Dilemma about video card

Mex25

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I just got a new video card an evga 7800gt CO and it works wonders with most games but FEAR. I see that nvidia just put out a new 512mb video card, which is sometimes in stock and out of stock. I found out that evga offers a step up program, where you can upgrade your card to the latest card and just pay the difference. But the one drawback about the program is that you have only a 90 day period where you can actually upgrade the video card. Here is where I have to decide. I just switched over to water cooling and it works great but I'm torn between whether water cooling the card or just leaving the stock heatsink and just wait until the evga has the 512mb video card in stock.

Reviews when that 512MB card came out showed nearly no performance gain over 256. Stick with what you've got. Your problems with FEAR are some other problem, because I can run it quite well on a 6600GT. Maybe update the drivers.

[quote name='P0ldy']Reviews when that 512MB card came out showed nearly no performance gain over 256. Stick with what you've got. Your problems with FEAR are some other problem, because I can run it quite well on a 6600GT. Maybe update the drivers.[/QUOTE]
I have the latest drivers then again I am trying to run FEAR on everything maxed out. But I even turned off AA and just put AAF at 4x and its still laggy. Really no performance gain? I just looked at a couple reviews and most of them kind of complained about the price but when I got to the performance they all said that it stacked up to even 2 7800gt's in SLI.

[quote name='Mex25']I have the latest drivers then again I am trying to run FEAR on everything maxed out. But I even turned off AA and just put AAF at 4x and its still laggy. Really no performance gain? I just looked at a couple reviews and most of them kind of complained about the price but when I got to the performance they all said that it stacked up to even 2 7800gt's in SLI.[/QUOTE]I long for the day when such complaints can originate from me. AA and AAF aren't even considerations. FEAR on max isn't either. I'm lucky to get FEAR running at a playable framerate.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I long for the day when such complaints can originate from me. AA and AAF aren't even considerations. FEAR on max isn't either. I'm lucky to get FEAR running at a playable framerate.[/QUOTE]
I'm a graphics whore so I need everything on max lol

[quote name='Mex25']I have the latest drivers then again I am trying to run FEAR on everything maxed out. But I even turned off AA and just put AAF at 4x and its still laggy. Really no performance gain? I just looked at a couple reviews and most of them kind of complained about the price but when I got to the performance they all said that it stacked up to even 2 7800gt's in SLI.[/QUOTE]
Ah, the initial review I read stated there wasn't much to the 512mb cards. The AT review shows otherwise. I still think you need to tweak the settings on what you have first, but maybe you have money to spend on those things and have to run settings @ max.

[quote name='P0ldy']Ah, the initial review I read stated there wasn't much to the 512mb cards. The AT review shows otherwise. I still think you need to tweak the settings on what you have first, but maybe you have money to spend on those things and have to run settings @ max.[/QUOTE]
Was hoping for at least a price drop in january. I'll just buy the waterblock for the videocard for now and yeah the AT review was the one I read where they raved about the performance of the 512mb vid card.

I prefer more frames over better graphics. My CS:S is tweaked like crap with only shadows and textures being all the way up. And if you play CS:S, you know why for both. Shadow glitching and sprays, baby.

Anyway, just tweak some stuff. Do a google search for a FEAR tweaking guide. I remember seeing one. Haven't gotten around to utilizing it, but I'm sure it would help. Just tweak down the stuff you know you won't notice.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I long for the day when such complaints can originate from me. AA and AAF aren't even considerations. FEAR on max isn't either. I'm lucky to get FEAR running at a playable framerate.[/QUOTE]

I understand how you feel.

But I just ordered all the parts for my new pc, so screw you! :p :lol:

Dual core AMD 4200 X2 with a 7800 GTX, HERE I COME!
eusadance16ho.gif

You should check the guide at tweak guides
http://www.tweakguides.com/FEAR_1.html
i was having the same type of problems with my ati x800 xt pe
but after doing the tweaks i was still pulling 50 or so fps with the eye candy that i wanted
if anything, put all the settings all the way up, and drop the resolution
worked for me
and my card is a gen older than yours

[quote name='thealternakid']You should check the guide at tweak guides
but after doing the tweaks i was still pulling 50 or so fps with the eye candy that i wanted
worked for me
and my card is a gen older than yours[/QUOTE]
That's the guide I was talking about. They pictures showing the differences with certain settings and describe with them with good detail.

[quote name='thealternakid']You should check the guide at tweak guides
worked for me
and my card is a gen older than yours[/QUOTE]

Yeah tweakguides is definitely the way the go because I was having problems with Half-Life 2 at max settings. Then I read the guide and found out it was not my 7800gt but Half-Life 2 with the autosave function and loading maps. Took out the autosave function and preloaded the maps and everything was great. I wish BFG had a step up program like that because I would not even think twice about upgrading to the next card out. I like running everything maxed out too.

Check out the forums on the eVGA site. There has been a problem with alot of people with that exact card, saying that it came overclocked from factory, and thus runs too hot. They have a download available that will flash the card's BIOS and make the clock speeds the original intended ones. Try that out, seems to help alot of people, though the problems they have had include crashes and artifacting, not just slow downs in some games.

I just bit the bullet. I found a site that was selling the BFG 7800gtx 512mb for $694, two days after I bought it the price skyrocketed to $899!. Its going to be here friday. Looks like I'll be able to game at max on everything soon. Seems I didn't have a bad bios on the card because it came clocked at 470/1100 I just fiddled around with the advanced settings for the card and finally got FEAR to work on almost max settings (the day after the BFG shipped).

bread's done
Back