Direct2Drive Valentine's Day Deals - Fallout 3 GotY $25 and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd recommend skipping Fallout 3 on D2D. Like D2D's Oblivion, it's not compatible with some mods. From the FOSE list of incompatible versions:
  • Copy Protected Versions: the following versions of Fallout 3 use copy protection schemes to encrypt the Fallout3.exe, thus making it illegal to decrypt:
    • Direct2Drive (D2D) version
    • Polish DVD version w/ SafeDisc protection
    • Russian DVD version w/ StarForce protection

I don't know if that FOSE add-on is being as widely used by Fallout 3 mods as OBSE was with Oblivion. And I'm sure you can work around the Direct2Drive incompatibility by downloading a cracked Fallout3.exe. But I'm still going to wait for a more well supported version (retail or Steam) to go on sale.

Oh, and it's not part of the valentine's sale, but Hammerfight is also on sale for a week for $5.

got a question, why would it be different on D2D? do they do something to the software?

The DRM copy protection used by online vendors is often unique to that vendor, so D2D has its own, Steam has its own, and so on. Games often have to patch specifically for that store's version whenever an update is released. D2D has a reputation for having strong enough DRM to break compatibility with mods, though this is probably true of some Steam games as well.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Should be. But fortunately for Fallout 3 you can play it without logging in to GFWL.[/QUOTE]

yeah but I'd want to for the achievements

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']The DRM copy protection used by online vendors is often unique to that vendor, so D2D has its own, Steam has its own, and so on. Games often have to patch specifically for that store's version whenever an update is released. D2D has a reputation for having strong enough DRM to break compatibility with mods, though this is probably true of some Steam games as well.[/QUOTE]

most games on Steam work just fine with mods to my knowledge

at least Fallout 3, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Oblivion, etc. do

Well, I didn't read that right, I think I'll write about something else. I haven't played any of these games besides Fallout and Assassin's Creed. How is The Void

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my brother just broke down and picked this up. He didn't care about the mods so I guess it makes sense for him. As he said too, he'll just try a NoCD patch. If it works great, if not oh well. Thanks to the OP from my brother.

For some reason the sale still seems to be going. Last chance for anyone to grab something. The sale could literally end any second.

Deal is dead now on all of the games with the exception of "The Void" (it's still @ $5) although I'm sure it's soon to follow.

Thanks Op! I really want FO3 for :pc: but like others I don't want to sacrifice mods for a sale. Steam could have a killer deal when New Vegas comes out so i'll just wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back