Discussions on Remakes or Porting

xycury

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Just been noticing after trying to catch up on the Sony bandwagon (didn't get a ps2 till early this year)....

Seems like alot of games are being remade for other systems:

• Nintendo is doing it's new Play Control series...
  • Sony has the GoW series for the PS3 now. PSP is getting alot of remakes from the PS2 lineup.
Of course this is slighty different with VC and PSN games.

To me it, it seems it's more of the publisher if they want to remake it right? Do they get any incentive from the consoler for doing so? Plenty of companies like Atlus, NIS and XSeed seem like the ones would love to just remake it for a particular console jump.

I find it annoying to know that there is one for two systems and they are different. Which one to get and why. It seems that the umd drive could die faster than a ps2 drive would, so should I grab the older version or be tempted to grab the newer one?

Of course this would all change with Direct Downloading, one copy to rule them all.

Does anyone share an annoyance at these?

It's a combination of publisher and developer. If a publisher doesn't own the rights to a particular property, they don't have the right to re-make it. In that situation, they could always talk about remaking it with the developer. This sort of situation comes up when the developer in question is not owned by the publisher. With the publishing giants of today, it is much more rare.

I don't really find it as so much of an annoyance. But I am very keen on preserving the experience for future genarations. In this sense having additional releases of a title is a good thing. It means that much more of a chance that it will survive into the future. Resident Evil 4 is a good game. It was originally for the GameCube, and was eventually re-released on the PS2 and Wii. If it had only ever been for the GameCube, a lot fewer people would have played it, and it would have been a lot more rare to find copies of it a few years down the line. But thanks to re-making, younger gamers of tomorrow will have plenty of opportunities to enjoy this classic. (not to mention additional opportunities for collectors)

Although I enjoy having rare games in my collection, I also recognize that the experience is what really counts to most people. So I never rejoice when a game is hard to come by. If publishers or developers think its financially viable to relese their games again, more power to them. I bought the re-release of Chrono Trigger for my DS recently. If ever there was a game that needed a modern re-release, it is that one. Now young-uns can enjoy this timeless classic again on a hardware platform that suits it well.

i dont mind remakes if they put in the extra effort instead of just repacking the sos. like the re1 remake they did for gamecube that was and is still one of the best remakes ive ever seen and i wish they could have done the same for re2 and re3 or even gone a step further and redone re2 and re3 with the re4 engine and graphics.

yeah theres those who are whining about the gow 1 and 2 thing coming out for ps3 but the thing is if you dont want it dont buy it. i want it because its going to be on one disk and runnning at 60 fps and prettier and this is coming from someone who owns both ps2 games and has a bc ps3 and for those who are new to sony gaming and got a ps3 slim its a good way to play classic awesome games.

one of my major hates when it comes to bring back classic or lat gen games is when they give you gimped collections of games. like those namco or neo geo collections and even the nes ones i believe were on their portable systems. you could easily fit alot of games on a disk or pak but they always choose to give you like 5 or 8 games at the most all so they can keep coming out with more and more series of the same collections. thats shit. i get it its business and they want to make mney but i wont buy them because of it. if theyd make one disk with all the neo geo fighters on it with online play that would be cool.

[quote name='xycury']

I find it annoying to know that there is one for two systems and they are different. Which one to get and why. It seems that the umd drive could die faster than a ps2 drive would, so should I grab the older version or be tempted to grab the newer one?

[/QUOTE]

I'm finding your post a little confusing and hard to determine what you are trying to say here. Are you talking about getting a PSP versus a PS2? And were does your suspicion that a UMD drive would last longer than a PS2 drive?

bread's done
Back