Difference between Greatest Hits vs. Non Greates Hit?

xx2541

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Hi folks,

Just wondering- is there really any difference between "greatest hit" and "non greatest hit" versions of games? Different content? Exact same game?

I'm just trying to figure out why people dislike GH versions of games. It seems to me that they are the exact same game but at a lower price point? (Devil may cry 3 SE might be the exception, though).

Am I missing something?

Cheers!

Dan

I'm late in the game so most of my games are GHs (the orginals no longer sold in the stores). Personally, i hate the covers, but the game itself is no different from the orginal. So price-wise, yeah, GHs are clearly the choice if you haven't play/own the games yet.

Two of my best purchase of all times were :gc: Windwaker ($16ish with taxes) and :ps2: God of War ($14.99 exact).

Of course, some originals include extra stuffs, like Windwaker, it came with another Zelda game. So, there are reasons why people buy the originals besides cover and all.

Silent Hill 2 added the features from the X-box version to the PS2 GH.

Lego Star Wars GH was a DVD instead of a CD which means less noise from the drive.

I think there was one other that changed the game in the GH version...

[quote name='Kenshin9']Silent Hill 2 added the features from the X-box version to the PS2 GH.

Lego Star Wars GH was a DVD instead of a CD which means less noise from the drive.

I think there was one other that changed the game in the GH version...[/quote]

For those reasons, that's why i perfer GHs... Of course, you gotta wait for a while for GHs. Now, i really want to play Gow2, heehee, i don't think i want to wait that long for GoW2 GH. By then, GoW3 :bouncy:

Oh and I suppose you could also note that almost every GH from Activision recently has included the features in the "limited edition" release of the original version. Kinda funny actually since the people who paid only $40 for their original are getting less than the GH purchasers.

I agree with the posts above regarding GH over non GH.

I just don't understand why I see so many traders/posters on this site say NO GREATEST HITS or GREATEST HITS SUCK. Is it because of some anal Type A collector fetish? I do agree that the covers suck, but I'm not PLAYING the covers- so who cares?

If it is the exact same game, and possibly with ADDITIONAL content for a cheaper price I see it as a win!

I guess I'm not type A enough...

some kids get their panties in a bunch because they look different, mostly collecters and resellers. to them i say boo-fucking-hoo.

Virtua Fighter, Midnight Club 3 and Devil May Cry 3 and Silent Hill come to mind when thinking about superior GH versions.

Part of it is collecting, and like books, comics, sports cards, etc. a reprint is inherently less valuable. For some, some of the fun of a hobby is collecting, and the less valuable reprint is less collectible.
This can be the same feeling as buying a "brand" even if it seems to have no difference than another product and may even be of lower quality.
Or an item that is used, but in mint condition versus something that is new.

With videogames, collecting is still in an infancy phase and there is very little happening on the production end to differentiate a reprint other than the greatest hits packaging. So it gets more attention than it might otherwise.

If it's all about collecting, then the original title that has become a greatest hit will have less value anyway because the market has been flooded with the title, thus making it a "Greatest Hit"- no?

If these games were rare I could see your point, but there will be a gazzillion copies of the original game and the Greatest hit version on the market, thus rendering the non GH version less valuable I would think. :whistle2:k

As keeper of the semi-official CAG PS2 GH list, here are the differences.

First and formost lower price of course.

Red labels on case and game (on the top and where it reads Playstation 2 on the disc itself)

And occasionally certain differences (like some of the ones people have pointed out so far)

Examples, like Silent Hill 2 with the extra scenerio, DMC3 with added content, Twisted Metal Black including TMB: Online in the package, it used to come by itself, and sometimes different covers like DBZ Budokai 3.

As far as the people who bitch about the red bar, I mean get over it, :roll: usually it's a revision of the game, so it's less buggy, or you get added content, and for the cheaper price, I'll live with the red labels, they don't matter to me one bit.

Kenshin, you have anymore information on those Activision extras? I usually denote when a game comes with different content in it's GH form, but if it's something trivial that doesn't overly affect gameplay, I probably won't waste time adding to my list.

With videogames, collecting is still in an infancy phase and there is very little happening on the production end to differentiate a reprint other than the greatest hits packaging. So it gets more attention than it might otherwise.
I don't agree with that, especially with the evidence pointing out the facts otherwise, sure over 200 (of the over 217 at the moment) are basically the same thing that was released at retail, but there are small scants that have extra content and to me are worth getting over their original counterparts.

I purposely gave away my original copy of SH2 for the GH version because of the extras on the GH version.

And another thing a lot of the GH games are about 10x rarer than the original, case in point Silent Hill 2, I had one heck of a time finding the GH version anywhere when I was looking for it, not even 6 mos. after it was released.

Anyway hope this answers the OP's questions...

I think I'm the only one who actually likes the Yellow bar on the Player's Choice games...

Anyway, I'll take GH or non-GH, but non-GH is definitely more appealing to me. Also, the vast majority of my game collection is non-GH and non-GH versions also look better.

I don't really care if a game is GH or not, but for some strange reason when Kingdom Hearts 2 became a GH title, I "needed" to buy the non-GH version.

[quote name='Dante Devil']I don't really care if a game is GH or not, but for some strange reason when Kingdom Hearts 2 became a GH title, I "needed" to buy the non-GH version.[/quote]

Maybe it's because they butchered the entire cover by taking away the shine...

Lack of color on cd labels? Black and white manuals? Ugly red stripe? Crappier paper in the manual?

Let's compile a list of GH titles that are different content-wise from the original release:

Call of Duty 2:BRO SE - extra materials carried over from original CE
DBZ Budokai 3 - Japanese voice option
Devil May Cry 3 SE - added content
Midnight Club 3 SE - added content
Silent Hill 2 - extra scenario from Xbox version
Twisted Metal Black - online stuff
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution - added content

Any more to add?

[quote name='eau']Let's compile a list of GH titles that are different content-wise from the original release:

Call of Duty 2:BRO SE - extra materials carried over from original CE
DBZ Budokai 3 - Japanese voice option
Devil May Cry 3 SE - added content
Midnight Club 3 SE - added content
Silent Hill 2 - extra scenario from Xbox version
Twisted Metal Black - online stuff
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution - added content

Any more to add?[/quote]

Well, there was a GH version of the original VF without the Evolution content and the original GH prints of TM:B didnt have the online disc (I got mine in 2002 and it doesent have it).

Beyond the additional content issue, I always wondered if GH/PC titles had minor bug and stability fixes in them. It would be nothing the publisher would trumpet ('cause then people might start requesting "fixed" copies to replace their buggy original purchases ;)), but it would be interesting if there was a list somewhere of which games were "revised" and which were exact copies of the original code. If there were any revisions on a title I'd want the GH/PC version, otherwise I'd go for the original for the aesthetics (without paying any more of course - it ain't worth all that).

But it seems like there must be revisions in code on some of these games, but it is something I've never heard about. One minor example of something that needs revision - Lego Star Wars II for GC does not properly support the bigger memory card (your game save from the original game has to be in the lower portion of the memory card to be recognized). This is a fairly minor fix that they ought to provide for any PC version should that come out. I'm sure there are many more things like this, including more fatal bugs.

[quote name='io']Beyond the additional content issue, I always wondered if GH/PC titles had minor bug and stability fixes in them. It would be nothing the publisher would trumpet ('cause then people might start requesting "fixed" copies to replace their buggy original purchases ;)), but it would be interesting if there was a list somewhere of which games were "revised" and which were exact copies of the original code. If there were any revisions on a title I'd want the GH/PC version, otherwise I'd go for the original for the aesthetics (without paying any more of course - it ain't worth all that).

But it seems like there must be revisions in code on some of these games, but it is something I've never heard about. One minor example of something that needs revision - Lego Star Wars II for GC does not properly support the bigger memory card (your game save from the original game has to be in the lower portion of the memory card to be recognized). This is a fairly minor fix that they ought to provide for any PC version should that come out. I'm sure there are many more things like this, including more fatal bugs.[/quote]

I know this isn't PS2, but I've heard that the GH version of MC3 for the PSP tuned up the loading times and framerate stability, so fixing a few bugs/stability issues may not be entirely out of the ordinary.

Did someone post above bitching about the quality of paper used in the manual for GH versions? Really? Is that really a deal breaker?

I guess that explains the mindset right there that certain people have about only owning non GH versions of games.

I'll take the cheaper price, added content, fixed bugs, RED BAR and cheaper paper for the manual any day in the GREATEST HITS!

I don't particularly mind having GH titles in my collection. In fact, I'll go for the GH ones if they have added content or improvements. However, if they are the same content wise, I genearlly prefer the original version but I won't go beyond and pay more than what the GH version would cost me.

It would be great if there was a database for all "greatest hits" releases for the various systems noting the differences between the originals and rereleases.

It's like book collecting. First editions go for much much more than later printings. People want the first copy. It's why low numbers go for more money when there limited runs of items. I've seen people pay double because something was 800/10,000 instead of 6,790/10,000. When I asked the reason, they said, "Because it was one of the first thousand printed of the run." I then countered with, "No, it was one of the first thousand to be stamped."

People like to be anal about their video game collections just like any other collector. Some people want to be able to retire or whatever when they decide to sell and they don't want to be stuck with something that will be of less value in later years. If you don't mind the GH labels, it's an easy way to get great deals on games.

i think at first sony decided to release greatest hits titles with the intention of adding additional content so that even when people have already bought it before will still buy it again just for that. ive read about this awhile back when i had one of the video game mags in the past. but nowadays, quantity matters. if it doesnt sell at full price, slap a GH/PC logo on them and change the covers a bit, and resell. it works for the most part believe me. theres alot more people that can afford $20 games than those that can afford it at $50 :)

in the gh version of ratchet and clank 1 they say that you cant do the unlimited bolt trick and in the new version of gta san andreas ( not technically gh but oh well ) they made the rc plane mission easier to play( your gas doesnt run out as fast or something). but yeah on some gh games they add new stuff or fix problems or some are just the same only they look different.

[quote name='Rozz']Well, there was a GH version of the original VF without the Evolution content and the original GH prints of TM:B didnt have the online disc (I got mine in 2002 and it doesent have it).[/quote]

This is true, and on my list showing such, thing is though Evolution IS the ADDED content, it was NEVER released as a NON-GH version that I can remember.

EAU, thanks for the heads up on Call of Duty 2, I totally missed that from my list, and added ** (signifiying added bonus content not in the original release)

[quote name='Gentlegamer']It would be great if there was a database for all "greatest hits" releases for the various systems noting the differences between the originals and rereleases.[/quote]

Apparently I've wasted the last 2 years of my life keeping my personal and the CAG list updated all this time, I do list (when I know anyway) that a GH title contains materials added to the newer version that weren't in the original release.

Now I DO NOT say mostly what the differences are, but I figure people are savy enough to look into it themselves, I would hope anyway, based on what my list as a starting point to know there is new stuff in the game.

And as far as a database for everything, that is more time than I have in a day to do something like that, the PS2 GH list is time consuming enough to keep pretty accurate.

That's why it's a sticky up on top of this section, I encourage everyone to feel free and look it over and post any suggestions, additions, anything they think is missing to it.

[quote name='lokizz']in the gh version of ratchet and clank 1 they say that you cant do the unlimited bolt trick and in the new version of gta san andreas ( not technically gh but oh well ) they made the rc plane mission easier to play( your gas doesnt run out as fast or something). but yeah on some gh games they add new stuff or fix problems or some are just the same only they look different.[/quote]

I have the GH verision of R&C and that unlimited bolt trick is still in there, I know I did it, and I left my PS2 on for ages to do it, so that was never fixed.

As far as San Andreas, (other than there being too many damn versions of it out there) the GH/Special Edition removed the Hot Coffee thing, as the main change, if they changed other things like the RC car, I'm not familiar with it.

I know in Vice City, they removed the "Kill the Haitians" name from that mission and called it something else after the Haitian community threw a fit about it. As well as made old saves incompatible with that version, so it's basically Vice City ver. 1.1.

[quote name='uncle5555']

And another thing a lot of the GH games are about 10x rarer than the original, case in point Silent Hill 2, I had one heck of a time finding the GH version anywhere when I was looking for it, not even 6 mos. after it was released.

[/quote]

Yeah this complete and utter bs. Pointing to SH2 ( which you can find a shit load of copies for sale online as the GH ver. and it is not rare in any game store I have seen. ) to try and prove this point makes me laugh. Ones a game hits the GH selling number they stop makeing black lable copies. Why do you think they are cheaper to buy anywhere new or used when a black lable goes for more, because they are rarer? Wtf are you thinking?

[quote name='LostRoad']Yeah this complete and utter bs. Pointing to SH2 ( which you can find a shit load of copies for sale online as the GH ver. and it is not rare in any game store I have seen. ) to try and prove this point makes me laugh. Ones a game hits the GH selling number they stop makeing black lable copies. Why do you think they are cheaper to buy anywhere new or used when a black lable goes for more, because they are rarer? Wtf are you thinking?[/quote]

Huh??? Ever heard of a coherent sentence?

And as far as MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE was concerned that was the situation. (AS IN I had a hard time finding it in my area, or online, not that IT WAS rare, there my oh so bright friend)

I know they make more and the print runs are USUALLY large for CERTAIN GH reprints, but this isn't always the case, sure I can probably hit Ebay right now and find Shit loads of GH SH2 copies on there, but when I was looking back when it was originally released, I couldn't find them very easily.

You know 4-5 years ago when I got it....(helps to stop and think sometimes before being a smartass think-ya-know-it-all)

But there ARE rare or expensive GH games out there for your information. On PS1 for instance...FF7, CV:SotN, FF: Tactics, ect. all go for nifty prices.

Anyway I don't know why your blowing a fuse over what I said, next time read a little clearer huh and do us both a small favor, before your mouth/fingers get the need to spout off nonsensically.

Edit:
I wasn't gonna but I'm gonna shred your post apart for the sheer thrill of pointing out errors in it. And because you are rude.

"Ones a game hits the GH selling number they stop makeing black lable copies"

The word is once.

Next up yes they do, however some games that go GH still have the originals on the shelves right next to them, see Kindgom Hearts 2 GH released recently, not like it was very hard to find compared to the GH version, but this is NOT the case for all games, some that do go GH have massive print runs and thats makes them, not so much rare as uncommon to find.

" to try and prove this point makes me laugh."

Glad I made you laugh, considering again it was MY personal exp. I was talking about and this was over 4 years ago, next time if you want to complain try to do so with the person who doesn't maintain the PS2 GH list, they might know a little less than me about this stuff and you might get a decent argument out of it from them.

"Why do you think they are cheaper to buy anywhere new or used when a black lable goes for more, because they are rarer?"

This isn't always the case, I'm sure Capbela's Big Game Hunter regular version is fetching those big prices in the secondary market compared to the GH version. They sell for about the same. Again not always true, but occasionally will happen.

If you bother to look at my list, there is quite a bit of crap on there, that I cannot honestly fathom how it made it on there to begin with. Sure some games command higher prices with the regular versions, but then again we're mainly talking about collectors who hate the Red Bar GH box, and HAVE an INSANE need to collect the original (My personal take on that nothing more or less, no offense to the people who do)

"Wtf are you thinking?"

Maybe this is something I should be asking you, now go away back to Gamefaqs, you bug me.

And my sincere apologies to everyone on this thread, I usually don't take heed of flaming troll posts, but this one just pissed me off.

And I'm just trying to help and post some constuctive, advice, help on something I think I know pretty much about.

[quote name='uncle5555']Huh??? Ever heard of a coherent sentence?

And as far as MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE was concerned that was the situation. (AS IN I had a hard time finding it in my area, or online, not that IT WAS rare, there my oh so bright friend)

I know they make more and the print runs are USUALLY large for CERTAIN GH reprints, but this isn't always the case, sure I can probably hit Ebay right now and find Shit loads of GH SH2 copies on there, but when I was looking back when it was originally released, I couldn't find them very easily.

You know 4-5 years ago when I got it....(helps to stop and think sometimes before being a smartass think-ya-know-it-all)

But there ARE rare or expensive GH games out there for your information. On PS1 for instance...FF7, CV:SotN, FF: Tactics, ect. all go for nifty prices.

Anyway I don't know why your blowing a fuse over what I said, next time read a little clearer huh and do us both a small favor, before your mouth/fingers get the need to spout off nonsensically.

Edit:
I wasn't gonna but I'm gonna shred your post apart for the sheer thrill of pointing out errors in it. And because you are rude.

"Ones a game hits the GH selling number they stop makeing black lable copies"

The word is once.

Next up yes they do, however some games that go GH still have the originals on the shelves right next to them, see Kindgom Hearts 2 GH released recently, not like it was very hard to find compared to the GH version, but this is NOT the case for all games, some that do go GH have massive print runs and thats makes them, not so much rare as uncommon to find.

" to try and prove this point makes me laugh."

Glad I made you laugh, considering again it was MY personal exp. I was talking about and this was over 4 years ago, next time if you want to complain try to do so with the person who doesn't maintain the PS2 GH list, they might know a little less than me about this stuff and you might get a decent argument out of it from them.

"Why do you think they are cheaper to buy anywhere new or used when a black lable goes for more, because they are rarer?"

This isn't always the case, I'm sure Capbela's Big Game Hunter regular version is fetching those big prices in the secondary market compared to the GH version. They sell for about the same. Again not always true, but occasionally will happen.

If you bother to look at my list, there is quite a bit of crap on there, that I cannot honestly fathom how it made it on there to begin with. Sure some games command higher prices with the regular versions, but then again we're mainly talking about collectors who hate the Red Bar GH box, and HAVE an INSANE need to collect the original (My personal take on that nothing more or less, no offense to the people who do)

"Wtf are you thinking?"

Maybe this is something I should be asking you, now go away back to Gamefaqs, you bug me.

And my sincere apologies to everyone on this thread, I usually don't take heed of flaming troll posts, but this one just pissed me off.

And I'm just trying to help and post some constuctive, advice, help on something I think I know pretty much about.[/quote]

Hate to brake it to you but your PERSONAL EXPERIENCE does not in any way make a game rare or harder to find Jim bob, move out of bfe or learn how to shop online. SH2 as a GH was never rare or hard to find though a online vender. Perhaps more than your second daddie would allow you to spend on it sure, but it even more so after it came out as a GH was it plentiful.

When did I say that there are not expensive GH games? Pointing out FF7, CV:SotN, FF: Tactics is funny. Do you think they cost what they do because they are 10x rarer than the original, or because the market has long since dried up for those games and the cheaper option is to buy them as greatest hits?

On a side note, stop pointing people to your list. Seems no one gives a shit since you have to keep talking about it. Woo hoo you made a list of GH PS2 games, no I will not look at your list. It has nothing to do with me calling your BS on what I quoted you saying.

Not blowing a fuse at all over this, just saying I don't like bullshit and I called you on yours deal with it.

[quote name='LostRoad']On a side note, stop pointing people to your list. Seems no one gives a shit since you have to keep talking about it. Woo hoo you made a list of GH PS2 games, no I will not look at your list.

Not blowing a fuse at all over this, just saying I don't like bullshit and I called you on yours deal with it.[/quote]
If you think you could do better than me with maintaining CAG's GH list, either step up or STFU...yeah I thought so. I don't see you and anyone else waiting or willing to maintain it.

I do it as a service to this community (for everything they've given me) and because I have a vested interest in the subject.

And lastly this is the only thing left to say to you because you are a rude jerk and a waste of my time and others as well. Go away troll....

DontFeedTheTroll.jpg

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']some kids get their panties in a bunch because they look different, mostly collecters and resellers. to them i say boo-fucking-hoo.[/quote]

I am a collector so I would prefer a non GH version. The case and disks look better when they are black label. Why are you getting your panties in a bunch because some people like black label over GH versions? Why the hell do you even care, exactly?

I only get Greatest Hits games if there's a notable game change, like Devil May Cry 3, or Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution. Why? Right now I've got 139 PS2 games, all black label. Add some red labels and the shelf just doesn't look as nice. It also makes the collection seem more valuable (I'd never sell them anyway), having red labels shows your cheapness and being the last person to play a particular title, but black labels make it seem like you get them full price at launch, you big spending stud you.

bread's done
Back