Did MS/Target really just do this to me?

gpgorbosjr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I was at Target today and they had Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Worms and Texas Hold Em arcade codes for $2.56 a piece as is.

So I picked 2 of each up (one for myself and one for my buddy in case he wanted them). But when I go home and redeem them I get error code 80153022 and I can't download them. (Well Worms and UMK3, Hold Em worked).

Did they just really rip me off for ten bucks like this? I understand "As Is", but come on? Selling codes that don't work anymore?

[quote name='GizmoGC']What did Microsoft do?[/QUOTE]

Allow a retailer to sell an item that is no longer available...(assuming it isn't).

Maybe I have the wrong idea about how stores work but I would think MS keeps track of who has their cards and then notify them to send back if they aren't actually valid anymore....

But thanks monster...I was going to call but I'm just not in the mood to deal with it today.

When you say they sold them "As Is," was there a sign or a label marking them as such, or is that just the way you described them?

If they were labeled "As Is," it implies that Target didn't expect the codes to work and put them on sale anyway. It's sad that brick and mortar retailers are resorting to the same underhanded sales techniques that shady eBay sellers have used for years.

You might be able to do a credit card chargeback for this since you received useless merchandise.

Does your receipt say "Activation Successful" by each card? If not, then they didn't scan the activation for it because the system didn't prompt them to due to the fact it was sold "AS-IS" clearance.

[quote name='mitch079']http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974029[/QUOTE]

I already saw that....

They said "As Is" on them.

Also, I think they may have pre-activated them and thrown them out there so that they cashier only had to scan them once.....

I guess I'm the idiot for buying something As Is but I never thought Target would pull some bull like that.

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']I already saw that....

They said "As Is" on them.

Also, I think they may have pre-activated them and thrown them out there so that they cashier only had to scan them once.....

I guess I'm the idiot for buying something As Is but I never thought Target would pull some bull like that.[/QUOTE]

There's no way to "pre-activate" them without selling them. I suppose they could have rang them up in a cash transaction and just not put the money in the register but no store is gonna do that.

They didn't intentionally scam you, it was just a clueless price change employee who processed the cards as "AS-IS" clearance that were found somewhere in the backroom. Take them back and explain the situation to the service desk, they should refund your money.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']There's no way to "pre-activate" them without selling them. I suppose they could have rang them up in a cash transaction and just not put the money in the register but no store is gonna do that.

They didn't intentionally scam you, it was just a clueless price change employee who processed the cards as "AS-IS" clearance that were found somewhere in the backroom. Take them back and explain the situation to the service desk, they should refund your money.[/QUOTE]

Yea, going to do that. Hopefully it goes easy.

Returned them! I gave them to the lady with the receipt and she didn't even ask about them or look to see that the codes were scratched. Thankfully the customer service people are just as clueless as whoever put them out on clearance.

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']Returned them! I gave them to the lady with the receipt and she didn't even ask about them or look to see that the codes were scratched. Thankfully the customer service people are just as clueless as whoever put them out on clearance.[/QUOTE]

It's stuff like that, that really makes my brain hurt. Not sure if Target was trolling or if their employees just aren't trained properly.

[quote name='gpgorbosjr']Returned them! I gave them to the lady with the receipt and she didn't even ask about them or look to see that the codes were scratched. Thankfully the customer service people are just as clueless as whoever put them out on clearance.[/QUOTE]
If you posted what store this is on slick deals I'm sure you'd have a ton of people buying cards using them and then trying to return them.

Good thing I didn't. There were a good deal of the clearance cards already sold so maybe people already returned them and she knew the deal.

[quote name='Survivalism']UMK3 was delisted from XBLA.[/QUOTE]

That's the beauty of these code cards or codes in general. You can still redeem them and download delisted games: Joust, Marble Blast Ultra, UMK3, and a few others.

You can still buy Marble Blast Ultra for $4.99 at Best Buy.
I got my Joust code from a very old 12-month Live+free Joust card.

UPDATE: due to this thread/post, I decided to buy Marble Blast Ultra from Bestbuy.com. They sent me the code in about 5 minutes, I redeemed it just fine, and played a level to test it out. Definitely one of the cooler older XBLA games.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back