Disc Scratch Repair

jakescape53

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey,
I just picked up Battlefield 2 today for the pc and when I got home I noticed that the first disc (the installation disc) has one small scratch on it that is just big enough to prevent it from installing. I dont want to return yet if it is fixable. I dont have a disc docter or anything and I was wondering are there any ways I can buff out a scratch myself. If not im gonna use a friends disc resurfacer and if that doesn't work ill return it.

thanks for the help!

Go get a bottle of Brasso (the liquid stuff). A normal bottle should last you for years and years. Get a rag and rub on a light covering in circles and let it dry (it will look pretty nasty and cloudy). Once it has dried, buff it out by rubbing it in circles again. After it's buffed, spray a little regular Pledge and clean it off and give it a try.

I do this for everything I buy used now. I bought some movies at the pawnshop that skipped horribly, so I tried this and it worked spectacularly.

Just remember that if the foil layer is damaged... the disk is done for...

thanks for your help man. I ended up borrowing the installation disc that was scratched from a friend and im using that to get the game working. Thanks for your tips though.

You should still try it on your own disc though... you know. In case you have to reinstall it, you don't have to keep borrowing the disc.

Kind of on topic, how well do those resurfacing machines work? I was thinking of taking some scratched games that I have to Game Crazy and get them resurfaced. Do they look smooth and good as new, or do they have tiny swirls all around the surface?

[quote name='grungygamer']Kind of on topic, how well do those resurfacing machines work? I was thinking of taking some scratched games that I have to Game Crazy and get them resurfaced. Do they look smooth and good as new, or do they have tiny swirls all around the surface?[/QUOTE]

I have honestly no idea. I've heard that if it is a professional-type machine, it works pretty well actually. If they is one of those plastic $30 dollar rip offs, it swirls the disc.

If I'm not mistaken... the professional resurfacer takes off a small layer of the disc, just enough to get below scratches.

The gamecrazy machine leaves swirl marks like crazy!!! I had one done a few days ago, and I think it looked better before they touched it!! I was told that allot of it matters on who is doing it and how experienced at it they are.

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']Go get a bottle of Brasso (the liquid stuff). A normal bottle should last you for years and years. Get a rag and rub on a light covering in circles and let it dry (it will look pretty nasty and cloudy). Once it has dried, buff it out by rubbing it in circles again. After it's buffed, spray a little regular Pledge and clean it off and give it a try.

I do this for everything I buy used now. I bought some movies at the pawnshop that skipped horribly, so I tried this and it worked spectacularly.

Just remember that if the foil layer is damaged... the disk is done for...[/quote]

Would you recommend this for horribly scratched GC games ? I just moved over the past weekend and 4 of my 9yo sons disks(2 of which are Mario games, agh!) are unreadable. I guess I'll chalk that up to a lesson learned for letting him pack his own stuff.
I took Lego Star Wars to a CD Warehouse last year for resurfacing, which worked great. But now with the price of gas and moving out to the country, doing it myself makes alot more sense.

Actually the gamecrazy machines are awesome. all you need to do is make sure the person knows how to use it. I'm damn good with it now. I leave no marks, the disc looks almost brand new and it plays. GC charges $2 for one disc or you can buy a prepaid card for $5 for 5 resurfaces. you also get one of those resurface cards if you sign up for an MVP.

[quote name='bluekeith75']The gamecrazy machine leaves swirl marks like crazy!!! I had one done a few days ago, and I think it looked better before they touched it!! I was told that allot of it matters on who is doing it and how experienced at it they are.[/QUOTE]

The machine doesn't leave swirl marks. Its the employee that wipes the disc that is leaving the swirl marks. You just have to remind the employee to be careful when they wipe the material off the disc after its been buffed.

One easy first test is to hold the disc up in front of a light. If you can see any light through the scratch/damage to the disc it's unrepairable.

[quote name='y2jedi']Would you recommend this for horribly scratched GC games ? I just moved over the past weekend and 4 of my 9yo sons disks(2 of which are Mario games, agh!) are unreadable. I guess I'll chalk that up to a lesson learned for letting him pack his own stuff.
I took Lego Star Wars to a CD Warehouse last year for resurfacing, which worked great. But now with the price of gas and moving out to the country, doing it myself makes alot more sense.[/QUOTE]

Like Wubb said, if you can see gaps in the foil layer, the disc is no good. But the brasso technique has worked on DVD's, CD's, and PS2 games for me. I don't see the difference in using those on a GC disc.

The scratches will still be visible on the disc, but the Brasso fills them with a clear layer allowing it to be read.

If you're kind of worried about the whole Brasso thing, maybe try it on a cheap DVD or CD (everybody has one somewhere) that skips or can't be read. It's also good practice!

bread's done
Back