Digital Devil Saga 1 currently available at GS.com ($39.99)

[quote name='contej85']OVerly limted?

They make niche JRPGs and the like, and simply use a very different business model from the big guys. Instead of shipping 10 million copies and hoping that half of them eventually sell without being clearanced, they ship only enough copies that they are sure they will sell through. The games are always very easy to get at release, and just become scarce quickly.

Unlike huge publishers, Atlus can't afford to have copies sitting on shelves or shipped back to them. That isn't their business model. And with that kind of publisher, if you think the $50 asking price at release is too much, they'd rather not have you as a customer, because you will cost them money. They don't sell enough copies to have them selling later for $20. Not the way their model functions.[/quote]
I realize thats their business model, which is why I edited my post when I originally followed up that very statement with: "They need to stop doing this". But that doesn't make me any less bitter about it. Its very common for a publisher to ship enough copies to go around long after its initial release and quite uncommon for a publisher to do what Atlus does (considering the quality of products), so I don't just automatically forgive them.

I actually think there is a tradeoff effect of this. A positive side is that if they consistency sell enough copies at least break even, they minimize losses on prints that sit on shelves until the price drops as well as the number of secondhand copies in circulation that they make absolutely nothing off of. Also, the inevitable paranoia this will create in fans that if I they don't pick up a copy within the vicinity of release, they were have to go through a hassle of finding a copy when they are ready/can afford it and likely have to pay more than they would've otherwise, and thus help maximize the number of sales at full price.

On the other hand, they are actually directly limiting their potential market and fanbase simply due to the fact that it becomes hard to find copies shortly after release, and if one does learn about the games by then, what do they have to do? Pay 125% or more of the original price.

I'm not gonna speak for a lot of people (but this may indeed apply to a lot of people), but i'd never even heard of Nocturne 5 months ago and had limited knowledge of the Shin Megami Tensei series, period. If I weren't such a hardcore gamer (rather quite a casual), then if I'd suddenly learned about Nocturne and said, "Oh, i'd like this try this", go to retail stores, can't find a copy anywhere, go to stores that deal in secondhand games and not even find one, then look online and realize that the best deal I could find on a new copy was 220% of the original price, then I, and I know for sure more than a few casuals I know would just say "ahh, forget this, I'm not paying that much for this game!" and probably never even give the game or the series another serious thought.

I have no problem believe there are many out there who are indeed potential fans, but not open-minded/willing enough to make that kind of sacrifice to discover just what this series, and more importantly, this company (Atlus) is all about. And I also wanna say I especially sympathize with those who aren't really cheap asses, rather, they just can't afford to buy a lot of games at full price, especially considering today's standard is $60.

If Atlus is satisfied with that, fine. But I don't have to like it. If Atlus is doing this because they have to financially, then I understand an i'm more sympathetic...but I still don't have to like it. Either way (Atlus either doing this out of preference or necessity), yes, the circulation is overly limited. And I mean that in the raw, purely realistic/litteral context that there are simply not very many copies to go around. Thus, the rarity-induced value of a sealed copy can realistically ask for upwards of $200. And when your product is limited, so is your audience.

Hopefully that makes where i'm coming from more clear. I am very much an Atlus fan, I love their games. Admittedly, me being a cheap ass is likely a big reason why this aggravates me, but the fact is i'm not a cheap ass purely out of preference, either. I'm not made of money and I just happen to be a college student living in an apartment at one of the most expensive public institutions in the United States, so in many ways, I don't have much choice than to be a cheap ass. As a hardcore gamer, its all I can afford to be right now, lol.

All I know is that I save a fortune on other games so I can easily afford the Atlus titles I'm interested in at or very-close-to launch. ;)

Well, that and this area has a few big RPG players who like returning their stuff to EB/GS where it languishes on the shelf for weeks/months. It's quite nice when the next big title comes out and then a beautiful Suikoden 2 goes back to the store, then Nocturne, then DDS, followed by Disgaea 2...

All in all, I have to thank the OP once again for the heads-up. The order went through and it should be around any day now!

[quote name='VWarrior']Lots of stuff, condensing for space.[/quote]

Oh I wasn't attacking your stance, just explaining to those who may be unaware why it is so. The thing is, the market for a last-gen social-sim/dungeon-crawl/jrpg is incredibly niche. I love Atlus titles for the most part. I've been a fan since the PS1 days when I didn't search out Atlus games, but instead discovered later that most of my favorites were in fact Atlus (12 year olds really don't care about publishers). it sucks that this is the way it is, but the copies sitting on shelves at K-mart's all over tell the story - mainstream gamers don't want unique quirky titles, they want hardware pushing Final Fantasy games for their RPG fix.

[quote name='1SwtDeception']I drove 30 minutes to get mine, so I hope this is worth the play. Anyone wants to sell their box art and soundtrack :D! (worth a shot anyways).[/quote]

I have the box. I don't know if I want to sell it, or how much I want for it.

Just never thought these games would suddenly become so fake ebay rare, I rented DDS, DDS2 and SMT but never bothered to buy copies, Persona 3 just came out last year and its already fake rare prices... wtf

I agree that its pretty lame that altus can't at least keep the copies flowing for 2 years, even 1 full year after release, bogus.

But if you want 100 copies of crappy atlus games like Contact, you can find em easy...

The criticisms of DDS are all valid, there are way too many random encounters and the layout is way too maze like, its not the end of the world though. I find the games really fun, but I got side tracked by Shadow Hearts when I was playing them, Shadow Hearts just has a more fun combat system IMO, although DDS is much more challenging

I definately needed a guide for Nocturne. The one double jump makes (made?) is superb. Beat the game late last year after pushing myself to get the 'true demon' ending.

Darn missed my chance to buy my 2nd copy of Nocturne and DDS1. I haven't broken the shrink wrap from both of them, yet, but would like to add used copies of both games, and keep the other copies intact.

My order for Nocturne was backordered, so I was going to cancel thinking it would never ship. Lucky for me, I forgot to cancel my order... cuz it did end up shipping (to my suprise). Should have it Thursday. Hopefully, I'll luck out and get a case and manual.

[quote name='buckythekat']closest store to me with Nocturne is about 70 miles away... am almost half tempted to drive out there[/QUOTE]

depending on your MPG/car model it might be worth if.

If you are taking a SUV or Truck, not worth it.

[quote name='expane']depending on your MPG/car model it might be worth if.

If you are taking a SUV or Truck, not worth it.[/quote]
I'm leaning against it though it would only be $40 with the coupon.....

edit: it would be about 3 gallons of gas just to get there

for the record I ended up not going out to the store for Nocturne, I have plenty to play through as is and didn't feel it was worth the money and cost of gas to get it

[quote name='brianffrpg']Curious to know if anyone who ordered got their game yet?[/QUOTE]

I ordered Nocturne and got it today. Of course, minus instruction manual and it came in the generic gamestop/eb games case. It's scratched up alittle on the art side of the disc but the important part of the disc (the underside) looks pretty good. At least I get a chance to play a rare game for cheap.

I ordered DDS right after it was posted here and I checked my order and it says it is backordered. They have already charged my credit card. I am not happy with GS.

[quote name='chicagoz']I ordered Nocturne and got it today. Of course, minus instruction manual and it came in the generic gamestop/eb games case. It's scratched up alittle on the art side of the disc but the important part of the disc (the underside) looks pretty good. At least I get a chance to play a rare game for cheap.[/quote]

[quote name='bluekeith75']The art side is more important than the underside. A scratch on the art side 99.9% of the time will cause problems.[/quote]

I can't believe it is 2008 and some people don't know how CD/DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray works. BlueKeith is correct, chicagoz not so much.

I really wanted to get in on this deal, but it was OOS when I saw it. :(

Dudes - i can't even search for this damn game on gamestop.com . it always comes up as "not found" even when i just type in nocturne or digital devil. wtf.

[quote name='LoveMonkey']Dudes - i can't even search for this damn game on gamestop.com . it always comes up as "not found" even when i just type in nocturne or digital devil. wtf.[/quote]

At the bottom of the page you have to click 'Show backordered items'.

it looks like its bo again for dd1, even if they had it, the odds you get the outer box i think is like a little above nil, and if you get it the odds its in even decent condition is nill

[quote name='farley91']At the bottom of the page you have to click 'Show backordered items'.[/QUOTE]

Wow I did not know that. I just search it up gamestop "game title" -_-

[quote name='thebob101']I ordered DDS right after it was posted here and I checked my order and it says it is backordered. They have already charged my credit card. I am not happy with GS.[/quote]

Same for me. Given that this is might take a while to stock, is there a way to cancel the order?

[quote name='bluekeith75']The art side is more important than the underside. A scratch on the art side 99.9% of the time will cause problems.[/QUOTE]

Tell me you're kidding. I have a disc that's PRISTINE on the underside but the art/pic side is FUBAR'ed, and it plays pristine. Granted that this is only one example I've ever experienced personally. You're saying fate wanted this disc I have to play for me? Wow.

[quote name='Legendary Gokou']Same for me. Given that this is might take a while to stock, is there a way to cancel the order?[/QUOTE]

Yes, just call them and cancel your order.

[quote name='Legendary Gokou']Same for me. Given that this is might take a while to stock, is there a way to cancel the order?[/QUOTE]

Same with me for Nocturne. It showed out of stock but in the end, it did end up shipping, and Nocturne is supposedly harder to get a hold of than DDS 1. If you really want the game, give it a few more days before you cancel.

[quote name='Kendal']I can't believe it is 2008 and some people don't know how CD/DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray works. BlueKeith is correct, chicagoz not so much.

I really wanted to get in on this deal, but it was OOS when I saw it. :([/quote]

Speak for yourself... 2008 and people still act to know something when they don't
that is correct for CDs, but DVDs are different.
The Data film is sandwiched between two separate thin layers of plastic.
CDs are a single plastic layer with the data film directly on top and exposed.
So yes, a scratch on the top of a CD and your fucked.
Dvds you are fine.
Don't believe me? take a junk or blank DVD .. and stick your nail or a flathead in the middle ring of the disc and try to seperate the DVD in half.

I don't own any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray but they should be the same.

[quote name='supraazn']Speak for yourself... 2008 and people still act to know something when they don't
that is correct for CDs, but DVDs are different.
The Data film is sandwiched between two separate thin layers of plastic.
CDs are a single plastic layer with the data film directly on top and exposed.
So yes, a scratch on the top of a CD and your fucked.
Dvds you are fine.
Don't believe me? take a junk or blank DVD .. and stick your nail or a flathead in the middle ring of the disc and try to seperate the DVD in half.

I don't own any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray but they should be the same.[/QUOTE]

Um, I beg to differ, from personal experience. I've bought PS2 games (Kuon being one I can remember offhand) used from GameStop and the art/top side was scratched up, the underside was okay (as far as used games from GS go) and they would not play. I also had a Dreamcast game where the art side was scratched up and it was the same story, refused to play.

Perhaps it's just bad luck on my part, but I've never once had a disc where, if the art side was messed up, the disc would still play.

DVD is fabricated differently from CD.

The optical layer(s) of a DVD is sandwiched between 2 polycarbonate substrates. that of a CD is glued on top of a single polycarbonate substrate.

Thus, a deep scratch on top side of a CD will fubar it.

[quote name='Alien Spider']Um, I beg to differ, from personal experience. I've bought PS2 games (Kuon being one I can remember offhand) used from GameStop and the art/top side was scratched up, the underside was okay (as far as used games from GS go) and they would not play. I also had a Dreamcast game where the art side was scratched up and it was the same story, refused to play.

Perhaps it's just bad luck on my part, but I've never once had a disc where, if the art side was messed up, the disc would still play.[/quote]

Well Dreamcasts used CD instead of DVD so of course the top scratch is going to kill it.
As for the PS2 game if it was DVD and it still wouldn't work then maybe the scratch was REALLY hard and it caused alot more damage and pressure to the middle layer. But if it was only light scratches it shouldn't have done anything.

Thanks eau lol ... more technical and correct terms ... :cry: i was too lazy to look the words up.

[quote name='supraazn']Well Dreamcasts used CD instead of DVD so of course the top scratch is going to kill it.[/quote]

The Dreamcast actually used a proprietary format called GD-ROM.

[quote name='elmyra']The Dreamcast actually used a proprietary format called GD-ROM.[/QUOTE]

The only difference between GD-ROM and CD-ROM is that the pits on the disc are packed more closely together on the GD-ROM, thus affording them more storage space. Other than that, they're pretty much the same.

[quote name='supraazn']Well Dreamcasts used CD instead of DVD so of course the top scratch is going to kill it.
As for the PS2 game if it was DVD and it still wouldn't work then maybe the scratch was REALLY hard and it caused alot more damage and pressure to the middle layer. But if it was only light scratches it shouldn't have done anything.[/QUOTE]

lol possibly, I got to thinking and the reason I specifically remembered Kuon was because it actually had written in HUGE letters "DEFECTIVE" on the case. XD Sure enough, it was. And of course I ordered the game off GameStop.com (or EBGames.com, one of those) so I had to take it back to one of their stores for a replacement. The guys at the counter got a good chuckle out it too.

But nevertheless, I've never had a game play with the art side scratched up.

Just received my used copy of DDS 1 from GS.com. The disc is in great condition and it came complete with original case and manual. Stoked.

They had a copy of Nocturne by me...went to go get it and it was the Disc only and not the greatest shape >

I just picked this up last weekend from a trade show for 65. DVD, box, and CD were in great condition too. Found Digital Devil Saga 2 afterwards at Fry's for 20 bucks so I have the complete set now.

Is disc only worth anything?
Found two stores that had disc only.
Maybe not worth much since they are still there. LOL

[quote name='mtgrungoblins'] . Found Digital Devil Saga 2 afterwards at Fry's for 20 bucks [/QUOTE]

Some guys have all the luck
-rod stewart

If you're ever even mildly interested in an Atlus RPG (namely the SMT series), pick it up fast.

Nocturne sold out and inflated.

DDS sold out and inflated.

Persona 3 sold out and inflated.

That's why i picked them all up at launch.

Holy shit on a stick... I ordered this the last time it was in stock and it was back ordered. I figured I'd just leave it since I might get lucky and have it ship. It was like $35.xx (after tax and shipping) with that 25% off code.

And it's showing as being shipped in my account! Not sure when it shipped but I hope I get it soon. First Nocturne, and now this! fucking ROCK! :bouncy:

Used & not going through the trouble of trying to return if it comes to me messed up & missing anything, or worse, regular edition. I'll pass.

[quote name='Vinny']Holy shit on a stick... I ordered this the last time it was in stock and it was back ordered. I figured I'd just leave it since I might get lucky and have it ship. It was like $35.xx (after tax and shipping) with that 25% off code.

And it's showing as being shipped in my account! Not sure when it shipped but I hope I get it soon. First Nocturne, and now this! fucking ROCK! :bouncy:[/quote]

I was in the same boat and low and behold, a complete copy in very good condition arrived at my door today. I was only hoping at best a clean disc only copy. I am stoked.

[quote name='thebob101']I was in the same boat and low and behold, a complete copy in very good condition arrived at my door today. I was only hoping at best a clean disc only copy. I am stoked.[/QUOTE]

Already got your's? Nice.

I wonder how long it'll take... I know they use media mail so it could be anywhere from 4-21 days (from experience). Mine only shipped 2 days ago- I hope I get a nice copy.:)

[quote name='1SwtDeception']Isn't the second one not as inflated as the first?[/QUOTE]

Quite true. I got my copy on eBay for $20, $5 shipping. And that's new, still in the shrink-wrap. Most copies go for an average of $30 on eBay, from what I've seen.

Still looking for a decently priced copy of DDS1, though. *sad panda*

bread's done
Back