Did my PS4 break?

Organization_XIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I was playing Resogun and during gameplay, the screen would flicker and go blank for about a second, I'd lose picture for about a second, then it would come back. I would be able to play for a couple more minutes before it did this a couple times in succession, then the screen went permanently blank and the system's bar is flashing white. I cannot turn the system on without it flashing white. Broken or not?

OK. So upon turning it off (via the button on the system) and turning it back on, the white light was solid. I did the Safe Mode reset tip and the system worked fine for the couple minutes I had it turned on. Is this an early sign that my PS4 is about to die? I mean, come on, I only had the system for a month...

Yeah, it's fucked. Had to arrange my PS4 coffin to be sent to me. I opted to spring for the $60 2-Year additional warranty for accidental and non-accidental damage. On the plus side of my PS4 breaking, I managed to get the additional warranty on the last day available (30 days after the system was purchased)

yeah, it is def a bad sign. i would of return for a refund with the generous holiday return policy if possible

Nah, I'm just having it repaired by Sony. I did spring for that 2 year warranty off the PS Store in case something like this happened, so I'm not going to throw that $60 away.

OH, and to add insult to injury, my PS Vita stopped reading/recognizing game carts today... fuck me right

Nah, I'm just having it repaired by Sony. I did spring for that 2 year warranty off the PS Store in case something like this happened, so I'm not going to throw that $60 away.

OH, and to add insult to injury, my PS Vita stopped reading/recognizing game carts today... fuck me right
maybe it is a sign. lol

after reading this, i bought warranty for mine

since i bought mine from samsclub online. they offered 3 years for $43.14

Sucks man. But at least you are getting it taken care of. Far as an extended warranty, I rarely ever purchase one. I game on a daily basis. If my PS4 fails within a year, at least I know it's still covered. Anything happens after a year and I will deal with it then.

Sucks man. But at least you are getting it taken care of. Far as an extended warranty, I rarely ever purchase one. I game on a daily basis. If my PS4 fails within a year, at least I know it's still covered. Anything happens after a year and I will deal with it then.
Dido my Ps3 superslim just died before warranty ran out waiting for the return from sony will do the same if my ps4 dies...

[quote name="ORGAN1ZAT10N_13" post="11354103" timestamp="1387176758"]It turns out mine was for 36 months too. I'm glad because these PS4s are flaky as fuck and want as long of coverage as possible for when this happens again[/quote]

Keep us posted on your ps4. I also bought the sony warranty. any update on the process and turnaround on this will really help people.

So I found out how Sony is making return repair turnarounds so fast. They got my system, went into their warehouse, grabbed a brand new PS4, opened the box and pulled out all the accessories (controller, cables, headset, etc), then just mailed me the system in it's original box.

Anyone want just a PS4 box?

So I found out how Sony is making return repair turnarounds so fast. They got my system, went into their warehouse, grabbed a brand new PS4, opened the box and pulled out all the accessories (controller, cables, headset, etc), then just mailed me the system in it's original box.

Anyone want just a PS4 box?
Pretty sweet!!! So you got your new ps4 now? Hopefully this is how theyll do it in the future for any unfortunate ones. Happy about the news on sony warranty. So what happens now that you get a new system? You have to rebuy warranty for it again?

I'm going to be on the phone with Sony first thing Monday morning to make sure that they transfer my extended warranty over from my old Ps4 to this one. No way in hell I'm gonna let them walk away with my $60 and give me nothing for it

I'm going to be on the phone with Sony first thing Monday morning to make sure that they transfer my extended warranty over from my old Ps4 to this one. No way in hell I'm gonna let them walk away with my $60 and give me nothing for it
hehe! And they should since the original purchase was faulty from the start. Let us know how if it works out.

hehe! And they should since the original purchase was faulty from the start. Let us know how if it works out.
Will do. I guess we can use this thread as a reference of how Sony handles repairs/returns/warranties. So far it's been a pleasant experience given the situation, but this final step could turn troublesome. I'll keep you all informed

Yeah.. I always wondered that. I don't ever buy extended warranties... on anything.

But I bought my girlfriend an expensive necklace (well relatively expensive for me at least) and put a protection/care plan on it because it was something I wanted her to be able to wear everyday without worrying about it breaking and also because she works as a nurse in the VA hospital---on the dementia ward so she gets pulled at constantly and I was afraid a resident would break it.

Well long story short it breaks and they replaced the necklace but then tried to say the plan didn't carry over?

Is that how it works on electronics? I ended up getting them to comp a plan on the new necklace but maybe my understanding on how these plans work is incorrect but I would NEVER pay for a protection plan if it only covered the original console and not any future replacement consoles. I'm not saying the 1,2,3, years of whatever would have to start over but it should cover any console that is reissued during that protection period.

If they try some bullshit like that, I will raise hell. I never asked for a new console, I expected them to fix and return mine. I have all the paperwork/serial numbers for both consoles, so they better not try anything shifty

If they try some bullshit like that, I will raise hell. I never asked for a new console, I expected them to fix and return mine. I have all the paperwork/serial numbers for both consoles, so they better not try anything shifty
I'm not saying that is how it works... to me that wouldn't make any sense but I don't have any experience with this matter except what I described above.

It was my understanding that extended warranties cover the original and any replacement consoles for the duration of the warranty. Hopefully that is your experience.

I called them on Sunday morning, and he assured me that the warranty covers me as the account holder and any PS4 that I have it registered on/Sony replaces with

Any replacement console or repair work would be covered by the manufacture warranty right now. The extended warranty doesn't go into effect until after the first year of ownership. After that if they replace your console instead of repairing it, they would be considered as fully fulfilling the contract of the warranty. This applies to all warranty plans you purchase whether from Sony, Retailers (GeekSquad), or Squaretrade.

If We replace the Product with another of equal value or like kind and quality, We shall have satisfied all obligations owed under this Service Plan.

Update Time! I got my PS4 back, set up my account, downloaded the patches/PSN games I needed, then turned off the system from 12/20 until 12/27. I played about an hour and a half of Killzone Shadow Fall yesterday and stopped playing for the night. I turn the system back on today and the screen is flickering again.... I'm considering just getting rid of my PS4 and moving over to the Xbox One if Sony doesn't get their shit together.

Wow thats some bad luck you have there man. You sure its nit the hdmi cable or your tv thats wrong this time?

So you didn't notice it when you first got it back and did the necessary updates but now you notice it?

I don't know man. Something doesn't add up

^ I just have a hard time believing it's hardware failure if it originally worked and now it doesn't (HDMI is either going to have a problem or it isn't...) and it doesn't sound like it is a software issue either.

Yeah, there's something else going on here, sounds like the TV, cable, or another issue. Better take that PS4 to a totally different TV and use a different hdmi cable too, to test it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just plugged my PS3's HDMI cable into my PS4 and I no longer have flickering and the system is running at least 2x as fast (maybe there was some video latency caused by my PS4s cable?). What do you know. I guess my first PS4 wasn't broken afterall.

I'm having something similar happen to my PS4.

Only had it about 2 weeks. Have played Ghosts, digital download, system has been rock solid.

Tried watching Homeland DVD. Watched the first epsiode, no issues. 2nd episode, screen would flicker and then the system would turn off.

Needed to boot into Safe Mode to get it to turn back on.

Issue repeated itself several times at random intervals, sometimes after minutes, sometimes after an hour or so.

Just went back to the PS3 for my movie watching.

Haven't tried another cable yet, but not sure why Ghosts would work fine but movies wouldn't.

bread's done
Back