Dissapointed in ds lite

Stobes

CAG Veteran
I traded in my old ds plus my sp for a lite thinking it would be the answer to all my portable gaming dreams: great screens, great build, good buttons, looks cool, but I must say, I'm dissapointed. Out of all the nintendo handhelds I've owned (all of them), the lite is the only one I've had problems with. For one, mine had terrible burriness (ghosting) on the screens. I got that replaced only to find the same problem in the next lite. Got that replaced, to find stuck pixels, and loose shoulder buttons. I wouldn't say I've lost all faith in nintendo handhelds, but it sure shocks me that the lite has all these problems. Does anyone else agree the lite has more problems to it than most of nintendo's other handhelds?

Stuck pixels were also a problem on the original DS. All you have to do is look up how many people praise Nintendo's warranty policy over this. As for blurriness or ghosting, the original DS has the same problem, it's just not as noticiable due to the darker screen.

267004.jpg

I'm about to send my lite in for repair. Nintendo's customer service is pretty good, even though they sent my two defective systems. Hopefully they can fix the shoulder buttons problem.

This is the first I've heard about bad shoulder buttons. How common is the problem? And what is ghosting? I'm going to get a DSLite soonish (I SWEAR NO REALLY THIS TIME), so being informed of potential issues would rock.

The left shoulder button on mine has started to give me problems - it also has the cracked left hinge problem. I figure the two are probably related. The cracked hinge didn't bother me much, but the messed up shoulder button actually affects gameplay so that is a drag. Still I don't want to be without it for the time it would take to send in to N for the repair. Maybe after the new year.

[quote name='SDC']This is the first I've heard about bad shoulder buttons. How common is the problem? And what is ghosting? I'm going to get a DSLite soonish (I SWEAR NO REALLY THIS TIME), so being informed of potential issues would rock.[/QUOTE]
The first ds lite I bought didn't have the loose shoulder buttons, but the two i've gotten since had it. I had it also in my original ds, so i guess its just a manufacturing problem. It doesn't affect gameplay for me, its just annoying. The blurriness when games are in movement (or ghosting) isn't supposed to be a common problem with lites, and the latest system I got doesn't have it that bad, its only really noticeable when playing gba games. Another little issue you might want to know is loose volume slider, which you can press down a little. These little problems are annoying, but the lite still is a marginal improvement over the original.

I actually love my DS Lite. One of the it factor for me was its sleek design as well as the Vibrant Screen (although its not quite crisp compared to the PSP). Another reason is my sister picked up a DS Lite and has been hooked on it for the past 2 weeks. So props to Nintendo for finally cracking my sister into the gaming scene.

Any ghosting is probably common to all units due to the specifications of the screen. To expect these LCDs to be as fast as an LCD computer monitor is probably asking too much. This is probably why you're not seeing people complaining about it - any motion blur is common to all Lites, and anyone who notices is simply dealing with it.

Same goes for the "loose" volume slider. They all are like this. The design of the unit seems to be such that you can wiggle the volume piece around and in and out. As long as it doesn't fall off you should be fine.

Any loose shoulder buttons is probably a problem that needs attention.

I'm not praising Nintendo (my first lite had light bleed through from the bottom screen, and my current one's bottom screen is a bit yellowed), but to expect perfection from a $130 unit that's made el cheapo overseas is probably asking too much (unfortunately).

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']Any ghosting is probably common to all units due to the specifications of the screen. To expect these LCDs to be as fast as an LCD computer monitor is probably asking too much. This is probably why you're not seeing people complaining about it - any motion blur is common to all Lites, and anyone who notices is simply dealing with it.

Same goes for the "loose" volume slider. They all are like this. The design of the unit seems to be such that you can wiggle the volume piece around and in and out. As long as it doesn't fall off you should be fine.

Any loose shoulder buttons is probably a problem that needs attention.

I'm not praising Nintendo (my first lite had light bleed through from the bottom screen, and my current one's bottom screen is a bit yellowed), but to expect perfection from a $130 unit that's made el cheapo overseas is probably asking too much (unfortunately).

-HM[/QUOTE]
I hope you're right about the ghosting, cause I can't seem to get one without it. It seems kinda strange for all of them to have it, cause it creates a distracting effect in gba games, like when you move any npc becomes blurry, then when you stop, they become clear.

Stobes,

By the nature of the fact that "you can't seem to get one without" ghosting, concludes that this is simply the way it is. All LCD screens have ghosting to some degree, because they're simply not capable of changing a pixel on and off fast enough so you don't notice. I suspect that espy is correct, and you simply didn't notice this before because the Lite's screens are very bright.

Thus, turning down the brightness should hide the problem a bit.

-HM

I've had my DS Lite for two months now, and I've had no problems with it. That might be because I treat it like a child.

The responsiveness of the buttons on the DS Phat was significantly better than on the Lite, and I'd also highly recommend that you buy your DS at a local store so you can quickly exchange it if you encounter any problems. The first two Lites I got had dead pixel issues.

All in all, though, the Lite is such a fine piece of hardware compared to the Phat that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The brightness of the screen, the better feel of the stylus and its placement, and the sleekness of it are so worth it. It also seems to cramp my hands less than the Phat.

I haven't had a problem with anything, with my red fatass or my onyx lite (though I've only had it for about a month). Hopefully they've fixed the hinge problem...

Not a dead pixel on either one either.

[quote name='Scobie']The responsiveness of the buttons on the DS Phat was significantly better than on the Lite, and I'd also highly recommend that you buy your DS at a local store so you can quickly exchange it if you encounter any problems. The first two Lites I got had dead pixel issues.

All in all, though, the Lite is such a fine piece of hardware compared to the Phat that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The brightness of the screen, the better feel of the stylus and its placement, and the sleekness of it are so worth it. It also seems to cramp my hands less than the Phat.[/QUOTE]
I made the mistake of going straight to nintendo to replace my system. I definitly should of sent it back to eb first, since the process would be a lot faster. Oh well, hopefully everything will be right after I send mine in for repair.

I've definitely noticed the ghosting, but only in the Pokemon games. The NPCs eyes become all blurred when you move around. It bothered me for a minute, but I figure it's the price to pay for the brighter screen.

I've had my onyx lite since it came out. No ghosting, no dead pixels, no loose buttons, no problems at all! The only complaint I have is the dpad is a bit small for my fat thumb. I got mine at Wal-Mart.

Viva the DS Tank! A question, is the volume of the DS lite speakers softer when compared to tank?

also, thanks for pointing out all of the issues when playing GBA games. That's all I pretty much use it for.

[quote name='cisco49']Viva the DS Tank! A question, is the volume of the DS lite speakers softer when compared to tank?[/QUOTE]

The DS Lite speakers seem to me to have a weaker output than the Phat, but I don't mind. Usually I use headphones or just shut the sound off after been playing a game for a while (the music and effects in Advance Wars get to be annoying as hell after the first half hour).

I finally opened my black DS Lite. I've been using a phatty since Feb 2005. I immediately noticed the tinnier sound quality. However, the screen, of course, is much nicer (and no dead or stuck pixels on this one - woo-hoo!). The biggest improvement is the stylus though - the old one cramped up my hands, this one is much nicer (yes, of course you could use the bigger one on the old system but it doesn't have a place to store it :D). I thought I wouldn't like the 'flimsiness' of the lite, but it actually doesn't seem that bad to me and being lighter makes it easier on the cramping as well.

I don't mind the regular buttons or D-pad at all on the new one either. The select and start buttons are very wierd though. The games I'm playing now don't require them too much, but I could see them being annoying on ones that require lots of "select" pushing. Also, I liked being able to keep a GBA game in the old DS - now, of course, it looks pretty stupid on the new system so I'll only have one in there if I'm playing it. The only other thing I don't like is the PSP-like fingerprinting (though kudos to Nintendo for using the flat finish on the interior - that would look horrible glossy). I like the finish of the older system better.

Overall, though, I'm glad I opened the new one. Now I will either sell my old Teal one or just keep it for the kids (they have a dark blue also). I'm not buying a lite any time soon for them, though, as it seems the old one will take more punishment :lol:.

bread's done
Back