Do I invest in the DS or the Wii?

xghostsniperx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
With the release of the upcoming Wii (looks great), and another wave of great DS games being released, I'm not sure which console I should really invest in. Both are incredibly innovative, both are (fairly) cheap, and both will have a lot of interesting games.

Right now, I have a DS already. It's the fat version in absoultey TERRIBLE condition--everything works, but there's cracks, scratches, and sticky buttons. The only game I have for it is Phoenix Wright. So naturally, I'd be buying the new DS Lite, which'll cost me $129.

Obviously, the Wii is not out yet, but it should be out in the next two months. Right now, I have no next-gen console. I don't want a 360 or a PS3. I really haven't looked at any particular games at all, however the Wii itself just looks amazing. It'll cost me under $250 (hopefully less).

So, what console do you guys think is worth investing in? I'd rather not spread my money over two consoles.

Now that's a really difficult decision. I kinda want to say the DS though simply because that already has a good library of games out there and there's a lot of stuff on the way. With the Wii, there'll probably be a lull after launch since that happens with absolutely every system when it's released so you'd be left with just the launch games (which admittedly look amazing.) With the DS, you'd have a far bigger selection immediately after buying the system.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Tradse in your DS for the pre-order at EB/Gamestop and then it'll be like $70 or something for a new one. Then save up for the Wii[/QUOTE]

Are they still giving you that much money for trading in a DS towards a DS Lite? If so, I might have to do that myself....

Neither. Videogames are not a hedge against inflation. SLAP.

That said, I'd say buy a DSLite with the trade in and save for a Wii. The DS is pretty much proven at this point whereas we're all floating on hope from the Wii. DSL is awesome btw.

[quote name='Chacrana']Are they still giving you that much money for trading in a DS towards a DS Lite? If so, I might have to do that myself....[/QUOTE]
Yup, not sure for how long though.

At this point, I'd say pick up a highlight or two on the DS w/ the Lite (Castlevania, Mario Kart, NSMB, Sonic Rush) and not blow all of your money. Hopefully this week we'll know what the Wii is going to cost, and you can make a plan for further investing. Though, at this point, you KNOW the DS is a great machine (ranks #1 I think in best game system ever in my book, for what it's worth) while the new Wii still has to prove itself. I would go with the sure-thing DS, without trying to exclude the Wii if possible.

If it HAS to be one or the other, at this point, go DS.

Another vote for getting a Black DS Lite. As neat as the Wii sounds, it'll still take a few months for the majority of developers to get ahold of what to do with the quirky little system. By that time, first generation Wii games will have dropped in price a bit and you can snag a bunch of them on the cheap.

Besides, have you looked at what's coming out for the DS in the next few months? fucking amazing line up.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Dont get another DS if you're just gonna treat it like shit.[/quote]

I guess my post implied that I did treat it like shit. However, I actually got it from a thrift store for $10. Thought it was a good deal.

Well the NDS is great right now and getting better. Whats killing me right now is StarFox DS and Mario Kart DS. I don'tknow about any emulators but the PSP is winning that battle.

The Wii is going to be good but just another system. The bigger question is will it play GCN games and can we link up without a Nintendo server.

Just keep your old DS, they arnt nearly as good as the Lites, but you can live with it. Get the Wii and Zelda. It should take you long enough to beat that game that you can save up your money for whatever you want next.

My DS is also my favorite system.

Even though I don't have a DS yet. I'm with the crowd of trading in the DS and using the credit towards a DSlite. If you have any non sports games, you could also pad the credit that way with the "trade 3 games for an extra $10 credit" deal going on at GS/EB

I'd trade the DS for a DS Lite now and pick up the Wii at launch. If you don't want more than one console to buy games for, just pick the one you think you'll use more. Right now there's a bigger selection of games for the DS, and they're less expensive than the Wii games will be.

Yeah I've resisted buying the DS Lite because the Wii is coming out. A little too much Nintendo overload there for me. And I'm sure the Wii will have more than enough games for me to play as it is.

It just depends on whether or not you prefer handheld or console gaming. I'd go with a DS lite if I had to pick, but that's just because I am so busy I don't have much time to sit in front of the TV to play games for hours these days. (I'm buying a Wii as soon as it's released, though. :D )

bread's done
Back