Do PC codes expire? Can game transfer to new computer?

ferris182

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,

I am a nubie PC gamer.

I bought a bunch of brand new PC games lately and haven't opened them yet because I am getting a new PC next year.

The games include: Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, Diablo And Starcraft battlechests, Civilization 5 and Witcher 1.

Do these codes expire?

Also, if I register the games on my current PC, can I use the game on my new computer when I get it next year?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

First things first, the codes should not expire unless explicitly noted. That said, I've never heard of a code for a game expiring.

Second, you'll most likely have to register them with a specific service like Origin for ME3, DA2, or Battle.Net for Diablo and Starcraft. Those services tie the key to your account, which will allow you to download them to whatever PC you'd like as many times as you like. In order to play the games, you just have to log-in to your Origin/Battle.Net/etc... accounts.

Yeah, ME3 and DA2 can be registered on Origin, Battle.net for Diablo and Starcraft, The Witcher can be registered on GOG and Civ 5 is a Steamworks game.

So you should be able to re-download all of those.

For the most part, no, most major services like EA, Blizzard and Steam will not expire their keys or downloads but there may be a few others that do. Most notably Digital River, which Ubisoft still uses for their digital download sales, and BMT Micro which a lot of indies use.

ME/DA/Diablo/Civ should all be fine though. Having said that, I know Origin will let you activate keys via the web and I believe Blizzard does too. Steam doesn't but as long as you have the client installed, even if it's on a crappy old computer that can't run games well, you can activate it.

If you can, you might as well activate it now as long as you're sure you want the game and won't ever want to trade the key away. I always try and activate my keys right away even if I know I won't play them for a while but I'm also a bit of a digital hoarder. :p

Should I just register each one of the games now and download again later when I get my new computer?

Or should I just wait and open/register the games later?

Sorry, responding late to this. It really shouldn't matter when you register if it's a reliable service. It's up to you. Some people prefer to hold onto codes until they want to play the game in case they change their mind and want to sell/trade it or they get it as a gift from someone else etc.

Personally, I just register all mine as soon as I get them because it's easier for me that way than to have to keep track of them all but if you just have a few that really isn't much of an issue.

bread's done
Back