do all harddrives die?

Abdullah2

CAGiversary!
my xbox is full of music from cds that got stolen, i was wonderin if you took care of your xbox would the hd last forever? what about cartridges that hold saves? id hate for all my saves to just die one day

Hard drives are peculiar little devices. There's really no telling when they'll go.

And no, the memory cards won't allow you to transfer music to them.

Yes, all harddrives die. They are the most fragile thing in any piece of computer equipment, or at least the ones most likely to break through everyday, nonviolent use. They do just sit there and spin all the time, and everything with moving parts will break eventually.

The only way to get your music/saves off of your harddrive to another one (say your PC for example), would be to mod your Xbox. Which is a way to get a lot out of your black box.

[quote name='zewone']The only way to get your music/saves off of your harddrive to another one (say your PC for example), would be to mod your Xbox. Which is a way to get a lot out of your black box.[/QUOTE]

he speaks the truth..unless there's some other way to bust through whatever it is that blocks a pc from reading the HD through ftp.

Xbox HDs are also pretty cheapily made.

that sucks about your cds. my friend got his truck stolen with all his cds inside. they found the truck, but it was flipped over,stripped, and was burned to hell.

CDs and DVDs are guaranteed by manufacturers to last 50 years. Keep in mind, that media hasn't been around that long yet, so there's no telling how long they'll last -- maybe more. I mean, if you watch a DVD 5 - 10 times and just keep it as a collector's item, I'm sure it'd last an eternity.

Hard drives are the same, I hear. 30 - 40 years or something... maybe.

If you're that desperate to recover the music from your Xbox, you could play the songs you want in the dashboard and hook the audio output up to your computer and record them onto there, then burn them to CDs. It's not the best or easiest method, but it may be your only option at this point.

Oh and let this be a lesson to always back up your media when possible.

I had my old 20GB hard drive from my 9 1/2 yr old PC die on me a few months ago... the thing just crashed... and this PC has gone through hell, its turned on 24/7 for the pass 9 years... gone through alot of abuse from P2P programs... Sure harddrive are pretty durable IMO...

I'm sure the xbox will fine for 20+ years from now...

[quote name='Spoon_si']I had my old 20GB hard drive from my 9 1/2 yr old PC die on me a few months ago... the thing just crashed... and this PC has gone through hell, its turned on 24/7 for the pass 9 years... gone through alot of abuse from P2P programs... Sure harddrive are pretty durable IMO...

I'm sure the xbox will fine for 20+ years from now...[/QUOTE]

Did they even have 20gb hds back then?

If you have the first Mech Assualt and a memory card you can install Linux without modding you system then you could ftp all your files off your xbox hdd(including save games) and back them up on you computer.

I think (someone confirm) that if you get Xbox Music Mixer you may be able to back the music off onto your PC. I know it allows music to go from the PC to the Xbox, not sure about the other direction.

Average hard drive life cycle is about five years I believe. You are dealing with magnetics, and those will fizzle out over time. If you have a hard drive that's in the ten year old range, you have a fine piece of equipment.

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']If you have the first Mech Assualt and a memory card you can install Linux without modding you system then you could ftp all your files off your xbox hdd(including save games) and back them up on you computer.[/QUOTE]

the correct example of how to backup :applause:

[quote name='Abdullah2']my xbox is full of music from cds that got stolen,[/QUOTE]

i think i misinterpreted that.. I thought you stole all the cds and put them on your xbox. lol

lol good one Baron of Hell. I guess ill try this mechassault linux thing, but I don't need xbox live for it do i? or does someone think the music mixer way is easier?thnx

Eventually it will die. However, I have a nearly decade old computer with it's stock 1.6gb hard drive. However I take VERY good care of my equipment... and it's an IBM hard drive, known to be pretty reliable, at least back in the day.

Take good care of that hard drive and it'll last you a good long while, but not forever.

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']If you have the first Mech Assualt and a memory card you can install Linux without modding you system then you could ftp all your files off your xbox hdd(including save games) and back them up on you computer.[/QUOTE]

the guy at gamecrazy said only a certain version of mechassault 1 will work, like you can tell from the number on the disk. is this true? if so which one? also can someone tell me which cable or usb ill need to do the transfer and how to do it exactly, id really appreciate it :)

bread's done
Back