DiRT 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 9/8

Pure Apathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
10918gametopdirt2.jpg

Release date: 09/03/2009

DiRT 2 will feature a roster of contemporary off-road events, taking players to the most diverse and challenging real-world environments. This World Tour will have players competing in aggressive multi-car and intense solo races at extraordinary new locations, from canyon racing and jungle trails to city stadium-based events.

To be powered by the third generation of the EGO™ Engine’s award-winning racing game technology, DiRT 2 will benefit from tuned-up car-handling physics system and new damage engine effects. It will also showcase a spectacular new level of visual fidelity, with cars and tracks twice as detailed as those seen in GRID.

DiRT 2’s garage houses a best-in-class collection of officially licensed rally cars and off-road vehicles, specifically selected to deliver aggressive and fast paced racing. Covering seven vehicle classes, players will be given the keys to powerful vehicles right from the off. In DiRT 2 the opening drive is the Group N Subaru; essentially making the ultimate car from the original game the starting point in the sequel and the rides just get even more impressive.

In addition to the World Tour, DiRT 2 will come complete with full online functionality that will be core to the overall experience, with head-to-head competitive online play and new social features to engage the racing community. Prepare for mud, gravel, dust and dirt too in DiRT 2, coming 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLcTMot6KwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jRVIrSBo4g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8nhxQTPZvg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94H5BIHqOhQ

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/25/new-dirt-2-trailers-feature-fancy-cars-lots-of-dirt/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Solm9xg3dGU
Anyone else getting excited for this game?

Last edited by a moderator:
just started playing dirt, im a little late to the party but im definitely digging the game alot and believe this will be a day 1 pickup for me if its as good as the first is

I hope they release a demo before the full release because I'm kind of a skiptic when it comes to the frame rate. I've seen it run at 30FPS straight and some of these trailers show 60fps. I'm guessing the console versions will be 30fps? Any ideas?

Outside of that the first Dirt kicked ass, but I'll probably pass on that one and just buy this one instead.

For anyone that cares, the demo for this is out. Incorporates the rewind feature from Grid, so that's definitely a nice touch.

[quote name='moojuice']For anyone that cares, the demo for this is out. Incorporates the rewind feature from Grid, so that's definitely a nice touch.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on the demo!

Demo was fun, though the steering was a bit...loose? I wouldn't mind a slightly tighter steering/sensitivity but overall, great game.

[quote name='moojuice']For anyone that cares, the demo for this is out. Incorporates the rewind feature from Grid, so that's definitely a nice touch.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, downloading it now.

I'm crossing my fingers for the new STi, I loved the first DiRT and hope this will be just as awesome.

im not feeling the effects when you crash , it turns all negative tone . And the steering seems loose . The menu system is almost to XTREME also . The whole thing seems like a Mt Dew red bull add .

All Codemaster's games have been a FAIL other than the first TOCA and GRiD. This game is actually pretty good. It's like they used everything about GRiD and skinned it to have Rally cars instead of Race Cars. I might actually entertain this game down the road (At least based on the demo).

I thought the demo was amazing. I thought the steering felt great. The car was always turning the way I wanted it to turn—as long as I was going at an adequate speed for said turn. I loved the way the menu is set up. The game has a lot of style and the menu system helps with that. The first game had a minimalistic type of menu while this one is all out insane. I love that insanity because of how detailed it is.

I had a lot of fun playing it. If I have the money, then I am definitely getting this game on day one.

Also, I love the water/mud effects on the windshield after driving through a puddle. Not only is the cockpit view awesome, but subtle touches like that make it even more exciting and immersive.

I enjoyed the demo a lot, though I'm still not much of a fan of the in-car camera, as it feels like I'm sitting too low to really be able to get a sense of the track and the environment. I do like the neat items they have in the demo to decorate your dashboard/rear view mirror with, like your avatar, fuzzy dice, hula dancer, and a few other items.

Argh, no STi in the demo *cue Price is Right loser music*

I still had a ton of fun. Switched the transmission to manual and did cockpit view. Man, those puddles totally make your vision FUBAR for a while and creates a bit of tension when you're barreling through courses. The hula dancer on the dash made me grin a little, too. Those little touches really get to me.

I thought the controls/steering were fine. Not too loose and not too shabby. As long as I considered the speed the car was moving and the angle towards the turn, the car went where I wanted it to go. To me, it feels like just the right interaction between the car and dirt was conveyed through the feel of the controls.

[quote name='TC']The Morroco race had me wanting Rallisport Challenge 3.[/QUOTE]
Rallisport Challenge 2 was my favorite racing game on the original xbox... It was awesome!

Tried out the demo, here are my impressions..

Pros
+The graphics are amazing.
+Rewind feature is great. If you screw up a turn, you can rewind to before the turn. Unfortunately, they use different camera angles to make it feel more "cinematic"... it can sometimes be a blind guess.
+They've pushed it further towards being an arcade racer.
+Sense of speed. Many racing games just don't give you the feeling that you're going very fast, but Dirt pulls it off very well.

Cons
+While the X-games menu system is cool and flashy, it can be confusing at first, and might get old. I suspect that some of it is to cover up the loading time... which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
+The track Hud was too small. On both races, it was almost invisible against the sky.
+Difficult AI: While I'm not the greatest at racing games, I normally do pretty well on medium. I couldn't even place in the top three on the "Serious" difficulty setting. Maybe it was just because I wasn't used the game... did anyone else have issues?

Overall, I'm looking forward to Dirt releasing soon.

[quote name='evyrew']
+Difficult AI: While I'm not the greatest at racing games, I normally do pretty well on medium. I couldn't even place in the top three on the "Serious" difficulty setting. Maybe it was just because I wasn't used the game... did anyone else have issues?[/QUOTE]

With the trophy truck in Baja I did the hardest difficulty after 4 races on normals. The first time I did the hardest I got 2nd relatively easy with a controller. Have not tried on my wheel yet.

Other then that it will most likely be an awesome game.

I wasn't too impressed with this. I was a big fan of just about all the rally games on the original XBox (CMR, VRally and Rallisport Challenge) and this just didnt seem to have the control that most of those had. I agree that the steering felt a bit loose and it reminded me more of the arcade feel of sega rally than the more realistic controls of the aforementioned titles. I had this pre-ordered for GS, but I think I am just going to have to wait for GT5.

Are there any other rally games coming out in the next few months?

[quote name='evyrew']Rallisport Challenge 2 was my favorite racing game on the original xbox... It was awesome!

Overall, I'm looking forward to Dirt releasing soon.[/QUOTE]

Same and same. It sucks Rallisport Challenge 2 is not BC but 1 is though.

After playing the demo again and have played every Colin Mcrae game made i am a little dissapointed with this game . The whole X-games flair is lame . The crash effects are very poorly chosen . Im still getting it but may wait on a few reviews first . The online however is very smooth and fast . maybe i will give the demo another chance .

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I hope they release a demo before the full release because I'm kind of a skiptic when it comes to the frame rate. I've seen it run at 30FPS straight and some of these trailers show 60fps. I'm guessing the console versions will be 30fps? Any ideas?

Outside of that the first Dirt kicked ass, but I'll probably pass on that one and just buy this one instead.[/QUOTE]I think passing on the first would a big mistake (well, you know, gaming wise). Despite the controls being a little loose, it was an awesome game and it looks like 2 will be a lot different. Dirt was cool and slick with alot of focus on different aspects of rally and similar racing types. 2 looks like it will be an attempt to reel in the extreme crowd as far as vibe goes.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ok I'm officially ready for this game, now have 1000 out of 1000 gamerscore from DiRT![/QUOTE]Going back to do the championships now. Just have the last one left, buying two more cars and I have to drive a bunch of miles in career mode which I may never do since I'll have unlocked all the cars well before then.

[quote name='whywakeup']im not feeling the effects when you crash , it turns all negative tone . And the steering seems loose . The menu system is almost to XTREME also . The whole thing seems like a Mt Dew red bull add .[/QUOTE]I like the effect at impact, but I think it should end there instead of the lasting shot. Baja felt the same to me especially with taking the win when I tried it online (for some reason I always killed the AI on the baja races in dirt1), but the trailblazer race seemed really loose and I'm still getting the grips on controlling it. I'm most used to AWDs and it is an eclipse (RWD? Feels like RWD). I struggled with the overpowered RWD that everyone set course records with in Dirt1 and yet I easily mastered the hillclimb rides.

I was surprised by the extreme vibe although seeing that it was an xgames sponsor and includes the xgames track I shoulda known. I was hoping that the xgames track being included was a sign that Rally America was going to be included to some degree, but it's pretty apparent that they are trying to reach said red bull crowd. I'm more of a rally purist and would prefer a Rally America tie-in (or a new WRC game! Come on Sony there's room for Motorstorm and WRC), but if allying with the extreme crowd (I hear the new rally races are really popular at the Xgames and several extreme athletes are getting into rally so it makes sense) will get rally a higher profile here in the states then I'm all for it after losing WRC and Rally America coverage .

[quote name='menikmati']Argh, no STi in the demo *cue Price is Right loser music*

I still had a ton of fun. Switched the transmission to manual and did cockpit view. Man, those puddles totally make your vision FUBAR for a while and creates a bit of tension when you're barreling through courses. The hula dancer on the dash made me grin a little, too. Those little touches really get to me.

I thought the controls/steering were fine. Not too loose and not too shabby. As long as I considered the speed the car was moving and the angle towards the turn, the car went where I wanted it to go. To me, it feels like just the right interaction between the car and dirt was conveyed through the feel of the controls.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I think my issue with the controls was probably an issue with the car and not the controls themselves. I woulda been just fine with my STi burning up the tarmac :D

[quote name='TC']The Morroco race had me wanting Rallisport Challenge 3.[/QUOTE]We can only dream. RIP awesome rally series.
[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I wasn't too impressed with this. I was a big fan of just about all the rally games on the original XBox (CMR, VRally and Rallisport Challenge) and this just didnt seem to have the control that most of those had. I agree that the steering felt a bit loose and it reminded me more of the arcade feel of sega rally than the more realistic controls of the aforementioned titles. I had this pre-ordered for GS, but I think I am just going to have to wait for GT5.

Are there any other rally games coming out in the next few months?[/QUOTE]I think it's the only rally game on the slate. Speaking of pre-ordering at GS, I started a thread about the in store swag received when preordering DiRT2. It's a DVD with previews for the game and some promotional material featuring Ken Block, but most importantly on the picture shown on GS.com there is a $10 coupon for the purchase of DiRT2 on ANY platform except PC which releases later than the gaming platforms.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232234

Thread's rightfully quiet as noone has gotten a DVD yet to confirm the coupon. I keep checking with local Gamestops, but they all say that they'll probably have the preorder swag about two weeks before the release date and to check back then.

I'm probably the biggest rally fan here (I did buy a fliptop lid and swap magic to import and play all the Euro WRC games on PS2), but does anyone know of anyplace to watch rally on TV, specifically WRC or Rally America. Haven't seen WRC since speed dropped it and haven't seen RA since ESPN2/VS dropped it. Dakar once a year if it's not cancelled due to terrorists just isn't enough.

[quote name='jdawgg76']

We can only dream. RIP awesome rally series.
I think it's the only rally game on the slate. Speaking of pre-ordering at GS, I started a thread about the in store swag received when preordering DiRT2. It's a DVD with previews for the game and some promotional material featuring Ken Block, but most importantly on the picture shown on GS.com there is a $10 coupon for the purchase of DiRT2 on ANY platform except PC which releases later than the gaming platforms.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232234

Thread's rightfully quiet as noone has gotten a DVD yet to confirm the coupon. I keep checking with local Gamestops, but they all say that they'll probably have the preorder swag about two weeks before the release date and to check back then.[/QUOTE]

Dont know how acurate the photos are on there site, but I checked the other day on GS site and the picture shows the coupon for Journeys or some other crap. Nothing about buying the game......

Maybe someone can confirm.

[quote name='OrngRubberDucky']Dont know how acurate the photos are on there site, but I checked the other day on GS site and the picture shows the coupon for Journeys or some other crap. Nothing about buying the game......

Maybe someone can confirm.[/QUOTE]You're right. Damn. Up until last week the coupon was obviously different. Damn, I wanted to get it right away AND save ten bucks. Oh well, I'm only getting this CoDMW2 and Uncharted 2 at release and with GS credit from tradeins so ten more bucks isn't the end of the world.

[quote name='slickkill77']This game was a lot of fun online but the grouping system was wacky and the morroco race is f&^$#@ hard[/QUOTE]I just got done replaying Morrocco and had a totally different outcome most likely cause I played a good amount of Dirt 1 first. I was using the Citroen to plow through the final championship rally and I wasn't paying as much attention as possible since I was on the phone and so I had several uncharacteristic wrecks as opposed to my usual characteristic wrecks. Anyway, after a couple I'd have to limp the car the rest of the way and in the next track until I could make it in for repairs. I was so focused on the second track each time that with a damaged car I would do better/near flawless and even set a few PBs. Did two of the national rallies and then switched to D2.

Looking at the Eclipse's fin in particular I have to wonder if it's meant for drifting turns more than proper braking and accelerating. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but without tuning options it's hard to tell. Anyway, in D1 when a car oversteers too much for my driving style I tweak it and since that's not available in the demo (unless I missed it since I was in a hurry) I adjusted my driving style and braked earlier and used the handbrake more in turns and on a track I had previously bombed every time out before this time I passed four cars and won with a substantial lead on Serious. Anyway, it seems that you need to play it safe with a Seb Loeb brake early and accelerate through style approach more than my preferred Tanner Foust drift around corners style. I'd like to see Seb Loeb at the XGames. He'd obliterate those amateurs.

Huge fan of Dirt, but I'm very disappointed in this. This doesn't play like Dirt, sure, it looks absolutely amazing, but it plays exactly like Grid. Which I thought, quite frankly, sucked. I wish they kept the controlling of vehicles like they had it in Dirt, but they went with the Grid engine instead.

I actually canceled my pre-order due to this.

Sorry but, it's a good thing it plays like GRiD. DiRT was just a car that turned on it's center axis. There was no realism or any differentiating of what car has what characteristics. Yeah, it may have been easier for you to drive, but if you want an arcade racer go play Burnout or NFS.

GRID is one of the best racers I've played in my video game career, excluding Super Mario Kart of course lol, that's just a classic. We all have different opinions but saying it sucked is a bit harsh. I believe the game was received well by gamers and reviewers.

Grid was fun , and dirt was fun but i wish they would return to the old style Colin Mcrae games which were brutally sim if you wanted it to be . The e-brake in colin mcrae 3 was vital to the game . This whole Xgames trying to be hip shit went out like ten years ago .

It is basically GRID but on DIRT...with tweaks done to the GRID graphics engine...I loved the demo, will wait to read reviews here and other sites. There is just so much coming out, Assassins Creed 2 and Brutal Legend are must for me plus back catalog maybe some day one Halo 3 ODST.....

[quote name='whywakeup']Grid was fun , and dirt was fun but i wish they would return to the old style Colin Mcrae games which were brutally sim if you wanted it to be . The e-brake in colin mcrae 3 was vital to the game . This whole Xgames trying to be hip shit went out like ten years ago .[/QUOTE]Agreed throughout. Grid and Dirt were great, but I too would like a more sim rally game to come out. If you want a serious rally sim (maybe too serious) try out Richard Burns Rally. You'll have to import a PS2 Euro copy or get a US copy for original Xbox or PC although those were limited in supply here.

Sorry to break it to you guys but studying game art & design and watching the industry, Sims are not going to be all that popular with the masses. And I'm not talking about that one game EA makes that sells like hot cakes either.^^ However with that said I don't see why developers don't have the ability to change how arcady/sims you want the game to react within an options menu or something. It mainly rests with the engine though and the GRID engine is fairly realistic, enough for me anyway. I think if you want a sim like rally game you should look at the PC platform.

Not on here, but I've said it before many of times... There shouldn't be such a thing as "arcade" these days. It's a cop-out for those like EA that like to half arse shit and pump out games every year. Another great example of this is how in most car games people cry about wanting a "drift" mode. Seriously, those people are idiots. There's no such thing as a "mode" for that. If the physics are there then it will act similar to real life and you can drift. With that said, There's a reason drifting is hard to do. (I don't drift in real life either...) Finally, just because it's sim doesn't mean a console can't do it at this point... They are pretty close to being PCs anyway...

The original Colin games were fully adjustable from arcade like to sim . If you are aware of the industry you know that the most popular racing game is a sim . Gran Turismo is insanely popular and forza is not to shabby in its own right . The problem is Rally sims and WRC games in general are not hugely popular . Thats why I do understand their X-Games flash and arcade feel but I can hope for a change in the future . Grid was good but far from realistic but still very fun .
Im going to reserve my judgement until the game actually comes out . Who knows , it may be great and get outstanding reviews .. We will see.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Agreed throughout. Grid and Dirt were great, but I too would like a more sim rally game to come out. If you want a serious rally sim (maybe too serious) try out Richard Burns Rally. You'll have to import a PS2 Euro copy or get a US copy for original Xbox or PC although those were limited in supply here.[/QUOTE]

I wanted to play Richard Burns's game from the time I first heard about it, but never got a chance. I was a fan of his from his Subaru days.

WRC on PS2 was another great rally sim. It was one of my first games for PS2, and I spent many hours playing it. Turns would come up on you so fast, you had to listen to your co-drivers' pace notes in order to finish with a good time. Real cars, real drivers, and rallys that were designed like the ones in WRC. The physics and visuals were pretty realistic for a game of it's age also. It spawned a few sequels, but I never got around to playing those.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whywakeup']The original Colin games were fully adjustable from arcade like to sim . If you are aware of the industry you know that the most popular racing game is a sim . Gran Turismo is insanely popular and forza is not to shabby in its own right . The problem is Rally sims and WRC games in general are not hugely popular . Thats why I do understand their X-Games flash and arcade feel but I can hope for a change in the future . Grid was good but far from realistic but still very fun .
Im going to reserve my judgement until the game actually comes out . Who knows , it may be great and get outstanding reviews .. We will see.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't agree. NFS, Midnight Club, and Burnout are more popular than Forza. I'm sure most people only played it because it came with the system.

I enjoyed the demo though. I thought the menu system was great and the gameplay is really fun. I'm definitely considering buying this.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Finally, just because it's sim doesn't mean a console can't do it at this point... They are pretty close to being PCs anyway...[/QUOTE]

That wasn't my point, the thing with console games compared to pc games is that they are geared for a wider gaming audience therefore you will find more sim racing games on the PC.

[quote name='jdawgg76']
I'm probably the biggest rally fan here (I did buy a fliptop lid and swap magic to import and play all the Euro WRC games on PS2), but does anyone know of anyplace to watch rally on TV, specifically WRC or Rally America. Haven't seen WRC since speed dropped it and haven't seen RA since ESPN2/VS dropped it. Dakar once a year if it's not cancelled due to terrorists just isn't enough.[/QUOTE]

I understand your situation as another avid rally fan stuck in the US. I actually imported CMR 2005 Plus for PSP to try and get my fix, although I hadnt thought to look to the PS2 games as I only recently picked up a PS2.

WRC has been picked up by HD Theater and is now shown in glorious HD. I cant vouch for it, since getting it would mean spending an extra $60/month on cable. However if they use the Eurosport telecasts, which now also broadcast in HD, its the same quality stuff that Speed used to air. Personally, I just DL all the episodes via Rally Torrents and thern I believe they have Rally America on there as well...

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I understand your situation as another avid rally fan stuck in the US. I actually imported CMR 2005 Plus for PSP to try and get my fix, although I hadnt thought to look to the PS2 games as I only recently picked up a PS2.

WRC has been picked up by HD Theater and is now shown in glorious HD. I cant vouch for it, since getting it would mean spending an extra $60/month on cable. However if they use the Eurosport telecasts, which now also broadcast in HD, its the same quality stuff that Speed used to air. Personally, I just DL all the episodes via Rally Torrents and thern I believe they have Rally America on there as well...[/QUOTE]As far as the PS2 games go, WRC 4 & 5 are the best and have the most upgrades. 5 even would have hazards to avoid such as passing slow damaged vehicles or taking care around wrecked cars with the codriver on the side of the road waving for you to slow down. 2 & 3 are still good and of course have different rosters and teams. RBR is great, but very technical and punishingly hard to a degree. You may already have it on PC anyway. I got all four WRC games, RBR, and a couple other lesser games a few years ago all off of ebay for no more than $20 w/shipping each or less. Most were less, only WRC 5 was that much and that's cause it hadn't been out long at the time. This reminds me that now that my gaming rig is back up I need to play Xpand Rally.

Thanks for the heads up on HD Theater. I have HD with DirecTV so I'll have to check and see if I get it. I didn't even know about Rally Torrents so I'll have to check that out too.

"But Dirt 2 takes the cake with a skanky Flash gimmick in which you draw a tattoo across a pair of breasts and then save the image to send to your friends or use as wallpaper. Because nothing honors the memory of Colin McRae quite like Gothic script splashed across some woman's cleavage."

Friend just sent me the above, not sure where it came from.

The presentation of the game put me off quite a bit TBH, rallying for someone in marketing's idea of the "extreme sport generation" I do not need.

[quote name='benjamouth']"But Dirt 2 takes the cake with a skanky Flash gimmick in which you draw a tattoo across a pair of breasts and then save the image to send to your friends or use as wallpaper. Because nothing honors the memory of Colin McRae quite like Gothic script splashed across some woman's cleavage."

Friend just sent me the above, not sure where it came from.

The presentation of the game put me off quite a bit TBH, rallying for someone in marketing's idea of the "extreme sport generation" I do not need.[/QUOTE]

That quote is great. i agree with you . i started playing Dirt 1 again and like the interface way more .

bread's done
Back