DL suspended for 6 months, advice?

minqqq

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
yea so my license is suspended for 6 months starting today, as a result of 3 speeding tickets in a years span. I got the first one last may. then I got 1 in texas and 1 in missouri the day after which was around halloween. I was just wondering if any of yous knew a way to get out of the suspension? Is there anything I can do legally, or do I just have to wait it out? I live in illinois if that helps any. i need serious advice, i'm pretty bummed about it. thanks.

[quote name='minqqq']yea so my license is suspended for 6 months starting today, as a result of 3 speeding tickets in a years span. I got the first one last may. then I got 1 in texas and 1 in missouri the day after which was around halloween. I was just wondering if any of yous knew a way to get out of the suspension? Is there anything I can do legally, or do I just have to wait it out? I live in illinois if that helps any. i need serious advice, i'm pretty bummed about it. thanks.[/QUOTE]

Did a judge suspend it? Couldn't you do a deal wheer if you take the defensive driving course you get a reduction in points that would allow you to keep driving?

why didnt you go to court and beat it? In california the cops dont show up and you usually win automatically.

[quote name='javeryh']My advice would be to stop speeding when you get your license back in 6 months.[/QUOTE]

He shouldn't speed but the question becomes how much were you speeding over the limit each time?

[quote name='3kingdoms']why didnt you go to court and beat it? In california the cops dont show up and you usually win automatically.[/QUOTE]

Don't fight it. You were an idiot, take the suspension and learn from it.

i stopped speeding after that first ticket. the other two tickets are an exception, i had to get down to southern texas and back to illinois in two days because of family issues. i was under an incredible amount of stress, and minimal sleep.

i don't think a judge suspended it? i just got a letter in the mail from the secretary of state saying my license is being suspended from this date to this date. there was no court date or anything.

six months is harsh though. It weird that he would get tickets in two different states.. Also check TEXAS laws they may issue arrest warrants for unpaid tickets..

Also have you paid all your tickets? Can you go to traffic school for any of those tickets? and is there a appealing process in the letter?

[quote name='ndshide']Don't fight it. You were an idiot, take the suspension and learn from it.[/QUOTE]

wow i'm an idiot for speeding, thanks that helps i'm gonna learn a lot from not driving. you're the brightest person in the world and i'm sure you never speed you fucking douchebag. if you don't have anything productive to say, i don't need to hear it. my life went down the shitter these past couple a years, and i finally got back on track, and now i find out my license is suspended for shit that happened a year ago which puts a major dent in my plans so why wouldn't i want to fucking find a way out of it. get off your fucking high horse, you fucking douchebag.

but anyways, on each occasion i was speeding about 15 over. first was in a 35 zone, the others were in a 65 zone. i paid all the tickets in full, and the only one with the option for traffic school was the one in illinois back in may of 06 which i did not take, and yes i'm an idiot for that. there is no information about an appealing process either.

Texas will issue warrants for tickets, just a heads up. I know a friend of mine who once was in your position, however, he did get issued a permit to legally drive from home to work ONLY and vice versa. Don't know if this is possible in your situation though.

how can u possibly speed in a 65 mph zone. the max here in NY is 55. after this first ticket or two u really should have taken it down a notch.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']how can u possibly speed in a 65 mph zone. the max here in NY is 55. after this first ticket or two u really should have taken it down a notch.[/QUOTE]

i'm not like a speed demon, i usually go the speed limit or 5 over. so these are fairly isolated incidences. but the 1st time i was running late for work, and the other two times i was trying to drive 3000 miles in 48 hours alone, so i was in a bit of a hurry. after the 1st ticket i did take it down a notch, but that weekend driving to tx was terrible. also, the speed limit on interstates in the midwest is usually 65, and the flow of traffic is usually 75-85 mph.

Besides the obvious mistake of speeding in the first place (or rather, getting caught speeding), your next mistake was to not take traffic school for your first ticket. Since that option is long gone, your only other option would be to see if you can get a permit to drive to/from work and/or school. If you can provide documentation that you need the vehicle to get to/from work/schoolthey'll usually issue a permit that states you can drive during this short span of time each day. Bu if you get pulled over and it's obvious you're not somewhere between work/school and your house... big trouble.

[quote name='Warner1281']Besides the obvious mistake of speeding in the first place (or rather, getting caught speeding), your next mistake was to not take traffic school for your first ticket. Since that option is long gone, your only other option would be to see if you can get a permit to drive to/from work and/or school. If you can provide documentation that you need the vehicle to get to/from work/schoolthey'll usually issue a permit that states you can drive during this short span of time each day. Bu if you get pulled over and it's obvious you're not somewhere between work/school and your house... big trouble.[/QUOTE]

yea i'm definitely kicking myself for not taking traffic school for that first ticket. i'll look into the permit thing since it seems like my only option? do you know what kind of documentation i will need, and can this be done at my local dmv?

also my friends mentioned a couple things that i'm not too sure of. one guy said i could get a lawyer and he could work it out in court for me and get my license back. is that possible? and another friend told me cops can run your plates and see that the driver has a suspended license and can pull you over for that. any truth to that? even if it's my mother's and father's names registered on the vehicle?

[quote name='minqqq']yea i'm definitely kicking myself for not taking traffic school for that first ticket. i'll look into the permit thing since it seems like my only option? do you know what kind of documentation i will need, and can this be done at my local dmv?

also my friends mentioned a couple things that i'm not too sure of. one guy said i could get a lawyer and he could work it out in court for me and get my license back. is that possible? and another friend told me cops can run your plates and see that the driver has a suspended license and can pull you over for that. any truth to that? even if it's my mother's and father's names registered on the vehicle?[/QUOTE]
Talk to a lawyer - no one here is going to be able to give you a definitive answer.

Keep in mind I'm not a lawyer. With that said, I'd be willing to bet that the answer is no; seeing as it's an automatic penalty from the secretary of state, I'm not sure what grounds you'd be able to challenge it on. The fact that you got two of the tickets in a short period of time won't help either; even if it was during a family emergency, getting two tickets in such a short period of time won't look very good for you.

[quote name='minqqq']wow i'm an idiot for speeding, thanks that helps i'm gonna learn a lot from not driving. you're the brightest person in the world and i'm sure you never speed you fucking douchebag. if you don't have anything productive to say, i don't need to hear it. my life went down the shitter these past couple a years, and i finally got back on track, and now i find out my license is suspended for shit that happened a year ago which puts a major dent in my plans so why wouldn't i want to fucking find a way out of it. get off your fucking high horse, you fucking douchebag.

but anyways, on each occasion i was speeding about 15 over. first was in a 35 zone, the others were in a 65 zone. i paid all the tickets in full, and the only one with the option for traffic school was the one in illinois back in may of 06 which i did not take, and yes i'm an idiot for that. there is no information about an appealing process either.[/QUOTE]

You're calling someone else a douchebag?

Suck it up and ride a bike. I had to do it for nine months, you can too.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']how can u possibly speed in a 65 mph zone. the max here in NY is 55. after this first ticket or two u really should have taken it down a notch.[/QUOTE]

I take it you dont have freeways around? Speed limit is 65 here, 70 in Washington. Traffic is usually at least 10mph over.

[quote name='briansraregames']http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/151/0/home.aspx

That's how all the drunks around here get around after they lose their licenses. Don't know if they need to get plates in IL though, they don't need to be plated in IN.[/QUOTE]

Oh jeez, I'd get my ass kicked if i showed up to work on that! (and deserve it)

If you cant afford to try and fight it, you'll have to find other modes of transportation. Carpooling? bike, public transportation? Dont know what's available in your area or if you work or what.

I was always of the belief your license could only be suspended for tickets received in your state of license issuance. But I'm not a law expert by any means, so I may well be wrong on that.

On another note.. are you a minor or is your state really tight on suspensions.. here in Ohio its 12 points to get suspended (2 pts per speeding ticket).

I'd invest in a bike, I got rid of my car months ago (this silly campus has no parking and the car was a hunk of junk). And, at this rate a few tanks of gas will pay for a pretty nice bike.

It's also good exercise.

[quote name='minqqq']3000 miles in 48 hours alone[/quote]

If I was an officer i'd give you about 4 tickets for that statement alone.

Basically you deserve what you got, 6 months for speeding? Thats it, consider yourself lucky, i spent a month in jail and paid over 2000 dollars in fines because i did 87/65 with no one around, during the middle of the night.

Consider yourself lucky.

P.S. Stop Speeding It is not worth it. The little bit of time you save in the long run just is not worth it.

3000 miles going 65mph would take you 46 hours, going 75 would take you 40, is it really worth saving 6 hours to lose your liscence for 6 months?

Eck... I thought I had a lead foot. Well, then again I really am too lucky for my own good.

Seriously though, know when to do what. Rush hour for ex is no time to be speeding, duh.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Eck... I thought I had a lead foot. Well, then again I really am too lucky for my own good.

Seriously though, know when to do what. Rush hour for ex is no time to be speeding, duh.[/quote]

It's not what time you drive, but what freeways you drive. Interstates are THE WORST freeways to ever be speeding on.

[quote name='InuFaye']Basically you deserve what you got, 6 months for speeding? Thats it, consider yourself lucky, i spent a month in jail and paid over 2000 dollars in fines because i did 87/65 with no one around, during the middle of the night. [/quote]

I have to wonder what the hell else you did to get thrown in jail for 30 days for a lousy speeding ticket? 30 days for 22 over, I'm not buying it.

TBW

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']I have to wonder what the hell else you did to get thrown in jail for 30 days for a lousy speeding ticket? 30 days for 22 over, I'm not buying it.

TBW[/quote]

I would not Joke about it, seriously 22 over, 30 days in jail, because i got into an accident that was not my fault earlier that year.

[quote name='InuFaye']I would not Joke about it, seriously 22 over, 30 days in jail, because i got into an accident that was not my fault earlier that year.[/QUOTE]

Did you hit and run?
DUI also?

Cause 22 over doesn't get you thrown in jail in my state.

bread's done
Back