Do I have the Director's Cut of Star Ocean 3?

boyward

CAGiversary!
Feedback
75 (100%)
I have heard that the "director's cut" of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time is a big improvement over what they released in Japan. Strangely, the US seems to have to two different versions of box art floating around. There's the one with the guy holding a sword, and then there's what I have:

SO.jpg

Do I have the "director's cut"?

The two US versions are the same - one is the original boxed packaging and the other GH.

You've the boxed version, without the outer box.

[quote name='eau']The two US versions are the same - one is the original boxed packaging and the other GH.

You've the boxed version, without the outer box.[/quote]

So there was originally a cardboard slip case around the game case?

[quote name='eau']The two US versions are the same - one is the original boxed packaging and the other GH.

You've the boxed version, without the outer box.[/QUOTE]

Yes and in answer to the OPs question, I'm fairly sure that ALL US versions of the game are the Director's Cut of the Japanese version. That's why it was released much later here.

[quote name='boyward']So there was originally a cardboard slip case around the game case?[/quote]

Yeah, with the same/similar art as the dvd cover you have there. Ive never seen this 'guy holding a sword' gh cover you speak of.

The US version is the director's cut. The original version was never released in the US, which is probably a good thing since I seem to remember hearing the original version had some pretty serious bugs in it.

[quote name='Puffa469']Yeah, with the same/similar art as the dvd cover you have there. Ive never seen this 'guy holding a sword' gh cover you speak of.[/quote]

256px-Sotteotbox.jpg

[quote name='Puffa469']Cool! But that pic doesnt have the red 'GREATEST HITS' bar across the top???[/quote]

...which only adds to my confusion. :roll:

[quote name='boyward']...which only adds to my confusion. :roll:[/quote]

I believe all of the US versions are the Directors Cut.
However, regarding the different game versions and the front cover picture-
The one with the main character is holding a sword is the greatest hits version.
The one you currently possess is the original released version that came inside a cardboard box. & the cover picture of the box is the main character holding the sword.

So to clarify -
you don't have - PS2 cover picture - boy holding sword - GH
you have - PS2 cover picture - star ocean title only - original version that was packaged in a cardboard box.

I hope that helps.

That doesnt help at all! lol

I have the original release in the cardboard box and I dont remember any guy holding a sword on the box. I couldve sworn that the box cover art is just the StarOcean logo.

And we still dont know why that GH pic doestn say GH on it. Unless thats a pic of the outer box that I cant seem to remember... lol

Im not retarded, Im at work and its been a looong week. =p

Hope this helps. The cover of the GH version is the same as the cardboard slip case for the non-GH version. However, the cover for the non-GH version is simply the SO3 logo. It looks just like the case in the OP.

Final Answer: ALL of the different packaging for the US version contains the SAME version, the Director's Cut. The original cut was NEVER RELEASED HERE.

[quote name='Puffa469']That doesnt help at all! lol

I have the original release in the cardboard box and I dont remember any guy holding a sword on the box. I couldve sworn that the box cover art is just the StarOcean logo.

And we still dont know why that GH pic doestn say GH on it. Unless thats a pic of the outer box that I cant seem to remember... lol

Im not retarded, Im at work and its been a looong week. =p[/quote]

lol.
Alright -
The outer box has the same pic as the GH (boy holding the sword)

you have the original version - since i have the same set as yours & the game cover only has the star ocean logo on it. You're just missing the box. that's all.

if you want, pm your email addy & i'll foward you some pictures of the outer box.

As for the version w/ the boy picture w/o the GH tag - I haven't seen an actual version of that.

/eats dinner then checks his SOIII box...

aahhhhh, 'I see', said the blind man pissing into the wind. 'Its all coming back to me now.'

:D

bread's done
Back