Did Bush Steal the 2004 Election?

Meh I'm sure Robert F Kennedy Jr is looking for something to talk about because he can feel himself fading away like Greg Kennear (bonus points if you get the TV referenece), I take alot of what he says with a large grain of salt... But seriously you do naturally wonder why did it take nearly two years (and conviently before another election) to get this supposedly "daming and detailed" article out there?

Also, one thing I find ironic is that if Kerry in fact won the Ohio election and thus the presidency he would've actually lost the popular vote. We were reminded that Bush lost the popular vote to Gore for 4 years, I think it'd be funny to go back in time and have Kerry win if nothing else than to see the reactions of the people saying we should've changed the electoral to quickly switching positions of keeping and the Republicans flipping out and trying to then abolish after spending alot of resources to keep it.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I think it'd be funny to go back in time and have Kerry win if nothing else than to see the reactions of the people saying we should've changed the electoral to quickly switching positions of keeping and the Republicans flipping out and trying to then abolish after spending alot of resources to keep it.[/quote]

My reaction is we deserved it and everything is evened out. Kind of a "haha, now you got lost even though you won!".

I wouldn't think it's a good result, simply that it's acceptable since what happened in the previous election.

even if this leads to bush's impeachment it will not change what he and the republican congress have done. Is short we are sadly beating a dead horse, which is probably full of truth.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Meh I'm sure Robert F Kennedy Jr is looking for something to talk about because he can feel himself fading away like Greg Kennear (bonus points if you get the TV referenece), I take alot of what he says with a large grain of salt... But seriously you do naturally wonder why did it take nearly two years (and conviently before another election) to get this supposedly "daming and detailed" article out there?[/quote]

Greg Kennear left TV to have a moderate film career. He's been in 25 feature films since leaving TALK SOUP, which was never as funny after he left and was canceled a few years later.

Personally I'd think that it'd take a year and seven months (not 'nearly two years') because it takes time to do an in depth investigation. These things don't come out overnight.

Also, one thing I find ironic is that if Kerry in fact won the Ohio election and thus the presidency he would've actually lost the popular vote. We were reminded that Bush lost the popular vote to Gore for 4 years, I think it'd be funny to go back in time and have Kerry win if nothing else than to see the reactions of the people saying we should've changed the electoral to quickly switching positions of keeping and the Republicans flipping out and trying to then abolish after spending alot of resources to keep it.

That's exactly what would have happened. There would have been a lot of 'IN YOUR FACE!' and 'WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND!' going on.

Nothing will come of this, sadly. The mountain of evidence about the 94,000 stolen black votes in 2000 in Florida did nothing, this will do much of the same. Besides, the damage is already done. Democrats largest fear has been realized. Bush changed the supreme court for the next 30 years. Two men with the moral compasses of my grand parents will dictate the social laws of my grandchildren in an increasingly left leaning international society.

The saddest thing about the 2004 campaign was that the democrats got more votes then any other presidential candidate ever (besides Bush, naturally) and got 48% of the vote by running a wooden log with the words 'I'm not Bush' carved into it.

[quote name='Cheese']That's exactly what would have happened. There would have been a lot of 'IN YOUR FACE!' and 'WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND!' going on.[/QUOTE]

See, while that may have happened, I would have preferred a response to the effect of bipartisan consensus that agrees "this electoral college stuff is for the birds!"

[quote name='RedvsBlue']How could he steal something the democrats handed him on a silver platter?[/quote]

I honestly think Gore would have still been the best candidate for the democrats. The other crop of democractic hopefuls just seemed angry and emotional most of the time and that isn't going to sway people who are on the fence.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I'm a diehard Bush-hater, but honestly, its over. Get over it, and on with your lives.[/quote]

I disagree. If foul play can be detected and proven in court, I think the people who are responsible should be made an example of.

First: Shocking. A Kennedy taking shots at W.

Attacking a Republican is so out of character for Kennedys. /rolls eyes

Second: get over it already. Bush won fair and square. It's over. Of course, it's not suprising that most democrats and liberals think there was some underhanded or devious act in order for W. to win. They are either A. projecting their own personal behaviour onto W. in assuming he would cheat or steal an election as the democrat machine does or B. so completely disconnected from the real America that they can't possibly conceive of W. beating them at the ballots since he's not a liberal.

Just move on. /chuckle

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I honestly think Gore would have still been the best candidate for the democrats. The other crop of democractic hopefuls just seemed angry and emotional most of the time and that isn't going to sway people who are on the fence.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. It seemed like they had no interest in finding people in the middle ground. They really tried to play up the "let's hate bush" thing too much in order to get votes.

[quote name='mykevermin']See, while that may have happened, I would have preferred a response to the effect of bipartisan consensus that agrees "this electoral college stuff is for the birds!"[/QUOTE]

Silly myke, expecting Democrats and Republicans to agree on a logical position!

Something that's really pissing me off about this debate (here and on other political boards I frequent) is how much of it is focused around this being proof that we need new laws to reform elections. No, we don't. What we need to do is enforce the existing laws. So much of what stole the 2004 election from Kerry, and the 2000 election from Gore, was quite blatently illegal. Adding new laws that aren't enforced isn't going to do shit.

It a lot like the scandals that are plaguing DC: I've lost track of how many times I've heard someone call Delay/Abramoff/etc proof that we need to reform campaign financing laws. Sure, they violated the law 10,000 laws already, but if we write those exact same laws down again, everything will be just hunky-dory (and maybe this time, we'll write those laws using bold type-face. Oooh, scary. NOBODY would dare violate a law written in bold type-face.)

bread's done
Back