Do you buy the last copy at Gamestop?

Waverider01

CAG Newbie
Since it's the holiday season, people are swarming into Gamestop buying gifts, me included. I recently had a game held for me for pick up. It was a gift for a friend. When I got their to pick it up, the game ended up being the last copy. As most of you know the last copy at GS is mostly an open copy. On top of that, it will have one of their huge pricing tags on it. I asked the employee if there there is another copy and he said no. I told him never mind, I don't want to buy the game anymore. He rolled hid eyes and had this look like I was some kind of stuck up customer. I was a little annoyed by the employees attitude.

Was I wrong for not buying it? I don't want to give my friend an open copy of a game. It seemed tacky to me. The game may be new, but the case was on the display shelves with some wear and probably residue from the pricing sticker. I ended up going to Best Buy and getting a price match. 

I don't. If I'm paying for a new game I want it to be unopened. Once it's open I don't care what anyone says it's used.
No other legitimate retailer does this, and I'm not sure how gamestop has created this culture that makes any of their employees think it's ok

yes, I will buy open copies if its a really good price. 

For games that are still $30+? No. 

Games $20 and less. Yes

I do not, unless it's a really cheap deal for a game and they are out of sealed copies.

What I hate is how their employees get defensive about it and try to convince you to buy the game. "It's just as new as a sealed one" "this disc has been untouched". They really want you to start thinking of their opened games as "brand new"

I always say the same thing when this happens - "I cannot give a gift that's been opened, sorry"

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't. If I'm paying for a new game I want it to be unopened. Once it's open I don't care what anyone says it's used.
No other legitimate retailer does this, and I'm not sure how gamestop has created this culture that makes any of their employees think it's ok
Took the words right out of my mouth. No retailer will allow you to return an opened game. How the hell can they sell you an opened game as new?

If its a really hard to find game and the price is right, then yes.

OP, in the past Gamestop has offered to reseal the game if I was giving it as a gift.  Not really sure if they do that anymore as that offer was likely during the PS2/PS3 days.  May be worth asking them though.

If its a really hard to find game and the price is right, then yes.

OP, in the past Gamestop has offered to reseal the game if I was giving it as a gift. Not really sure if they do that anymore as that offer was likely during the PS2/PS3 days. May be worth asking them though.
When I told the GS employee that it was a going to be a gift, he didn't tell me there was an option to have it shrink wrapped. So either he's just lazy or the option doesn't exist at that location.

Then why would you come and post in this thread?
He asked a general question so I gave him a general answer. Do you buy the last copy at Gamestop?
I dont buy anything at Gamestop. I am assuming with the expletive deleted, you would be more apt to accept my reply? I assume you do provide Gamestop with your hard-earned cash. I, my affluent friend, do not.

To be fair as DarthPwner's answer is concerned, plenty of people don't shop at Gamestop for various reasons. Just like people won't shop at Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc for various reasons. To each his/her own as the saying goes...

Back on topic to answer the OP's question. I won't buy opened "new" games unless it's $20 or less and a game that can be hard to find at other GS stores or local game shops for a lower price.

I make them notate that it was open but still new on the receipt in case a return should be necessary.  If they refuse, I buy something else I wanted and ream them on the survey.  Good thing no one has ever refused  :D/

When I told the GS employee that it was a going to be a gift, he didn't tell me there was an option to have it shrink wrapped. So either he's just lazy or the option doesn't exist at that location.
It used to be that not all of the stores had the machine. I don't remember how long ago it was, but when I wanted a re-shrink once before, I had to take the game to another store with a note from the first store that it was okay to shrink-wrap it.

I will if it is something I plan to play right away, or if I know it's a solid deal with no copy anywhere reasonably close to me.  Otherwise,  I'll pass.

People who do and support it don't understand the difference from something new to used.

Gamestop I believe is in a class action lawsuit about it. I'm sure it's a matter of time before they have more legal issues with it.

The game developers will eventually crack down on retailers. Its like breaking street date on Nintendo items. Nintendo will stop stocking your store if it happens too much. 

When I was much younger I would buy gamestops infamous gutted copies. Usually just in a rush and not patient enough to source it else where.

Nowadays when they try to sell me a gutted copy I refuse them and listen to their stupid ideology of how they still consider it new.

With that said you can also abuse their return policy. By law they have to refund unopened merchandise within 30 days of purchase. Well they sold the game open as new.

While it's not within their policy, most gamestops will actually let you switch out the gutted copy for a sealed one. This is assuming seal on the envelope isn't broken. I had trouble find a sealed copy of Injustice 2 during the BF $15 promo and waited a few wks later until they got a restock and had no trouble swapping it out. 

My problem is they fight you tooth and nail when you say you no longer want the game.

Like you OP, I said I didn't want the game as it was opened. They proceeded to argue that it was "new" blah blah blah. I reiterated that I didn't want it, and explained that I was giving it as a gift and didn't want to gift an open item (didn't say it, but that's tacky imo), to which they said that they could put a sticker on it if it made me feel any better. Denied them again, and after some resistance they begrudgingly obliged.

Now if I'm just gonna boomerang it, it's not worth arguing about. But if I'm keeping it or better yet gifting it, I want a brand spanking new copy.

Also one last note; if the game includes a dlc voucher there is no way I'm buying it if it's open d or the plastic wrap is gone. Who's to say that the employee didn't redeem it, or if the case was left on the shelf some customer didn't take a pic or write down the code already.

IIRC, I could of swore GS got in trouble (or at least called out for it) for selling open games as new years ago. Yet they still do it.
There needs to be a class action. A couple weeks ago I bought a New game off of the website and received basically a preowned copy - no shrinkwrap and there wasn't a circular seal on the side either. Disc also had scuffs.

bread's done
Back