Direct TV or Dish Network?

TheBlueWizard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So I bought this great HDTV and the local HD cable here sucks. We don't get CBS or FOX in HD which really ticks me off since I watch football and CSI. I don't live anywhere near where I can pick up an OTA HD signal for either of those networks, so I'm hosed and looking for another alternative.

My question is simple, Direct TV or DishNetwork? I know Direct TV offers NFL ticket, but at $240 (or so) I probably won't be getting that. DishNetwork offers more HD, but the price is a lot cheaper, so that has me worried about reliability or service. Both have a huge startup fee to get an HD-DVR, so that's really a push at this point.

Does anyone here have experience with these? What do you recommend? Why? Any input would be great.

TBW

PS I tried looking for some info on AVS Forums, but there is so much stuff there, I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have had DirecTV for a little more than a year, and it's great. I don't use it for any of the HD stuff that you do, but as far as customer service, programming variety, and whatnot, it's excellent. It's a lot more user friendly than Dish Network too, in my opinion. And if you have an Xbox 360, I believe MS and DirecTV have teamed up for some kind of venture in the future.

And if I am not mistaken, Dish Network tacks on a fee for local channels. Could be wrong though.

I haven't used Direct TV, but I have had Dish Network for three years now, having switched from cable.

Honestly, I so very rarely have problems; my cable went out far more often - about once a week. Only the nastiest weather has ever made me lose signal - and then it was only for minutes. (I think, once, it was out for about 45 minutes - but it was such a nasty thunderstorm, I wasn't even thinking about TV.)

Of all the companies I have done business with as a customer, they have been the best hands-down. I don't want to gush or make it seem like they are faultless (there was an issue a year or so back over Lifetime, but obviously, i didn't care and it resolved fine).

Like I said, I can't speak for Direct TV, but I can tell you that you shouldn't have to worry about the service. As far as reliability, again, I have no complaints at all. But my dish has a completely clear view of the southern sky, so I never have anything that interferes with the signal.

I miss the good days of Satellite tv. You can get it for free after awhile etherway it is basically free. Just get a dish and hook it up. You can use almost any Tuner box or cable ready tv.

[quote name='TheOneGod']I miss the good days of Satellite tv. You can get it for free after awhile etherway it is basically free. Just get a dish and hook it up. You can use almost any Tuner box or cable ready tv.[/QUOTE]
HD?

DirecTV is supposed to be adding over 100 HD channels this year, if that influences your decision. Despite the fact that they compress the HD signal more than they should, it's still good. I believe Dish does the dame thing.

bread's done
Back