Digital Devil Saga 1 currently available at GS.com ($39.99)

Thought about it, decided to order a couple more as separate orders. Figure that way, I'd increase my chances of actually getting at least one complete/decent copy, and can return or sell the other ones.

[quote name='thebob101']He used AFF25 for 25% off used games.[/QUOTE]

Hm... 25% off? Maybe I should order one then...

Nah. Already got a copy.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Damn! All gone!
That was quick... :)[/QUOTE]

Reload the page: it'll be back in stock.

I've got a feeling this is just a glitch of some kind. There's no way they have this many copies... especially to last more than half an hour.

Another one just popped up, was able to snag it for a little under $36. Excellent! And if it's an error, so be it. Worth a shot, at the very least!

[quote name='underliness']Ah damn looks like there was a Nocturne too. (back ordered now) But at the steeper price of 59.99.[/quote]

nope, that's back in stock now too.

[quote name='contej85']nope, that's back in stock now too.[/QUOTE]

Darn, I wanna pull the trigger but something's holding me back....

[quote name='chicagoz']Darn, I wanna pull the trigger but something's holding me back....[/quote]

Haha me too..I'm trying to get some money for a DS Lite and then GS decides they want to bust out all the rare games tonight. Nocturne is 51.00 for me after discount. I would probably buy it in the store if I could see the condition, and if it had a package, but hard to do it online.

[quote name='underliness']Haha me too..I'm trying to get some money for a DS Lite and then GS decides they want to bust out all the rare games tonight. Nocturne is 51.00 for me after discount. I would probably buy it in the store if I could see the condition, and if it had a package, but hard to do it online.[/quote]

Seeing disk only copies on other sites for $90 makes it an easy buy regardless.

Tempted to buy ICO, but I'm skeptical that I'll get the manual and original boxart too. I may just go back to ebay and try to buy ICO for cheap there.

Well I just checked and Nocturne and DDS are at a GS near me, or so says their availability checker. I need to cash my massive 2 week paycheck before I buy anything anyways or I would probably overdraft into my savings. Christmas presents and New Years booze killed my wallet :cry: .

I finally decided to get a copy of Nocturne. My total was $56.03 with the 25% off coupon and 2 day shipping. Thanks for the coupon.

I was curious and checked if any stores have Nocturne...and low and behold, two stores near me have 1-3 copies. I think I'll be waking up early and checking them out. One store is 2 blocks from my place!

So here's the question, only game in the Tensei series I've played is Persona 3. Which is the best of the series? Are they all worth playing at this point? Trying to fill out my PS2 RPG collection, and collection in general, but I only want the truly "must-have" titles.

Wow, no Nocturne at 30+ GS stores within 100 miles of me :rofl:.
Oh well... That's pretty much the only PS2 RPG I don't have. I'll get it some day. C'mon reprint, c'mon reprint!

Hmm lots of people love Nocturne but I kind of thought it was boring. And I thought Persona 2 was only "ok." I still have high hopes for Persona 3 (have it just haven't played it) though - it looks really interesting to me.

[quote name='underliness']Still says there is stock online for me, try it again.[/QUOTE]

Well, it says backordered online. But regardless I don't want to spend $50+ cash on it for a potentially horrendous copy (scratched and disc-only). If I could find it in store (to inspect) and use my credit I'd probably go for it (even though my cheap-ass tendencies make me wince at paying near that much for it).

Edit - OK, apparently I can order it. But you can't use credit online any more, right? I know you could in the old EB days.

[quote name='io']Well, it says backordered online. But regardless I don't want to spend $50+ cash on it for a potentially horrendous copy (scratched and disc-only). If I could find it in store (to inspect) and use my credit I'd probably go for it (even though my cheap-ass tendencies make me wince at paying near that much for it).

Edit - OK, apparently I can order it. But you can't use credit online any more, right? I know you could in old EB days.[/quote]

Yeah me too luckily I have a DDS withing 5 miles and a Nocturne within 15 miles. Now I just need to work up the balls to go game shopping when its going to be -15* tomorrow :cold:

EDIT: and no can't use credit online,

[quote name='contej85']So here's the question, only game in the Tensei series I've played is Persona 3. Which is the best of the series? Are they all worth playing at this point? Trying to fill out my PS2 RPG collection, and collection in general, but I only want the truly "must-have" titles.[/quote]

I enjoyed Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga a little more than P3. That's not to say that P3 isn't a great game, I just had more fun with the others.

If I had to choose 1 SMT game for PS2 it would be Nocturne, but yes, they're all worth playing.

What are the names of the games that are like this. I know nothing about the games. Except that I keep hearing that there rare, and hard as hell to find. Whats the difference between them. Are they sequels or completely different games.

[quote name='Mako1215']What are the names of the games that are like this. I know nothing about the games. Except that I keep hearing that there rare, and hard as hell to find. Whats the difference between them. Are they sequels or completely different games.[/QUOTE]

Digital Devil Saga (DDS) 2 is a continuation of 1. There are some references to other Shin Megami Tensei (SMT) games in the DDS series. They are part of the SMT Universe. As far as I know, even in Japan, most of them are only on Sony consoles.

Other games like this: SMT: Nocturne (PS2), Persona (PS1), Persona 2 Eternal Punishment (PS1--direct sequel to Persona 1), Persona 2 Innocent Sin JP (PS1--we never had a US release) and Persona 3 (PS2). Persona 2 Innocent Sin is also a direct sequel to Persona 1, but it's a completely different game from Persona 2 Eternal Punishment. There are a couple of other titles in the SMT series (I think two more, since Nocturne is Part III).

They aren't hard to find or rare. Dinopark Tycoon for 3DO is rare (sealed, complete or disc only are all rare). Sealed copies of these games are more difficult to find, but they are also not rare.

In the case of these Japanese-Style RPGs, demand has outstripped supply. People want this bad enough to pay over the original MSRP for a complete copy. Fourty-dollars (w/an extra 25% off with aff25) is a great deal for DDS1.

[quote name='Mako1215']Ahhh that explains a lot thanks. For RPG fans are they worth a buy and play?[/QUOTE]

I like the series because it's pretty dark and has a distinct Japanese feel to it. As RPG standards go, the gameplay is above average throughout the series. I don't know what type of RPGs you like, so I can only recommend to people who like solid Japanese-Style RPGs. IMO, Oblivion and WoW are completely different to these types of games.

I'm usually not a ratings whore, but you should hit up IGN, GameSpot, or other similar sites to read more about the gameplay.

I always wanted to like these games more than I do. I thought Nocturne was really interesting and a lot of fun until I hit the game's first major boss (Matador) and spent nearly 3 hours grinding to beat him (and even then I needed a guide), and I've heard it just gets harder from there. The game is absolutely beautiful though, but I fear I lack the patience to ever beat it.

DDS was better in a lot of ways, but the random encounters were even more irritating as there's no warning meter so as to mentally prepare you for the jolt of going into battle. Even worse, the dungeons were needlessly convoluted and mazelike, making the random encounters more irritating yet. Granted the combat system is excellent, but the game progressed at a snail's pace and I'm not sure when I'll ever be in the mood to finish it (I only made it about 10 hours in).

Alright... what is this horseshit?

Anybody else already been charged for this? I ordered a copy last night with the 25% off coupon for the hell of it that I could get lucky and get a copy to flip or something. But even though this won't ship as it looks like a glitch... they've already charged my credit card!:bomb:

[quote name='chicagoz']Ouch! My order for Nocturne is showing Backordered![/quote]
I actually found Nocturne on the site a couple nights ago and hesitated because I really want the case, manual, and soundtrack, all in at least decent condition. I instead waited until the next morning and checked my local B&M Gamestop and EBGames to no success. I came back, and Nocturne was gone.

I finally just broke down and paid the money for the game. About $88.00 shipped for a copy with all the components including the soundtrack in mint condition. And the reason I say this to you guys is because, while I know a lot of us here are obviously cheap asses (heck, it was painful for me to open up my wallet like that for this game), this is one game where, if you can't find a B&M copy anyway, you're probably just gonna have to spend some money, and do it sooner than later.

If you guys continue to wait for gamestop used deals and stuff like this to pop up, the game is just going to get rarer and rarer like it is doing at this very minute, and the price will continue to go up and up and up. On ebay, just about any Buy It Now auction is asking for $100+ and just about every normal auction ends no lower than $80 before shipping. On Amazon, the cheapest the game goes there is $80 + shipping for a just a scratched up disk. Heck, I see an auction for a mint condition about of the strategy guide going for $80 shipped!

The the thing is, unless Atlus issues a reprint and puts more copies in circulation, this game looks like its gonna become a Radiant Silvergun-type valuable in the future, especially given that you're already hard-pressed to find a sealed copy that isn't gonna run you close to $200.

Wait and/or hesitate too long and your wallet may suffer all the more. I'll sure enough be taking very good care of my copy.

But still, I direct a bitter eye at Atlus for obviously shipping an overly limited quantities of their games.

[quote name='VWarrior']

But still, I direct a bitter eye at Atlus for obviously shipping an overly limited quantities of their games.[/quote]

OVerly limted?

They make niche JRPGs and the like, and simply use a very different business model from the big guys. Instead of shipping 10 million copies and hoping that half of them eventually sell without being clearanced, they ship only enough copies that they are sure they will sell through. The games are always very easy to get at release, and just become scarce quickly.

Unlike huge publishers, Atlus can't afford to have copies sitting on shelves or shipped back to them. That isn't their business model. And with that kind of publisher, if you think the $50 asking price at release is too much, they'd rather not have you as a customer, because you will cost them money. They don't sell enough copies to have them selling later for $20. Not the way their model functions.

I found a copy in good condition with the original case and manual using the local store availability search function. Nabbed it for $32.46 after taxes and using that 25% off coupon. Thanks, OP, for bringing it up.

bread's done
Back