Direct2Drive Spring Sale - Week 4

jboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
261 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]13894[/IMG-R]Direct2Drive.com is kicking off their first annual Spring Sale featuring four weeks of deals on PC games and game bundles. The Spring Sale runs through May 9, 2010, with new discounted games launching each Monday morning.

In addition to the sale, get $15 in store credit when you spend $75 during the Spring Sale.

d2d.gif
Direct2Drive Spring Sale

Last edited by a moderator:
DIRT 2, Fallout 3, and Battlestations Pacific are GFWL and will update from the title screen if you register/connect to LIVE.

Hrmm there is a patch on D2D for Fallout 3. Maybe update from the title screen doesn't work the same as the retail box?

I remember that Fallout 3 updated numerous times in the first 2 months or so after I installed it on PC from the retail box, which was probably about 6 months after it was released.

Maybe the patch just gets it to the point where the LIVE will update it correctly.

Great promotions, but unfortunetly many of the games cannot be downloaded outside US and a few other countries. Pitty, Call of Cthulu seemed interesting for US$ 4,99 , but I cannot download it. Let´s see what the next few weeks reserve for us non-US residents!

lol damn. Well. I dont think Ill buy it then I guess. I mean at least - I dont think so. Probably other games that I can have fun with. Besides I dont really want to buy a controller on top of the game.

Tempted by NWN2 too. I played the retail a couple years ago, very glitchy/crashy, annoyed the hell outta me, uninstalled it. I'm less sour now, but don't want to get burned by it again... will ponder on purchasing it from D2D since it has the expansion (which I never played).

Actually screw it, developers who release buggy games that *stay* buggy years after they're out don't deserve my money. I'll pick up the Dragon Age expansion instead from Steam.

Considering Kings bounty gold edition and roller coaster tycoon 2. Any other sleeper hits that I should not miss?

[quote name='dcon agent 000']Just bought COC-DCOTE for 5 bucks, worth it, even with the stealth sequences in this game.

And even more awesome when you use the Dcotepatch with it. It enables you to use cheats or to disable intros, etc.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KLHZ3W6D[/QUOTE]

What else does this patch add to the game? Is it just cheats or gameplay altering changes? The file seems a little large for just adding some config changes.

Cheat sheet to the Week 1 games:

Atari 2010 Bundle - $64.95: Totally not worth it, too much fat for very little meat.

King's Bounty Gold - $14.95: Great game, but Armored Princess is better than the original in every way. I'd really recommend just getting AP.

Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold - $14.95: Vanilla NWN2 is mediocre, but Mask of the Betrayer is one of the greatest PC RPGs in the last decade. Get it if you like RPGs other than Oblivion.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 Pack - $4.95: It's Rollercoaster Tycoon. If you're reading this thread, you've probably played some iteration of RCT. RCT2 is more of the same. Not bad for $5, but I very much doubt you'd play it for long.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - $4.95: Avoid unless you like the Cthulhu mythos. Poorly designed in many places -- one of the most notorious incidences is running through a hotel attempting to escape some horror, only to find the majority of the doors are locked and dead-ends. Extremely frustrating in a Dragon's Lair kind of way. Still, aside from Eternal Darkness, this is the closest you'll get to a legit Cthulhu game.

Dark Void - $14.95: Avoid. Not worth your time, let alone your money.

Battlestations: Pacific - $17.95: Interesting game, essentially you direct forces like a tactical RTS but have the ability to take over certain units at any time and take a personal, hands-on role in battle. It's not worth $18 though.

Elven Legacy Complete Edition - $19.95: Recommended if you like Advance Wars type of games. Downside is that some missions can be almost like puzzle games, with very little room for error or creativity. An amazing amount of gameplay for your buck, though.

DCS: Blackshark - $14.95: Only one I've not played. deouble9s notes:
In [flight sim] communities you'll find most people singing its praises as being a super realistic helo sim.

Fallout 3 - $14.95: Fantastic game -- but save your money for the GOTY edition that includes all five pieces of DLC, three of which are good to awesome, two of which are boring to mediocre.

Gothic 3 - $4.95: If you've played Gothic and/or Gothic 2, you'll find Gothic 3 to be much more user-friendly but... lacking in something that the first two had. Repetitive quests, less interesting world, some other problems. That being said, I played at release and apparently there is a giganto player-made overhaul mod that really makes the game great. If it weren't for the fact that I have Risen, (essentially Gothic 4), in my backlog, I might grab this. If you can install the player overhaul on the D2D version, then it's worth the $5 risk for fans and new players alike.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - $4.95: Avoid unless you like the Cthulhu mythos. Poorly designed in many places -- one of the most notorious incidences is running through a hotel attempting to escape some horror, only to find the majority of the doors are locked and dead-ends. Extremely frustrating in a Dragon's Lair kind of way. Still, aside from Eternal Darkness, this is the closest you'll get to a legit Cthulhu game.
[/QUOTE]

Um, the hotel chase is often cited as one of the best parts of the game.

DCS: Blackshark - $14.95: Only one I've not played. In fact, I've never even heard of it. Probably not a good sign.

Flight sims are a very niche market, which is probably why you haven't heard of it. In those communities you'll find most people singing its praises as being a super realistic helo sim. Just watch this video of the startup procedure (I think there's an option for an easier procedure):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_XNf4elAI

You can probably tell from that video and others on YouTube whether this game is for you or not.

[quote name='Spooon69']Tempted by NWN2 too. I played the retail a couple years ago, very glitchy/crashy, annoyed the hell outta me, uninstalled it. I'm less sour now, but don't want to get burned by it again... will ponder on purchasing it from D2D since it has the expansion (which I never played).

Actually screw it, developers who release buggy games that *stay* buggy years after they're out don't deserve my money. I'll pick up the Dragon Age expansion instead from Steam.[/QUOTE]

Weird, I got NWN2 at release and had some graphical issues (most of which were from terrible Nvidia Vista drivers) but I don't recall it crashing often although it did a few times during my 30 hours of playing through the game. The toolset editor was a different story though. Crashes galore.

I didn't have any crashes that I recall when Mask of the Betrayer came out. Some bugs here and there but certainly far less than I ran into playing Dragon Age. Though sometimes the bugs just make the game better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDanX-beShQ.

Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold - $14.95: Vanilla NWN2 is mediocre, but Mask of the Betrayer is one of the greatest PC RPGs in the last decade. Get it if you like RPGs other than Oblivion.
[/QUOTE]

NWN 2 is $9.99.

And to whoever was worried if it had bugs or not, they did a good job patching those out after release. I played both NWN 2 and MotB awhile after release and had zero problems.

[quote name='Vegan']Um, the hotel chase is often cited as one of the best parts of the game.[/QUOTE]

That's strange, as I've heard the exact opposite -- it seemed to be universally loathed.

Granted, it's a pretty direct refence to The Shadow over Innsmouth, so again, mythos fans will probably enojy it.

[quote name='deouble9s']Flight sims are a very niche market, which is probably why you haven't heard of it. In those communities you'll find most people singing its praises as being a super realistic helo sim.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's cool. I still hear about flight sims despite them not being my thing, though. Somehow this one must have slipped under the radar.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']That's strange, as I've heard the exact opposite -- it seemed to be universally loathed.

Granted, it's a pretty direct refence to The Shadow over Innsmouth, so again, mythos fans will probably enojy it.[/QUOTE]

I loved that part myself since it was pretty intense IMO, but I can see what you mean with the Dragon's Lair reference. It definitely takes some trial and error to get through it.

[quote name='jughead']Work gets out in 30 minutes and I'm headed home to play Dirt 2 on my new G27![/QUOTE]

I also picked up Dirt 2 last night and looking forward to trying it out tonight. Hopefully it will be easier to get a wheel set up with Dirt 2 than it was with Grid. It took me quite a while to get a setting that worked well with the game but it sure was fun after that. I still can't drift worth a crap using the wheel though.

[quote name='deouble9s']Flight sims are a very niche market, which is probably why you haven't heard of it. In those communities you'll find most people singing its praises as being a super realistic helo sim. Just watch this video of the startup procedure (I think there's an option for an easier procedure):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_XNf4elAI

You can probably tell from that video and others on YouTube whether this game is for you or not.[/QUOTE]

It's a super intense simulator. I haven't had much luck actually flying the helicopter yet, but for me just messing around while learning is fun. The real problems is that the tutorials are videos, rather than missions that instruct you on what buttons to hit, etc.

The only problem I've encountered with Call of Cthulhu, is when the framerate is poor/low the mouse input seems to be extremely sensitive/twitchy but at a lower resolution it works just fine and looks great in 3D, black and white anaglyph iZ3D.

Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold - $14.95: Vanilla NWN2 is mediocre, but Mask of the Betrayer is one of the greatest PC RPGs in the last decade. Get it if you like RPGs other than Oblivion.[/QUOTE]

Can you just play Mask of the Betrayer without having to go through the vanilla campaign?

[quote name='jezz.torrent']Can you just play Mask of the Betrayer without having to go through the vanilla campaign?[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure you can, and the game just scales your character up. The vanilla campaign is decent though, imo, and worth a playthrough.

RCT2 was tempting the other week even though it was at $19.95... but at $4.95... I just might have to bite.

I played the first one a lot when I was younger and tried playing the third one a couple years go but eventually gave up because the parks would lag my old computer down too much if they got to be too big. Anyone know if it'd be worth it? I have a much better computer now obviously, but I had the Mac version of RCT3, and don't want to plunk another 30 bucks down on the RCT3 Platinum Pack until that goes on sale sometime.

Fallout 3 is another tempting one. Tried playing that one on the console, but I started to lose interest once I got to the town with the nuke, and then further into the city.

EDIT: And will RCT2 work under Windows 7?

I heard good things about Mask of the Betrayer, but the camera in NWN2 aggravated me to the point where I gave up on the vanilla campaign. I even tried it again the other day with the newest patch, and it's still an issue.

Got in on DiRT 2 for $10. Been wanting this for a while and this is fairly cheap even though I wanted the 360 version. Atleast this also has achievements. First time usin the service and it was a good experience for me. Better than GFWL.

[quote name='airwalke'] And will RCT2 work under Windows 7?[/QUOTE]

I bought RCT2 earlier today and haven't been able to get it to work on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. There seems to be a torrent of the game that works on Windows 7 so I'm hoping it's not a completely lost cause.

[quote name='Vendetta']I heard good things about Mask of the Betrayer, but the camera in NWN2 aggravated me to the point where I gave up on the vanilla campaign. I even tried it again the other day with the newest patch, and it's still an issue.[/QUOTE]
What's the problem with the camera? I'm clearly on the fence about NWN2. I wasn't a big fan of the original, as I found it to be pretty boring unless playing co-op with friends. But I've liked just about everything else from Bioware / Obsidian.

[quote name='kringger']I bought RCT2 earlier today and haven't been able to get it to work on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. There seems to be a torrent of the game that works on Windows 7 so I'm hoping it's not a completely lost cause.[/QUOTE]

Well I wish I had read this beforehand... I bought it and it installed just fine (I think). A comment on D2D's site encouraged me when it said it ran fine under compatibility mode. No dice. I'm hoping to get a responses from customer support soon... this has been quite a bummer.

[quote name='airwalke']Well I wish I had read this beforehand... I bought it and it installed just fine (I think). A comment on D2D's site encouraged me when it said it ran fine under compatibility mode. No dice. I'm hoping to get a responses from customer support soon... this has been quite a bummer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I never got it to work. So I may have procured the game by other means and it works perfectly. Since I legally bought the game, I'm not feeling too guilty.

[quote name='jughead']My new Logitech G27 works pretty good on my computer desk. I think I will get Dirt 2 until I can afford and Playseat or Wheelstand Pro for racing on my PS3.[/QUOTE]

same situation

[quote name='kringger']Yeah, I never got it to work. So I may have procured the game by other means and it works perfectly. Since I legally bought the game, I'm not feeling too guilty.[/QUOTE]
To be more direct, you can probably just download a crack and be fine. You shouldn't have to hypothetically procure the entire game.

The former is a (light) gray zone, the latter is definitely black.

[quote name='Nirron']Wondering this as well. I'm an enormous fan of all things Lovecraft, and found out about this game a few years ago, but never pulled the trigger.

I'm also running Windows 7 now, so I don't know if that would be an issue. For $5 I may test it, but would rather be told it's fine beforehand.[/QUOTE]
Call of Cthulu is in my opinion one of the biggest sleeper games of the year it came outl.

It seems like the only time I buy games from D2D is when they have sales like this. I check the site all the time and always prefer Steam if I'm out to buy a specific game for some odd reason!

I bit on Dirt 2 and Gothic 3. I've been waiting for a $10 Dirt 2 for awhile now and even though I've heard some negative things about Gothic 3 I loved Risen and wanted to give it a shot anyways. I can risk the $5 :D

I picked up the Roller Coaster 2 pack just to find out it doesn't work with Win 7 (got it before people started posting about issues). Wrote a support ticket to D2D and got an email today saying that RC2 doesn't support Win 7 and they are refunding my purchase. I'm impressed since I didn't even ask for a refund, only help to run the game. A big +1 for their customer support.

[quote name='wolfhunt']I picked up the Roller Coaster 2 pack just to find out it doesn't work with Win 7 (got it before people started posting about issues). Wrote a support ticket to D2D and got an email today saying that RC2 doesn't support Win 7 and they are refunding my purchase. I'm impressed since I didn't even ask for a refund, only help to run the game. A big +1 for their customer support.[/QUOTE]

Nice, but they should really update their site by now.
[quote name='D2D']RollerCoaster Tycoon 2
Download File Size
526 MB
Publisher
Atari
Known Issues
Game does not work under Windows 95.
[/quote]

[quote name='thebusoftheundead']What else does this patch add to the game? Is it just cheats or gameplay altering changes? The file seems a little large for just adding some config changes.[/QUOTE]

It includes a cracked .exe and game files that need to be replaced in order to get that patch to work with the D2D version. The patch includes cheats and also restores some removed content like an arm that shows when you interact with objects. I didn't make the patch itself, I just bundled in the files needed to make this work with the D2D version of the game.

[quote name='wolfhunt']I picked up the Roller Coaster 2 pack just to find out it doesn't work with Win 7 (got it before people started posting about issues). Wrote a support ticket to D2D and got an email today saying that RC2 doesn't support Win 7 and they are refunding my purchase. I'm impressed since I didn't even ask for a refund, only help to run the game. A big +1 for their customer support.[/QUOTE]

Which version of Windows 7 do you have? If it's Professional or Ultimate, did you try running the game in a Windows XP virtual machine?

Call of Cthulu is a steal at that price. I have the XBox version and it's one of THE most disgustingly underrated first person shooters I've ever played! It's genuinely scary too and has some neat ideas, like your character going more insane from seeing horrors(his aim gets shakier and he's liable to commit suicide etc).

It can be fairly tough, it's not your run n gun FPS at all. You really have to be careful who you run into and when, the puzzles are pretty cool and also has some nice touches to draw you into the story more. Subtle things like your character vocalizing what you're trying to observe, it plays into the whole detective role you're filling.

Seriously, $5, GET IT! I paid $40 when it came out and it was completely worth it. It saddens me that the second game will never see the light of day.

[quote name='xHOJUx']I bit on Dirt 2 and Gothic 3. I've been waiting for a $10 Dirt 2 for awhile now and even though I've heard some negative things about Gothic 3 I loved Risen and wanted to give it a shot anyways. I can risk the $5 :D[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if D2D's Gothic 3 includes the community patch (Steam's does) or if it's compatible - but Gothic 3 is unplayable without it, so make sure you get it on there.

Is Dirt 2 worth it for someone who doesn't have a racing wheel? I played the demo awhile ago, and it didn't really "hook" me, but for $10 I might give it a shot if enough like it.

looks like they changed the atari bundle. guess they thought it would sell better if they only included there better titles.

I tried to purchase Dirt 2, but never received the auto phone call to verify the phone code (probably cause I was trying on my cell phone).

Now I can't purchase the game, and I had to send a message to customer support. Anyone know if they are available on weekends? So far I haven't received a reply, and I was really looking forward to the game!

Thanks.

[quote name='saturnotaku']Which version of Windows 7 do you have? If it's Professional or Ultimate, did you try running the game in a Windows XP virtual machine?[/QUOTE]

I'm running Ultimate (Expert Zone ftw :lol:), and I tried running it under every Compatibility Mode available, ran it both as an admin and not admin, and tried turning off Aero to see if it was having issues with that. Nothing.

D2D did refund my purchase though, which was a plus. Thank goodness the game didn't ask for my activation code during the installation though, otherwise from what it sounded like from the Customer Service rep, I would have been SOL.

bread's done
Back