Disney Blu rays, The Thread.

Why do we need a thread completely dedicated to Disney?

Disney release doesn't really go on sale as much as other blu rays release. On top of this, some releases are subject to a process known as the "Disney Vault".

What is the Disney Vault?

The "Disney Vault" is the term used by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment for its policy of putting home video releases of Walt Disney Animation Studios's animated features on moratorium and getting moved to Target. Each Disney film is available for purchase for a limited time, after which it is put "in the vault" and not made available for several years until it is released again.

The Walt Disney Company itself states that this process is done to both control their market and to allow Disney films to be fresh for new generations of young children. A side effect of the moratorium process is the fact that videos and DVDs of Disney films placed on moratorium become collectables, sold in stores and at auction websites such as eBay for sums in excess of their original suggested retail price. The practice also has made the Disney films a prime target for counterfeit DVD manufacturers. - wikia

Which movies are subjected to be a part of the Disney Vault cycle?

Currently, these are the movies for the Diamond Edition cycle. There are speculation of new titles being added due to their success(Frozeon, Tangled, Wreck-it-Ralph). Note that when the main release is put in the vault, the sequel and spin off also goes with it.

• Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
  • Pinocchio (1940)
  • Bambi (1942)
  • Cinderella (1950)
  • Peter Pan (1953)
  • Lady and the Tramp (1955)
  • Sleeping Beauty (1959)
  • One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
  • The Jungle Book (1967)
  • The Little Mermaid (1989)
  • Beauty and the Beast (1991)
  • Aladdin (1992)
  • The Lion King (1994)
Disappeared to Vault

In Vault/Still Available

Currently Available

Upcoming /Yet to be Released

Should I wait for a price drop of these Disney Vault movies?

It's recommended that you get them soon as possible if you are a collector. First printing of Disney films come with a slipcover and 3D release comes with a lenticular cover. These are usually not available in later printings(within months). Even if you aren't a collector these slips are pretty high quality and is nice to have.

​
Upcoming Blu Ray Releases
 ​
  Disney Animated Features and related films:

***Sleeping Beauty: Diamond Edition - October 7, 2014

• Storybook and CD@Target $24.99        
    Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas / Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas - November 4, 2014

***101 Dalmatians: Diamond Edition - February 3, 2015

***Aladdin: Diamond Edition - October 6, 2015 (Rumored Date)

***Pinocchio: Diamond Edition - February 2, 2016 (Rumored Date)

*** = Vault Releases

Pixar films:

N/A

Other animated films:

Kiki's Delivery Service - November 18, 2014

The Wind Rises - November 18, 2014

Princess Mononoke - November 18, 2014

Live-action films:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - September 9, 2014

• Steelbook@Bestbuy $29.99
  • Behind the Lens(Digital)@Target $22.99
  • 5 Alternate Slipcovers@Walmart $29.96
   Million Dollar Arm - October 7, 2014

Maleficent - November 4, 2014

This post will be updated as necessary. Everything above are for the US version of release. Anyway, feel free to discuss all things Disney blu rays from price drops to retail exclusives!

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK nothing has been confirmed yet but Guardians of the Galaxy is supposed to come out on December 9th.

I haven't actually seen it yet, but from the previews it looks.... childish? Not sure if that's the right word. It looks like it's a movie aimed solely at children, unlike something like Up or the Monsters movies, where it is obviously still aimed at children but clearly some focus was made in speaking to adults.

I don't know.... maybe it's all the censorship? That crap drives me crazy. Don't have somebody shoot a bird if you are just going to censor it. Likewise, don't have what's supposed to be some tough intergalactic prison guard calling people "Aholes".... it takes me out of the experience and not only makes me aware that I'm watching a movie, but that I'm watching a children's movie.

Thoughts? I'm not interested in spoilers but is the movie even worth checking out?
Imo the movie is full of adventure, crazy awsome charaters, epic adventure and great laughs ! it also opens up the cosmic side of the mcu universe even more. Amazing film !

Usually movies take 4 months to come out on disk so early december is a safe bet. Of course winter soldier took 5 months so it could be early January too

AFAIK nothing has been confirmed yet but Guardians of the Galaxy is supposed to come out on December 9th.

I haven't actually seen it yet, but from the previews it looks.... childish? Not sure if that's the right word. It looks like it's a movie aimed solely at children, unlike something like Up or the Monsters movies, where it is obviously still aimed at children but clearly some focus was made in speaking to adults.

I don't know.... maybe it's all the censorship? That crap drives me crazy. Don't have somebody shoot a bird if you are just going to censor it. Likewise, don't have what's supposed to be some tough intergalactic prison guard calling people "Aholes".... it takes me out of the experience and not only makes me aware that I'm watching a movie, but that I'm watching a children's movie.

Thoughts? I'm not interested in spoilers but is the movie even worth checking out?
It's actually a fairly dark movie when you stop to think about how every character has a horribly tragic backstory (a trademark of James Gunn movies). I mean, there is a lot of goofiness and silly stuff in it, but overall it's a very well told tale that so far is EASILY the best movie of 2014 for me.

And this is coming from probably the biggest Marvel hater you'll EVER find online, so I think that says something.

I haven't been in the Movie Club for a few months since I completed my requirements, but have they added anymore Disney Afternoon dvds to it since? I was very excited when they added the rest of Gargoyles and Talespin, but doesn't seem like anything has been put up since.

I don't know.... maybe it's all the censorship? That crap drives me crazy. Don't have somebody shoot a bird if you are just going to censor it.
Huh. Wouldn't you feel silly if you were complaining about this, and it was something they added only for the trailers...

I haven't been in the Movie Club for a few months since I completed my requirements, but have they added anymore Disney Afternoon dvds to it since? I was very excited when they added the rest of Gargoyles and Talespin, but doesn't seem like anything has been put up since.
Nope. Not a thing. :(

Huh. Wouldn't you feel silly if you were complaining about this, and it was something they added only for the trailers...
Maybe, but it was pretty obvious it wasn't for the trailers. We aren't talking about simply a blurred hand or a beeped word.

They censored the middle finger with this "Indecent gesture incoming" or something like that on the screen..... and I doubt they'd reshoot the footage just to replace "assholes" with "aholes". As far as censorship goes I guess they tried to put in a modicum of effort in being clever, but it's still very apparent that it was done to keep the rating down. I would've just rewritten the scene to avoid it altogether.

Pretty much everyone here says the movie is worth a look so I'll check it out... I'll probably buy a copy then give it a rental and pawn it off as an Xmas gift if I hate it. I'm just saying stuff like that makes it look like they are trying too hard to be "edgy" or something for the kiddies, so it's nice to get some other thoughts before wasting my time.

Last edited:
You should probably, ya know, see the movie before judging it. A couple of points though -

Things are changed from trailers to finished films all the time due to content or stuff just not fitting within the context of the movie. It makes sense that your two examples would be altered from being seen in a trailer, suitable for all audiences, to the movie which has an established PG-13 rating. One could argue that maybe you don't put those scenes in the trailer at all but the trailer was set up to establish the characters and give you general sense of what they're about, what to expect. My buddy is a HUGE Guardians fan and he said that Gunn, Disney, Marvel absolutely nailed each character. As an FYI though, the middle finger was not blurred in the film, it was a funny scene, and as far as a-holes vs assholes, the PG-13 rating only allows for a certain quantity of profanity (which is silly) and compared to other superhero movies or PG-13 movies in general, it had a good amount which all fit within the character and context of the film, it wasn't forced. So either it was kept because they reached the arbitrary MPAA limit or it was kept because it fit within the film. Honestly I don't have sensitive ears or necessarily watch my language but I say and hear people say a-holes as much as people say assholes. Its just slang, abbreviation, another way saying the same thing. So its a little silly to get hung up on those things. Which reminds me - I have kids who watch the Disney channels and before the release they were promoting the hell out of Guardians and every time they did they ran a little disclaimer about the language in the movie not being appropriate for younger viewers.

Have you seen any other films that James Gunn has written or directed? There is no forced "edginess". Generally he mixes comedic elements and applies them to horror (Slither) and superhero (Super) and does it well. Disney/Marvel have a pretty solid track record at this point for picking the right director for the job. I think the film's near universal praise from critics and fans backs that up. My buddy who knows Guardians inside and out, loved it, it exceeded his high expectations. My sister, who generally doesn't see these kinds of genre movies, had no expectations and loved it. Honestly I can't think of any negative reactions I've seen, read or heard, at least from people who have seen the movie : p

I'm really not trying to be a cheerleader for the movie (it doesn't need it obviously) I really enjoyed the movie - it was fun, funny, entertaining and had heart - not going  to declare it BEST MOVIE EVER however I do think its silly to crap on something or make assumptions about something you haven't seen.

You should probably, ya know, see the movie before judging it. A couple of points though -
I'm trying to decide if I want to pay the money to see it first. It's not like I can watch it for free then decide I want to get it.... and I don't have the time or money to see everything that comes out. The trailer didn't grab me, which is why I asked in the first place (well, that and the fact that the thread seemed dead and I thought this would be a good way to revive it ;) ).

I haven't seen a really negative remark about it yet, so I'll give it a chance. Thankfully we still have a B&M rental store nearby so I'll be able to see it for $1 a day or two after launch :D

As far as James Gunn goes... all I've seen are the Scooby Doo movies and Thor Dark World.

Last edited:
I understand the point about paying to see it but judging it based upon any 'censorship' hang ups and faux edginess is what I was mainly addressing.

Gunn didn't write or direct Thor: The Dark World. The mid-credits scene with The Collector was directed by him because it was actually shot when Guardians was being filmed

I understand the point about paying to see it but judging it based upon any 'censorship' hang ups and faux edginess is what I was mainly addressing.

Gunn didn't write or direct Thor: The Dark World. The mid-credits scene with The Collector was directed by him because it was actually shot when Guardians was being filmed
I didn't know that, I thought he had the whole thing lol.

Seems weird that somebody would direct only one scene, I've never heard of that in a movie before.

I didn't know that, I thought he had the whole thing lol.

Seems weird that somebody would direct only one scene, I've never heard of that in a movie before.
Yes, it would be weird if Gunn just shot one two minute scene for Thor TDW but that's not how it works. As Gunn is shooting Guardians he shoots the stinger scene for Thor TDW and they slap it on the end of that film. Just like the stinger for Captain America TWS (revealing Quiksilver and Scarlet Witch) was shot by Joss Whedon while he was shooting Avengers Age of Ultron. Everything is planned out, they're not getting a bunch of cast and crew together randomly for a two minute scene.

Not sure if this was already mentioned here, but Best Buy has an exclusive cover for Sleeping Beauty (out Tuesday, Oct 7th). IMO, it looks a lot nicer.

Best Buy:

112129_large.jpg

Standard:

73790_large.jpg

Not sure if this was already mentioned here, but Best Buy has an exclusive cover for Sleeping Beauty (out Tuesday, Oct 7th). IMO, it looks a lot nicer.

Best Buy:

112129_large.jpg

Standard:

73790_large.jpg
I agree it looks nicer as long as that giant ONLY @ BEST BUY sticker isn't actually on the cover.

I have the last release but it feels incomplete to me because I bought I used and it doesn't have a slipcover, haven't been able to find one on ebay. I have been thinking about buyig the new Best Buy one for that cover and selling my old copy. I wish they were re-releasing the steelbook they had

It's definitely strange that Disney does SBs with Zavvi and Blufans, but nothing in the US. That whole Viva Metal Box thing must've burned bridges in the US.

Is Best Buy the cheapest for Sleeping Beauty blu?
As strait edge follower said. It's $19.99 versus Target's $22.99. I would hurry and get the Best Buy exclusive slipcover now before it's to late. They are selling out like crazy.

I have the Target story book and Best Buy exclusive lenticular. I'm not sure which one to keep. They are both nice.

My only complaint on the BB slipcover is that the inside cover art is the same as the standard slip. On the plus side, that means you get both covers, but the OCD in me wanted them to match.

ETA: The Target one is a storybook bundled with the standard blu-ray, not an integrated digibook like some of the past releases.

So, when Frozen came out earlier this year, there was a lot of salty people because the extras seemed so barren. Anyone know if Frozen is getting a re-release?

In googling "Frozen re-release," there have been some links posted around the same time as when Frozen came out (mid-March) that said Frozen was getting a re-release in October.

Anyone have any insight as to whether or not this is the case?

I'm holding out on getting Sleeping Beauty until Melefecent comes out too. I'm hoping someone offers a good discount for buying them together.

So, when Frozen came out earlier this year, there was a lot of salty people because the extras seemed so barren. Anyone know if Frozen is getting a re-release?

In googling "Frozen re-release," there have been some links posted around the same time as when Frozen came out (mid-March) that said Frozen was getting a re-release in October.

Anyone have any insight as to whether or not this is the case?
That would be the U.S. Diamond (or Crystal) release of Frozen, which was supposed to include a 3-D disc, another disc full of special features, and all the other goodies you get with these 4 and 5 disc sets. Trouble is, these rumors are not only proving to be false, but Disney is also doubling down on its anti-3D campaign, with the 3-D version of Maleficent also canceled (in the U.S. at least - other countries still get it), so there is almost zero chance that we'll see a re-release of Frozen this month, though we might see one (likely 2D only, unless Disney changes its tune) at some point in the future.

rbenns2, on 12 Oct 2014 - 1:37 PM, said:
That would be the U.S. Diamond (or Crystal) release of Frozen, which was supposed to include a 3-D disc, another disc full of special features, and all the other goodies you get with these 4 and 5 disc sets. Trouble is, these rumors are not only proving to be false, but Disney is also doubling down on its anti-3D campaign, with the 3-D version of Maleficent also canceled (in the U.S. at least - other countries still get it), so there is almost zero chance that we'll see a re-release of Frozen this month, though we might see one (likely 2D only, unless Disney changes its tune) at some point in the future.
Well, there is this coming out in November...http://www.bestbuy.com/site/frozen-sing-along-edition/8623068.p;jsessionid=C4B325CBE47EDB824A07EB054947D6FC.bbolsp-app01-192?id=2966123&skuId=8623068&st=frozen

Sort of a re-release.

Well, it is a sing-along edition. Kids probably don't care if it's 1080P, and adults probably aren't going to watch the sing-along version over the existing BD.

Well, it is a sing-along edition. Kids probably don't care if it's 1080P, and adults probably aren't going to watch the sing-along version over the existing BD.
The current BD easily becomes the sing-along edition if you just press the subtitle key when the songs come on. Song-only subtitles would have been a nice bonus feature, but we all know Disney isn't nice.

bread's done
Back