Disgaea DS, Dood! - OUT NOW for all your exploding penguin needs

[quote name='DQT']I'm very interested. This could be the best tactical rpg on the ds.[/QUOTE]

biggest time waster for sure.
Any other game lets you save immediately, but this one demands you to finish the field first

I've got to say, I'm really changing my tune on this one. I'm almost definitely going to pick it up when it hits, especially since even if they do have to cut back on voice work, all the gameplay is intact.

I hope they don't have to sacrifice the Japanese voice work. In that case, I'd rather they take it out entirely. I've never heard Disgaea in English, and I'd prefer not to at this point. It'll probably be a deal breaker for me if they take out the Japanese, but leave the English.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']biggest time waster for sure.
Any other game lets you save immediately, but this one demands you to finish the field first[/quote]

Really? That is a big no-no in a portable RPG. Not that it'll really bother me personally, but still...

[quote name='daschrier']Only if the voice work is included I will buy it. The voice work is what gives the game its charm.[/quote]

I still randomly yell out "BLLUUUUUUUEEEEE!!!! YELLLLOWWWWWW!!!" over at a friends. Definitely some great VO moments in the game.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I hope they don't have to sacrifice the Japanese voice work. In that case, I'd rather they take it out entirely. I've never heard Disgaea in English, and I'd prefer not to at this point. It'll probably be a deal breaker for me if they take out the Japanese, but leave the English.[/QUOTE]

personally i prefer the english voice actor.

I guess this means I'm not a purist or something, but I feel like the English voice acting is a huge part of what made this game so appealing to me.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I hope they don't have to sacrifice the Japanese voice work. In that case, I'd rather they take it out entirely. I've never heard Disgaea in English, and I'd prefer not to at this point. It'll probably be a deal breaker for me if they take out the Japanese, but leave the English.[/quote]

Theres almost no chance it will have Japanese vo. I usually play games with Japanese voice if available, but Disgaea was one of the few games where I actually liked the english voices.

Apparently this game is coming out the same day as Rhapsody DS. I know NIS America is new, but what other publisher in their right mind would do this? It doesn't matter to me since I never buy on release day, but they really should use common sense.

They aren't new, really. They've been around 4-5 years now.

I don't think releasing 2 DS games the same day is that much of a problem. I'm sure most people who are NIS fans will pick them up. They aren't Square so they won't be priced at $40.

DS Fanboy has posted a couple of gameplay trailers: http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/07/30/get-a-glimpse-of-disgaea-ds/

The music has definitely taken a hit in quality and sounds like it may have been rerecorded altogether (the piece featured in the videos is "Running Fire" if you have the soundtrack handy and want to do a comparison). The voices sound the same. Also, the top screen overhead map works very much in tandem with the bottom screen, which is nice; I had my doubts about how the top screen was being used, but it looks like it could be a handy feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
The hands on impressions from importers was that it was HORRIBLE.

I would wait for domestic reviews before jumping in, or hands on in the case that its not heavily reviewed.

Yeah, I'm definitely waiting on reviews for this one, especially since I already have it for the PS2.

Got any links to reviews/impressions of the Japanese version?

I was particularly planning on picking this up, but if NISA is finally going to get the preorder thing right for once, I have to go for it (I want that stylus and Etna).

[quote name='fifthcore']Ordered the NISA Totally DS Touch & Play Set. Thanks OP[/QUOTE]

#$##$#$#$ you NISA lol

ordered the same thing i find this very intersteing though

DISGAEA pen is limited to 2500
Rhapsody™: Musically Delicious Set CD is limited to 800

how can they put these two games into a package if the extra item is different number they have

65 shipped

what sucks is now i have paid for Disgaea 1 4 times 2 times on the PS2... 1 time on the PSP and now on the ds

[quote name='DarthPuma']Well, if reviews don't suck I'll be picking up the package with Disgaea and Rhapsody.[/QUOTE]

i might keep the disgaea pen and dump the game ... what i heard is the game is Very very buggy and would be shocked if it does ship in sept ..

hell i havent played more then 10 hours of the PSP version but i just wanted that pin : )

at first i have no interst in the two games but i place an order due to the pre order bonus

Edit: If the DS version turns out to be a crappy port I would sell it and get the psp vesion

edit2: Looks like they offer media mail as a shipping. Which is good as i live in the same state as their office.

edit 3: the ds verison had even smaller character slot. The trade off is cameo apperance by Disgaea 2 characters.

[quote name='62t']at first i have no interst in the two games but i place an order due to the pre order bonus

Edit: If the DS version turns out to be a crappy port I would sell it and get the psp vesion

edit2: Looks like they offer media mail as a shipping. Which is good as i live in the same state as their office.

edit 3: the ds verison had even smaller character slot. The trade off is cameo apperance by Disgaea 2 characters.[/QUOTE]

i would rather pay the extra 2 bucks and get the 2 day shipping though .. never know if the post office could open up the package and send it back sayin it wasnt allowed to ship media mail

[quote name='slidecage']i would rather pay the extra 2 bucks and get the 2 day shipping though .. never know if the post office could open up the package and send it back sayin it wasnt allowed to ship media mail[/QUOTE]

then it would be NISA responsibility to resend it. Or I could just pick it up since their shipping location is like 30mins from where i live

Those preorder goodies defiantly peak my interest on buying Rhapsody and Disgaea.

Are those Disgaea Beauty of War Figurines an U.S. exclusive? Or like any other NIS merchandise, they are also available via by Japanese merchants?

[quote name='62t']then it would be NISA responsibility to resend it. Or I could just pick it up since their shipping location is like 30mins from where i live[/QUOTE]

yea but that mean longer wait times : ) hopefully they ship early and we get the game around the same time it hits the store

[quote name='fatbeer']Those preorder goodies defiantly peak my interest on buying Rhapsody and Disgaea.

Are those Disgaea Beauty of War Figurines an U.S. exclusive? Or like any other NIS merchandise, they are also available via by Japanese merchants?[/QUOTE]

okay now im worried

This item is a series of gashapon (capsule toys) or trading figures depicting characters or people. It does not require either cement or paint to complete or use.

so these things are small like something that comes out of a gumball machine

I don't know how big these particular ones are are, but gashapon/blind box figures tend to vary in size. Some can be as tall as 4-5 inches, and a lot of them require a simple bit of assembly.

[quote name='LeafPanda']Is there any other way to get the Prinny pen?[/QUOTE]

it was given out as a preorder bonus in Japan, so if you want it you better get it now

[quote name='LeafPanda']Dam, don't really trust Rosenqueen because of their security certificate fiasco[/QUOTE]

They had that problem for a while. I placed orders from them before and never had any problem.

Ordered from RosenQueen. I just can't pass up a free pen stylus.

Now to sell my PSP copy that I hardly played due to my backlog...

It's funny, the DS is going to be my main system of choice for the rest of the year. With all the RPG's hitting it. damn....oh and Castlevania too....and Kirby.

Disgaea DS is going to be made of win, I just don't know if I can find the time for it.

[quote name='ihadFG']Ordered from RosenQueen. I just can't pass up a free pen stylus.

Now to sell my PSP copy that I hardly played due to my backlog...[/QUOTE]

i wouldnt be dumping my psp copy just yet... i would rather keep the PSP copy and dump the buggy ds verison

The biggest problem with the DS version is that they cutted out most of the voice. NISA said that the US DS version will retain all the voice. The PSP version has a few bugs, like the counter bug that would freeze your game. If they can fix all the problems the DS version could be worth keeping.

Looks like there will be a new guide for Disgaea it covers the ps2, psp, and DS Disgaea games it's $14.99 on gamestop.com and says it ships on september 12 not a bad price if you don't have the guide for it yet..

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72535

Amazon also has it..
http://www.amazon.com/Disgaea-Compi...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220207135&sr=8-1

I really wished I didn't buy the guide for the psp one when I bought the game, ah well live and learn.

I got my order in for the disgaea and rhapsody I can't wait till it comes out. :bouncy:

Good review. I was initially irritated by lack of quick-save until I realize I probably wouldn't have played it as a portable anyway. I was never exposed to the VO of the PS2 so I won't miss that either. Slowdown doesn't bother me that much either.

Okay, so I absolutely love Disgaea, and I easily put 160+ hours into the PSP version. Preorder bonuses aside, is there any real reason for me to buy this again for the DS?

Hmm I'm not sure if this is a good enough reason, but Pleinair is playable Only the DS disgaea game has her and I'm not sure if there's anymore new playable characters.

[quote name='Yaxley']Okay, so I absolutely love Disgaea, and I easily put 160+ hours into the PSP version. Preorder bonuses aside, is there any real reason for me to buy this again for the DS?[/QUOTE]

prinny commentary

Har har, the Prinny commentary looks pretty neat. It seems like a decent bandaid for having to cut out alot of the voices. I think there are a few other new playable characters but not too many. Gamefaqs had a list but I forgot who was on it.

bread's done
Back