Devo Reborn in the Spirit of 12 Year Olds

I guess it's appropriate... afterall, "Devo" derives from "Devolution".

It's Disney trying to make a quick buck on the 80's is in again trend while ruining something awesome... and it makes me sick to my stomach.

Just looking at those kids makes me angry. I want to punch them in their bellies. All of them. Especially the lead singer. She's trying to look all hardcore rock...

I'd be like, hey, bitch look over here at this hand and BAM! No kids for her.

fucking disgusting. Why are they trying to ruin the 80's?! They've already had those morons Bowling for Soup to do a cover of Modern English's 'Melt With You', featuring altered lyrics:

-".. Making love to you was never second best" was changed to "Being friends with you was never second best". Don't chop up the song; just don't use it if it has adult meanings. :roll:

Not to mention that ass-fest musical they just produced. Aural/Visual trainwreck, much. Anyway, I've expressed my views for the ShitNey channel before, so I won't go ranting any further. :lol:

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Good thing I prefer the Cars to Devo[/QUOTE]

The Cars are great. Next thing you know, they'll have Raven doing a cover of Hello Again. :bomb:

I am going to go against the grain here and say that I actually like those kids. Hell, I feel better having kids listen to Devo songs as opposed to that Hip Hop shit that play in every fucking radio station across the country.

Couple of things...I like how they changed "Girl U want" to "Boy U want". Also the only song that didnt translate well was Peek-A-Boo. Where is the chorus? (Ha Ha Ha HA! PEEKAPOO!)

[quote name='SilverPaw750']My god...they've killed Devo! :cry:[/QUOTE]

NO... NO... THEY CAN'T DO THAT!!!

anyway, this has been going on for a while. Disney has a radio station specifically made to destroy the 80's and anything good that isn't suggestive... it's called Radio Disney

also, thank god im a Joy Division fan. They won't touch that with a 5-foot pole

well, if incessant whoring of "whip it" didn't kill devo, then these kids sure will.

So, back when I was about 18 a funny thing I liked to do with my younger brother and friends was go into Meijer and fuck with people so to speak. Well one day we're doing something or another and this employee guy gives my brother a dirty look, then my brother grabs one of those flourescent orange soccer goal markers, puts it on his head and starts singing "whip it" the guy couldn't take it he just burst out laughing.

Another good thing that those two bands aren't similar in any way.

[quote name='Brak']Another good thing that those two bands aren't similar in any way.[/QUOTE]

?? They're both 80s new wave rock that focuses more on the techno side of new wave compared to the trance side. They are quite similar.

Devo was post-punk, whom used "new wave" synthetics in very few songs. The Cars were hard rock, whom used "new wave" synthetics in very few songs. They didn't sound anything alike. Furthermore, both Devo and The Cars started making music in the mid-'70s.

[quote name='Brak']Devo was post-punk, whom used "new wave" synthetics in very few songs. The Cars were hard rock, whom used "new wave" synthetics in very few songs. They didn't sound anything alike. Furthermore, both Devo and The Cars started making music in the mid-'70s.[/QUOTE]
Late 70s. Both started in 1978, right in time to catch the new wave that went through the 80s. I disagree with you on all counts. Both are guitar based bands with heavy usage of synth.

good thing i prefer no wave to new wave :lol: liquid liquid 4 lyfe

From what I've heard, all five members of Devo rerecorded the music and the kids just sang on it.

While my testicles shrivel at the thought of my beloved Devo being besmirched with the taint of Disney, I agree it's better to expose kids to Devolution rather than the usual crap on the radio. If they can get to the children, there is hope for the future.

No when will they cover Mongoloid and Penetration in the Centerfold?

Devo-Live is an excellent DVD if you'd rather hear the originals.

[quote name='MrBadExample']From what I've heard, all five members of Devo rerecorded the music and the kids just sang on it.

While my testicles shrivel at the thought of my beloved Devo being besmirched with the taint of Disney, I agree it's better to expose kids to Devolution rather than the usual crap on the radio. If they can get to the children, there is hope for the future.

No when will they cover Mongoloid and Penetration in the Centerfold?

Devo-Live is an excellent DVD if you'd rather hear the originals.[/QUOTE]

Someone compared the lyrics from this band to the originals, and found some interesting discrepancies. I can't recall the changes, but he claimed that "Uncontrollable Urge," a song originally about bulimia (dunno if I believe that myself), now had its lyrics changed to imply that the band totally wanted to have snack time.

From the original:

GOT AN URGE GOT A SURGE
AND IT'S OUT OF CONTROL
GOT AN URGE I WANNA PURGE
'CAUSE I'M LOSING CONTROL
UNCONTROLLABLE URGE
I WANNA TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT
UNCONTROLLABLE URGE
MAKES ME SCREAM AND SHOUT IT
IT'S GOT STYLE IT'S GOT CLASS
SO STRONG I CAN'T LET IT PASS
I GOTTA TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT
I GOTTA SCREAM AND SHOUT IT

I really doubt the bulimia interpretation. Someone's just reading too much into "purge".

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Meh, Devo sucked anyway.[/QUOTE]

They started to. Outside of Q:Are We Not Men A: We Are Devo, Duty Now For the Future, and Freedom of Choice; they weren't too hot. They caught so much shit that, at one point, they released an album called "Devo Has Feelings Too".

I would not be surprised if they are next. This is, after all, the beginning of the apocalypse.

Not, at all.

Some of the sarcarsm of Beautiful World seems lost in this iteration. "Me too!" Yayyyyy!:bouncy:

I wonder if they are going to perform "Whip-it"

Actually I'm pretty sure Uncontrollable Urge is about having the sex drive of a young man, as the members of Devo all were.

As for these kids, bleh. Why does everything have to be tainted by preteens.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']I would not be surprised if they are next. This is, after all, the beginning of the apocalypse.

Not, at all.

Some of the sarcarsm of Beautiful World seems lost in this iteration. "Me too!" Yayyyyy!:bouncy:

I wonder if they are going to perform "Whip-it"[/QUOTE]

I can't wait to see their cover of FGtH's 'Relax' or Cougar's 'Hurts So Good'. :lol:

I agree, at least it's not another teenybopper slut band.
And about kids in music, some of the newest and most creative bands were 'kids'. Slightly older, but kids are growing up faster nowadays.
Ramones 25 to 27 when their first album was released.
Sex Pistols, John Lydon was 18 when he joined, Sid was 20.
Rollins was 20 when he joined Black Flag.

I'm not equating these junior high schoolers to some of the core founders of punk, but hey, you have to start somewhere.

I'd argue you're anywhere from 3-5 years high on all those accounts. You do make a good point, however.

And, of course, while we look back fondly on our "pure" past, we selectively ignore prefab bands (Generation X, probably The Buzzcocks) and pure bullshit (Sigue Sigue Sputnik).

bread's done
Back