Diamond; Pearl; Platinum 1-B (General Discussion; Strategies, Metagame, etc.)

Check the Summary page. Top left, where it says Status, you should see a purple/pink box with PKRS.

[quote name='spiwak']Check the Summary page. Top left, where it says Status, you should see a purple/pink box with PKRS.[/quote]

ok. well I traded an eevee on the GTS to get a munchlax and in it's display, it has a small face. It's really tiny, but i'm wondering what it is.

The little face means that the pokemon has the pokerus but is no longer infectious, so it's still better than no pokerus, but not as good as infectious pokerus

[quote name='Yertle']The little face means that the pokemon has the pokerus but is no longer infectious, so it's still better than no pokerus, but not as good as infectious pokerus[/quote]

ok. that's what I thought it meant. it loses the pokerus after 24 hours right?

It loses the infectious quality of the pokerus after 24 hours of not being in a box, but the double ev-earning quality is permanant past the infectious period. i can't believe I ever played pokemon without the pokerus before. Wifi trading has truly been inargueably the best addition brought to the table in Diamond/Pearl

[quote name='Yertle']Wifi trading has truly been inargueably the best addition brought to the table in Diamond/Pearl[/quote]

QTF

just looking at one of the boxes in my pc and seeing charmander and company makes wifi trading the best addition

[quote name='Yertle']It loses the infectious quality of the pokerus after 24 hours of not being in a box, but the double ev-earning quality is permanant past the infectious period. i can't believe I ever played pokemon without the pokerus before. Wifi trading has truly been inargueably the best addition brought to the table in Diamond/Pearl[/quote]

sweet. I put up one of my many lvl 1 eevees and got in return a lvl 1 munchlax with non infectious pokerus. *sigh* if only his name would change from japanese letters to american, but to do that, he would have to evolve, and I already have 3 snorlax.

I played for like 3 hours straight and now its time to go to that damn third lake up that LONG route :whistle2:/

Also... what hm is used to scale walls?

[quote name='suko_32']Fighting the Elite 4 now...[/quote]
goodluck. they're tough

edit: squirrel, the hm you're thinking of is rock climb. it's hm 08

[quote name='squirrel007']I played for like 3 hours straight and now its time to go to that damn third lake up that LONG route :whistle2:/

Also... what hm is used to scale walls?[/quote]
Rock Climb. You'll find it along this route. The game got more challenging on this route, it was refreshingly fun.

I'm up to the fourth on the Elite 4 now. So far no problems. I've been winning with just Empoleon so I'm not worried too much.

Is strength on the route also?

Also, im very tired... one minute it's 11 next it's 2.... so yea bed soon! Game sucked me in pretty damn well XD

[quote name='suko_32']Well, just won. That wasn't bad at all. Yay.[/quote]

congrats. it was pretty tough for me the first time through, but of course, I only had lvl 55's when I went through.

I found them to be tough but I roughed by taking them on with 5 lvl 50 pokemon and one lvl 51 pokemon so I was really making it harder on myself, but damn if I didn't want my national dex at that point. My successful second attempt came down to a mexican stand off between my medicham and her Lucario, fortunately my medicham's hi-jump kick aimed true and victory was mine

[quote name='Yertle']I found them to be tough but I roughed by taking them on with 5 lvl 50 pokemon and one lvl 51 pokemon so I was really making it harder on myself, but damn if I didn't want my national dex at that point. My successful second attempt came down to a mexican stand off between my medicham and her Lucario, fortunately my medicham's hi-jump kick aimed true and victory was mine[/QUOTE]

Well, my Empoleon was level 68 when I battled them, then at the end it was 71, so that's probably why I had an easy time. Now, all I need is to see 2 more pokemon to get the national dex.

ugh, god, i never knew when i bought this game (my first pokemon) i'd be subjecting myself to programmers who programmed for game addicts... =X

anyway i'm about 20 hours into the game, i have 2 badges, almost getting my 3rd, but i kinda just want to play through the game. i'm with the person before who said that they were 2 hrs into the game and it felt like a chore. it certainly does. i don't want to battle 5 people on one screen ("want to smell my flowers? let's battle!" "hey you over there, i've been traveling a long way... let's battle!") and the story is pretty 2nd rate. it seems like the game was geared towards people who want to spend a lot of time with a game, not those who want to finish a game and enjoy it =P

perhaps i'm jsut getting too confused with everything. i didn't bother putting my pokemon into beauty contests or dance competitions, i'm just running through the game. dunno anything about breeding, didn't even really bother giving them berries until recently, and i don't lke going around tracking where i planted my berries too. the monster rate is way too high for me to run aorund from city to city collecting and checking up on things (like every 3-4 squares sometimes...)

[quote name='NewSc2']ugh, god, i never knew when i bought this game (my first pokemon) i'd be subjecting myself to programmers who programmed for game addicts... =X

anyway i'm about 20 hours into the game, i have 2 badges, almost getting my 3rd, but i kinda just want to play through the game. i'm with the person before who said that they were 2 hrs into the game and it felt like a chore. it certainly does. i don't want to battle 5 people on one screen ("want to smell my flowers? let's battle!" "hey you over there, i've been traveling a long way... let's battle!") and the story is pretty 2nd rate. it seems like the game was geared towards people who want to spend a lot of time with a game, not those who want to finish a game and enjoy it =P

perhaps i'm jsut getting too confused with everything. i didn't bother putting my pokemon into beauty contests or dance competitions, i'm just running through the game. dunno anything about breeding, didn't even really bother giving them berries until recently, and i don't lke going around tracking where i planted my berries too. the monster rate is way too high for me to run aorund from city to city collecting and checking up on things (like every 3-4 squares sometimes...)[/quote]
Pokemon really isn't about story. Literally it's all about "catching 'em all", or rather, finding pokemon, catching pokemon, training pokemon, doing things with your pokemon, destroying others' pokemon with your pokemon. It's the Zelda (or the Mario, or the Metroid) of RPGS, all about deep gameplay rather than story arcs and writing and characterization. Most Nintendo games are built with gameplay in mind before anything else, and Pokemon is indeed built as a game you're supposed to put no less than 40 hours into.

You said it!

This is also my first ever Pokemon experience and to say its overwhelming is an understatement. Ive been playing games all my life, but Ive never felt soo lost as when I read thru these Pokemoin threads.

Im 6 hours in. I have one badge, and only one powerful Pokemon. I have the Turtwig I staretd the game with leveled up to 25 or so, and it evolved once as well. This one Pokemon is more than enough to pwn everything Ive come up against so far.

But I feel as if Im doing something wrong by only using this one Pokemon.

I just have this feeling that waaay later in the game Im gonna realize that in my noobness I did everything wrong, and wont be able to compete at higher levels...

[quote name='NewSc2']ugh, god, i never knew when i bought this game (my first pokemon) i'd be subjecting myself to programmers who programmed for game addicts... =X

perhaps i'm jsut getting too confused with everything. i didn't bother putting my pokemon into beauty contests or dance competitions, i'm just running through the game. dunno anything about breeding, didn't even really bother giving them berries until recently, and i don't lke going around tracking where i planted my berries too. the monster rate is way too high for me to run aorund from city to city collecting and checking up on things (like every 3-4 squares sometimes...)[/quote]

I would say Pokemon is about presenting the player with an expansive world to explore at their own leisure. The story is there so players can get some event pokemon (Dialga/Palkia), otherwise, its about fighting your way to the top, training your team, and competing/trading around the world.

[quote name='Puffa469']
Im 6 hours in. I have one badge, and only one powerful Pokemon. I have the Turtwig I staretd the game with leveled up to 25 or so, and it evolved once as well. This one Pokemon is more than enough to pwn everything Ive come up against so far.
[/quote]

You will sooner or later hit a wall with only one pokemon, if not now, then with the later gyms or the elite 4, but especially online. I would try throwing in some other pokemon in the party, I find the shinx line fun to mess with. Besides, it adds more variety to the battling.

As a word of caution, if you do stick with just the Torterra, watchout for ice type moves, you have a 4x weakness to them.

Yeah, you can't really advance far in the game with only one uber pokemon as every pokemon has weaknesses and the higher level gym teachers and bosses have multiple pokemon you have to get through.

For me, I'm really enjoying this game. Very addicting, and finding or trading for new pokemon is always a thrill. There's not much story, but lots of depth and I still have quite a bit to learn about strategies and gameplay. Finding the right team for me is definitely going to take a lot of time, as is getting my dex filled out.

As for fun factor, I only get exasperated if I read threads like these where everyone has advanced their Pokemon and/or gone through the game faster than me. But when I'm playing I just get wrapped up in whatever I'm doing.

[quote name='gunm']Yeah, you can't really advance far in the game with only one uber pokemon as every pokemon has weaknesses and the higher level gym teachers and bosses have multiple pokemon you have to get through.
[/quote]
Well, to be fair, spiritomb has no natural weaknesses, being both ghost and dark.

But yea as a general rule you're not supposed to use only one pokemon. I did that for a while in this game because the chimchar line was just taking everything down so easily anyway, but sure enough if I don't have any decent auxiliary pokemon to use I'm fucked against say, gyarados. Plus it's always cooler to have a whole party of evolved kick-ass pokemon than just one.

Hmm. I want to slather some honey on trees, but I know I won't go back to them. I guess I'll wait until I get Fly.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Hmm. I want to slather some honey on trees, but I know I won't go back to them. I guess I'll wait until I get Fly.[/quote]

yeah I would do that, but it does get rather tedious. and on top of that, munchlax is super rare to find on them anyway.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Hmm. I want to slather some honey on trees, but I know I won't go back to them. I guess I'll wait until I get Fly.[/quote]

I had a cycle of about 12 trees I was running every 12 hours the first 4 days or so. Only one i didn't get is munchlax, and I'll just trade for one or something, that honey stuff gets tedious after doing it 50 times.

Best little controlled route I found was the three right around Floaroma, then fly to Eterna, and theres one just outside to the west. Cross the bridges and around the outter path of eterna forest is another.

If you want to add 2 more to the loop, there is one under the bike ramp south of eterna, and one just south of the bike ramp as well.

That seems to be the least tedious group I've done. Since you can do almost the entire thing with only 1 flight in the middle and almost zero grass to run through.

Thanks to a little help from hohez, I have a national Pokedex now. I need to go back home and open up Leaf Green so I can get so Pokemon. Of course I'll share the wealth. It'll probably be weeks before I get anything good though.

I always just put honey on one tree, but I end up forgetting where that tree is located, so I have given up on honey trees for the time being :roll:

[quote name='hohez']I had a cycle of about 12 trees I was running every 12 hours the first 4 days or so. Only one i didn't get is munchlax, and I'll just trade for one or something, that honey stuff gets tedious after doing it 50 times.

Best little controlled route I found was the three right around Floaroma, then fly to Eterna, and theres one just outside to the west. Cross the bridges and around the outter path of eterna forest is another.

If you want to add 2 more to the loop, there is one under the bike ramp south of eterna, and one just south of the bike ramp as well.

That seems to be the least tedious group I've done. Since you can do almost the entire thing with only 1 flight in the middle and almost zero grass to run through.[/quote]

Munchlax are the rarest honey tree pokemon, and they only appear at the power plant tree.

[quote name='SL4IN']Munchlax are the rarest honey tree pokemon, and they only appear at the power plant tree.[/quote]

Has that ever been true? It always seemed like just a rumor along with gotcha!

[quote name='hohez']Has that ever been true? It always seemed like just a rumor along with gotcha![/quote]

I don't know for sure, but that's the only place serebii.net says you can find them. and, (this made me kinda mad) you can't breed munchlax plus when you breed snorlax, you get a snorlax.

[quote name='SL4IN']I don't know for sure, but that's the only place serebii.net says you can find them. and, (this made me kinda mad) you can't breed munchlax plus when you breed snorlax, you get a snorlax.[/quote]

you can with one of the incenses, full I think. Serebii doesn't have it confirmed either, they say possibly only there.

Official guide has a list of routes it can appear in and I think that valley windworks thing is a rumor.

i'm gone for one day, and theres ANOTHER thread 8 pages in o_O? man.........not even going to bother trying to keep up anymore

on a side note, i just got my 6th badge :)

[quote name='maigoyume']i'm gone for one day, and theres ANOTHER thread 8 pages in o_O? man.........not even going to bother trying to keep up anymore

on a side note, i just got my 6th badge :)[/quote]

7th badge and i just got a female combee, err now a Vespiquen from GTS, how does it get you extra honey?

What's this about not being able to breed Munchlax? Of course you can breed Munchlax you just have to attach the proper incense to the mother snorlax. You had to do the same thing in R/S to get Wynauts and Azurils. The incenses are used to explain why these babies were not previously obtainable in the past few generations when breeding was available.
I do wish that Game Freak would stop obsessing over evolutionary continuity so we wouldn't have to have all of these more convuluted methods so as to explain why it was not possible in previous gens. Aipom is probably the worst offenders of this effect, apparantly he could never evolve earlier because he couldn't learn a move that hadn't been created yet

http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/breed.shtml breeding info

bread's done
Back