Diagnose the issue.

PsovazHunter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I used to smoke pot casually, like twice a week or so. This was a couple months back. I did it maybe a dozen times, maybe a little more. Then, one day, I decided to try smoking out of a bong for the first time. The little bowl that sticks in is supposed to be pulled out when you inhale the smoke, and I forgot to do so, so I pretty much burned my throat and coughed a shitload.

I got way more high than usual, and it resulted in a panic attack. Prior to this, I had never had one before. So, it lasted 15-20 minutes, then I was continuously shaking from fear for about an hour or so. After that, I thought it was over.

Roughly a week after it happened, I was sitting in Graphic Design in school, and I got a feeling of dread. I asked to go to the bathroom and pretty much waited it out in there, and let the panic attack pass. It happened every so often for a while (maybe a month or so). I haven't smoked since the first panic attack.

After this month or so of it, it passed when I had forgotten about it and hadn't seen anyone smoke pot right in front of me. Well, yesterday, the same kid I was with when it happened smoked outside of his car, I was there, however I didn't smoke. We went to an event at our school, and then the feeling of dread happened. Now, I just feel really paranoid and anxious for no reason. It kinda feels like I'm losing control. I'm pretty much back at square one.

My question to you all is:

What the hell is wrong with me? I can't really explain the situation to my parents since it involves smoking pot and I'm only 16, so going to the doctor's alone and hiding it from them, etc. is kinda out of the picture.

EDIT: I don't want to take meds, as I've heard succumbing to meds is really a bad choice.

[quote name='PsovazHunter']I used to smoke pot casually, like twice a week or so. This was a couple months back. I did it maybe a dozen times, maybe a little more. Then, one day, I decided to try smoking out of a bong for the first time. The little bowl that sticks in is supposed to be pulled out when you inhale the smoke, and I forgot to do so, so I pretty much burned my throat and coughed a shitload.

I got way more high than usual, and it resulted in a panic attack. Prior to this, I had never had one before. So, it lasted 15-20 minutes, then I was continuously shaking from fear for about an hour or so. After that, I thought it was over.

Roughly a week after it happened, I was sitting in Graphic Design in school, and I got a feeling of dread. I asked to go to the bathroom and pretty much waited it out in there, and let the panic attack pass. It happened every so often for a while (maybe a month or so). I haven't smoked since the first panic attack.

After this month or so of it, it passed when I had forgotten about it and hadn't seen anyone smoke pot right in front of me. Well, yesterday, the same kid I was with when it happened smoked outside of his car, I was there, however I didn't smoke. We went to an event at our school, and then the feeling of dread happened. Now, I just feel really paranoid and anxious for no reason. It kinda feels like I'm losing control. I'm pretty much back at square one.

What the hell is wrong with me? I can't really explain the situation to my parents since it involves smoking pot and I'm only 16, so going to the doctor's alone and hiding it from them, etc. is kinda out of the picture.

EDIT: I don't want to take meds, as I've heard succumbing to meds is really a bad choice.[/quote]

I think the answer is that your mind is intuitive. It knows that you're probably being followed. Someone's probably lurking around outside your house right now. This person will make you realize this reality isnt real. Muhahahaha

I'm guessing you should taper the marijuana doses until you quit and breathe into a brown paper bag whenever you have your attack.

When you're going through the attack, your respirations increase and you blow off excess carbon dioxide. The bag will increase the co2 and bringing a balance to your system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiratory_alkalosis

I hope that helps :D

[quote name='anomynous']Guys, I'm going to the gas station. Anybody need some popcorn or soda?[/quote]

pick me up some fritos and bean dip...Mmmm

now ive got a urge for Frito pie.

[quote name='PsovazHunter']I used to smoke pot casually, like twice a week or so. This was a couple months back. I did it maybe a dozen times, maybe a little more. Then, one day, I decided to try smoking out of a bong for the first time. The little bowl that sticks in is supposed to be pulled out when you inhale the smoke, and I forgot to do so, so I pretty much burned my throat and coughed a shitload.

EDIT: I don't want to take meds, as I've heard succumbing to meds is really a bad choice.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a normal advice thread for once.

it's good that you stopped smoking. You probably shouldn't smoke anymore ever...

Lets see....Try and note when you get anxious and what about. Also, since you probably can't talk to your folks or even a school psych about it, try and control it the best you can. Take breathers when you need to and try and reassure yourself that the feeling will pass. Talk to a non-pot head friend about it (you don't have to tell them the cause, just let them know about your anxiety.)

If possible, wait until you get to college so you can talk to a counselor there with complete confidentiality.

otherwise, if you're getting frequent panic attacks, tell your folks about them, DON'T mention the weed, and arrange to see a psychiatrist.

That's what you get for doing drugs.

Tell your parents, and have them arrange to get you some real help. If they punish you, then you deserve it.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']It's Lupus.[/quote]
I stash my drugs in a Lupus textbook. Why? It's never Lupus.

[quote name='PsovazHunter']

.[/quote]

christopher-walken-pee-thumb.jpg

Diff strategies work for diff ppl.

Try reverse psychology - as in "if I'm going to have a panic attack, then let's do it" - when you stop trying to fight it oftentimes you sap it of it's power.

EDIT: I don't want to take meds, as I've heard succumbing to meds is really a bad choice.[/QUOTE]

Smoking pot is an even worse choice.

I had some meth addict chick walk up to my car the other day, in a circuit city parking lot of all places. Why anyone would do that to themselves is beyond me. Chick was nasty x1000. When you can't stop shit dripping out of your own orifices, you need help.

[quote name='JolietJake']I had some meth addict chick walk up to my car the other day, in a circuit city parking lot of all places. Why anyone would do that to themselves is beyond me. Chick was nasty x1000. When you can't stop shit dripping out of your own orifices, you need help.[/QUOTE]

so.....

did you....

put it in her butt?

[quote name='JolietJake']I had some meth addict chick walk up to my car the other day, in a circuit city parking lot of all places. Why anyone would do that to themselves is beyond me. Chick was nasty x1000. When you can't stop shit dripping out of your own orifices, you need help.[/QUOTE]

So, did she like, talk to you or anything? Or just stare at you, zombie-style?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']So, did she like, talk to you or anything? Or just stare at you, zombie-style?[/quote]
She said she needed help, wanted a ride. I told her i'd call the police for her and she yelled something at me about already calling them and they wouldn't help. Then she got tired of waiting and walked off in a huff.

This was at around 11 am too.

Diagnose the issue: You're a teenager. You're smoking weed to get around some problem in your life that will seem infinitesimal when you're an adult with a full time job, kids and a mortgage.

When your body gets hurt, go see a doctor.

When your brain gets hurt, go see a shrink.

If you don't like the diagnosis, get a second or third or fourth opinion.

Wait... let me get this right...

You don't want medication (even if it resolves the panic attacks) but you smoke pot?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Smoking pot is an even worse choice.[/QUOTE]

An herbal remedy is worse than a pharmaceutical company's solution?

Drink tea and lots of water. Weed is great, it's just not for "some" people, everything in moderations my friend.

[quote name='varsitygamer']An herbal remedy is worse than a pharmaceutical company's solution?[/quote]
He's 16, like me. Drugs can fuck him up.

sounds like it's psychosomatic now. Or you know, in your mind, depending on how liberal your definition of the word psychosomatic.

your brain associates the sight, smell, taste of pot smoke with the burning of your throat and subsequent panic attack.

therefore it tries to get it over with without the burning. throws you into a state of semi panic to preserve itself actual harm.

easiest way to prevent it? never be near pot again. perhaps easier said than done, based on your age. then again, i'm 23 and i've never been near pot that i know of, so it can be done.

the real issue is that it's possible you could have this reaction for the rest of your life. so you could be 42, happen upon some guy in a back alley smoking something, and bam, panic's back.

[quote name='valor19']Wait... let me get this right...

You don't want medication (even if it resolves the panic attacks) but you smoke pot?[/QUOTE]
No. I don't smoke pot.

Like I said, I quit after the panic attack happened initially.

[quote name='varsitygamer']You've got my attention. Please, explain.[/QUOTE]
Oh shut up man, I don't want to do the same fuckin age-old marijuana arguments with you.

And it sounds like you'll just do the same old song about how evil Big Pharmaceutical is, but whatever. I like clinical science better than folk tales.

[quote name='doho7744']herbal remedy, lol. its not st john wart or bee pollen hippie, its a narcotic. you fail[/QUOTE]
What he said. It's a dangerous psychoactive narcotic, not chamomile tea.

[quote name='naes']He's 16, like me. Drugs can fuck him up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they can. That's true of any kind of drug... Marijuana OR the prescription medications suggested for his panic attacks (Prozac, Zoloft, Xanax, or Valium to name a few). Have you seen the side effects on those? Increased suicide risk? Shit man, sleeping pills can do you in.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone his trying weed at 16, but whatever, that was his decision and he had his reasons. I waited until I was a competent adult to try any mind altering substance (including alcohol) and I'm doing pretty well.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Oh shut up man, I don't want to do the same fuckin age-old marijuana arguments with you.

And it sounds like you'll just do the same old song about how evil Big Pharmaceutical is, but whatever. I like clinical science better than folk tales.[/Quote]

I'm willing to trust 4,000 years of medical research and application over anywhere between a few months to a few years of clinical trials... and little mistakes like this.

Don't get me wrong, modern medicine is astounding, and I don't wish it away. In fact, I'm actively keeping my fingers crossed for a cure for Muscular Dystrophy within the next few years. I do however think "Big Pharmaceutical" is flawed and that profiting off of someone's wellbeing is kind of tactless. And for all its virtues, your "clinical science" also gave us Fen Phen (and countless others like it).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']What he said. It's a dangerous psychoactive narcotic, not chamomile tea.[/QUOTE]

"Francis L. Young, an administrative law judge with the United States Drug Enforcement Agency, in 1988, declared that 'in its natural form, [cannabis] is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known.' "
Citation:
http://www.druglibrary.org/olsen/MEDICAL/YOUNG/young.html

And I guess you've never met someone suffering from glaucoma or cancer whose quality of life it has benefited tremendously. (Oh and... you can make herbal tea out of it!)

I would strongly suggest NOT getting caught up in pharmaceutical solutions. See a shrink. Try out some herbal remedies. For the love of Al Gore don't listen to internet armchair psychologists. Marijuana isn't good for you but it isn't going to fuck a casual user up for life either.

This is fucking serious. You can fucking DIE. Get help, both physically and mentally.
posting threads isnt going to help. Tell your parents, see a doctor

[quote name='varsitygamer']Yeah, they can. That's true of any kind of drug... Marijuana OR the prescription medications suggested for his panic attacks (Prozac, Zoloft, Xanax, or Valium to name a few). Have you seen the side effects on those? Increased suicide risk? Shit man, sleeping pills can do you in.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone his trying weed at 16, but whatever, that was his decision and he had his reasons. I waited until I was a competent adult to try any mind altering substance (including alcohol) and I'm doing pretty well.[/quote]
Yeah, I rarely take any medicine unless I have to.

Rofl.
Own up to it and be a man and tell your parents. Screwing up is part of childhood and if you have truly learned your lesson than you have nothing to be ashamed of. Not everyone has excellent judgement all the time. Unless your parents are 70 or mormon, I'm sure they will understand you screwed up and are willing to take responsibility for it.

Although it still amazes me how many people just have to try it and see for themselves. People don't lie when they say drugs are bad for you. Waste of money and brain cells.

[quote name='CrimGhost']Drink tea and lots of water. Weed is great, it's just not for "some" people, everything in moderations my friend.[/quote]

I dont smoke pot but I agree with CrimGhost. Weed isn't for everyone.

Also...Your weed could have been laced with something. Thats just the price you pay when you buy illegal drugs...You might get something else along with your dope.

[quote name='Xevious']I dont smoke pot but I agree with CrimGhost. Weed isn't for everyone.

Also...Your weed could have been laced with something. Thats just the price you pay when you buy illegal drugs...You might get something else along with your dope.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking. Check with your supplier. :)

Sorry, Varsity, but you still lose, because drugs are for losers. They're dangerous, they're evil, and all abusers deserve time behind bars (if only a few days).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Sorry, Varsity, but you still lose, because drugs are for losers. They're dangerous, they're evil, and all abusers deserve time behind bars (if only a few days).[/quote]

ITT: Harry Anslinger is back.

[quote name='varsitygamer']

"Francis L. Young, an administrative law judge with the United States Drug Enforcement Agency, in 1988, declared that 'in its natural form, [cannabis] is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known.' "
Citation:
http://www.druglibrary.org/olsen/MEDICAL/YOUNG/young.html

[/quote]

Only problem is we have no idea if he bought cannabis in it's natural form or not, and I don't think he does either.

Anyway, he should either face his fear and smoke pot or go deeper to figure out if the panic attacks are associated with something else. Maybe the initial attack brought on guilt for doing it in the first place? Not sure.

some of the best advice here has been to do the mature thing and tell your parents, being 16 you could have really screwed up your system..

TB explaniation has some weight, you body has been through trauma
When your body senses danger, its reaction is unpredictable

I have never used pot in mylife but I have been a counselor who's dealt with situations similiar to this you really need professional help, to assess what is going on. An incident like this could even be the basis of PSTD-like symptoms appearing even more severe in your future.

Bottom line, tell your folks, seek help, never use illegal drugs again, and live your life

I don't mean to be cruel, but this is a price you pay for doing anything illegal. Theres always a risk, it's not like the stuff has safety standards or something. You (hopefully) knew there was a risk going into it and now you're paying for it.

Not that legal drugs are always 100% safe, but at least they do get tested. Plus you have someone to hold responsible when they do hurt you. Can't very well sue your pot dealer, though I'd love to see it tried.

bread's done
Back