Do people really get these AWESOME deals on CL?

gpgorbosjr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So I need College tuition money, and I've been trying to sell some games on Craigslist....

And here are the interactions I've had the last few days.....and I wouldn't be surprised to see the people respond to this thread because they def must be CAG'ers......

One person was looking for OG Xbox games. I have a lot in pretty much like new condition so offered him up my list.....he chose...

-KOTOR
-KOTOR 2
-Jedi Academy
-Thief: Deadly Shadows
-Deus Ex (forget the subtitle)
-Medal of Honor Frontline
-Ghost Recon: Island Thunder
-Ghost Recon 2: Summit Strike

All Vanilla copies, complete in box with the exception of Thief (no manual).

His offer: $26
My counter-offer: $35 (I'm quite sure the Star Wars titles alone are worth $35).

Outcome: No Deal. After asking me to take pictures and send them to prove they are mint condition (and me doing a half ass job of it...come and see the games!) he never responds.

Woke up this morning to the following texts:

1. $5 each for Forza Horizons, Halo 4 and Borderlands 2.
2. $20 for Halo 4....counter offer $30....no deal.

Then another guy wanted COD 4, MW2, WAW, BO (MW2 and BO with the DLC vouchers), Rage, Spec Ops, Resident Evil 5, Majin, Arkham Asylum GOTY, Left 4 Dead. I said $70. Keep in mind these are all perfect condition with the DLC included, he said that was too much, RE5 is a $4.99 game, and he regularly gets $2 a game for 360 games.....

So, are these really the prices people are getting for shit? I need to stop buying games from stores and just lurk CL apparently.

It can happen. I got a GBA SP/SNES/Genesis/Saturn with 3 SNES games and 5 Saturn games for 28.00 last year. It isn't normal though.

Yes, sometimes you can get great deals.
What I always keep in mind on a lower priced game is the cost in gas to go to a person's house or meeting spot to buy...
Many times it's worth spending $5-$10 more on EBay or Amazon and have it shipped right to my house...

For a single game on craigs, it should be a very good deal....

craigs is more where you "dump" stuff cheap, not where you "make money".

One important thing when you sell on Craigslist is to never try and sell using eBay prices, also take the time to take into account how much you take home if you would sell it on eBay and use that as a base. People are going to lowball you left and right, if you have a set price in mind for certain games list that price, remember a lot of the people your going to get on Craigslist are resellers and people trying to get a good deal.

Check the CL thread. I got an original Xbox with 10 games for $30 the other day. It's not the norm, but people on criagslist either don't know their values or are there to get something from the people who don't know their values :V

[quote name='skiizim']One important thing when you sell on Craigslist is to never try and sell using eBay prices, also take the time to take into account how much you take home if you would sell it on eBay and use that as a base. People are going to lowball you left and right, if you have a set price in mind for certain games list that price, remember a lot of the people your going to get on Craigslist are resellers and people trying to get a good deal.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't even thinking eBay prices. I was going in willing to compromise on price if it helped me get some tuition money. But $20 for Halo 4 and $5 for CIB KOTOR isn't even going to help me that much.....

and if I was going to sell it at those prices I could have friends lined up at the door already.

I def gotta start SUPER-lowballing people on Craigslist though. I started doing it recently with phones and get no responses though.

The best though:

I'm list a phone I have on CL to trade for ANOTHER phone and $50......
guy offers me a phone and $25....
I say no.
He asks how much for the phone alone.
I say $120.
He says $90.
I say no.
He texts me the NEXT day and says $80.
I'm like wtf? NO! Why don't you trade me the phone and $40?
He says he doesn't have $40.
I'm like WTF how can you offer me $80 but don't have $40?

I've actually found local facebook buy/sell/trade groups to be where it's at as far as getting deals. I've been getting new releases for 15-20 dollars. Plus, no flagging, no people from far away, ability for feedback on the person, it's been really good all around.

It's all about finding motivated sellers. If I know there's a guy out there selling a game for a certain amount if I just cast a wider net, no way am I going to pay a higher price, you know?

About a month ago I had a list of all the games I was selling on CL. A guy emailed me saying he has a store so he can get high retail prices and wanted to buy everything I had for sale (keep in mind - I'm a reseller and have a few thousand games, a few dozen systems, 3/4 a pallet of stuck tray/Open Disc error 360s etc.)

I added everything up based on what I was looking for on them and then took off 25% figuring that was a fair percentage for buying in such bulk and he can mark it all higher than I price it (locally I do VG pricechart average minus 20%) Came up to $17,460, so I emailed him that and how I got to that number. His response? $6,500. Said he pays $2 each for Xbox 360 or PS3 games, $1 each for Wii or PS2, and 50 cents each for any portable or cartridge game. For systems he pays $15 for complete working Playstation 3, $10 for complete working Xbox 360s, and $5 for every other system except for Playstation, Dreamcast and Genesis which are $1 each. Broken systems he takes as donations only.

When I told him no thank you he said he'd throw me a bone and at least take all the Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4, Black Ops 2, and misc other new releases I had for $2 each.

I can't imagine how he gets anyone to sell him stuff when even Gamestop will pay more. Only a Pawn Shop buys stuff that cheap but I don't think they really actively go out hunting for stuff.

[quote name='ferant316']About a month ago I had a list of all the games I was selling on CL. A guy emailed me saying he has a store so he can get high retail prices and wanted to buy everything I had for sale (keep in mind - I'm a reseller and have a few thousand games, a few dozen systems, 3/4 a pallet of stuck tray/Open Disc error 360s etc.)

I added everything up based on what I was looking for on them and then took off 25% figuring that was a fair percentage for buying in such bulk and he can mark it all higher than I price it (locally I do VG pricechart average minus 20%) Came up to $17,460, so I emailed him that and how I got to that number. His response? $6,500. Said he pays $2 each for Xbox 360 or PS3 games, $1 each for Wii or PS2, and 50 cents each for any portable or cartridge game. For systems he pays $15 for complete working Playstation 3, $10 for complete working Xbox 360s, and $5 for every other system except for Playstation, Dreamcast and Genesis which are $1 each. Broken systems he takes as donations only.

When I told him no thank you he said he'd throw me a bone and at least take all the Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4, Black Ops 2, and misc other new releases I had for $2 each.

I can't imagine how he gets anyone to sell him stuff when even Gamestop will pay more. Only a Pawn Shop buys stuff that cheap but I don't think they really actively go out hunting for stuff.[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head with the Gamestop analogy!

People tell me they'll buy games from me for less than Gamestop prices if I got CASH from them not trade in and on top of that act like I'm doing them a favor!

Guy asked me to bring 100 games once. Told me like a dollar a game, said that's what he does with everyone one. Was like F u wasting my time. I cancelled a deal today with a guy for $45 even though I need the money just because I couldn't stomach what I was giving up for the price.

And yet, I have had experiences where I message someone asking for a copy of Alice for the 360. They ask $20, I say I can get it on Amazon NEW for $20 how about $10?.....they say idc what you can get it for go buy it from them then I paid $30.......CL frustrates me to NO END.

I only still stick with it because I can buy/trade phones like a champ on there.

Craigslist is the deseased underbelly of the videogame world, ppl thinking a wii "barely used" is $300, nobody REALLY gets new games for $2, ppl either lieing or got a gullible grandma one time. If you want a fair price it pains me to say but go through ebay, even after fees most ppl are trying to flip from CL so you wont get a good price, ebay atleast has more traffic so less people able to lowball.

bread's done
Back