Disc Read Error 80029940

lordopus99

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So last night, my fiance and I attempted to watch a Blu-Ray version of How to Train a Dragon on my PS3. Between scene 7 and 8, the disc started to freeze a little. Eventually, we tried to restart it and at which point I received an 80029940 can't read disc error. Upon getting out, we then tried to watch another movie, at which it didn't load and spewed the same error. At that point, I got worried so I tried to a game, in which we knew that worked and it did the same error. I fully shut it down last night i.e. not leaving it on standby like usual.

This morning I was able to get a disc to run. The second I tried the same scene in How to Train a Dragon, the error trail started again.

PS3 - it is a 6mth-1year after launch system. It is a 80GB.
How to Train a Dragon disc is from Netflix and we are the first ones to get it. Disc appears to look fine.

Question: Could this have anything to do with the update for 3D? Could my lens be going out? Anyone have any insight on what might be going on?

If it's happening with games as well as movies, then your lens is probably going out. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it short of getting the Blu-ray drive replaced. :\

bread's done
Back