Discrimination in Apartment Renting

TurkeyOnRye

CAGiversary!
Feedback
214 (100%)
So here's the deal...

Jenn and I moved back to KY recently to be closer to our family and friends. We were kinda wasting our lives away in IN because we didn't have any true friends and we'd come home from work, and sit around and do nothing. We decided to make the jump back home when she got the opportunity to go out to Seattle for a few months and make some bank managing a Halloween store, and I would go back to KY and get a job (which I did, with the same pay no less) and find an apartment.

We were hoping to find a decent two bedroom apartment or house for $500 or less (which is what were we paying for a three story house in IN) and I happened upon a classified ad for such an apartment. I scoped out the address listed and it turned out the apartments were in a gorgeous location. I proceeded to call and find out the huge apartments were only $385 a month with a $250 deposit. I thought this was an unbelievable find and that it must have been a blessing.

The old man then proceeded to ask "How many in your family?"

"Just my fiance and I" I replied. We're not really engaged, but we've lived together for close to 3 years now. Plus "fiance" sounds so much better that "girlfriend." Besides, whose business is it but ours?

"I don't rent to a male and female who are unmarried..."

"Oh, I understand," I mumbled back. Being a Christian, I can understand certain "old school" beliefs and I can respect them (hence the two bedrooms). Still... it reeked of discrimination. And honestly I would have appreciated his honesty... if he had been honest.

"I rented to some unmarried couples and they broke up and fought over the rent and it was a big mess, so I don't do that anymore." That where I drew the line. I didn't say anything but that is such a full load of crap. There's no difference in an unmarried couple breaking up and fighting over the rent and a married couple breaking up and getting divorced and fighting over the rent. I was even going to fight it. I don't want a nazi hoarding over us regarding our private life and that's exactly what this guy as a landlord would be. As a Christian I never never forced my values and beliefs on someone else. I pretty much despise people who try.

"If you want togo ahead and get married, I'll show you the apartment."

"No deal. Weddings not until next November. Thanks for the information." And I hung up on him...

So what does everyone think? Should I be pissed off? I kinda am. I'd love to report this guy somewhere if I could. Or am I just getting riled up for nothing?

It is his apartment to rent out to whoever he pleases.

You definitely have reason to be pissed but he has every right to choose who he wants to deal with in his apartment.

It sounds like you are better off not living there if he would be wanting to know every part of your life anyways. You dodged a bullet, now just find a better place to live.

[quote name='musha666']It is his apartment to rent out to whoever he pleases.

You definitely have reason to be pissed but he has every right to choose who he wants to deal with in his apartment.

It sounds like you are better off not living there if he would be wanting to know every part of your life anyways. You dodged a bullet, now just find a better place to live.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's not even remotely true. Does he also have the right to not rent to Mexicans? Gays?

I agree that you're better off not living there in the end, though.

[quote name='trq']I'm pretty sure that's not even remotely true. Does he also have the right to not rent to Mexicans? Gays?

I agree that you're better off not living there in the end, though.[/quote]
Do you have the right to not let a Mexican or a Gay stay in your house if you dont want him to? I've got a Gay Mexican friend looking for a place to stay in NYC actually... PM me your address, he'll be over shortly. He likes to smoke weed everyday and fuck random guys in your living room at 2am.

Call him back and pretend to be someone else and pretend to be married.

Thats bullshit he won't rent to you because you aren't married.

Doesn't sound like it has much to do with his religous beliefs.

it would suck to be a renter caught in the middle of some dumb kids' break up like that and it sounds like he has been there.

I don't think there is anything you can do, unless you're like a minority or disable. Otherwise I would call up some number, i always hear it on the radio and stuff, talking about apartment rental discrimination. That sucks, good luck finding a place to live.

No, unmarried couples are not a protected class by discrimination laws (unless it is covered by a local city ordinance). Family status means that you can't be denied housing because of having kids or the size of your family (unless the fire code comes into play). And being "unmarried" means by definition that they aren't a "family" yet.

[quote name='soonersfan60']No, unmarried couples are not a protected class by discrimination laws (unless it is covered by a local city ordinance). Family status means that you can't be denied housing because of having kids or the size of your family (unless the fire code comes into play). And being "unmarried" means by definition that they aren't a "family" yet.[/QUOTE]It could fall under religion, though.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Do you have the right to not let a Mexican or a Gay stay in your house if you dont want him to? I've got a Gay Mexican friend looking for a place to stay in NYC actually... PM me your address, he'll be over shortly. He likes to smoke weed everyday and fuck random guys in your living room at 2am.[/quote]

There is actually a CAG on here who has encountered one and posted about him.

Bottom line the guy is a dumb ass for flat out telling you he's not going to rent the place to you because you aren't married. Not very savvy.

Sounds like you could make a fair housing complaint if you wanted to and see what they think.

[quote name='wubb']Bottom line the guy is a dumb ass for flat out telling you he's not going to rent the place to you because you aren't married. Not very savvy.

Sounds like you could make a fair housing complaint if you wanted to and see what they think.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I would, if for nothing else than to stick it to him. Even if there's no punishment involved it will be a waste of his time.

[quote name='jmcc']Yeah, I would, if for nothing else than to stick it to him. Even if there's no punishment involved it will be a waste of his time.[/QUOTE]

Or you could just move on with your life and not waste your time.

Plus, the whole story starts with, I lied to this guy about my girlfriend being my fiance, and then....................

[quote name='gregthomas77']Or you could just move on with your life and not waste your time.

Plus, the whole story starts with, I lied to this guy about my girlfriend being my fiance, and then....................[/QUOTE]Yeah, they should instead bake the guy a cake.

Why would you want to live there? And even if you did, and you tried to do something with your local housing authority, do you have proof? Because he'll say, "I never said that." And no, this is not discrimination as defined by the law.

Move on, this is not the only dwelling.

[quote name='jmcc']Yeah, they should instead bake the guy a cake.[/QUOTE]

And poison it, if for no other reason than to stick it to him, right?

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Do you have the right to not let a Mexican or a Gay stay in your house if you dont want him to? I've got a Gay Mexican friend looking for a place to stay in NYC actually... PM me your address, he'll be over shortly. He likes to smoke weed everyday and fuck random guys in your living room at 2am.[/QUOTE]

So? It'd be like moving back home for me. *ahem*

TurkeyOnRye the guy wa not being one bit discrimitory towards you. All he wanted was people who was married to live in his apartment housing. Personally you was wrong and he was right. Just get married and call back the guy about the place. Also I suggest looking at the place first before passing judgement.

I suggest buying a really cheap house and refinance the house.

Most of the times the man buys the apartment and then gets married. If you are married then you and her would be tied to an agreement. Then landlord is just affraid that it might be you and a strangler on the side.

Also being married has nothing to do with Religion. Being Cristian has nothing to do with Marriage at least not in this country. Marriage today is just a bussiness agreement between two people.

[quote name='TheOneGod']TurkeyOnRye the guy wa not being one bit discrimitory towards you. All he wanted was people who was married to live in his apartment housing. Personally you was wrong and he was right. Just get married and call back the guy about the place. Also I suggest looking at the place first before passing judgement.

Most of the times the man buys the apartment and then gets married. If you are married then you and her would be tied to an agreement. Then landlord is just affraid that it might be you and a strangler on the side.

Also being married has nothing to do with Religion. Being Cristian has nothing to do with Marriage at least not in this country. Marriage today is just a bussiness agreement between two people.[/quote]

:whistle2:s

[quote name='TheOneGod']TurkeyOnRye the guy wa not being one bit discrimitory towards you. All he wanted was people who was married to live in his apartment housing. Personally you was wrong and he was right. Just get married and call back the guy about the place. Also I suggest looking at the place first before passing judgement.

Also being married has nothing to do with Religion. Being Cristian has nothing to do with Marriage at least not in this country. Marriage today is just a bussiness agreement between two people.[/QUOTE]It's so easy!

why file a housing complaint...to use the law to get him to let you move in? if that's the case, it's a horrible idea. the guy would try to screw you in every way possible. it would be a mess.

[quote name='TheOneGod']

Also being married has nothing to do with Religion. Being Cristian has nothing to do with Marriage at least not in this country. Marriage today is just a bussiness agreement between two people.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

tell that to the people fighting for gay marriage laws :roll:

[quote name='TheOneGod']
Also being married has nothing to do with Religion. Being Cristian has nothing to do with Marriage at least not in this country. Marriage today is just a bussiness agreement between two people.[/QUOTE]

LMFAO. You haven't been around the last few years in this country, have you?

While it might be against state or local laws to have non-family members living in the same homestead, that's blatant discrimination. File a complaint, just so that other prospective renters can be aware if they decide to rent from him. If he has a license to rent these apartments (meaning it's not a basement apartment in his house), he has to follow rules.

http://housing.org/pdf_docs/Marital Status Discrimination.pdf

It may not apply to your state, but it's there.

[quote name='Apossum']why file a housing complaint...to use the law to get him to let you move in? if that's the case, it's a horrible idea. the guy would try to screw you in every way possible. it would be a mess.[/QUOTE]

Even in the pooper?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Even in the pooper?[/QUOTE]

even in the pooper.

[quote name='Apossum']why file a housing complaint...to use the law to get him to let you move in? if that's the case, it's a horrible idea. the guy would try to screw you in every way possible. it would be a mess.[/QUOTE]

No, just to be an asshole to the guy. It's all about being an asshole.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']No, just to be an asshole to the guy. It's all about being an asshole.[/QUOTE]If someone's in the wrong, you don't give them a pass. I guarantee Gandhi would have filed a housing complaint. It's essential passive resistance.

[quote name='jmcc']If someone's in the wrong, you don't give them a pass. I guarantee Gandhi would have filed a housing complaint. It's essential passive resistance.[/QUOTE]

QFT!!

[quote name='jmcc']If someone's in the wrong, you don't give them a pass. I guarantee Gandhi would have filed a housing complaint. It's essential passive resistance.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I was just thinking that "Yeah, I would, if for nothing else than to stick it to him. Even if there's no punishment involved it will be a waste of his time" sounds exactly like something Gandhi would say.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Yeah, I was just thinking that "Yeah, I would, if for nothing else than to stick it to him. Even if there's no punishment involved it will be a waste of his time" sounds exactly like something Gandhi would say.[/QUOTE]

33896denr_w.jpg

[quote name='gregthomas77']Yeah, I was just thinking that "Yeah, I would, if for nothing else than to stick it to him. Even if there's no punishment involved it will be a waste of his time" sounds exactly like something Gandhi would say.[/quote]

No wonder Gandhi never got anything important in life done. Always caught up in petty arguments.

What a loser. :D

[quote name='wubb']Bottom line the guy is a dumb ass for flat out telling you he's not going to rent the place to you because you aren't married. Not very savvy.

Sounds like you could make a fair housing complaint if you wanted to and see what they think.[/QUOTE]

Bingo bebe. Most audit studies (where silly-ass "investigative reporters," researchers, or HUD sends two people with completely identical characteristics except for one - race/gender/religion/etc - to apply for housing, and repeated differential treatment is considered evidence of discrimination) are damned good at finding discriminatory treatment that landlords try to hide.

OP, welcome back to KY (you anywhere near the northern part? I'll go drinkin' with you tonight), but would you have even thought twice if this was the conversation?

You: I'm calling about the apartment for rent in the paper. My girlfriend and I are interested in it.
Landlord: Oh, I'm terribly sorry, but I just showed it to someone who's coming back tomorrow to sign a lease on it. I wish I could have got to you in time; best of luck in searching for a place

That's the kind of discrimination a lot of people face. As a single person, they have no idea that the landlord just told them to fuck off and take their minority/sinner/gender selves outta here; when you examine the frequency of this on the large scale, and see that the same people are finding out that apartments are spontaneously unavailable (hint: it ain't white folks), then you have no choice but to assume landlords are acting fucked up.

The worst part about it is that the punishments and fines for residential discrimination are fucking pitiful, they're hard to find (the resources for discovering discrimination aren't in our federal budget), and infrequently levied.

Sorry about your luck. I hope you find the sinner part of town; you'll be closer to the record store anyway.

Does that part of KY have laws about unmarried people staying in the same apartment? I know when my wife and I stayed in NC, they did. Luckily, our apartment complex didn't give a damn because was always paid in full and on time.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Yeah, I was just thinking that "Yeah, I would, if for nothing else than to stick it to him. Even if there's no punishment involved it will be a waste of his time" sounds exactly like something Gandhi would say.[/QUOTE]Wrong. Gandhi was more a "let evil triumph through inaction" guy.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']No, just to be an asshole to the guy. It's all about being an asshole.[/QUOTE]

as a beta male, I wholly object to this. :p

[quote name='jmcc']If someone's in the wrong, you don't give them a pass. I guarantee Gandhi would have filed a housing complaint. It's essential passive resistance.[/quote]

I guess there are some things I don't resist...usually because I don't have all the facts/don't care to dig for them. It would suck to make a big passionate stink, then have my ass handed back to me in a paper bag, if I were wrong.

for one thing, it doesn't sound like the OP tried very hard. On top of that, he lied about being engaged and just assumed he got denied because the renter *might be* religious.

Maybe the guy really did have a bad experience with a dumb young couple who screwed him out of a couple months rent. That's not too far fetched of an idea.

finally, if Gandhi was half-way reasonable and not hung up on technicalities, he would've got the facts in, tried to plead his case, then when some normal human interaction fails, he'd file a report. ;)

[quote name='Apossum']as a beta male, I wholly object to this. :p

I guess there are some things I don't resist...usually because I don't have all the facts/don't care to dig for them. I would to make a big stink, then have my ass handed back to me in a paper bag.

for one thing, it doesn't sound like the OP tried very hard. On top of that, he lied about being engaged and just assumed he got denied because the renter *might be* religious.

Maybe the guy really did have a bad experience with a dumb young couple who screwed him out of a couple months rent. That's not too far fetched of an idea.

finally, if Gandhi was half-way reasonable and not hung up on technicalities, he would've got the facts in, tried to plead his case, then when some normal human interaction fails, he'd file a report. ;)[/QUOTE]The point is, Gandhi wouldn't be a big pussy about it. He'd try to get results, like the movie character based on him, Dirty Harry.

[quote name='jmcc']The point is, Gandhi wouldn't be a big pussy about it. He'd try to get results, like the movie character based on him, Dirty Harry.[/QUOTE]

Ok, that was funny.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Evil huh? A bit melodramatic are we?[/QUOTE]Discrimination is cool with you?

[quote name='jmcc']The point is, Gandhi wouldn't be a big pussy about it. He'd try to get results, like the movie character based on him, Dirty Harry.[/QUOTE]

:cool:

Discrimination is cool with you?

c'mon now. I know it's the internet and all we have are the bare bones facts, but it's way too early to hit the "discrimination" alarm.

[quote name='jmcc']Discrimination is cool with you?[/QUOTE]

No.

http://www.unmarried.org/newsletters/McDonough.php

The important part:

"Despite the expansion of protected statuses under the FFHA's 1988 updates, there is currently no federal protection against housing discrimination based on marital status. While many states have added such protections to their human rights and/or housing codes, thousands of municipalities nationwide presently have total discretion regarding housing discrimination based on marital status."

Here is Kentucky:

http://www.state.ky.us/agencies2/kchr/KCHR_Housing.html

[quote name='Apossum']c'mon now. I know it's the internet and all we have are the bare bones facts, but it's way too early to hit the "discrimination" alarm.[/QUOTE]It's not discrimination? Why not?

[quote name='depascal22']Does that part of KY have laws about unmarried people staying in the same apartment? I know when my wife and I stayed in NC, they did. Luckily, our apartment complex didn't give a damn because was always paid in full and on time.[/QUOTE]

What part of NC?

Most are, 'You cannot have more than three unrelated persons living under one roof.'

bread's done
Back