Disc repair?

SilverPrince

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sooo. My copy of Final Fantasy VII is freezing on me consistently in one very specific spot, so I think it's time to get it fixed. Anyone have any recommendations? I know Blockbuster, Hastings, and pretty much any movie repair place will do it. There's a local game store that will too, but their price is pretty high. So what's the best place to go to? I was considering trying cdfixers.com, I've seen nothing but good reviews on them, so does anyone have personal experience there? I really don't know how well simply buffing them does, and I want to get this done right. Thanks for any and all help!

Rental place use quality machine so they should be fine.  Unless you want to DIY like the toothpaste trick or something.

Toothpaste trick? Can you explain how its done with toothpaste
Toothpaste is an abrasive. Put some on the disc and rub it from the middle-out (never circles). You use it to rub down the plastic by a layer to buff it, essentially the same way a buffer does. ymmv with this trick. I've tried it before and it didn't work, tried Brasso too. But for some people it gets the job done.

Thanks for the input so far! The discs are really scratched up, if that makes a difference.

I would avoid the toothpaste trick. it can work, but its a tricky mess.

seriously, just go to any video store (family video charges 2 bucks a game I think). I take games there I find used all the time with A+ results.

The home remedies (tooth paste, plastic/paint polish, pledge polish, banana peel, etc.) usually don't work for anything other than very light scratches or scuffs, and if that's the extent of the damage on your disc, then it's unlikely that resurfacing it would make the disc work. 

I used Family Video once and they just stuck the disc in their machine without adding any of the resurfacing solution. The disc did look much better but still had tons scratches left (in addition to some new ones), but they didn't charge me for it. 

I now use a local mom & pop place that does it and have been extremely happy. They charge $2 a disc but the discs always end up looking brand new. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy it Pre-Owned from Gamestop then return the broken one. Simple.

Edit: Sorry realized it was VII. not XII. Well, if you can find it, my method would work lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back