DJ Max Portable 3 announced for NA

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/25/dj-max-portable-3-coming-to-psp-in-2010/
If you've ever found yourself in the proverbial club (perhaps with a bottle full of bub), then you may be familiar with Pentavision's DJ Max -- a Beatmania-like music-rhythm series with some of the most intense gameplay in the genre. Today, PM Studios has announced it will publish DJ Max Portable 3 in the US.

PM Studios promises "more than 50 songs, unique modes, customizable options, and a yet to be announced new feature." The game is set to launch sometime in 2010 on UMD and as a download on PSN.

I am so happy about the news because I absolutely love DJ Max Portable. Definitely buying this.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

this game is fun but damn its tough as hell when its set on the harder difficulties. The old one had alot of korean songs which were fun to listen to and play. Definitely checking the 3rd one out. UMD all the way.

Any word on if anything new is going to be brought to the table? I see no reason to upgrade unless they are going to add more than just new songs.

I was reading about DJMAX Hot Tunes (sort of a Japanese version of DJMAX Fever) and it says they removed both the autocorrect and the green notes. I hope Pentavision took them out of Hot Tunes (and keeps them out of DJMP3), not because the game was aimed more at beginners, but because they were both horrible ideas.

I had a hard time playing Fever because just knowing the autocorrect was there sort of psyched me out and I got really sloppy.

If you want a Physical copy of the game rather than digital, it would be best to reserve. NOW.

According to Kotaku, only 5,000 copies will be sold at Amazon and bemaniastyle.com and a additional 1000 collectors editions will be sold at bemaniastyle.com

You'd be wise to act now if you want a physical copy of PM Studios' DJ Max Portable 3 next month, as the publisher reveals only 5,000 UMD copies and 1,000 Special Bundle Editions making it stateside. The age of the digital download is upon us, or at least it is for any DJ Max Portable fans looking to score a copy of the game in October after the initial release runs out. PM Studios is only releasing 5,000 retail copies of DJ Max Portable 3 on October 14, and those copies will be available through Amazon.com and Bemanistyle.com.
Along with the limited UMD copies at $40 a pop, PM Studios is also releasing an extremely attractive Special Bundle Edition for $110, with less than 1,000 available for purchase at Bemanistyle.com.
What's do you get for $110?

• DJMAX PORTABLE 3 UMD
  • Altenate Coversheet
  • Special Art Book
  • DJMAX PORTABLE 3 SOUNDTRACK
  • Deluxe Packaging
  • Contest Voucher

The contest vouchers are randomly placed in the Special Edition Bundles, giving stalwart fans a chance at some very impressive prizes.
  • Grand Prize (5) Winners: Technika Championship Card (Only 30 Made), Technika Platinum Crew Card (Only 30 Made), Technika Limited Edition Panda Card, DJMAX Portable Black Square Limited Edition, DJMAX Trilogy Limited Edition, DJMAX Fever, DJMAX Black Square and Clazziquai Edition Combo Pack, Technika Limited Edition Soundtrack, Technika 2 Limited Edition Soundtrack.
  • First Tier (300) Winners: Free PSN Version of DJMAX Fever.
  • Second Tier (100) Winners: Free PSN Version of Strikers 1945 Plus.
  • Third Tier (20) Winners: Free Technika Championship Card
  • Third Tier (20) Winners: Free Technika Platinum Crew Card
  • Fourth Tier (50) Winners: Random Technika Card
Don't worry if you don't manage to secure a physical copy; the game will be available for download via the PlayStation Network on October 19, though wouldn't it be nice to be one of those 6,000 owners of a full copy?
Send an email to Michael Fahey, the author of this post, at [email protected]
http://kotaku.com/5634147/there-will-only-be-6000-physical-copies-of-dj-max-portable-3

Put in my preorder for the regular edition this morning after seeing that. I hope the songs are better than Black Square.

$110 is absolutely ridiculous for that special edition.

[quote name='metaly']$110 is absolutely ridiculous for that special edition.[/QUOTE]
It might be actually worth something if kept sealed for the next few years since their will be only a 1000 copies of the special edition in the US.

My copy shipped from Amazon a few hours ago. It says it won't get here till Monday, but that's OK because I need this weekend to play Lufia. :whee:

So my game ended up arriving yesterday and I've already played a few hours. Some impressions:

Good
- First and foremost, the green note and autocorrect from Black Square/Fever are gone. Good riddance.
- So far I haven't run into any songs with traditional analog spin sections. Personally, I'm glad they removed it. I always found switching to the analog jarring and it was very likely I'd break my combo doing it.
- The new 3.2 and 4.2 button modes are a fresh take on the gameplay. These are the 3-column modes shown in the previous and are where the analog stick comes into play. You use the stick to activate the left or right columns when notes appear there, sort of similar to the crossfader in DJ Hero. I think there's also a 6.2 mode, but I haven't unlocked it.
- The sound shift when you're in the other columns adds some nice variation. 3.2/4.2 remixes of songs sound different than their 4/6 button counterparts. Also, series fans will recognize a lot of samples from classic DJMP songs appearing during these sections.
- Masai remix! My favorite DJMP1 song gets an update. This was a nice surprise.
- whiteblue is back in a mostly unaltered (non-remixed) form, albeit with a different note chart (I think), and they removed the bridge. I didn't like that at first, but it's slowly growing on me. It definitely improves the flow of the song.
- That awful Club Tour mode from Black Square is gone.
- The sound quality is excellent. Visuals are nice and shiny, although maybe not quite as shiny as Black Square.

Not So Good
- Most significantly, 5 and 8 button modes are gone. I can actually live without both of these, but I imagine a lot of fans will be upset, especially over 8 button mode.
- The current combo and fever bar are back right in the middle of the play field instead of being conveniently off to the side like in Black Square.
- The square/circle button notes are now silver and pink instead of silver and blue, so they look just like the left/right d-pad notes. It seems nitpicky but in 6B mode it was a nice way of visually separating notes, especially right/square. Maybe there's an unlockable note set that fixes this, but I don't have any yet.
- No more Network mode.
- No Link Disc, although this isn't surprising. Maybe the Korean version has it.
- No OST or MV modes.
- I haven't decided if I like the soundtrack better than Black Square yet, but it still falls far short of DJMP1 and 2.

All-in-all, I'm enjoying having a new DJMAX to play and have already stayed up way too late playing it. :) I wish they could put out a game that had the same song quality/variety and personality as DJMP1 and 2, but it's not like I can't just go back and play those if I want.

I have the first one that was released in the N.A. and enjoyed it. I might just get the PSN version if no actual physical store is going to carry this. Part of the fun for me is tracking down hard to find games in actual stores.

[quote name='metaly']So my game ended up arriving yesterday and I've already played a few hours. Some impressions:

Good
- So far I haven't run into any songs with traditional analog spin sections. Personally, I'm glad they removed it. I always found switching to the analog jarring and it was very likely I'd break my combo doing it.
- The new 3.2 and 4.2 button modes are a fresh take on the gameplay. These are the 3-column modes shown in the previous and are where the analog stick comes into play. You use the stick to activate the left or right columns when notes appear there, sort of similar to the crossfader in DJ Hero. I think there's also a 6.2 mode, but I haven't unlocked it.
- The sound shift when you're in the other columns adds some nice variation. 3.2/4.2 remixes of songs sound different than their 4/6 button counterparts. Also, series fans will recognize a lot of samples from classic DJMP songs appearing during these sections.
- That awful Club Tour mode from Black Square is gone.

Not So Good
- No OST or MV modes.[/QUOTE]

1. 3.2/4.2/6.2T remixes are the analog spin songs.
2. 6.2T mode is only available if you set the game to Hard in the options. This makes it awful. :bomb:
3. "Come to me-- I WANT-- I WANT-- I-- I-- I WANT YOU--"
4. Now replaced with level grinding on the default 30 songs, because you don't unlock another one until at least level [30]! :bomb:
5. MV mode should be in the Lounge, but yeah, OST mode is gone. :bomb:

EDIT: I stand corrected on 2 and 4. You can unlock 6.2T mode for Normal as a random level up prize box starting at Level 50. That links into 4 in that LEVEL GRINDING HURR. Also you start getting new songs also by random prize box every 10 levels starting at Level 30. DURR LEVEL GRINDING ┐(;゚ー゚)┌

Last edited by a moderator:
This is available on PSN now. I guess a physical copy in an actual brick & mortar store is still up in the air.

If I ever get a PSPgo or PSP2 this will be one of my actual download games if I never find an actual copy.

Double post: Just watched an unboxing video of the limited edition. A part of me wants the liimited edition, while the inner cag in me would rather get the PSN version for half the current $39.99 price tag.

I didn't get the limited edtion of the first game. The artbook and alternate cover art for DJ Max Portable 3 looks nice!

I got the LE and it definitely look/feel better than the pics shown when it was available for pre-orders.

Still... probably not worth the $100, but when talking about LE, most of the time it is not about the actual worth of the items included.

I am happy with my decision to go with the LE.

bread's done
Back