Direct2Drive (D2D) 1-in-5 orders free

seamoss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
166 (100%)
In addition to their price-match offer:

http://support.direct2drive.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=3091&task=knowledge&questionID=2890

Direct2Drive (D2D) have started their "D2D Gives Back 2010" offer:

http://www.direct2drive.com/d2d-gives-back-2010/

through which every 5th customer gets their order for free:

* 1 in 5 customers get their order TOTALLY free!
* Only orders fully charged to a credit card qualify
* Look for the prize alert after your purchase to see if you won

They also have some daily Twitter lottery for $50 store credit.

Looks like D2D is trying everything to compete with Steam during the holiday season. Personally, I find their download service quite reasonable since I don't have to have to login and have a client running all the time to play a game - activate (if that) and you are done (though it looks like I'm in the minority on this one...)

The wording on the price match is kind of nebulous. It seems like they only match the price if you find a lower price the same day. I was hoping it was like a week buffer. I frequently avoid buying DD games because a better deal might appear the next day, or on Friday.

This 1-in-5 deal doesn't entice me in the least.

80% of the time, you'd pay full price? This doesn't sound like much of a deal to me.

I do like D2D, though. They had some great deals during their last month-long holiday sale.

Thanks for the heads-up, seamoss! I've purchased many games from D2D and I really enjoy their service. Downloading the installer and any extras is nice for backup purposes and the reg keys are also easy to find in your games account page.

strange...its almost like gambling lol. Technically you could add EVERY single game in the store, and you have a 1 in 5 chance of either spending 10,000 dollars or getting every game released on steam for free :)

Anyone care to give me their CC for 5 minutes?

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']strange...its almost like gambling lol. Technically you could add EVERY single game in the store, and you have a 1 in 5 chance of either spending 10,000 dollars or getting every game released on steam for free :)

Anyone care to give me their CC for 5 minutes?[/QUOTE]

True, but you'd not be "randomly selected" I'm sure.

Have to read the terms but 1 in 5 doesn't mean it goes in order. Rather, it just means that 20% of all orders will be discounted to $0. Could be the next 5 in a row then none for 20 more.

I live in Vegas, so my mind works a little differently. :)

[quote name='hellhunde']The wording on the price match is kind of nebulous. It seems like they only match the price if you find a lower price the same day. I was hoping it was like a week buffer. I frequently avoid buying DD games because a better deal might appear the next day, or on Friday.[/QUOTE]

According to their FAQ:

"If you find a price lower than ours for the same digital game on the Authorized Internet Retailer’s* web site listed below as of midnight (12:00 a.m. PST) on your date of purchase....."

source: http://www.direct2drive.com/staticpage.aspx?topic=price_match

Here's the best part. 12:00am ON THE DATE of your purchase happened BEFORE you purchased. Think about it. :)

If I buy a game right now (23rd), 12:00am on the 23rd has already happened. :D

We know what they mean, but it should say either 12:00am the following day or 11:59pm---if you want to be legal and technical about it.

[quote name='RebelCapitalist']According to their FAQ:

"If you find a price lower than ours for the same digital game on the Authorized Internet Retailer’s* web site listed below as of midnight (12:00 a.m. PST) on your date of purchase....."

source: http://www.direct2drive.com/staticpage.aspx?topic=price_match

Here's the best part. 12:00am ON THE DATE of your purchase happened BEFORE you purchased. Think about it. :)

If I buy a game right now (23rd), 12:00am on the 23rd has already happened. :D

We know what they mean, but it should say either 12:00am the following day or 11:59pm---if you want to be legal and technical about it.[/QUOTE]

This bothers me as much as when people say the midnight release or first showing of opening movie is at 12:01 am. 12:00 am IS the next day, what is that minute for????????????

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']This bothers me as much as when people say the midnight release or first showing of opening movie is at 12:01 am. 12:00 am IS the next day, what is that minute for????????????[/QUOTE]

Technically, there is no such thing as 12:00am or 12:00pm. AM stands for "ante meridian" (before the meridian), and PM stands for "post meridian" (after the meridian). Noon is the meridian, and therefore can't be both the meridian and before/after the meridian. Midnight is equidistant from the meridian, so both before/after the meridian works for it.

The extra minute avoids confusion and makes things proper.

Not to sound anti-steam, but hell if d2d will pricematch any steam sales and then

give me a 1 in 5 chance to get my games I know where I'm going to pick up my

games this season.

[quote name='Cantatus']Technically, there is no such thing as 12:00am or 12:00pm. AM stands for "ante meridian" (before the meridian), and PM stands for "post meridian" (after the meridian). Noon is the meridian, and therefore can't be both the meridian and before/after the meridian. Midnight is equidistant from the meridian, so both before/after the meridian works for it.

The extra minute avoids confusion and makes things proper.[/QUOTE]

Dude just dropped some science on your ass. :cool:

bread's done
Back