Dish vs cable vs direct tv

Bmac1775

CAGiversary!
So I currently have cable and want to get the hd service. Which one of these are the best overall service and price.

DirecTV has by far the biggest HD channel lineup. Plus, I have always gotten great service from them. The only thing that sucks about DirecTV is their PPV system, but that isn't a huge deal to me.

Well, the PPV is fine. It is just a lot more of a pain than say Time Warner cable's PPV.

You have like 100 different PPV channels, so you have to always have them on the guide, or add them everytime you want to see what is playing. Also you actually have to wait for a showtime to come around. You can't just start the movie at any time like you can with Time Warner.

If you are into MMA, avoid Time Warner. HDNet is the MMA channel and is no longer on Time Warner. Might not be a factor for you, but I'm still pissed.

MMA is the only reason I want ppv....Im leaning toward Direct tv

Got to do something before UFC 100

FYI, if you have AAA or know someone who does go to there website and get the Direct TV sign-up number from there members perks section. You will get whatever the current promos are plus an extra $10.00 off for 24 months.

[quote name='ajh2298']FYI, if you have AAA or know someone who does go to there website and get the Direct TV sign-up number from there members perks section. You will get whatever the current promos are plus an extra $10.00 off for 24 months.[/QUOTE]

thanks bro

[quote name='lmz00']You should've gone with Dish Network instead. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Damn, the only responces i got were pro Direct tv.....

BS, Dish Network is crap. You pay more for less, and far inferior service. Directv isn't perfect, but they are probably the best out there (sadly). I've been with them for over 12 years now.

Dish isn't bad, but it offers a lot less than DirecTV.

My family has had DirecTV for 11-12 years now, and their service is great. They even gave me a huge discount on the unit price when I bought an HD DVR this past December. Their HD looks phenomenal, too. MMA on HDNet and Versus (as well as Spike, obviously) is one of the only things that I can call beautiful, that involves half nude men.

[quote name='Matt Young']Dish isn't bad, but it offers a lot less than DirecTV.

MMA on HDNet and Versus (as well as Spike, obviously) is one of the only things that I can call beautiful, that involves half nude men.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think Dream on HDNet has the absolute best camera coverage in MMA. I especially enjoy seeing a face ripple in slow motion after being struck by a punch. I swear I'm not a violent person but there is some sort of perverse beauty in this.

[quote name='darthbudge']DirecTV has by far the biggest HD channel lineup. Plus, I have always gotten great service from them. The only thing that sucks about DirecTV is their PPV system, but that isn't a huge deal to me.[/QUOTE]

What sucks about the PPV system?

I'll tell you one thing that sucks- ordering by phone. Granted, it had been years, but I did have a problem in the past with ordering a PPV via their site and not receiving it. So I went to order the WWE PPV over the phone a couple weeks ago. They tried to charge me a $5 fee for phone ordering, but I got them to waive it. Supposedly, it's standard now.

[quote name='Matt Young']I'll tell you one thing that sucks- ordering by phone. Granted, it had been years, but I did have a problem in the past with ordering a PPV via their site and not receiving it. So I went to order the WWE PPV over the phone a couple weeks ago. They tried to charge me a $5 fee for phone ordering, but I got them to waive it. Supposedly, it's standard now.[/QUOTE]

I order everything through the web, it is great. Phone only happens when there's an issue.

Sorry to hear you ordered a WWE PPV. ;-)

Haha... Well, I didn't have to pay for it. A friend wanted to see the Extreme Rules show, so he paid. I was broke from replacing my TV anyway.

I never order PPVs anyway. It's hard to justify a cost of $40-50 for WWE, TNA, and UFC PPVs (lots of acronyms!) when I can watch a free stream, and buy the DVDs for $15 a pop a month later.

[quote name='Matt Young']Haha... Well, I didn't have to pay for it. A friend wanted to see the Extreme Rules show, so he paid. I was broke from replacing my TV anyway.

I never order PPVs anyway. It's hard to justify a cost of $40-50 for WWE, TNA, and UFC PPVs (lots of acronyms!) when I can watch a free stream, and buy the DVDs for $15 a pop a month later.[/QUOTE]

Boo to the free stream item, but given the frequency of WWE PPVs, they're $50 in HD, last 2:40 and are on DVD in 3 weeks. The shows are seldom "blow away."

TNA is $30

UFC at least I have friends over for. :whistle2:/ Their DVD turnaround time is a little more insane and I generally enjoy those shows.

I just don't have enough friends out here who are into MMA or wrestling that would be willing to split the cost. Plus you have to figure that's at least 3 PPV's a month, up to 5 if UFC and WWE are both running twice in one month, as they sometimes do.

I have Dish Network and love it, best HD-DVR in the market. Their selection of HD channels was on the lower end for awhile but now seems to be on par with Direct TV. Even though I am happy with them I will be switching to Direct TV when my contract is up in August just for cost reasons.

I won't be switching, but how much storage space is on Dish's HD-DVR? On mine, the latest model for DirecTV (at least as of 6 months ago) stores 50 hours of HD television, or 200 hours of standard. It gets filled up more quickly than one might think.

[quote name='Matt Young']I won't be switching, but how much storage space is on Dish's HD-DVR? On mine, the latest model for DirecTV (at least as of 6 months ago) stores 50 hours of HD television, or 200 hours of standard. It gets filled up more quickly than one might think.[/QUOTE]

The HD-DVR from Dish(711 model) gets you 100 hours of HD or 400 hours of standard.

With Direct TV's current promos and my AAA membership I will pay $52.00 for 12 months and than that will jump up to $75.00 after that for months 13-24. My same lineup on Dish is costing me $107.00 a month right now.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']What sucks about the PPV system?[/QUOTE]
Its pay per view, not on-demand like a lot of cable systems have. And their selection isn't the best compared to what I used to have on Time Warner.

[quote name='jlseal']Its pay per view, not on-demand like a lot of cable systems have. And their selection isn't the best compared to what I used to have on Time Warner.[/QUOTE]

DirecTV does have onDemand as well (most content being free).

The regular running PPV channels don't bother me, especially since I'm not buying movies, just events (MMA, etc.) With a DVR it should also be a non-issue.

On the DVR front, the DirecTV boxes can easily expand hard drive space by picking up a TB eSata drive

Well, I’m hoping it will be a good experience. In the past I had Time Warner HD service and I was not impressed at all. The damn box kept freezing up and I had to reset it all the time. The channels took forever to turn too. Half the time the channels would say unavailable. But regardless, I’m hopeful for the Direct TV

[quote name='ajh2298']The HD-DVR from Dish(711 model) gets you 100 hours of HD or 400 hours of standard.

With Direct TV's current promos and my AAA membership I will pay $52.00 for 12 months and than that will jump up to $75.00 after that for months 13-24. My same lineup on Dish is costing me $107.00 a month right now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am running the year old 623 or whatever and get 100 of HD as well, and like 200 of regular.

Dual tuners love watching HD, HDNet has some clean HD I will say that. I watch WFN all the time as well, especially with my headphones on and running on the elliptical. Its not liek you need sound for fishing shows!

My brother was an installer and the things he told me were coming down the pipe for Direct were great. Now if they ever come is another question. He also said their dish's are smaller and just a better quality than the dish stuff.. I am sure he is somewhat partial, but he did install in Cali for 2 years, 7 days a week.

[quote name='ajh2298']The HD-DVR from Dish(711 model) gets you 100 hours of HD or 400 hours of standard.

With Direct TV's current promos and my AAA membership I will pay $52.00 for 12 months and than that will jump up to $75.00 after that for months 13-24. My same lineup on Dish is costing me $107.00 a month right now.[/QUOTE]

Shit hows that? I need to look into that coming this October.

[quote name='JolietJake']I have directv, so that eSATA port can be used for expanding storage?[/QUOTE]

Dish also has an expansion port- but you have to pay for them to flip a switch in their office to allow it's use.

that said- i have Dish in 2 rooms, and I love it. My wife's family had DirecTV when she lived there and it was always going out when it would rain lightly. I watched Tornado reports with my Dish set-up.

Who knows, Snake? Maybe your brother installed my dish.

I would also like to know more about expanding the storage space on my HD-DVR.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']DirecTV does have onDemand as well (most content being free). [/QUOTE]
I had no idea. My parents are on an old package, and their boxes haven't been updated in a few years. Would cost them a fair bit more to get something new, so they don't switch.

Got it installed today. WOW, those HD channels pop. Im loving it. Watchin Ultimate fighting special right now....great stuff

took the guy 4 hours to hook it up though....but I have it

[quote name='Bmac1775']Got it installed today.took the guy 4 hours to hook it up though....but I have it[/QUOTE]

Thats about normal for a Dish/Direct TV install. My guy came and did it during a rain/ice/snow storm and had to go up on my roof. I felt bad for him and asked if he wanted to reschedule and he said he did install in worse weather than that.

bread's done
Back