Digital Camera pricing trends

kaji7p56

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
I need a digital camera. I need one now. Should I buy a so-so (4mega-pixel) "point and shoot" :x camera for cheap? Or should I shell out $700+ for a decent (7-8 mega-pixel) amateur/pro camera with all the current features.? :D

The question is: Is it worth it to buy a crap camera and sell it when the 8-MP cameras get cheaper? Or should I just shell out the cash for a good one now? How quickly do prices fall? Should I wait until the begining of next year?

Help me out!!!!

[quote name='punqsux']what are you gunna be using it for?[/quote]

For now (this semester) I will use it to take pictures of crap for use in Photoshop. I can use a shitty one for this.

I plan to get into Photography eventually, but It feels wasteful to buy 2 cameras (it's not about the money). I want to be able to take crystal clear photos of buildings, landscapes, cars, people, bugs, interiors, and so-on.

The thing is, I see prices going down quickly but I don't know if I should wait a few months until better quality/cheaper cameras come out.

Well, If you are going to PRINT large photos, then the better the MP, the better the picture. 5MP is usually more than enough for the average user.

I've actually seen some 7MP around $400.

If you want to save some money on a decent camera....that you can attach all sorts of different lens too, I have one for sale...well, soon for sale. Was going to put it on EBAY in the next week or two.

It's the Sony DSC-F707 5MP camera. It's a larger camera, so that is why I'm selling it. It's more of a camera for a photographer, not the casual user. It's in great shape....also comes with 128MB memory card, 16MB card, case, battery AC charger. PM me if you are interested....looking to get around $450 or so for it...was $1000 new.

If you want a new camera now in the 4mp range you can get one for about 100 bucks on ebay... i would do that and wait for the price to drop some technology moves so fast, if you don't need the expensive camera now don't get it just think the tax on the 800$ camera will bring it up to about 850 depending on where you live or you could just get a 4mp for 100 bucks use it for a year and the other camera will probably drop in price by 50% saving you three hundred bucks... well at least this is the cheap ass way to go about it.

[quote name='auralia']If you want a new camera now in the 4mp range you can get one for about 100 bucks on ebay... i would do that and wait for the price to drop some technology moves so fast, if you don't need the expensive camera now don't get it just think the tax on the 800$ camera will bring it up to about 850 depending on where you live or you could just get a 4mp for 100 bucks use it for a year and the other camera will probably drop in price by 50% saving you three hundred bucks... well at least this is the cheap ass way to go about it.[/quote]

That sounds like a good plan. Can Ebay be trusted for such an important purchase? We shall see...

[quote name='kaji7p56'][quote name='punqsux']id reccomend this. 6.1mp is great for 8x10 prints, and i hear its good for bigger, but ive never made bigger so i cant say.

http://vipcamera.com/product.asp?id=nkd70[/quote]

Damn, $600 for an SLR?!? That is really cheap! :D I know, I have to buy the lens. I will consider it.[/quote]

yeah nikon and canon just came out with their new 8mp slr's so the 6mp's dropped. lenses can be had cheap brand new from wholesalers on ebay, just make sure you get insurance

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='kaji7p56'][quote name='punqsux']id reccomend this. 6.1mp is great for 8x10 prints, and i hear its good for bigger, but ive never made bigger so i cant say.

http://vipcamera.com/product.asp?id=nkd70[/quote]

Damn, $600 for an SLR?!? That is really cheap! :D I know, I have to buy the lens. I will consider it.[/quote]

yeah nikon and canon just came out with their new 8mp slr's so the 6mp's dropped. lenses can be had cheap brand new from wholesalers on ebay, just make sure you get insurance[/quote]

So, will the 8MP SLR's drop this much when the 10+ models come out? If so, I might get the cheapie from Ebay and wait it out. Thanks for the link though, it has some of the cheapest prices I have seen on the net.

[quote name='kaji7p56']

So, will the 8MP SLR's drop this much when the 10+ models come out? If so, I might get the cheapie from Ebay and wait it out. Thanks for the link though, it has some of the cheapest prices I have seen on the net.[/quote]

im sure they will but that coule be a couple years

[quote name='kaji7p56'][quote name='doubledown']Here's a review of mine....of if you want to get one like it.....there are a fwe reviews on the page.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=303[/quote]

They are selling it for $395 refurbished on the site. Isn't that cheaper than what you are selling it for? :D[/quote]

Yeah, but mine is not refurbished. I barely have used it honestly...just some casual pictures. I personally stay away from refurbished....but it's just me. I'm flexible on my price....I'm sure I can get $400 on EBAY for it, so I'm not worried.

Mine also comes with:
Memory Card 128MB & 16MB (Sony Memory media is the most expensive for some reason)
Memory Card reader
Sony Carrying Case
Normal cables to attach to TV
AC charger

I've got a Canon EOS digital rebel SLR .. 6.8mp. It's an SLR, so you can get different Canon EF lenses for it to suit your need. We absolutely love it. Of course it costs a pretty penny still. I think they're running in the $800ish range now with a 18-55mm lens.. (looks like there's a canon rebate going on as well, so it might run even less).

This is the best consumer digital camera I've ever laid my hands on..

Here's a great review:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

bread's done
Back