Do you actually bother with XBLA games anymore?

dave17

CAGiversary!
At first I thought the arcade games were neat, I bought a few. I got worms cause I liked it when I played it like 10 years ago, I also got eets chowdown and bomberman. They cost me 10$ each and I think they kept me interested for up to 2 hours each, which is pretty crap value, so I've just given on the xbla games and have no interest in them. I'll play a demo every once in the while when I need to find something to do for 10 minutes, but that's all.

Now that the 360 has been around for some time, some of the older titles are getting very cheap and it's not that hard to find games for 10$. I dont see much point in arcade games, unless they somehow COMPLETELY blow you away, since now you can get a full (but older) game for basically the same price and it'll most likely keep you busy for a lot longer. And you can always give it to a friend or trade it back in since you have a physical copy. And you can get 4x the nerd points. I mean, would you rather buy Tomb Raider Legend or this week's mediocre arcade game?

Past full version games will just get cheaper and cheaper while the arcade games will be fixed at 10$, so I dont see how xbla expects to do well, at least with the cheap/smart consumers.

Actually, that's one of the few games that might be worth buying, but I have on the DS already. It works well on a portable, but who knows if it'll keep my interest when on the 360.

i myself am a fan of a decent amount of live's game.

you do bring up a very good point though as the system is older and games are getting cheaper. i would like to see microsoft drop the price on some of the live games. i think it would be smart for them. i would buy some of the older titles if they dropped from 800 too 400 points or so.

Symphony of the Night is a must have...
Doom...
MK3..
After that... eh.
Really depends if you wanna play the game or not... I think its a nice feature, and would buy something if I thought I was gonna play it. Thing is a lot of the older games that Id want, I have with GC or Xbox..

I bought TMNT, Castlevania, Bomberman, then my first 360 died. I bought the two free games. I haven't bought one until now when I got Carcassone for free. I didn't take up the DRM issue with Microsoft, so I don't know if I can just re-download them and I'd get the offline rights to them again or not. It SEEMS like I can (little checkmarks are there), but who knows.

There hasn't really been anything of quality lately. It's expensive and underwhelming.

After getting Screwdived and Shreked on this week, I'm a bit more hesitant.

This had to be the two worst releases in Marketplace history. Still, I really enjoyed E4 recently.

no, there are so many good games out for the 360 right now, i dont waste my time playing arcade games.

some of them are cool, but things that were fun on the genesis 10 years ago just arnt anymore.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']im playing puzzle quest right now[/QUOTE]

I second that... one of the best investments I made in XBLA. :)

I don't have it for DS or PSP, so it's new to me. :)

More generally,

...I play lots of Uno (to unwind from the day... no, single player)... and lots of Bankshot Billiards, because it's just fun. ;)

I've got 17. I certainly regret some (Fatal Fury Special), I'd say that the ones I love (Catan, Puzzle Quest, Jetpac Refuelled etc.) outweigh the ones I don't love.

Own them all. Only regret buying Novadrome and Shrek N Roll. Novadrome because its a turd. Shrek N Roll because its a super turd.

Value doesn't factor in it for me. There are weeks when I can't afford to spend hours playing any game and the arcade is an excellent companion during those times.

Lately there are just far too many great retail games to worry about Arcade games. I love arcade, but generally they are a good time sink when there is nothing else to play.

I only buy the top-tier ones...which is to say probably less than I can count on one hand per year based on Microsoft's fucked up certification process. I'm still waiting for Castle Crashers and Ikaruga is still MIA. Seems like for every good game announced you have to wait through 30-40 shitty games that seem to have a much easier and faster time from the point of announcement to the appearance on the Marketplace.

The only ones I bought were Bomberman an TMNT. Both I would say only entertained me for a few hours each (Bomberman lasted longer). The other games (Bankshot, Robotron 2428, Joust, Hexic, Carres w.e that game was free today, Aegis Wings, that honda game) I got for free and last a little while until I get bored with them.

I am looking forward to Castle Crashers...

Ive purchased a handful. SOTN, Bomberman, E4. And a few of the ones that went on sale, like Gauntlet. I also bought the arcade unplugged disc.

I would buy more of them, if they were a little cheaper. Sooo many of those $10 games would be instant purchases for me if they were $5. I loved the demo of Exit, but Im not paying $10 for it. I'd also love the Bomberman expansion stuff, but its just not worth the money. Silly hats and accessories dont make me a better Bomberman player.

I'd also never pay more than $10 for DLC. I loved Puzzlequest on the DS, and if it was $10 on Live, I'd be playing thru it again. But anything over $10 is too much for what is essentially a long term rental. You dont own your XBLA games, you cant resell them, or lend them to friends, or even transfer them properly to a new 360.

That said, I like the idea of these smaller, simpler games. Theres enough variety there that anyone should be able to find something they like. I just hope they have more sales and freebies in the future.

I have 36, but I didn't pay for them. If I were actually paying I might have like 10. There are plenty of good games, but a lot of them aren't worth $10.

i think the puzzle games are fun, all the ones i payed for were technically free though cuz i won a crap ton of M$ points off the tropicana deal, (4400 or so) but i also really like bomberman, carcassonne is free right now, and i enjoy that one, also aegis wing is free and if you like the old scrolling plane shooters, its great. just nice to play something different if you get bored of whatevers in the tray at the moment. ooh and if you like dumpster diving, yaris is free, even thought it's garbage.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']Lately there are just far too many great retail games to worry about Arcade games. I love arcade, but generally they are a good time sink when there is nothing else to play.[/quote]

QFT. Once February hits, I'll go back to some of my arcade games to kill time before GTA 4. For now, its on to the big retail hitters. They're my number one stunners.

i have a few myself...but since i got a wii..and i love the VC..id rather spend money on that..than the XLBA stuff...once Ikaruga makes its appearance..ill go buy that.

[quote name='terribledeli']Own them all.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

you sir have wasted a great deal of money. I have like 50 or something but I passed on many of the crappy ones like novadrome and some i dont even bother considering (SHREK AND ROLL?)

I have a few, but as previously said the retail games are more interesting. The arcade games are good when bored. I like Marble Blast a lot though as cheesy as it is at times and I still will play Hexic occasionally.

I also downloaded Sonic and Sonic 2, for nostalgias sake. Luckily those were free because I don't think they've aged particularly well.

The way I look at it, considering you never actually own any of these, paying actual money for them is a complete waste unless you sink hours upon hours into them. I have 5 or 6 now, all of which I got for free. Looking back, the only one I would actually be willing to pay for is SOTN. The rest are just little time killers that consume $5 or 10 at a time, when you can buy a good clearance game at the same price.

I don't like the idea of not physically owning copies of them. I've only got the free games (Poker, Hexic, Carcassone). I'll pick up an arcade disc if I can find a nice mix.

I havent had one peak my interest. They all seem so dull. I'm really hoping they would do risk because me and my friends always want to play but don't want to set up the board.

Edit-Wow, somehow I have 12 of them though.

The last one I bought was E4, but I play them all the time. XBLA was one of my bigger reasons for buying the system.

Yea I love the arcade games, its a good system if you don't have a lot of time or you're taking a break from your heavy hitters. I've got a number of em, prob below 10.

I've tried the trials of every single XBLA game and I haven't found a single one worth the asking price. I have two 1600 point cards that I got for $20 total a while back but I can't find anything good to spend them on.

XBLA will never get old because the games on it are designed to be very pick up and play, and very casual. Most of the games I can play with my wife are on XBLA.

Even with 4 or 5 new AAA full retail titles, sometimes I just crave a simple little XBLA game in between. I love their simplicity and their casual nature.

They fill a hole that most retail games can't provide.

I only buy ones that I really like. Usually those are ports from the PSP like E4 and Luminies. Those are worth it to me. But since I'm a CAG I keep my eyes open for deals on Points cards.

That makes buying the games easier to do. And you can demo all of them so there has to be at least 1 or 2 you think are good enough to buy.

I can't wait till HD Rez comes out.

Yes, Since carcassone was free yesterday (And still is today) I will be playing it because it is FUN! :)

I have about 6 or so games I love the XBL Arcade. But I guess its just me, but they do put out some crappy games Screwjumper is teh meh to me but I might grip up word puzzle. I try to get games that are alil simple because my wife plays with me alot.

Once I decided to buy Puzzle Quest I started playing more arcade games than console games. With Puzzle Fighter, Sonic 2, and a couple others already sitting on my HD I gained a new appreciation for these games. Now that the big console titles are here I'd say I'm more 50/50 with my playtime, but that may once again change.

I generally don't play XBLA that much. I believe I bought a few, I know my wife liked some at the time (Jewel Quest and Cloning Clyde). But besides that, games I actually bought are slim. I think TMNT is one....I may get a few more, just looking for something I really like.

There's a lot of crappy games on XBLA, but there's a lot of crappy games in retail too. Believe it or not, I actually bought my 360 because of a Live Arcade title (UMK3). And I'm still actively playing the game online a year later, so it was definitely worth it! It's hard to go wrong when they take one of your favorite games/franchises of yesteryear and add online play. So anyone who's a fan of Mortal Kombat, Puzzle Fighter, Sonic 2, Bomberman, TMNT, Streets of Rage, Street Fighter, etc. has very little to complain about!

And seriously, it's no big deal when a week goes by without a AAA arcade title coming out. I barely have time to play even a fraction of the games I own, so an off week ain't a tragedy.

[quote name='smellhasreturned']Pacman CE and Geometry Wars are still amazing[/quote]

Agreed. I spend more time on Pac Man CE than any of my other 360 games lately.

Not much anymore. Many of the good stuff, I already own on PSP or in a classical compilation. Bomberman Live, Geometry Wars, and UNO rock, but outside of that, I just don't care to buy stuff. The demos don't really do much to convince me. I just stick to mostly retail games on my 360.

I don't play many but I love: TMNT, E4 quite often. I liked Geo Wars and Zuma but it just takes to long to play them at this point for me.

I actually hate the whole DRM/no physical media thing, but Microsoft kinda forced my hand when they put UMK3 on live :p
Now I have to sacrifice my principles every time I play these games, and a small part of me dies inside.

Oh well, at least the whole "MS Points" thing allows for numerous ways to cheat the system. And the lazy side of me kinda likes having all the arcade games right there on the hard drive.

bread's done
Back