Disputing credit card charges?

Gannikus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (100%)
Ok so 6 of my friends decided to go to an event last night to see a famous dj, which happens to be at a club. I bought the tickets online from their official website and used 2 of my credit cards. So once we get to the line and give the bouncer/ticket scanner our tickets, 2 of us got in without any problem. Then the 4 other people could not get in because "the tickets were already scanned, so you can't go in with these tickets" There's no way they could have gotten scanned, and I even showed them the receipt for ALL 6 of the tickets and still refused to let us in.

There were a bunch of other people in the line that had this problem as well. I even checked yelp.com and there were a couple reviews that had this problem with the club before.

Do you guys think I have a chance of disputing these charges? I paid $60 for each ticket so that's about $240 down the drain.

As long as you used an actual credit card, and not a debit card, you may have some success in disputing the charges. I wouldn't delay.

You can dispute any charge ever, and the CC company will almost ALWAYS side with you, as long as you aren't an obvious scammer (disputing things every other day, etc.). I have NEVER had the CC company side with the merchant in any dispute, mainly because YOU are their customer, not the merchant. The only real difference between companies is how annoying they make the process. Some are cake. Some... not so much. In the end, either way though, you should get your money back, if you follow the procedure. Debit card will work too, as long as it was processed as credit (assuming it's a visa, etc. debit card, but aren't they all now?). Merchants damn well know it too. It's a huge aside, but it's my favorite personal story involving a dispute. I had eye surgery, that didn't exactly go as promised about 13 years ago, and I couldn't see, more or less at all, for around two months. I had a pullbox at a local comic shop back then (I know, buying comics at a shop, crazy, but I digress). Anyway, when it got to where I could sort of see, I had my wife call the shop to ask if they still had my box. They said they did. She went down and picked them up. Surprise, surprise, the guy was lying (total jackass, now out of business, huzzah). Not only was quite a bit missing, but there was about a month worth of stuff that I already had, that I had bought from him. So I go down there to return the doubles. The asshole argues, saying that there was no way they were doubles from him and that I must have bought them somewhere else, etc., etc. After about 15-20 minutes of his BS, I simply say: Ok, this is going down one of two ways. A: you take the returns and give me store credit for the correct amount or B: I keep the comics, go home and dispute the charge. Without a second of thought, breaking stride not at all, he says: so which comics were the doubles again? The point being (and I find the story funny): always dispute any charge that needs to be. Most merchants are crooks, and most people let them get away with it. The main reason I use a card for almost everything and, in fact, will not do business with a merchant that doesn't take cards, because that tells me all I need to know about them right there. In your case it should be cut and dry, especially with others around you having the same issue. It is PRETTY obvious that the club double sold the tickets, not that yours were already scanned (why I hate internet tickets; I've never had that issue, but I've always been expecting it). And yeah, sooner is better. Most companies you can just do it through their webiste. If not, call. Now. Seriously. The closer to the event, the more legit your claim looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pacifickarma']As long as you used an actual credit card, and not a debit card, you may have some success in disputing the charges. I wouldn't delay.[/QUOTE]

I have a debit Mastercard through my bank and I get nearly every perk that comes with a Mastercard credit card. Some cheaper bank supported debit cards might not be the greatest, but if you have a debit card with a decent backing, you can no doubt file a chargeback.

[quote name='mietha']You can dispute any charge ever, and the CC company will almost ALWAYS side with you, as long as you aren't an obvious scammer (disputing things every other day, etc.). I have NEVER had the CC company side with the merchant in any dispute, mainly because YOU are their customer, not the merchant. The only real difference between companies is how annoying they make the process. Some are cake. Some... not so much. In the end, either way though, you should get your money back, if you follow the procedure. Debit card will work too, as long as it was processed as credit (assuming it's a visa, etc. debit card, but aren't they all now?). Merchants damn well know it too. It's a huge aside, but it's my favorite personal story involving a dispute. I had eye surgery, that didn't exactly go as promised about 13 years ago, and I couldn't see, more or less at all, for around two months. I had a pullbox at a local comic shop back then (I know, buying comics at a shop, crazy, but I digress). Anyway, when it got to where I could sort of see, I had my wife call the shop to ask if they still had my box. They said they did. She went down and picked them up. Surprise, surprise, the guy was lying (total jackass, now out of business, huzzah). Not only was quite a bit missing, but there was about a month worth of stuff that I already had, that I had bought from him. So I go down there to return the doubles. The asshole argues, saying that there was no way they were doubles from him and that I must have bought them somewhere else, etc., etc. After about 15-20 minutes of his BS, I simply say: Ok, this is going down one of two ways. A: you take the returns and give me store credit for the correct amount or B: I keep the comics, go home and dispute the charge. Without a second of thought, breaking stride not at all, he says: so which comics were the doubles again? The point being (and I find the story funny): always dispute any charge that needs to be. Most merchants are crooks, and most people let them get away with it. The main reason I use a card for almost everything and, in fact, will not do business with a merchant that doesn't take cards, because that tells me all I need to know about them right there. In your case it should be cut and dry, especially with others around you having the same issue. It is PRETTY obvious that the club double sold the tickets, not that yours were already scanned (why I hate internet tickets; I've never had that issue, but I've always been expecting it). And yeah, sooner is better. Most companies you can just do it through their webiste. If not, call. Now. Seriously. The closer to the event, the more legit your claim looks.[/QUOTE]
I already filed a dispute, we weren't the only ones that were BS's...other people also tried to show them their credit card, I.D, online statements to show them they matched the tickets.

What pisses me off is they tried to sell us tickets WITH cash and $20 more than the original tickets.

[quote name='Gannikus']I already filed a dispute, we weren't the only ones that were BS's...other people also tried to show them their credit card, I.D, online statements to show them they matched the tickets.

What pisses me off is they tried to sell us tickets WITH cash and $20 more than the original tickets.[/QUOTE]

sounds like the place is scamming people

Absolutely dispute the charges. That's a benefit all those merchant fees pay for, and one of the best reasons to use a credit card.

For all the shit credit card companies get, some valid, some not, being able to dispute a charge is one of the best protections credit cards offer. It is a tool, and I think a lot of people hate credit card companies when they are the ones that use the tool incorrectly.

Good luck!

[quote name='Gannikus']I already filed a dispute, we weren't the only ones that were BS's...other people also tried to show them their credit card, I.D, online statements to show them they matched the tickets.

What pisses me off is they tried to sell us tickets WITH cash and $20 more than the original tickets.[/QUOTE]

The good thing is that if enough people dispute the charge, that club will lose their merchant account.

@Destro
Yeah pretty much, the funny thing is the 2 people that got in were guys and the rest were 3 girls and 1 guy. AND the ticket scanner said something "you guys are pretty" There were at least 10 other people that had the same problem as us while we were out there.

@sonicsam
its called Ruby Skye in San Francisco

@spok + confoo
I'm thankful for credit card protection, even after all the BS they sign me up for (Overdraft protection) I'm glad we all have it though
I really hope a lot of those people dispute their charges and this is the first time in 4 years since I had to file a dispute, never had this problem with any other purchases for events

I found out today that club uses different websites for selling the tickets, they probably get a lot of complains so they can't stay with just one.

bread's done
Back