DiRT 3 - General Discussion X-Games Asia Available Now 400 MPs

I've never played a Dirt game but am seriously considering picking this up soon. Bigger focus on rally plus all those awesome Group B cars could mean I'll buy this at, gulp, close to MSRP!

Yeah played this about 4 hours lol but most of that was watching replays and trying to upload a few to youtube (don't think my connection will work with that/might try that again tonight). It really feels like a predecessor of DiRT 1 with elements of DiRT 2 and GRID thrown in for an awesome touch. Presentation wise I'm really impressed, yeah the graphics look great and the voice work is done very well too. I fell in love with this game when I raced buggies on snow in Aspen. :D

As with the assists, I was surprised to see a recommended driving line like you'd see in Forza on default for Intermediate difficulty. Yeah I turned it off, no need esp since my co-pilot is telling me directions and you have the track preview at the top. Kept the other assists on but went up one for AI dif since my dude wouldn't stop telling me why don't you go up one difficulty (this was in DiRT 1 as well with Travis Pastrata).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone having issues with freezing? I have the game installed on my HD, and after the very first race, when the screen seems to be loading back into the menus, the game just freezes, happened twice so far.

[quote name='moojuice']Anyone having issues with freezing? I have the game installed on my HD, and after the very first race, when the screen seems to be loading back into the menus, the game just freezes, happened twice so far.[/QUOTE]

I haven't run into anything but it usually pertains to which 360 console you're playing on. Try deleting your cache, go to your hard drive and perform the option available.

Finished off the first 4 competitions(ie. through Gymkhana Academy). Very pleased w/ it so far, anyone here happen to pre-order through Amazon? Received my pre-order bonus code this morning and it's not being found on xbox.com.

---edit---

The fact that the Dirt 3 title page on xbox.com is not showing up(as of 9am EST) may be playing a factor in that?

Is that Gymkhana stuff a required part of the game? I can't say I like the idea. I'd just want to do offroad racing. So can you just skip that stuff or is it required to progress?

Trying to hold out til my B day to see if I get it then. I just have to keep avoiding watching video (not doing a good job of that...).

[quote name='crunchewy']Is that Gymkhana stuff a required part of the game? I can't say I like the idea. I'd just want to do offroad racing. So can you just skip that stuff or is it required to progress?[/QUOTE]

Looking like it will be a standard event along w/ Trailblazer, Rally, RallyCross etc.

[quote name='crunchewy']Is that Gymkhana stuff a required part of the game? I can't say I like the idea. I'd just want to do offroad racing. So can you just skip that stuff or is it required to progress?[/QUOTE]

I'm not liking the Gymkhana stuff either. I completely suck at it and have no interest in working on it to get better. The Gymkhana Academy I think is required, because it is more a tutorial on how to do it. I bronzed all the tutorial events, but got first place in the final competition as I guess the AI players are worse than me. :)

They had some of these challenges before reaching the Gymkhana Academy. It seemed to me like you could skip them. It is pretty easy to bronze the challenges. I'll probably just go for that on all of them and move on. I won't be getting platinum on any of them for sure. Won't be getting that achievement.

Yeah the menus are back to something you'd see in Dirt 1, gone is the 3D walking around your race RV. I didn't mind it as much as many others did and I thought it added atmosphere to your race career. The way it's set up now it feels like a bit of Need for Speed: Pro Street actually with grafiti logos representing events. The Gymkhana events are neat although not mandatory, yes the tutorials are though, and it seems like an event that I'll get better with practice. I'm silver or golding the events so far. I was actually very surprised to see that after 12 minutes of goofing off in the DC parking lot I could watch the entire replay! That's a lot of memory or hdd use. ^^
BTW, damn they seem to take forever to upload.
Oh yeah, shit I'm not the only one here?! It takes foreeeeeeeeeeverrrrrrrrrrr. I think my play time was padded because of the time I had to wait for my video to upload to youtube. In one case I just said f it I'll manually record the video because it's a lot faster.

Anyways here's one of my clean rally stages that ended in an epic fail lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=X1cUoCNXhg8

Damn it... you got my hopes up that it was a DiRT 2 video. :(

None the less, Great stuff.

Edit: Is there car customization at all in this one? DiRT 2's is half ass lame.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Yeah I wish Ralisport Challenge 2 was bc like 1 is for the 360. Oh well I'll get my fix when the damn UPS driver shows up today lol. That said I topped off my Dirt 2 profile at lvl 99, although I have no idea when it stops counting exp.[/QUOTE]I miss ice racing and Hillclimb events. . . I don't think Dirt 2 ever stops counting. Just look at the top of the leaderboards. Russault is #1 in the world in mp and is level 646 or something. He actually joined in my pro tour room in D3 tonight. Having raced against him several times in D2, it's funny to see him be more human in D3. I even barely beat him in a Trailblazer event to get a win. Only came close once in D2. Mostly he crushed everyone and only had trouble in a rare land rush type race where he would get wrecked by someone, although usually he avoided trouble.

[quote name='notwen']Finished off the first 4 competitions(ie. through Gymkhana Academy). Very pleased w/ it so far, anyone here happen to pre-order through Amazon? Received my pre-order bonus code this morning and it's not being found on xbox.com.

---edit---

The fact that the Dirt 3 title page on xbox.com is not showing up(as of 9am EST) may be playing a factor in that?[/QUOTE]What was the Amazon bonus? I got the GS bonus where Texaco skins are available for certain cars and the race bonus is 2250. DLed no problem.

[quote name='crunchewy']Is that Gymkhana stuff a required part of the game? I can't say I like the idea. I'd just want to do offroad racing. So can you just skip that stuff or is it required to progress?[/QUOTE]I was really not interested in Gymkhana, but after trying it out a little bit it seems really fun.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/jvgPgvP1g_0

On this lap "WR" popped up next to my lap time, but I don't see a new time listed under time trial, just my old time which is a second or so off the WR time. Don't see my time when I beat Russault in Trailblazer either. Weird. The WR popping up seemed weird, too, since it's not a perfect lap although a few turns were really good.

[quote name='jdawgg76']
What was the Amazon bonus? I got the GS bonus where Texaco skins are available for certain cars and the race bonus is 2250. DLed no problem.
[/QUOTE]

Nothing spectacular, only liveries and 4 tracks, just wanted to get the extra tracks for a slight boost in driver rep. Was able to download them once I got home, think it may have been all the marketplace issues xbox was having yesterday.

"Pre-order Dirt 3 and receive a Team Yokohama code that lets you access all three cars from Yokohama Racing Line-Up, unlock four bonus racing events, and gain higher driver rep."

So my game froze after playing an event the other day and it gave me the "Teacher's Pet" achievement as a consolation prize :whee:

Haha yeah holy shit the Trailblazer events you have to be in the zone the entire time, esp with cars that have 800 bhp. I know you get a few flashbacks so that's nice but race results have shown hundreds of a second between me and the AI. I'm only on AI level 4 but they give you a run for your money. Aside from the RallyX, I blow everyone out of the water in those lol.

Yeah I pre-ordered from Amazon so I got that bonus.

My game sort of stutters right before an achievement pops for me so I bet that's probably what happened woodcan.

Do you see crazy crashes or want to see some?

Also it seems like I always loose it near the finish line. Haha but strangely enough I still crossed the finish line and came in 1st. ^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr3mkWFBEXE

Haha nice finish Spy, you should FR me (I think your list is full?) and we can rally it up. Same goes for anyone else! Gamertag is "nah dew"

Nice finish. I did a barrel roll through the finish last night playing online and held onto second in the race. First was way out in front of me.

Freezing is apparently a somewhat big problem with lots of complaints. It happened twice after the first rally in the third event of the third section of season two. Goes to load the next stage with a view of the car and then I have to power down the system as its completely frozen. Can still run other events though.

After my first upload to youtube, the game prompted that a download was complete and I was prompted to return to title screen for DL to be used, but there was nothing new. Anyone else get something like that?

[quote name='jdawgg76']Nice finish. I did a barrel roll through the finish last night playing online and held onto second in the race. First was way out in front of me.

Freezing is apparently a somewhat big problem with lots of complaints. It happened twice after the first rally in the third event of the third section of season two. Goes to load the next stage with a view of the car and then I have to power down the system as its completely frozen. Can still run other events though.

After my first upload to youtube, the game prompted that a download was complete and I was prompted to return to title screen for DL to be used, but there was nothing new. Anyone else get something like that?[/QUOTE]

Hmm my game's been running smooth and like I said before the only time it stutters is when the achievement is about to pop. Looking at Xbox's forums it looks like some poeple are experiencing freezes with Dirt 3, they should be working on a patch then. I like the fact that you can look at the cars while loading the tracks, nice little touch which doesn't throw you out of the game's immersion and can be tolerable (I don't mind reading text in loading screens (Forza, Fable) but it's not for every game/ the loading is a few seconds if installed to the hard drive as well).

[quote name='bsmiff']Haha nice finish Spy, you should FR me (I think your list is full?) and we can rally it up. Same goes for anyone else! Gamertag is "nah dew"[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm close to 100 (It seems if you have 100 friends playing Bejeweled Blitz your exp lvl is reset (stupid glitch) so I need to make sure I go to 99 and I'm very selective) but I'll add you today.

[quote name='crunchewy']Argh. You folks are making this game look awful fun. Must ... resist.[/QUOTE]

That's because it is. ;)

As for the blown tire, that's one thing I love about Codemaster games like Dirt or GRID, the constant need to steer against the opposing vehicle damage. It ramps up the intensity, the intensity added onto blazing down a snow covered road at 115 mph! :bouncy:

Ok like GRID I wonder how World Records work, esp when offline. I was playing yesterday and due to storms my internet was cut off but I posted a WR in buggies on the Aspen course. I'm guessing that's the record when they shipped the game because how can you tell if you're not hooked up online haha?! Well I'm playing with Live today and got three WR back to back on LA Coliseum Vermont Avenue lol. The first one was when I was trying to battle through AIs as I started stationary on the starting line so that had to be a glitch or something.

I did a quick Group B rally on my lunch break and was reminded how well-made the AI is in this game. Was a great run, rounded the last curve before the finish, and there was a wrecked Audi blocking the gate! Pretty awesome to see AI racers wrecking out and mixing the game up like that, unlike in Sega Rally Revo.

However, I tried to upload the clip of me smashing into that wreck, somersaulting over the finish, but the game's now saying my YouTube account info is wrong. I tried entering it again correctly, no dice. I wonder why the option to save replays wasn't included... bummer to let a clip like that go.

So is anyone else getting tired of all the bro-chatter pats on the back after every stinkin' tour event? "Nice silver medal, what a day. Way to go amigo!" Blech.

Had a good time racing with jdawgg last night. It'll be awesome to get a big CAG rally going! crunc, this game is killer man...

Yeah I was just on the Xbox forums around noon and somebody was talking about the youtube thing asking them the same as you described. I just tried it and yeah it seems like it's borked.

It is odd that many 360 users would probably have a hard drive so why not be able to save the replays to your system for further possible uploading later on. Oh well backup is the dig cam.^^

Here's the official statement about the YT issue: http://community.codemasters.com/forum/dirt-3-general-discussion-1339/465965-youtube-uploading-temporarily-disabled.html

It would be great if they'd implement a replay editing system more like Skate 3's. These clips are getting a bit boring, as every track seems to apply the same sequence of cinematic camera angles to every single person's replay. Why not less us edit replays with custom camera shots and save the replays for our own viewing pleasure? Fingers crossed for a replay editor patch, or hell, even a pack with a minor cost like the Skate franchise uses.

Hit me up with an invite if you guys play again nah and Jdawg. I'll be cracking open my 360 copy this afternoon or evening (been playing on PC).

FYI, it looks like the game has crashed/frozen 6 times on me now since launch and it's always immediately after the game saves and is loading right after a race. I started freaking out today too because I thought my center speaker was out but turns out it only plays the voices through the center channel (I think I remember reading that somewhere too in the game).

[quote name='woodcan']Hit me up with an invite if you guys play again nah and Jdawg. I'll be cracking open my 360 copy this afternoon or evening (been playing on PC).

FYI, it looks like the game has crashed/frozen 6 times on me now since launch and it's always immediately after the game saves and is loading right after a race. I started freaking out today too because I thought my center speaker was out but turns out it only plays the voices through the center channel (I think I remember reading that somewhere too in the game).[/QUOTE]

I'm on right now for a short while if you want to join up.

I just tried out multiplayer, woo it works for me, and was kicking ass until I stopped to eat dinner lol. I'll be on again tonight after 10 or so.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Hmm my game's been running smooth and like I said before the only time it stutters is when the achievement is about to pop. Looking at Xbox's forums it looks like some poeple are experiencing freezes with Dirt 3, they should be working on a patch then. [/QUOTE]Yeah, there's a lot of people out there experiencing the freezing issue and it seems like a lot of pc players have issues. I haven't gotten a new pc game in forever so I don't know how common that is nowadays, but alot of pc users are posting in CM's DiRT3 tech issues thread. Went ahead and put my info in. They are definitely looking into the issue, but can't get the problem to occur for themselves so far.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ok like GRID I wonder how World Records work, esp when offline. I was playing yesterday and due to storms my internet was cut off but I posted a WR in buggies on the Aspen course. I'm guessing that's the record when they shipped the game because how can you tell if you're not hooked up online haha?! Well I'm playing with Live today and got three WR back to back on LA Coliseum Vermont Avenue lol. The first one was when I was trying to battle through AIs as I started stationary on the starting line so that had to be a glitch or something.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I think there's a WR glitch cause my "WR" was on a really good, but not near perfect lap and it never replaced my old time plus I've seen a few others mention the same thing in other forums.

[quote name='Spybreak8']It is odd that many 360 users would probably have a hard drive so why not be able to save the replays to your system for further possible uploading later on. Oh well backup is the dig cam.^^[/QUOTE]How can younot save a replay? Seriously. Should be a given.

[quote name='woodcan']Hit me up with an invite if you guys play again nah and Jdawg. I'll be cracking open my 360 copy this afternoon or evening (been playing on PC).

FYI, it looks like the game has crashed/frozen 6 times on me now since launch and it's always immediately after the game saves and is loading right after a race. I started freaking out today too because I thought my center speaker was out but turns out it only plays the voices through the center channel (I think I remember reading that somewhere too in the game).[/QUOTE]I don't know how much responses have been given to pc crashes, but you may want to check out the official DiRT 3 forums as lots of pc users are posting issues and fixes in some cases.

That WR thing is definitely some kinda glitch. Happened twice tonight, once in a landrush at smelter and then at a rallyx in LA. In LA I ran a 35 the first lap and "got" a WR and then on the next lap ran a 28 and got another. Looked at times for that course afterwards and 26 is the WR.

Sorry if this has been answered already but I just started playing my 360 copy last night and this morning and can't find a trace of the GS preorder content in the game. I have the GS pre-order code stuff downloaded for the Texaco liveries etc but so far in the first area of the Dirt Tour I have not seen any Texaco livery options and I don't see the extra levels anywhere. I double-checked that the "bonus content" was downloaded to my HDD along with the VIP pass. Any comments where/when you are supposed to get access to this stuff because I thought the verbage was "immediate access."

EDIT: Hmm, just read JDawg's post above and I'm not getting the race bonus of "2250" either.

EDIT2: Ah, nevermind, just made it to the Brembo Blast Land Rush race and they finally gave me a Texaco option in my liveries with the objective bonus of 2250. /impatience

[quote name='moojuice']The non-racing multiplayer modes are really run, especially transporter. Didn't expect that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, never thought CTF would make it to a racing game lol but it was fun in the depot of the DC compound that I played a few matches in. I found invasion to be fun to, work on your precision and drifting techniques smashing cardboard cutouts of aliens.

I like that you can get xp for "beating the odds" (beating racers that are higher lvl than you), that's a nice touch.

[quote name='bsmiff']Anyone else pick this up? Need some more online rally buddies! Multiplayer is killer, can't wait for more DLC cars and hopefully locations/courses.[/QUOTE]

I haven't really tried the MP yet, but I plan to give it a shot sometime. I haven't had much time to really sit and play for an extended period of time.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it, not too keen on the Gymkhana though, seems like my car just slips way too much for me to be able to control it properly. It also feels out of place with the current format, it would have fit in much better in 2.

Nah if you think about it Gymkhana is there for you to perfect your driving precision with racing lines and drifts. I like Invasion because you really work on your lines and drifts. I got platnum on that challenge the other day after 6 or 7 tries to get Gold. To my suprise I nail it and get Platinum, woo!

Yeah MP is pretty fun and it's neat depending on what you're doing. The typical Rally is fun since everyone starts off in stuttered starts and you don't have to worry about turn 1 if say you're doing RallyX. Non racing competition like Invasion and Transporter are fun to do when you're looking for a bit of variety.

That's the thing, I only did one world tour as I'm enjoying the seasons more since they've got a variety of events to go through instead of one discipline like Trailblazer. I've got some videos I've gotta upload.

One thing I wish we would have or possibly get in DLC is the option for in multiplayer just to mess around in the DC Compound by placing either/both checkpoint gates and tricks around the map. Then play horse or whatever, that would be a lot of fun.

jello you'll like MP, it's lots of fun. Sent you a FR.

As far as Gymkhana goes, I just wish the Joyride MP mode allowed EVERY car in the game, so I really could practice handling specific cars. Plus I'd get a lot more joy out of launching a Quattro or RS200 off a corkscrew ramp :)

Another video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk0Kq4Zsuc

I getting caught up in the hype now. I'm thinking about picking this up tomorrow, I was thinking about waiting on a sale. How does this stack against 2? I know it has a new race type but is it that much better than two or just a rehash?

Still getting WRs like crazy, once I even got a WR on each lap as each was better than the last. Wonder what causes that. Only happens to me on races with laps. I now have about 5 races that freeze in a loading screen. I haven't tried erasing the DLC yet, figured I'd run the whole career until I got stuck or finished and then delete it and go back and try again. Don't need the DLC stuff as far as bonuses are concerned since the final cars all have 2000 to 2250 bonus points anyway. Actually, I'm past level 30 and everything is unlocked so I don't think points really matter anymore. Just started working on the last season tier two and only 64% done!

I'm digging gymkhana more and getting better. I usually have to use a flashback or two in order to not break a bonus streak, but I routinely get 240,000 to 400,000 points. Thought I'd never get the 500,000 achievement as there isn't enough time, but I went on a wicked run and topped it by 2,000.

Too bad you can't upload online races, how cool would it be to own someone who was talking smack and the post it.

As promised :D
Was dueling in Aspen when I took one corner too wide and this happened. Lol no need for a flashback, all is good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j47E4uBRTKQ
Was racing on the LA circuit and pulled out WR and PBs back to back but this surely helped one of my laps as I chained a nice long drift to bypass the two left turns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAdXQTXIycc
Platinum DC Smash Challenge in the dept:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MJaFSh7PQ0
Yeah I even got a WR on one of the stadium truck races in Michigan when people were running into me and all. They're def glitched.

bread's done
Back