. I would eventually love to give P3 a try because the soundtrack sounds cool and I've yet to see a more stylish looking game.[/QUOTE]

you would have to be able to write in japanese, because atlus usa doesnt make games, atlus japan does.

Barely started the game, played the first battle. But I just have to say that the music is absolutely atrocious. This is what happens when someone other than Meguro does the music for a SMT game.

[quote name='fyrtoes']you would have to be able to write in japanese, because atlus usa doesnt make games, atlus japan does.[/QUOTE]

Of course I know that, silly.

I think it's tricky for RPGs to use J-Rock or J-Pop. I played The World Ends With You and while I enjoyed the originality of the soundtrack, I can easily see two more people hating it. Either way, I'm interested in playing this game.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Barely started the game, played the first battle. But I just have to say that the music is absolutely atrocious. This is what happens when someone other than Meguro does the music for a SMT game.[/QUOTE]

No wonder the music is sub par.

It's not SMT if meguro doesn't do the soundtrack. Period.

Also, fuck Devil Summoner. Both of them. I don't understand how anyone puts up with those pieces of shit. Devil Summoner should either finally be done right, or just die.

Same with first person view turn based battles. It's fucking retarded.

The only thing this game has going for it imo is the story, and how hard it is. Makes it fun. Though I have to admit that the only reason I push forward in the game is because I want to find out what happens in the story.

How they ever thought 1st person battles > 3rd person is 'BEYOND' me.

It's fucking stupid.

Also the lack of a compendium.

I stopped playing Devil Summoner 1 after an hour. Devil Summoner 2 was a lot better, but it did degrade in quality near the end in terms of story and repetitiveness. Still a huge improvement over 1 and pretty fun for the most part.

Played a couple more hours of this game. I like it so far but it hasn't "grabbed" me. I like the auction system a lot less than demon negotiation or acquiring them through battle.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I stopped playing Devil Summoner 1 after an hour. Devil Summoner 2 was a lot better, but it did degrade in quality near the end in terms of story and repetitiveness. Still a huge improvement over 1 and pretty fun for the most part.

Played a couple more hours of this game. I like it so far but it hasn't "grabbed" me. I like the auction system a lot less than demon negotiation or acquiring them through battle.[/QUOTE]

have you played etrian odyssey?
I really enjoyed that game, and it is the first time that i see first person battles.
Im thinking about getting this, so keep posting impressions please

[quote name='fyrtoes']have you played etrian odyssey?
I really enjoyed that game, and it is the first time that i see first person battles.
Im thinking about getting this, so keep posting impressions please[/QUOTE]

Did not play Etrian Odyssey. I don't like dungeon crawl games like that.

I'm still playing through this an hour or two nightly. Normally I play games as much as possible each day, but not so much on this one. It just hasn't grabbed me for reasons I just don't know. I just don't find it that interesting for some reason yet. Hopefully once I play more I'll become more intrigued.

bread's done
Back