Displaying action figures in packaging

kodave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas/suggestions on how to best display a large quantity of action figures still in their packaging.

Having said that, let me get the following out of the way:
- If you're not a kid get rid of the toys
- Open them
- Stick it in her pooper

Unless there's a large wall space I know its impossible to make all the the action figures visible at once. But what would be the best way to display several and have easy browsing access to the rest without simply displaying some and keeping the rest in a box?

I guess a store rack would be the easiest, and just hang them all off the racks. But that doesn't look very good in a home/office/den/whatever.

A rack idea inside a display case where the racks pull out like drawers sounds interesting, but I have no idea if such a thing exists.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Or are such boxed action figures doomed to just be piled into a regular display cabinet/boxed away/store rack at best?

My bf has all his batman figures displayed in our office area...on a wall bookshelf. Actually it's more like the entire room but he displayed them pretty nicely. I do know that we saw some really nice glass display cases at Ikea that seem like a great idea for showing off collectibles. I love shopping there. :) I'd really like to buy a couple myself to display my collectibles in a couple corners of our office....if it doesn't take up any batman room. lol

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10119206

Depends on what kind of figures your talking about.

You could always buy something like this.

starcase.jpg

!CCJ9di!EWk~$(KGrHqUOKpYE0V)GNPOSBNKOR)fPUQ~~_3.JPG

You can buy different kinds of clear plastic protective cases like that. Not only do they make displaying the figure very easy on the wall or a rack but it protects them from dust and people can pick them up without man handling the actual figure. PLus a lot of brans of these have a spot to hang them by a hook or thumb tack but they have feet on the bottom so you can stand them up on a shelf, the bottom pic you can see its molded feet on the bottom.

Like for instance (I forgot the brand, star something I think) I have all my gi joe figures in those and they keep the backboard nice and flat because its meant to fit gi joes specifically and they dont slide around inside it or anything. They arent air tight but they are form fitted and you have to pull a bit to get them apart so no dust or anything is getting inside it. They are nice and sturdy also, they arent like cheap plastic that cracks or bends.

You can find those blister type cases for all different kinds of figures and they arent that costly. I used to pay like 15 bucks after shipping for 25 of them at a time off ebay.

[quote name='gargus']Depends on what kind of figures your talking about.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually talking about those Kenner POTF Star Wars toys from the 1990s. I know they're not worth anything more than their original MSRP, but I'd still like to leave them in their packaging.

Putting the entire package in more plastic isn't something I'm interested in. It may keep the product dust free but it feels like overkill since these don't have a lot of value. Plus 60 cents a plastic thing is pretty steep when I've got a ton of these.

I think I might have to attempt to rig something up on my own one of these days. I'm thinking if I just get some drawer sliders that are the same depth as a bookcase/etc. and attach a pole to hang them off of, that might work.

I used to display mine on my wall with just a thumbtack but I've since put them in plastic tubs in my attic. Now, I only buy action figures that I intend on opening to put on my computer desk.

[quote name='crystalklear64']something like this?
[/QUOTE]

Something like that did cross my mind, but it would end up being large in circumference considering the width of action figure packaging versus jewelery. I don't think I want to have like a circular clothing rack full of packaged action figures. At least I'm pretty sure that wouldn't look very good.

My idea is something along these lines:

2m2to2b.jpg

That's really the best I can think of for a large quantity where you don't have the wall space to do something like below but you don't want to keep the items boxed up in the attic.

wallsmall.jpg

I used to display mine using pegboard hung on a wall. You can get it at Home Depot for $10 or so for a pretty large sheet and it's white so it matches the wall (if your walls are white.) You could also paint it to match the walls. Then just buy pegs and hang each figure from the peg. Easy to rearrange and add more to if you need to and looks decent.

you can hide them in the secret room in your basement next to the random women you have tied up down there.....or just put them on shelves.

[quote name='kodave']I'm actually talking about those Kenner POTF Star Wars toys from the 1990s. I know they're not worth anything more than their original MSRP, but I'd still like to leave them in their packaging.

Putting the entire package in more plastic isn't something I'm interested in. It may keep the product dust free but it feels like overkill since these don't have a lot of value. Plus 60 cents a plastic thing is pretty steep when I've got a ton of these.

I think I might have to attempt to rig something up on my own one of these days. I'm thinking if I just get some drawer sliders that are the same depth as a bookcase/etc. and attach a pole to hang them off of, that might work.[/QUOTE]

Oh, those. Melt them down into plastic to increase their value. Err I mean.. *cough*

Honestly, I don't know. They aren't that good looking to display, or valuable so.. yea. The new figures blow them out of the water on displayability.

i keep them under my left roll for storage as it is the closest roll to room temperature. but only beautiful collectible figurines of beautiful lolis, not baka gaijin american toys.

[quote name='kodave']My idea is something along these lines:[/QUOTE]

That is definitely doable. It's just a cabinet with shelves/hooks on rails. You almost certainly will not find such a thing pre-manufactured but any carpenter worth his salt can build you one and he/she can probably put a nice door on there as well. Won't come cheap though. I guess the cheapest you could go is build the cabinet out of furniture grade plywood and then hit up some stores going out of business or ebay for the fixtures.

What kind of figures are they, how many do you have total, and how many are you trying to display at once?

bread's done
Back