Do you believe in aliens?

ighosty

CAGiversary!
Do you believe in aliens?
I have always thought that there are other life forms somewhere in the universe. With the magnitude of the universe and the relatively recent discovery of planets being common around stars, it seems statistically plausible and likely that some type of life has developed on other planets. If you are more interested go look up drakes equation and calculate for yourself what the likelihood of aliens existing is.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Other lifeforms somewhere in the entire universe? Yes. Little green men anal probing hillbillies on a lonley stretch of road? No.[/QUOTE]

Ill second that. Theres no reason why there wouldnt be any form of life anywhere besides earth. Do I think they ever crash landed here or sought out our ignorant to do testing on? Not a chance.

How would there not be? Are people so close minded that they actually think that Earth is the only home to life in the universe? Our solar system is a microscopic dot in one of the arms of the milky way galaxy which is a microscopic dot in the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way

The stellar disk of the Milky Way galaxy is approximately 100,000 light years in diameter, and is believed to be, on average, about 1,000 light years thick.[8] It is estimated to contain at least 200 billion stars[9] and possibly up to 400 billion stars,[10] the exact figure depending on the number of very low-mass stars, which is highly uncertain. Extending beyond the stellar disk is a much thicker disk of gas. Recent observations indicate that the gaseous disk of the Milky Way has a thickness of around 12,000 light years - twice the previously accepted value.[11] As a guide to the relative physical scale of the Milky Way, if it were reduced to 130 km (80 mi) in diameter, the Solar System would be a mere 2 mm (0.08 inches) in width.

the Milky Way is one of billions of galaxies in the observable universe,[4]

we are fucking miniscule...this universe is not reserved for a microscopic planet full of idiots

Yep. Given how long it takes to travel around space with present technology, we may never discover other intelligent life, but I'm sure they're out there. Somewhere. Over the rainbow. Way up high.

Not only do I believe extraterrestrial life might exist I think it has to exist, whether it be simple bacteria. Having said that, do I believe anything has visited Earth? Absolutely not.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Other lifeforms somewhere in the entire universe? Yes. Little green men anal probing hillbillies on a lonley stretch of road? No.[/quote]
QTF. /endthread

Of course I do, there's no way that we're alone in the universe...but if we were, that's a pretty emo outlook on the universes.

Why is it totally unreasonable to think our planet might have been visited? Just because we can't figure a way across the vastness of space doesn't mean someone else hasn't. (And don't give me the "it's physically impossible blah, blah blah..." Ten thousand years ago fire was impossible, 150 years ago flight was impossible, heck, radio and televison would've seemed like magic to people 100 years ago!)

[quote name='chasemurata']Yep. Given how long it takes to travel around space with present technology, we may never discover other intelligent life, but I'm sure they're out there. Somewhere. Over the rainbow. Way up high.[/quote]
Given how large the universe is (at least 93 billion light years across), we will most likely not even hear any type of light messages from anything.

Another thing to add is that life may exist, and most likley does, but that does not guarantee that the life is intelligent in anyway or has the means to communicate. Thus man kind holds a slim chance of finding them or contacting them, but with the increasing development of technology we may develop techniques to spread our view further from our galaxy.

[quote name='pacifickarma']heck, radio would've seemed like magic to people 100 years ago!)[/QUOTE]

:lol:Radio was discovered in the late 1800's. pay more attention in school.

Yes. The universe is too big for their not to be more life out there.

I don't necessarily by UFOs, abductions etc. Maybe no aliens have visited earth, but there just has to be other life out there somewhere.

well, its been said by people that care more about it then I do that if there are aliens, they would be insect-like (assuming of course they are that evolved). I think there are aliens out there somewhere, and I am sure there has to be intelligent life out there, but who really knows?

George Lucas knows. He even made documentaries about it. Course, that was a long time ago... :lol:

[quote name='Deadpool']:lol:Radio was discovered in the late 1800's. pay more attention in school.[/QUOTE]

Sorry... Radio was discovered around 100 years ago. Geez! (And I'll bet your average Joe Six-Pack didn't have a radio in his house in the late 1800s, amirite?)

UFO sightings are crap. Its always some random farmer in some random state that "sees" it and reports it. Why dont these dam UFO's like, land on 2nd base during a Yankee game or something? then all the cameras would show it up and stuff.

I have absolutely no doubt that life, in many forms, intelligent and otherwise, exists elsewhere in the universe. I'd expect that you could find it in our galaxy and possibly our solar system(microorganisms at least). However, I doubt that other forms of life have visited our planet in recent history.

There def. out there. Its only a matter of when we get are greedy hands on some physical evidence. damn government keeps taking everything for themselves.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']Why dont these dam UFO's like, land on 2nd base during a Yankee game or something? then all the cameras would show it up and stuff.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they wouldn't want us to know yet? Some sort of Prime Directive, yada yada yada.

I voted "Yes" because I'm crazy, because there just has to be some, and because we need someone to save us from ourselves. Sounding like Keith David when speaking is a bonus.

People want to talk about the "hubris" of assuming we're the only intelligent life in the universe; what about the hubris of assuming intelligence is necessarily a desirable evolutionary trait? If there are non-terrestrial lifeforms out there (and that's a mighty big "if") they're far, FAR, FAR more likely to be the equivalent of Earthly bacteria or viruses -- which, frankly, are far more successful organisms than humans -- than they are to be extras from a Whitley Streiber novel.

[quote name='trq']People want to talk about the "hubris" of assuming we're the only intelligent life in the universe; what about the hubris of assuming intelligence is necessarily a desirable evolutionary trait? If there are non-terrestrial lifeforms out there (and that's a mighty big "if") they're far, FAR, FAR more likely to be the equivalent of Earthly bacteria or viruses -- which, frankly, are far more successful organisms than humans -- than they are to be extras from a Whitley Streiber novel.[/quote]

Some bacteria or unicellular organisms are the most likely organisms to exist outside of earth, but the talk stems to intelligent life, because that would imply a possible means of communication with them. I don't think that we will notice bacteria growing on a planet 9 million light years away, but if some life know the laws of physics and had developed some type of light communication then we might notice them.

Another interesting thing to notice that is if life exist some where else, and they had means of light communication then we would only notice them years after they had developed or used it. Let say they exist 9 million light years away, if we notice some "unusual" light coming from a planet and suspect life that would mean around 9 million years ago they developed light communication. Does that mean they are still around, have they survived for 9 million years? Have they grown, evolved, gone to other planets? 9 million years give ample time for many factors to come into whey we can conclude about the organism.

Also, could life outside of earth exist without being carbon based? The planet an organism could have grown on would have a vastly different environment and may lead to a whole new concept of biological life.

Seriously, if you don't believe that there are other lifeforms out there, you're a narrow-minded egotistical idiot. Whenever this comes up in discussion, if I can't convince someone within ten minutes that their has to be other lifeforms out there...I just can't look at that person the same. I can't even communicate with them on the same level because everything that they think/say has just lost all credibility in my opinion.

Kind of like this story:

At my parent's house, my step-father was in the backyard yesterday with my mother and their new puppy German Shepherd. They saw a snake (note that we don't see snakes much around where we live), so my mom was startled and afraid that it would attack the puppy. The snake was a two-foot long garden snake. My step-father apparently ran over to the snake, thinking he was some kind of super-hero, and put a few chops into it with a garden hoe or something. Then my mom tells me about it and says to be careful if I go in the backyard, because a snake is in a bucket back there and my step-father told her that snakes don't die until the sun comes down. lol I couldn't believe it...and he honestly believes that old wives' tale...like snakes are supernatural. Anyways, I don't see how anything he says can have any credibility after that. I'd honestly have to double-check outside if he were to tell me that the grass is green.

By the way, I don't necessarily believe that aliens are little green men with big heads and eyes or are terrifying creatures. That said, there is enough space out there that it isn't hard to believe that in some galaxy far away, a species exists that is green with big heads....maybe farther away a species that is green with small heads....maybe no heads....maybe red....maybe nothing like we can even imagine. There are creatures on this planet that we have yet to discover because of our limitations and their limitations (think deep sea). The possibilities are endless....as far as we know....space doesn't end....then again, we could just be ants in a locker somewhere. ;)

Say what you will, but I have had my own experiences with sightings and such. I am not sure that what I witnessed was from outer space, or that it was alien, but I know that it has followed me since I was a child, and has been cemented by multiple occurrences that have followed.

I grew up in a shitty part of NJ, and I'm not a yokel. I do my best not to lie, have a family, and work for the military. I have never made claims or really talked about what I've witnessed, nor will I here. It's really my experience, and I only trust myself.

Instead of stating the obvious, about rednecks on dirt roads, and revealing your internet ignorance, do some research. You don't have to post it on here, and if you think it's silly, at least you took the time to hear and see the evidence presented, or just get a laugh. Don't go snooping around UFOlogist blogs and such.... check out news reports from all over the world, in library archives, and sites you deem reputable.

I haven't ever really been into this stuff, because it kind of scares me. Then a personal friend, who is now a surgeon in Peru stirred me up a few months ago, with some video he took of a ton of craft over his city. There seems to be a movement happening maybe because of the LHC firing up next month, or just because of the enormous increase of sightings happening all over the world. The flight administrations has had several press conferences about what and when to release their accounts to the public. At the moment, it's looking like next year.

Whether or not you believe in aliens really has nothing to do with the sightings from around the world, from highly credible agencies and people, although it would be cool if they were from another planet or dimension.

[quote name='drone8888']Say what you will, but I have had my own experiences with sightings and such. I am not sure that what I witnessed was from outer space, or that it was alien, but I know that it has followed me since I was a child, and has been cemented by multiple occurrences that have followed.

I grew up in a shitty part of NJ, and I'm not a yokel. I do my best not to lie, have a family, and work for the military. I have never made claims or really talked about what I've witnessed, nor will I here. It's really my experience, and I only trust myself.

Instead of stating the obvious, about rednecks on dirt roads, and revealing your internet ignorance, do some research. You don't have to post it on here, and if you think it's silly, at least you took the time to hear and see the evidence presented, or just get a laugh. Don't go snooping around UFOlogist blogs and such.... check out news reports from all over the world, in library archives, and sites you deem reputable.

I haven't ever really been into this stuff, because it kind of scares me. Then a personal friend, who is now a surgeon in Peru stirred me up a few months ago, with some video he took of a ton of craft over his city. There seems to be a movement happening maybe because of the LHC firing up next month, or just because of the enormous increase of sightings happening all over the world. The flight administrations has had several press conferences about what and when to release their accounts to the public. At the moment, it's looking like next year.

Whether or not you believe in aliens really has nothing to do with the sightings from around the world, from highly credible agencies and people, although it would be cool if they were from another planet or dimension.[/QUOTE]

It would be cool if you provided some evidence.

bread's done
Back