DLCs - worth or waste of money?

yester

CAGiversary!
Hi, i wonder often times if DLCs are really worth the money or just waste.
Sure, you will be able to explore more and stay with the game for a longer time.
Sometimes it will give you even an additional character.
But then, i wonder if the money spend on the DLC is really well spend.

It may lay in the eye of the beholder, but i come to realize that it is often not much worth the money.
Dragonage was such a case, where the DLC was rather short. Now Fallout NW is a different kind. You get a raise in level (why do i want to pay for that?).

I think there is no clear answer to this question. What someone views as money well spent, someone else see it as waste.
But i wonder what players on this forum think about it.

Don't get me wrong. A good DLC can enhance the experience of a game but i tend more and more to just play the main game and leave DLCs on hold, perhaps forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only DLC I buy is something that I find of value and can enjoy multiple times, i.e. Rock Band songs.

Other than that I usually wait for the GOTY editions of games or buy DLC on the DOTW sales.

Depends on the game and replay value. Some games have dlc but their trade in value is low, so low that people just keep the game and get the dlc to add a further experience. Games like call of duty, halo, gears of war have had good dlc and given me a more fun experience and lots of replay value. It all varies and also depends on you if you're really into the game and series. I can't sit there and put in 40+hours on a game like fallout 3 but others can so to each their own. Do remember, some games get repetitive and it starts to feel like a chore instead of an enjoying game.

Depends on the game and DLC.

I love DLC if it's true extra content and extends the game like say Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 2. The Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2 was great as well. Map packs are ok if you're into online FPS games--though they tend to be over priced.

I have no interest in things like costume or weapon packs etc. though.

The biggest advantage DLC gives the consumer is the instant ability to get content, opposed to running to the store picking up a box or cd case. It depends on the game and the DLC. Costume pack/unlock multiplayer mode on disc, no. Added mission that branches two games together, yes!

What I'm having trouble tossing around is if you buy a game with special perks that come with the game that the normal game doesn't have you might be able to get them in a DLC which might turn out to be much cheaper.

Anyone know if it's worth buying the Fable 3 collectors edition or just buy the normal version and get the main DLC quest content?

Neither, rent it. I don't buy games anymore unless they have online multiplayer. Most game campaigns nowadays don't last long so there isn't much replay value. Also, some of them have dlc add-ons but theyre short (mass effect, fable). Then again, there are games that are single player and will keep u busy like fallout. Just a matter of if u want to invest that much time on that title.

Worth it. I love DLC. Even costumes and stuff.

If you don't want it, don't buy it, it's that simple. But I'm glad the option is there for those of us who want to nerd out over our favorite games.

Really I think it depends on the content and the person using it. If the content is good then sure it is worth it, if not then obviously it is not. I think it is sometimes ridiculous when a map pack comes out a week or two after the initial release and is priced around $15, just isn't right. I mean it is common business I understand, supply and demand and even if the content is good it just seems wrong. I remember the old days where there was no download content at all, you either bought sequels or waited. I like the addition of dlc in general, it all depends though ultimately on the content itself, it is really just a hit and miss thing.

I bought The Force Unleashed Endor DLC (80msp) and I don't even have the game. Price is definitely a factor. (I'll rent it eventually)

I bought The Passing (560msp) for L4D2 not because of the new Chapter, but because of the new weekly mutations it gave everyone access to. I passed on The Sacrifice (also 560msp) because it was simply another Chapter.

The Maw had 3 DLC deleted scene levels for ~100 points each. They each lasted about 20-40 minutes. That was worth the price.

This morning I noticed Beautiful Katamari has about 7 DLC levels for 80pts each. I'm on the fence with that one.

With all these "game of the year" editions coming out lately I just hold off on DLC now. Sometimes it's cheaper to re-buy that version of the game. Seeing Fable 2 for $10 with all the DLC included on the disc hurts when I bought the game AND the DLC day one.

I also think all these map packs are incredibly over-priced but that said, I'm not a huge online gamer... just my opinion.

[quote name='thehuskerfan']The only DLC I buy is something that I find of value and can enjoy multiple times, i.e. Rock Band songs.

Other than that I usually wait for the GOTY editions of games or buy DLC on the DOTW sales.[/QUOTE]

This, but of course DLC just depends on the person and the nature of the DLC. I love the DLC added to Marvel UA 1/2 as it gives you a bunch of new characters/missions/achievements. Guitar Hero stuff is o.k., but overall, most DLC is just a waste of money.

The majority (if not all) paid DLC I buy is from playstation gameshares.

The sole reason is because I can resell the DLC when I'm done with it and it also helps that it is 1/5th the price.

For the 360, I usually stick to DLC that can be downloaded via physical disk (ala Fallout GOTY, Dragon Age ultimate) this way I can resell the disk when I'm finished with it.

The only time I'll actually cough up dlc at a loss (meaning no resale value) is when there is a really good sale or it is released at a small price + good value.

It depends on how much I like the game and if it adds achievements.

If no achievements are added that means I will pay nothing for the DLC.

If Achievements are added through DLC in a game I really like, I will pay up to $10. I usually pick it up when it's on sale though because by the time DLC comes out, I am long done with the game unless it's a multiplayer game.

If the game was "ok" then I will pay up to $5, but I will usually wait until it goes on sale.

If I really hated the game, then I will pay nothing.

[quote name='thehuskerfan']The only DLC I buy is something that I find of value and can enjoy multiple times, i.e. Rock Band songs.

Other than that I usually wait for the GOTY editions of games or buy DLC on the DOTW sales.[/QUOTE]This. I also have gotten a number of point cards for a pretty good deal thanks to KMart, so the out of pocket cost of a full price DLC doesn't cost as much as it normally would. That said, I also have a tendency to not care about the cost if the DLC is for a game I absolutely love and have spent countless hours playing (i.e. Oblivion). I bought everything except the horse armor.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Worth it. I love DLC. Even costumes and stuff.

If you don't want it, don't buy it, it's that simple. But I'm glad the option is there for those of us who want to nerd out over our favorite games.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. There is a ton of stuff even for games I like that I don't buy. At least the option is there and I may change my mind down the road.

Buying points cards at a discount is the best thing you can do. Don't be afraid to stock up when you see sales. I know when I buy any DLC I've already gotten at least 20% off from buying cards at discount. Might not be much for a single DLC item, but over the life of a console it's going to add up huge.

bread's done
Back