Discounts on All Gamestop Merchandise?

ErezYehuda

CAGiversary!
Hey, I was looking around for some coupon codes or deals from Gamestop, but I couldn't find one that covered ALL of their stuff. I'm not looking for anything massive (perfectly fine with 20% off and below). I just wanted to know if there was something that wasn't specific to used or new games, guides, etc.

Edit: This does include "spend this much" offers. The main criteria I'm looking for is that it's not specific to what's being bought. >_o

GameStop almost never has coupons that are good on consoles, new games, and such. It's because they make a huge chunk of their profits off used stuff. As such, they offer coupons that are only going to drop their profit on an item a small amount, instead of completely erasing it.

I think really their sale recently that caught a lot of people off guard was the 50% off guides sale. Those things really are almost never on sale at GameStop unless they're pennied out.

[quote name='mission42']Please everyone, I just want a 20% off of anything coupon! Is that too much to ask for?!?![/QUOTE]

:( You phrase that like it's a stupid thing to ask about, but 20% and below isn't all that unrealistic. It's not like I'm asking for 75% off new $60 games, just modest savings that aren't just for used games.

[quote name='ErezYehuda']Hey, I was looking around for some coupon codes or deals from Gamestop, but I couldn't find one that covered ALL of their stuff. I'm not looking for anything massive (perfectly fine with 20% off and below). I just wanted to know if there was something that wasn't specific to used or new games, guides, etc.

Edit: This does include "spend this much" offers. The main criteria I'm looking for is that it's not specific to what's being bought. >_o[/QUOTE]

Ask for their Powerup Rewards card next time you're in a gamestop store. If you get the $14.99 card you'll earn more reward points as opposed to the free one, which can then be redeemed for various coupons exclusive to Powerup Rewards members. Only problem is it may take a little bit to accumulate the necessary points for whatever coupon you're shooting for.

For example they have coupons you can get by redeeming rewards points that are good for any gamestop purchase. Some of those require tens of thousands rewards points to redeem for them though. Like the $50 off any gamestop purchase coupon can be gotten for 50,000 rewards points.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='aeroforce325']Ask for their Powerup Rewards card next time you're in a gamestop store. If you get the $14.99 card you'll earn more reward points as opposed to the free one, which can then be redeemed for various coupons exclusive to Powerup Rewards members. Only problem is it may take a little bit to accumulate the necessary points for whatever coupon you're shooting for.

For example they have coupons you can get by redeeming rewards points that are good for any gamestop purchase. Some of those require tens of thousands rewards points to redeem for them though. Like the $50 off any gamestop purchase coupon can be gotten for 50,000 rewards points.[/QUOTE]

Wow, and you actually want to pay $15 for a card that makes you earn 50k points for a coupon?

Glad I always pass when asked if I want to buy one of these cards.

I was in there the other day buying a $10 game, and the kid asked me if i wanted to buy one. The manager was at the next register, and gave me such a look of "F-Off" when I replied to the kid that it'd take me spending $150 in there just for the card to pay for itself (10% off used games means buying $150 worth of used games to get that money back). Makes no sense, buy a $10 game, add on $15 for the card to get $1 off that game? Nice scam they have there with these cards.

[quote name='praxus07']Wow, and you actually want to pay $15 for a card that makes you earn 50k points for a coupon?

I was in there the other day buying a $10 game, and the kid asked me if i wanted to buy one. The manager was at the next register, and gave me such a look of "F-Off" when I replied to the kid that it'd take me spending $150 in there just for the card to pay for itself (10% off used games means buying $150 worth of used games to get that money back). Makes no sense, buy a $10 game, add on $15 for the card to get $1 off that game? Nice scam they have there with these cards.[/QUOTE]

yeah, not to mention the magazine that's a fairly enjoyable read, and the 10% extra on trade-ins. Those cards really blow!!!!

[quote name='praxus07']Wow, and you actually want to pay $15 for a card that makes you earn 50k points for a coupon?

I was in there the other day buying a $10 game, and the kid asked me if i wanted to buy one. The manager was at the next register, and gave me such a look of "F-Off" when I replied to the kid that it'd take me spending $150 in there just for the card to pay for itself (10% off used games means buying $150 worth of used games to get that money back). Makes no sense, buy a $10 game, add on $15 for the card to get $1 off that game? Nice scam they have there with these cards.[/QUOTE]

You're doing it wrong. What you do is buy the card with $15 in Gamestop credit and then come in with $150 worth of unsellable drek across various trade-in promos. ;)

People like you make me laugh, the card works on everything...you mean to tell me throughout the year you don't buy 3 new games that they sell used for like $55? Not to mention the buy 2 get one free coupon when you sign up. Between those two you pay for the card in a couple of visits.

Why would I pay $55 + tax for a new release used game from gamestop when I could spend $54 on Amazon and get it brand new? Or not counting Amazon, just pay $60+ tax and get a new copy. Assuming I'm not going to abuse the trade in/return policy gamestop has.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']You're doing it wrong. What you do is buy the card with $15 in Gamestop credit and then come in with $150 worth of unsellable drek across various trade-in promos. ;)[/QUOTE]
You mean like I did and they banned my ass for?:lol:;)

Remember kids, it's not nice to make profit on old uncle Gamestop. If you do, then you're an evil sob and they don't want your business.:booty:

There's actually a lot of offers that are exclusive to Powerup Rewards members. Like me for example. Where any other person would earn 10 points for every dollar spent on new game purchases, and 20 points for every dollar spent on pre-owned purchases, I earn double those figures since my birthday falls on this month. It would be the same for others on the month of their birthdays. Not to mention there are other coupon offers for various other things. Also remember how the b2g1 coupons used to be included in the gamestop newsletter e-mail every now and then? Now those are almost exclusively offered to Powerup Rewards members. You may still get one in a blue moon without the card via the gamestop newsletter, but not nearly as often as before the program started.

[quote name='mission42']Why would I pay $55 + tax for a new release used game from gamestop when I could spend $54 on Amazon and get it brand new? Or not counting Amazon, just pay $60+ tax and get a new copy. Assuming I'm not going to abuse the trade in/return policy gamestop has.[/QUOTE]

Getting your games cheaper elsewhere is your option. Abusing the gamestop return policy is completely up to you also, though if you did go that route upon getting a card I'd say to find as many gamestop stores in your area as possible, and spread your trade ins evenly among them. Abusing the trade in policy at one store could result in them not wanting your business, even if it did profit them in the end. Having multiple stores to abuse evenly avoids that, as they'd see you as an occasional trade in type of person at each store you visited.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']yeah, not to mention the magazine that's a fairly enjoyable read, and the 10% extra on trade-ins. Those cards really blow!!!![/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what magazine you're talking about. It was my understanding that the PowerUp Rewards card Pro included Game Informer for a year, and we all know that GI is pretty bad. If by enjoyable you meant painful, then yeah, I guess you're right.

[quote name='ErezYehuda']:( You phrase that like it's a stupid thing to ask about[/QUOTE]
That's because with Gamestop, that is something stupid to ask about.

I've earned enough for 2 $5 off coupons since I got my Power Up card last Oct, and they've given me 2 b2g1 coupons. And that's without doing THAT much business at GS. So yeah, it's a real rip-off. :roll:

I never really get why anyone ever knocked the EDGE/PowerUP Rewards card. It's $15. All you have to do is save $15 over the entire year, and you've broken even, not to mention the GI sub. People always wanna knock GI, but it's just a video game magazine. I mean, I really don't know what people are looking for out of it. They generally seem to review games on a curve, but what do I care? Who actually reads just one review?

[quote name='mission42']Why would I pay $55 + tax for a new release used game from gamestop when I could spend $54 on Amazon and get it brand new? Or not counting Amazon, just pay $60+ tax and get a new copy. Assuming I'm not going to abuse the trade in/return policy gamestop has.[/QUOTE]

Well you wouldn't pay $55 plus tax for it if you had the card...which was my point but you missed that I guess.

[quote name='Altanis']I'm not sure what magazine you're talking about. It was my understanding that the PowerUp Rewards card Pro included Game Informer for a year, and we all know that GI is pretty bad. If by enjoyable you meant painful, then yeah, I guess you're right.[/QUOTE]
I think your sarcasm detector is broken, since that post of theirs was heavy with it.:D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean like I did and they banned my ass for?:lol:;)

Remember kids, it's not nice to make profit on old uncle Gamestop. If you do, then you're an evil sob and they don't want your business.:booty:[/QUOTE]

Lol, weren't you the one who traded in six or eight copies of the same title? That would make you secretly my hero :cool:

I had to cool down myself a little bit once a suspicious employee started looking at my record and seeing that every purchase was a minty reprint, a Shin Megami Tensei game, or Tales of Abyss. Then he was like, "I see you have Suikoden 5 on here, why did you return it?" Well, I found a disc-only at one store not expecting that you would have a complete one at a different location.

Seriously though, I don't see them getting hurt at all by my activities. It's not like I'm bringing up a dumptruck of Madden NFL 2004 and bulk-raping them for 25 cents each. They've gotten some good stuff from me on occasion: a Pokemon Emerald, a steel gray ds console (bastards charged me for a stylus three pack and kept the other two, wtf is that called???), some Final Fantasy and God of War games, etc.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Lol, weren't you the one who traded in six or eight copies of the same title? That would make you secretly my hero :cool:

I had to cool down myself a little bit once a suspicious employee started looking at my record and seeing that every purchase was a minty reprint, a Shin Megami Tensei game, or Tales of Abyss. Then he was like, "I see you have Suikoden 5 on here, why did you return it?" Well, I found a disc-only at one store not expecting that you would have a complete one at a different location.

Seriously though, I don't see them getting hurt at all by my activities. It's not like I'm bringing up a dumptruck of Madden NFL 2004 and bulk-raping them for 25 cents each. They've gotten some good stuff from me on occasion: a Pokemon Emerald, a steel gray ds console (bastards charged me for a stylus three pack and kept the other two, wtf is that called???), some Final Fantasy and God of War games, etc.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I was one of the folks trading in copies of Fairytale Fights, Nerf N Strike 2 and Sudoku Ball Detective from the BB coupon glitches en masse.:D

I think I also sold them about 6-8 copies of Loco Roco 2 for PSP that i got for between $.48 and $.96 a copy at Sears.:lol:

Before all of those multiple trades and the HDMI thing that likely got me banned I would only trade in games from my collection that I got stupid cheap and I was still making money on after promos and EDGE/PUR.

Aside from a few filler games I broke even or maybe lost a $1-2 on I don't think I've really given them much stuff without actually making good credit on them.;)

A huge part of why I've been able to profit so much from them is JP's great work on the GS trade value thread, which I always cross referenced before even stepping foot into a GS store. I'd already have a total I was supposed to get figured out in my head before they even hit total and told me what I was getting.:lol:

If it was off by even $1-2 I would ask if they hit me with a refurb fee for something and then ask them why as I check the item they nailed me with the fee for.

I actually had them redo entire trade transactions before because they either missed a game or they tried to nail me for fees on mint/complete stuff. If they still tried hitting me with fees I'd go to another GS store.

[quote name='unc13 buck']People like you make me laugh, the card works on everything...you mean to tell me throughout the year you don't buy 3 new games that they sell used for like $55? Not to mention the buy 2 get one free coupon when you sign up. Between those two you pay for the card in a couple of visits.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, no I don't buy three new games there that they sell used for $55 per year.

The only time I usually ever get a game that's a new release is for my birthday or Christmas, and those are always gifts. Last year there was one exception where I myself bought a game on release day from GS. Fallout NV, and that was just because I happened to have a gift card, and it wasn't bought used.

I usually only ever buy one $10 or $15 game every three months or so from GS. That's why the card is such a rip-off. I'd never earn the money spent on it back before it expired.

Why not just get it for the GI subscription? Do you read that?

Also, does anybody else think the last few GIs have had especially great covers? Particularly the issue with the article about the thirty most influential game characters.

[quote name='ErezYehuda']Why not just get it for the GI subscription? Do you read that?

Also, does anybody else think the last few GIs have had especially great covers? Particularly the issue with the article about the thirty most influential game characters.[/QUOTE]

This. I personally find GI to be fairly enjoyable. Not everyone's cup of tea, but whatever. The covers are awesome!

[quote name='Mr Dude65']This. I personally find GI to be fairly enjoyable. Not everyone's cup of tea, but whatever. The covers are awesome![/QUOTE]

Nah, no interest at all in the magazine. If there's something I need to know about a game I just look it up on the net. Simpler and no mag cluttering up the garbage can ;)

[quote name='ErezYehuda']Why not just get it for the GI subscription? Do you read that?

Also, does anybody else think the last few GIs have had especially great covers? Particularly the issue with the article about the thirty most influential game characters.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I thought that cover in particular (I got the one that's the far left one) was pretty bad.

However, since Tanga.com has GI up for $4-5 a year about once a month, there's no reason to get the card "for the magazine."

It amazes me how the clerks at GameStop are always blown away by the fact that I can have a GI subscription without having their Edge/PUR Pro card.

[quote name='Altanis']Actually, I thought that cover in particular (I got the one that's the far left one) was pretty bad.

However, since Tanga.com has GI up for $4-5 a year about once a month, there's no reason to get the card "for the magazine."

It amazes me how the clerks at GameStop are always blown away by the fact that I can have a GI subscription without having their Edge/PUR Pro card.[/QUOTE]

The left one on page 8? Yeah, that looks kinda meh. I have the one in the middle, though I don't know if you'd like that any better.

But anyway, I didn't know about the Tanga offer. I'll definitely check that out when my subscription is about to end, so thanks for telling me!

I couldn't begin to tell you what page it was on. I just know I got what according to their $10 poster was the far left part. If it helps, it's the one that's all brown (or bronze, or whatever the hell you wanna call it). I thought it was pretty bad.

And it really is the easiest way. While yeah, GI sucks, I'm a sucker for a magazine subscription that costs $5 a year or less. I think I paid $4 for a year. I haven't seen it on Tanga though in a couple months, so hopefully it will come around again soon for everyone.

bread's done
Back