Direct2Drive 20% PC games weekend- works on preorders

Too bad you can't stack. Still on the fence about Civ 5 when Fallout New Vegas is weeks away. Both games are huge time sucks.

So with Civ V since it has to be activated through steam no matter what it means you end up owning the steam version as well as the D2D version right?

Aye. Any game that uses Steamworks requires Steam to play, therefore will be on your Steam account:

Just Cause 2, Metro 2033, Torchilight, Civ V, DOW2 Chaos Rising, Fallout NV, Modern Warfare 2, etc.

this list is getting bigger and bigger, and i like that.

[quote name='pROvIs']in most case you are better off using CAGDEAL for 10 off 49.95[/QUOTE]

I was unaware of that deal. We need of list of all Cag-Specific coupons.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Aye. Any game that uses Steamworks requires Steam to play, therefore will be on your Steam account:

Just Cause 2, Metro 2033, Torchilight, Civ V, DOW2 Chaos Rising, Fallout NV, Modern Warfare 2, etc.

this list is getting bigger and bigger, and i like that.[/QUOTE]

And I can just uninstall D2D then right? Like I could buy it on D2D then activate the steam version and then uninstall and never have to bother with D2D again right?

[quote name='MSI Magus']And I can just uninstall D2D then right? Like I could buy it on D2D then activate the steam version and then uninstall and never have to bother with D2D again right?[/QUOTE]Yeah, you never have to install anything. Buy it from D2D, get the activation code, and enter that in Steam, then download it from steam.

I think it's so funny they made such a stink about boycotting Modern Warfare 2 because it used Steamworks, but there have been some pretty huge releases this year too that use it.

[quote name='MSI Magus']And I can just uninstall D2D then right? Like I could buy it on D2D then activate the steam version and then uninstall and never have to bother with D2D again right?[/QUOTE] all u need to do is actvate the key on STEAM and then you'll never have 2 bother with d2d again.

[quote name='MSI Magus']And I can just uninstall D2D then right? Like I could buy it on D2D then activate the steam version and then uninstall and never have to bother with D2D again right?[/QUOTE]There's nothing to install with D2D, unless you want to. As others said, you can get this game through Steam once you get the code after purchase. But even for other games, you just download the game as a zip file from the D2D website. The client is optional -- and, last I checked, not that useful, though the automatic downloading and installing of patches for every game on your computer, regardless of source, is kind of a cool feature once they get it working right.

[quote name='crawlingpeter']Ahh it is saying IGNDEAL is expired but I thought it lasted all weekend. Any insight? Thanks![/QUOTE]

What insight are you looking for? Do you think someone here will be able to magically make it work?

Tried to use CAGDEAL and IGNDEAL codes for Civ V but it said both had expired. Let me use the D2DTWITTER code though.

Thanks!

I guess I don't understand what is wrong with D2D. Have had several games from them. They allow me to re-download the games, and they don't have a large interface that I have to have running to play their games like Steam. Though I do like Steam too.

If I get New Vegas through D2D, will I be able to use mods? I seem to remember reading that the D2D version of FO3 was not compatible with mods.

[quote name='rsrlawman']If I get New Vegas through D2D, will I be able to use mods? I seem to remember reading that the D2D version of FO3 was not compatible with mods.[/QUOTE]

Yes because it's going to be on Steam. It's a Steamworks title. So.. you put the key in steam and voila.

[quote name='shingletingle']What insight are you looking for? Do you think someone here will be able to magically make it work?[/QUOTE]

Maybe someone to clarify whether the site is just buggy or if IGN claiming the deal worked throughout the weekend was just a lie... ?

[quote name='jdecag']I guess I don't understand what is wrong with D2D. Have had several games from them. They allow me to re-download the games, and they don't have a large interface that I have to have running to play their games like Steam. Though I do like Steam too.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever patched The Witcher up to EE? Or patched Call of Duty World at War from install to the latest version?

That's what's wrong with it.

http://support.direct2drive.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=114

IMPORTANT: Please do not patch your Direct2Drive game with patches not offered by Direct2Drive unless you have checked our patches page. They are not compatible unless stated otherwise.

Steam auto-patches. That's it. You don't worry about downloading patches from a specific place. You just know it's as updated as it can be.

There's also the Steam Cloud storage, steamworks achievements, and the convenience of having everything in one place. Steam also has convenient backup and reinstall procedures when into your pre-existing Steam account/app.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Have you ever patched The Witcher up to EE? Or patched Call of Duty World at War from install to the latest version?

That's what's wrong with it.

http://support.direct2drive.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=114

Steam auto-patches. That's it. You don't worry about downloading patches from a specific place. You just know it's as updated as it can be.

There's also the Steam Cloud storage, steamworks achievements, and the convenience of having everything in one place. Steam also has convenient backup and reinstall procedures when into your pre-existing Steam account/app.[/QUOTE]Believe it or not, there are problems with Steam as well. At least with D2D you can choose when and if you want to get your games patched. With Steam you have forced auto updates. You can choose to turn it off but then you're stuck with whatever previous version of the game you have instead of choosing yourself. I'm a Steam user myself so I'm okay with it. :)

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Steam auto-patches. That's it. You don't worry about downloading patches from a specific place. You just know it's as updated as it can be.[/QUOTE]

As updated as it can be on steam, you mean. There's an awful lot of games that just don't have the latest patches on Steam, and just like D2D many of them can't even be updated with the retail patches.

Still, even though Steam's not perfect it sure is simple and slick when it works, and even seemingly forgotten patches do sometimes appear out of nowhere years later.

But D2D isn't too bad. I don't buy anything that isn't DRM-free from them, but that means that it's either an indie title where the D2D version is significant enough that the developer always makes sure patches exist for it, or it's old enough that the latest, last version is in the installer from the start.

And it's nice having a plain web download of a .zip file or installer, without anything extra in between you and your game.

[quote name='bitter1961']As updated as it can be on steam, you mean. There's an awful lot of games that just don't have the latest patches on Steam, and just like D2D many of them can't even be updated with the retail patches.

Still, even though Steam's not perfect it sure is simple and slick when it works, and even seemingly forgotten patches do sometimes appear out of nowhere years later.

But D2D isn't too bad. I don't buy anything that isn't DRM-free from them, but that means that it's either an indie title where the D2D version is significant enough that the developer always makes sure patches exist for it, or it's old enough that the latest, last version is in the installer from the start.

And it's nice having a plain web download of a .zip file or installer, without anything extra in between you and your game.[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely wrong. I challenge you to name a single game that isn't updated on Steam.

[quote name='shingletingle']You are absolutely wrong. I challenge you to name a single game that isn't updated on Steam.[/QUOTE]

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838858

That list's quite a bit out of date, but apparently some sort of mix up resulted in the newer thread being deleted. There's been some changes, some new games to add to the list, and some games on the list have gotten their updates. I do believe that at least ArmA and EU3 have received the latest patches. But lots still remain unpatched.

For a single game I'm sure of, with absolute current-as-of-5-minutes-ago confirmation, I loaded up World of Goo as a test and it is indeed still at an old version (widescreen resolutions don't work correctly, which was fixed in 1.30). Luckily it's a game you can install the retail patch over top of, though of course you lose the Steamworks integration (achievements, etc.), and you can't launch it via Steam anymore, else the automatic patching automatically downgrades.

I'm not claiming Steam aren't doing a great job, they really are the gold standard of digital downloads. But patches from 3rd party developers are such a tricky thing that even Steam have problems.

I also think it should be pointed out that D2D do do a decent job on the games that they don't wrap up in so much DRM that patches become a problem. And with boxed copies starting to include just the same style of activation DRM as D2D, it's actually helping D2D since patches are becoming cross-compatible, since they're often virtually the same executable now.

[quote name='bitter1961']http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838858

That list's quite a bit out of date, but apparently some sort of mix up resulted in the newer thread being deleted. There's been some changes, some new games to add to the list, and some games on the list have gotten their updates. I do believe that at least ArmA and EU3 have received the latest patches. But lots still remain unpatched.

For a single game I'm sure of, with absolute current-as-of-5-minutes-ago confirmation, I loaded up World of Goo as a test and it is indeed still at an old version (widescreen resolutions don't work correctly, which was fixed in 1.30). Luckily it's a game you can install the retail patch over top of, though of course you lose the Steamworks integration (achievements, etc.), and you can't launch it via Steam anymore, else the automatic patching automatically downgrades.

I'm not claiming Steam aren't doing a great job, they really are the gold standard of digital downloads. But patches from 3rd party developers are such a tricky thing that even Steam have problems.

I also think it should be pointed out that D2D do do a decent job on the games that they don't wrap up in so much DRM that patches become a problem. And with boxed copies starting to include just the same style of activation DRM as D2D, it's actually helping D2D since patches are becoming cross-compatible, since they're often virtually the same executable now.[/QUOTE]

ShingleTingle got Owned. Thanks for looking that out, very informative!

bread's done
Back