Digital PSN Cards ($20 and $50) now available at Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

sittinghawk3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
64 (100%)
I know its MSRP but amazon is now selling psn cards. They are digital codes so they email them to you after purchase. I know a lot of people have credit at amazon like I do and I can't ever seem to find cards so be gentle. First Post.:)

Digital PSN Cards

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='segasaturnsnk']Wow, they decide to do this now when I don't HAVE ANY CREDIT TO USE! Geez, I hate you.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't use it anyway

I bought one of these 2 weeks ago using a $10 amazon credit I got from complaining about the loose discs I was receiving in the mail. It wasn't a video game credit, but it did let me get the psn card half off.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Couldn't use it anyway[/QUOTE]

you can use money from gift certificate balance but you can't use promo credit that's specifically for video games

[quote name='buckythekat']you can use money from gift certificate balance but you can't use promo credit that's specifically for video games[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I meant. I didn't mean promo crap. I do a lot of trade ins with Amazon because they give more than Gaystop even with 50 percent, they still give more. Depends on the games though.

does it get doubletaxed? as in amazon charges tax and then the purchase on the network is taxed?
(assuming you don't play around with zip codes)

Awesome!

To those that don't think this is a good thing, a lot of us are unable to physically go to a store to purchase a card and neither can we use our CCs on the PS Store, so we're stuck paying 10% to 20% extra on ebay, so for us THIS IS A DEAL :) Thanks OP

[quote name='scarhawk']You can't use Amazon video game credit OR Gift Cards. Just CC's. Meh.[/QUOTE]
Well that's shit. Now that they've stopped stocking $10 PSN cards, I have nothing to dump my credits into. Wish they'd stop being so asinine about gaming credit, because it's becoming largely useless for me.

[quote name='vherub']does it get doubletaxed? as in amazon charges tax and then the purchase on the network is taxed?
(assuming you don't play around with zip codes)[/QUOTE]

According to this review it does :/
Hi this services is great I get code instantly after I paid the card.

Why do we have to pay double taxes? first at the point when buyin the card, and later when buying a game from the store with the card credit. Amazon should review this taxes thing and if so give me back my $4.44

[quote name='erequena']Awesome!

To those that don't think this is a good thing, a lot of us are unable to physically go to a store to purchase a card and neither can we use our CCs on the PS Store, so we're stuck paying 10% to 20% extra on ebay, so for us THIS IS A DEAL :) Thanks OP[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. They charge about 4 dollars extra for a 20 psn card on ebay. And I know a lot of people don't wanna go to a store to buy cards when they need them.

As for the tax thing, I'm sorry for those who get charged on Amazon. I don't think they should though seeing as its a giftcard. Maybe you should contact CS about why they do.

[quote name='VaultDweller']what a deal![/QUOTE]
This is a deal for us with US PSN accounts that don't live in the United States.

Usually if you want to get a $20 psn card you have to go to ebay and pay between $24-26 USD.

So this is great for me, thank you OP!

(if you have nothing to contribute don't post in this thread)

Do you guys know how to edit the title, The cards are from their digital distribution platform, which is why they apparently don't take video game credit. I want to change it to show that.

[quote name='ssjmichael']According to this review it does :/[/QUOTE]

I think it's a YMMV thing. I don't get charged any tax on Amazon, and I've never been charged tax on the PSN either.

Just a note, but if anyone is a BJ's member, they typically carry these cards for a few bucks lower than MSRP (in-store only, of course). I've keep checking Amazon to see if their cards are lower, but haven't seen it happen yet.

If I remember correctly it's $18.99 for the $20 card and $47.99 for the $50 card. Same pricing goes for Xbox and Wii Points cards.

Maybe it's not a $ "deal" but an instant digital code dl is better than waiting around for the mail or driving to a store. If they charge tax (I'm in NY) that sucks though as I do always get charged tax when I buy stuff on PSN. Target stopped charging tax on PSN and Wii cards so with my 5% cc discount I pick them up there when they are occasionally on sale.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Nice, no more trips to store whenever I need to up my PSN wallet balance, I'd much rather amazon has my CC info on file than Sony.[/QUOTE]

you know you can delete your cc info on your PS3 right after you purchase something right?

If credits weren't a factor, I'd rather buy it straight through PSN as I don't have to deal with any problems regarding codes not working etc.. If you look at one of the comments you will see someone had that very same problem:

When i bought the 50$ card download it instantly gave me the code...but when i wrote the code in the Redeem Codes section it tells me : 'The Code You entered may not be correct or may no longer be valid'. I tried it more than 5 times both on the redeem codes section and as a Playstation card number...am i doing something wrong because i dont want this to be a waste of my 54$ on nothing...this also happened when i tried to write the code for the Undead Nightmare theme......if anyone can please tell me if i did something wrong.

[quote name='ssjmichael']According to this review it does :/[/QUOTE]

Just change the state you live in, in your PSN profile.

Use CA, and the zip code 95814. We definitely don't get charged in this area.

[quote name='ssjmichael']you know you can delete your cc info on your PS3 right after you purchase something right?[/QUOTE]
And I can trust that they delete all record of it on their end (for the purposes of auto-charging subscriptions which might get auto-enabled), or I can choose to never input it so it isn't an issue. The April first ToS mentions auto-charging if "you have previously entered your credit card information" which isn't necessarily the same thing as auto-charging when a current CC is active and entered into the PSN wallet. If, however unlikely, the fit hits the shan, the most I can ever be out is the current balance of my wallet, usually under $20.

I buy things sparingly enough that I only have to refresh with a $20 card every 2-4 months.

[quote name='guardian_owl']And I can trust that they delete all record of it on their end (for the purposes of auto-charging subscriptions which might get auto-enabled), or I can choose to never input it so it isn't an issue. The April first ToS mentions auto-charging if "you have previously entered your credit card information" which isn't necessarily the same thing as auto-charging when a current CC is active and entered into the PSN wallet. If, however unlikely, the fit hits the shan, the most I can ever be out is the current balance of my wallet, usually under $20.

I buy things sparingly enough that I only have to refresh with a $20 card every 2-4 months.[/QUOTE]

Or you can choose to not be so damn paranoid and mistrusting, but whatever floats your boat. If you get stuck with a dead code, don't say I didn't warn you.

Also if you're so worried, many credit cards also have temp or virtual cc numbers good for one-time use only.

I bought a $10 PSN card yesterday at BestBuy and wasnt charged tax on it. It will charge me tax when I purchase something, correct? Im pretty sure thats whats gonna happen.

Well, since you posted this as a deal... in case any of you have Gamestop credit, Gamestop.com also has these cards for digital download. They don't charge tax on the cards, at least in CA, and you get to save a whole cent! $19.99 and $49.99 respectively. So for those people who don't want to trudge to a store or don't want to put their credit card info on their PSN account, here's another option. Also, I'm pretty sure you could probably use a cashback site to make the deal a little sweeter.

[quote name='Abeja']I bought a $10 PSN card yesterday at BestBuy and wasnt charged tax on it. It will charge me tax when I purchase something, correct? Im pretty sure thats whats gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

depends where you're buying from on PSN. You can always change your state to Oregon or something and not be charged a tax

[quote name='ssjmichael']Or you can choose to not be so damn paranoid and mistrusting, but whatever floats your boat. If you get stuck with a dead code, don't say I didn't warn you.

Also if you're so worried, many credit cards also have temp or virtual cc numbers good for one-time use only.[/QUOTE]
There's a good reason to be paranoid. It was recently found out that Sony transmits CC info in an insecure way through the PSN. Currently, there isn't an easy way to access that info unless a PS3 is both jailbroken and has a custom firmware that does not currently exist. More info here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ing-stunning-lack-of-credit-card-security.ars

However, it does make me wonder if someone could just intercept the data through a wireless network or something.

As for the dead code, although it does happen, I think Amazon has good enough customer service that they would help with the situation. But we should wait until more reports of that come in before making conclusions. For a quick comparison, there were some claims that inserting credit card info into the PSN can also be hassle to the point where the PSN will not recognize the name due to the case-sensitivity being too sensitive.

[quote name='rightangle90']There's a good reason to be paranoid. It was recently found out that Sony transmits CC info in an insecure way through the PSN. Currently, there isn't an easy way to access that info unless a PS3 is both jailbroken and has a custom firmware that does not currently exist. More info here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ing-stunning-lack-of-credit-card-security.ars

However, it does make me wonder if someone could just intercept the data through a wireless network or something.
.[/QUOTE]

I know all about that, but that's definitely not something to worry about. There is no way anyone can even get that info from PSN unless they're using a custom FW, and one that's set up as a phishing scam to boot. So in other words, it's irrelevant to this discussion since it in no way contributes to the security of PSN for legit user

I'm not sure if you really read, or understand the article, but I'll just highlight the important part and why that article has no bearing here. If you feel this is reason to become paranoid, then become paranoid about your amazon purchases too:
The PS3's connection to PSN is protected by SSL. As is common to SSL implementations, the identity of the remote server is verified using a list of certificates stored on each PS3. The credit card and other information is sent over this SSL connection. So far so good; this is all safe, and your web browser depends on the same mechanisms for online purchases.

As flaws go, the risks here are not substantial. There is no generalized ability for hackers to grab credit cards from PSN users; only those using specially devised custom firmwares would be at risk.
Look, the PS3 has been out for over 3 years now. I don't see people having their cc info "intercepted" left and right, do you? The transmissions for regular PSN are done over SSL and can't be intercepted so easily. PSN is more than secure enough in my books. If people want to be paranoid and mistrusting of Sony that's fine. I was just passing along the info that that your cc info could be deleted after you make the purchase, in case that person didn't know that, I wasn't trying to make some argument about PSN's safety vs Amazon, etc.. Even factoring in the new ToS that states info about auto-charging, I highly doubt Sony will auto-charge you for anything unless you actually have some sort of auto-renewal box ticked for some subscription. Again, something that's pretty irrelevant and not really worth worrying about. When Sony starts charging people without cause, or misusing everyone's CC info then I'll be up in arms, but until then, I'd say there's nothing to be concerned about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used my regular credit to buy a $20 card not to long ago, and it redeemed fine. Its nice if want PSN money, and you have Amazon credit to spare.

[quote name='ssjmichael'] I'm not sure if you really read, or understand the article, but I'll just highlight the important part and why that article has no bearing here. If you feel this is reason to become paranoid, then become paranoid about your amazon purchases too[/QUOTE]
I read and understood it to a certain degree. Hence, my reply of "Currently, there isn't an easy way to access that info unless a PS3 is both jailbroken and has a custom firmware that does not currently exist." I could also throw it back to you if you read what I said as I typed what was said in the article. However, I will give you the SSL bit, as my lack of knowledge of how to exploit that is non-existent and the comparison to Amazon with that is sound.

I was just passing along the info that that your cc info could be deleted after you make the purchase, in case that person didn't know that, I wasn't trying to make some argument about PSN's safety vs Amazon, etc..
With the recent security attack, things aren't as safe as people thought. However, I understand that the hacking situation is actually unrelated to any argument I have made, so don't think I'm using it as evidence of the arguments for paranoia I made in this topic; even though a CFW was claimed to be used, my old argument was for another kind of CFW. I did want to bring up something new: does Sony actually delete the CC information when a user deletes it too? This would be something worth looking into.

Even factoring in the new ToS that states info about auto-charging, I highly doubt Sony will auto-charge you for anything unless you actually have some sort of auto-renewal box ticked for some subscription. Again, something that's pretty irrelevant and not really worth worrying about. When Sony starts charging people without cause, or misusing everyone's CC info then I'll be up in arms, but until then, I'd say there's nothing to be concerned about.
That new ToS is interesting and new to me. Rather BS of Sony to include that. Since that trial with GeoHot went nowhere, we can't find out if Sony's ToS will be an acceptable contract. Personally, I would rather get some efforts to remove the auto-charging bit in their ToS, but more for paranoid reasons. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back