Disgaea, Atelier Iris, Nocturne, DDS, Riviera, Makai Kingdom all getting reprints!

[quote name='b3b0p']I'll admit, I read your last post pretty fast. However I fail to see how slacker has offended you. Maybe I am reading all the wrong posts because I don't see how his post is inflammatory like you say.[/QUOTE]

When I say that it was inflammatory I was speaking mostly about his "laundry list" post on page 6 where he lists all the problems that he sees with this thread. The overall tone of the post is very condescending.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']When I say that it was inflammatory I was speaking mostly about his "laundry list" post on page 6 where he lists all the problems that he sees with this thread. The overall tone of the post is very condescending.[/QUOTE]

Yeah he's been like that recently, perhaps his new job isn't all he hoped for?

[quote name='rarebucky']I'd be willing to bet the first print of Nocturne will still be worth money, as it's likely the reprints will not include the soundtrack that came with the first print. Then that first print would truly be a "limited edition" as it stated on the back :)[/QUOTE]

You can still order the soundtrack for $2.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Yeah he's been like that recently, perhaps his new job isn't all he hoped for?[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's pretty damn cool. The good days make up for the boring days.

To everyone else:
Look, this wasn't me blindsiding a bunch of people that were minding their own business. This thread is full of false statements, groundless speculation, ignorant people and just people that don't know what the fuck they are talking about. You can say anything you want about HOW I say things, but you really can't say anything about the warrants for my arguments. I don't sugarcoat things. Sorry.

For example, let's take the user with the splendid Disgaea avatar. I think this is a wonderful game and well worthy of an avatar and a devoted following. But the first post I noticed is "I have 5 copies of this game". Well, that's great. I have a ton of copies of Shadow Hearts, so i understand. When someone questions it, he says "Like Eco said...Its my favorite game and I enjoy collecting them.". Cool, that's how I am with Shadow Hearts.

Then, we get this: "Hmmm...I wish someone would confirm the Disgaea reprint and how many if they are....

I have 5 copies and I dont want to get stuck with them if they drop in value alot"

Umm, what? So I guess the game is only enjoyable to collect when it's worth $70 a pop? It's only his favorite when there's a market shortage? Listen, I don't care whether you are a collector or a reseller, whatever floats the boat, but don't fucking try and mince words and straddle the fence. And don't expect me to make a polite post and explain the economics of supply and demand so he can maximize profit when I see that.

But here's my non-asshole piece of advice. DONT SELL. 1) THERE WILL BE A FLOOD ON EBAY. 2) Look at the list of stores getting new copies - Hollywood, Fry's Gamecrazy, Gameland...does that SOUND like a ton of copies are getting distributed?

I'd say that I'd cut down on the laundry lists, but there's some douches in the Rhapsody thread.

Dave

Well, at least I should be able to pick up DDS2, AI, and MK without much problem if TRU does a B2G1 sale in the next couple months like they usually do.

I went to the closest GameCrazy and the guy behind the counter thought I was nuts. He did mention that I could `special order' a game for only a $6 shipping fee.

Maybe he forgot to check his recent e-mails. I just pre-ordered it yesterday. The pre-order isn't in their printed out list of games coming out, but the guy let me pre-order anyway. Let's hope it works out *crosses fingers*

OK, I have a question. Wouldn't the reprinted games have a different copyright date on the back or have some other way from the originals, thereby differentiating them from the original copies? Or are they carbon-copy duplicates? I would think that either way, replicating something valuable would cause the originals to be even more valuable in the eyes of a collector, unless you can't tell the difference between them. I kinda agree with MightySlacker...if you're collecting games for the love of the game, that's fine. But if you're in it for the money, buy one copy to play and invest your money elsewhere. That way, those of us that didn't have any money when SMT: Nocturne came out might still be able to find a copy. :)

I don't think they're carbon copies of the original. I originally had Disgaea special ordered from Game Crazy, but when I found out they were reprinting, I asked the employee there if the special order would get me one of the reprints and he said no, the special order would still look for the original, so I guess they have some way of differentiating the original from the reprints?

Umm, what? So I guess the game is only enjoyable to collect when it's worth $70 a pop? It's only his favorite when there's a market shortage? Listen, I don't care whether you are a collector or a reseller, whatever floats the boat, but don't fucking try and mince words and straddle the fence. And don't expect me to make a polite post and explain the economics of supply and demand so he can maximize profit when I see that.

Many collectors collect valuable things only. I'd personally rather collect something that has high value even though I like it less than something that has low value. Example, I love Mario Sunshine tremendously more than Disgaea, but would I think of keeping a second sealed copy on Sunshine? Probably not because it's extremely common.

What's the point of keeping a game just because it's "valuable"? If in 10 years it goes up from $50 to $100, that's hardly much of a gain based on the time spent buying and selling it, inflation, and the returns you would have had on say a CD.

What's the point of keeping a game just because it's "valuable"? If in 10 years it goes up from $50 to $100, that's hardly much of a gain based on the time spent buying and selling it, inflation, and the returns you would have had on say a CD.

What's the point of anyone collecting anything?

I don't think the point is to make money, but value is important. The 'high value' of a collected item is not insignificant. That's the only point I am trying to make.

Everyone is different though, and I can certainly see your side of it :)

I thought CAG was supposed to support the PLAYING of games, not the hoarding of them, especially in light of the CC clearance sales. Yeesh, some of you guys are depraved little people. As if you're really going to make any discernable profit on 7 copies of the same game.

I'll keep an eye open for Nocturne, Disgaea, and DDS, but only because I haven't played them yet, and I'm interested in owning a personal copy.

[quote name='RandomNPC']I emailed Atlus today asking about the reprints and heres their response:

"Yes, a new shipment of Disgaea will be shipping on 8/31. Fry's
Electronics, Hollywood Video, GameCrazy, Gameland, and EB Canada will
be
the big stores that carry the game. We will also have some available
directly from us. Expect the game to arrive in stores a few days after
the 31st for delivery/stocking.

In addition, new shipments of Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, and Stella
Deus are scheduled to ship on 8/24.

ATLUS USA
Customer Service"

I guess Ill be selling my Disgaea. Look for it in the Auctions forum.[/QUOTE]
What's the word..? All of a sudden, I want Nocturne. I can't decide if I should buy it used for $39.99 at my local gamestop or brand new.

[quote name='Terabyte7']OK, I have a question. Wouldn't the reprinted games have a different copyright date on the back or have some other way from the originals, thereby differentiating them from the original copies? Or are they carbon-copy duplicates? I would think that either way, replicating something valuable would cause the originals to be even more valuable in the eyes of a collector, unless you can't tell the difference between them. I kinda agree with MightySlacker...if you're collecting games for the love of the game, that's fine. But if you're in it for the money, buy one copy to play and invest your money elsewhere. That way, those of us that didn't have any money when SMT: Nocturne came out might still be able to find a copy. :)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there will be an easy way to tell them apart. But it doesn't change the fact that a reprint often tanks the value of all copies. Weren't copies of Final Fantasy Tactics worth a lot before the GH reprint? Now the original print goes for under $20 on eBay all the time.

If I had any of those in my collection I'd be looking to sell them soon.

Nocturne was shipped to stores earlier this week or last week, I believe. It shows up as "In stores now!" on the Atlus site again, and I've noticed GameQuest has it in stock now too.

[quote name='chaarlieee']What's the word..? All of a sudden, I want Nocturne. I can't decide if I should buy it used for $39.99 at my local gamestop or brand new.[/QUOTE]

You can grab a new copy of Nocturne at TRU for $24.99 (if you are lucky). It's part of the TRU 50% off sale.

[quote name='Kain Vincent']You can grab a new copy of Nocturne at TRU for $24.99 (if you are lucky). It's part of the TRU 50% off sale.[/QUOTE]
I checked the second day of the sale. There was nothing left of anything on the shelves. I might just buy the used copy at my local gamestop and save $10 and tax if it's in good to excellent condition. It's been sitting there for over 3 months, unbelievably.

Well, I just went to Fry's in Fishers, IN, and bought Disgaea. It was $49.99 and was missing the Sony seal on the top. There was one other copy available, which I didn't buy. It has definitely been reprinted, due to the fact I look for it every time I go in there (about 4x a month) and now all of a sudden it miraculously appears.

I am pretty giddy about it right now. Reason being, I have been looking for it for a long time and it was the last of the N1 SRpgs I needed. Hell, I almost considered road-tripping to Louisville a few weeks back just to get it. Then I heard a rumor that turned out to not be rumor about a potential reprint on this thread. Thanks, OP.

I saw a new Nocturne at a Gamestop that definitely didn't have it before, guess it's happened.

I WAS going to look for a new copy, but I picked up the used one that was sitting at my local gamestop for over three months.. it was in great condition, but was missing the soundtrack. That's OK though because I can just buy it from atlus's web site for $2 (thanks for the info Rockman and greydemise).

Saved around $12.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Good to hear the new ones are out, I hope a few hoarders get hit hard by this.[/QUOTE]

the prices on ebay were down a lot last week. I only got $54 for a sealed nocturne.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Bad hoarder!

I got $68.:p[/QUOTE]

that's what I got a week before! but then suddenly, everyone and their brother had a nocturne on ebay. "Sell! Sell! Sell!"

are you fucking kidding? i just bought nocturne and dds used for $43 and $45 off of here a couple days ago which is the first time i spent so much money on a single game. so i'm hoping this reprint is a joke cause it'd make me better that i didn't waste money and get shafted this once. but seriously what horrible luck i have

edit: wow i'm slow. this thread has been up for weeks.

[quote name='fmarxnge']are you fucking kidding? i just bought nocturne and dds used for $43 and $45 off of here a couple days ago which is the first time i spent so much money on a single game. so i'm hoping this reprint is a joke cause it'd make me better that i didn't waste money and get shafted this once. but seriously what horrible luck i have[/QUOTE]

Well the reprints probably would have cost you $50 and I doubt the price will drop significantly soon.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Well the reprints probably would have cost you $50 and I doubt the price will drop significantly soon.[/QUOTE]

well i guess you're right but i wasn't even in a real hurry to play the game. i saw a deal here so i said "what the heck, this game aint gonna be much cheaper..might as well get it now than be sorry later for missing out on this"

[quote name='fmarxnge']well i guess you're right but i wasn't even in a real hurry to play the game. i saw a deal here so i said "what the heck, this game aint gonna be much cheaper..might as well get it now than be sorry later for missing out on this"[/QUOTE]
If you got the game in good to excellent condition, then you got a great deal and saved some money.

Bah, the reprinted DDS is coming with the box set, isn't it? Box sets should be limited edition. :p

Wait, does this mean even Atlus games will now have price drops? If that's the case, I may not buy them on release anymore, and simply wait for the price drops...

I'm thinking this reprint is getting blown way out of proportion. I'd be willing to bet that given a few months these games are going to be just about as scarce as they are now. Hell, this is technically Disgaea's 3rd printing and it was still difficult to come by a few months after its 2nd printing.

[quote name='Sirmackerel']Bah, the reprinted DDS is coming with the box set, isn't it? Box sets should be limited edition. :p

Wait, does this mean even Atlus games will now have price drops? If that's the case, I may not buy them on release anymore, and simply wait for the price drops...[/QUOTE]

Oh, porbrecito, did we want to have the only copy of DDS LE?

Rhapsody and Persona 2 were $50 three weeks back, so I expect to see all of these at full price.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm thinking this reprint is getting blown way out of proportion. I'd be willing to bet that given a few months these games are going to be just about as scarce as they are now. Hell, this is technically Disgaea's 3rd printing and it was still difficult to come by a few months after its 2nd printing.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, no doubt. I think in a few months you'll see the auction prices a little higher like they used to be. Get your copies while you can. All the ebayers are.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm thinking this reprint is getting blown way out of proportion. I'd be willing to bet that given a few months these games are going to be just about as scarce as they are now. Hell, this is technically Disgaea's 3rd printing and it was still difficult to come by a few months after its 2nd printing.[/QUOTE]

i love how people think their games wont drop when their is a reprint but Screaming Persona 2 and that musical adventure game will be worth 20 bucks cause it got reprinted. I have yet to find a place to sell Disgaea at a worthwhile price

So are people going to be checking the shelves of those stores that were listed as getting shipments of these titles?

I didn't see it posted anywhere else on the board, so:

For those hard up for a copy of it, the Atlus store is showing they have copies of SMT: Nocturne available. Yeah, it's $54, but the page says they're "factory-condition". My only dealing with them has been a few questions via e-mail, but it seems as though CAGers who have dealt with them came out with a very positive experience.

http://www.atlus.com/store.html

bread's done
Back