Do you currently like your Job?

HOW do I like it? I don't get what you mean? My favorite time of the day is when I go home. I don't like it. It pays bills, and I put up with it. I put up with these people. These simple, simple people. People who say "DO THANKSGIVING COME ON THURSDAY OR FRIDAY THIS YEAR CUZ WASNT IT WEDNESDAY LAST YEAR".

::SEARCHES FOR NOOSE::

[quote name='lilboo']HOW do I like it? I don't get what you mean? My favorite time of the day is when I go home. I don't like it. It pays bills, and I put up with it. I put up with these people. These simple, simple people. People who say "DO THANKSGIVING COME ON THURSDAY OR FRIDAY THIS YEAR CUZ WASNT IT WEDNESDAY LAST YEAR".

::SEARCHES FOR NOOSE::[/QUOTE]
Bwahahaha, someone just asked me a similar question too: "Is thanksgiving on a Thursday, Friday, or is it the weekend?"

:lol:

I should be looking for new work myself soon. Cart attendant for a big retail chain, or as I call it, whipping boy. Only thing that gets me through the day is my co-workers, but the job itself, ugh. Between the weather and guests just leaving nasty stuff in carts and the bathroom cleaning and everything else, I'm sick of it. Plus, Black Friday is rough as well, more so this year. Between working thanksgiving, and coming in at 12am on BF, I have it figured out that I might get 12 hours sleep tops if I'm lucky combined for a 3 day stretch. The days I don't do carts (also trained in fitting room, guest service, cashier, sales floor), are fine for the most part. But they are few and far between.

If not for job hunting being such a futile thing for me, I'd probably start looking for somewhere else come January.

I can't complain. I work in an office 9 to 5 but I don't really start "working" until 10:30. Then I have lunch from 12:30 to 1:30 and resume "work" at about 2:30. Then I go home at 5.

What do I do during the meantime? Browse CAG of course. :D

[quote name='JStryke']IOnly thing that gets me through the day is my co-workers, but the job itself, ugh. .[/QUOTE]

THIS is all I want. I really don't care what I "do" ..and to an extent "how much I make".... but I NEED, just NEED to somewhat SOMEHOW enjoy the people I have to spend 8 hours a day with. Between this current job (almost a year) and my last job (close to 2 yearS) I have felt SO alone. :cry: I just can't relate to people anymore..and I just want to laugh and like my coworkers...but their idiocy make them so hard to like :cry:

I hated my job that I had for 3 years. I quit this past August and it's been almost 4 months now that I've been searching for another. I just couldn't take it anymore, so I quit before finding something else. I hated waking up knowing where I was going to be for 8~13 hours and I did not have a concise schedule. It was starting to take a toll on my attitude and I was almost always in a bad mood even when I went home.

In those 3 years I only received a raise of 50 cents. For $8.50 an hour it was not worth being so miserable. Never work for a privately owned business, especially when they don't give a damn about you.

I love my job and enjoy the people I work with as well as my bosses. Only downside is it could pay more. Not that it doesn't pay well, just I could always use more money.

I worked some crappy jobs when I was younger that I hated and couldn't last so I don't know how people put up with them for so long.

I could be working for other companies, but right now I am ok with having extra vacation hours, 401K matching and other small perks.

Perhaps when the time is right, I'll finally accept a better opportunity...

I enjoy my job, I just wish it was more challenging and paid more. I have a lot to offer in other fields and feel a little overqualified for what I do, but it's great. I manage the inventories for a few assembly lines for military tanks, primarily the M1 Abrams, M9ACE, and M88RV. I've always been fascinated by tanks, and being able to work around them everyday and see them start from the ground up is very cool. I also enjoy the freedom I have and not having to work under supervision. Being able to listen to podcasts all day is perfect. Getting every federal holiday paid, a relaxed work schedule, ample downtime, and enjoyable coworkers and bosses doesn't hurt either.

up until a month ago, i worked at a bank. i learned a lot of shady things, but aside from that i hated it.
i was a teller. money truly brings out the worst in people and everyday tries your patience. some days, it was alright, and on others, it was BAD.
aside from the regular gripes, there were some days people waited for us outside to tell us off (luckily, that was all, in my case at least)
people would come in just to scream about you, blaming us (the tellers) for the economy, someone threw a rock at my window one time when i was at the drive up, old lady pooped herself at my window and someone puked in my slot (accidental)...once again, not every day, but after i finish school, the job hunt will resume in full force :)

[quote name='greydemise']up until a month ago, i worked at a bank. i learned a lot of shady things, but aside from that i hated it.
i was a teller. money truly brings out the worst in people and everyday tries your patience. some days, it was alright, and on others, it was BAD.
aside from the regular gripes, there were some days people waited for us outside to tell us off (luckily, that was all, in my case at least)
people would come in just to scream about you, blaming us (the tellers) for the economy, someone threw a rock at my window one time when i was at the drive up, old lady pooped herself at my window and someone puked in my slot (accidental)...once again, not every day, but after i finish school, the job hunt will resume in full force :)[/QUOTE]
Wow that's crazy!

Shady deals inside a bank? Tsk tsk to them. You guys better not be stealing our monies. But those are awful customer stories, and I thought I had it bad with lady customers when I used to work clothing retail.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Wow that's crazy!

Shady deals inside a bank? Tsk tsk to them. You guys better not be stealing our monies. But those are awful customer stories, and I thought I had it bad with lady customers when I used to work clothing retail.[/QUOTE]

i've been in retail / people service in all kinds for close to 10 years, hats off to you! :D

clothing retail can get really hairy! i think that was a close second in terms of being tedious. my favorite was fixing a wall of jeans only to watch it get taken apart in minutes.
you do learn how to fold really well though :D

I was just gonna start a similar thread. I am sick of my job. Pay is good, but the co-workers drive me up a wall. I can't relate to them at all. The way the economy is I am hesitant to roll the dice and quit but I sure do feel like it all the time. Oh, the micro managing is the worst of any place I have ever been.

Love mine. I sell wine and don't have to sit in an office all day. The only time it's a bummer is now (around the holidays) lots more hours but at least I'm making more money at the same time.

[quote name='Kendro']I can't complain. I work in an office 9 to 5 but I don't really start "working" until 10:30. Then I have lunch from 12:30 to 1:30 and resume "work" at about 2:30. Then I go home at 5.

What do I do during the meantime? Browse CAG of course. :D[/QUOTE]

for real man I hear ya. its not everyday for me, but that sounds very familliar :bouncy:

[quote name='Kendro']I can't complain. I work in an office 9 to 5 but I don't really start "working" until 10:30. Then I have lunch from 12:30 to 1:30 and resume "work" at about 2:30. Then I go home at 5.

What do I do during the meantime? Browse CAG of course. :D[/QUOTE]

Sounds like my old job, down to the CAG browsing part. Except I got there at 9:10 and leave at 4:55 and got paid 7.5 hours

I am fine with my job as a cart pusher, thats all I do I don't have to clean bathrooms but I do have to clean carts getting rid of trash people throw in them. I am good at this job but I don't plan to stay here forever a job is a job and I recommend not quitting till you know you found one to replace. Also don't quit your job to go occupy some stupid place and wait to be molested by cops with pepper spray.

I "like" my job

I "dislike" some of my "team" members

I "HATE" my hour drive to work and back home.....

I have some really cocky people looking to make themselves look good infront of admins. Uh ok.... so that's why your not doing your job right?

I dig my job, I make enough to keep me happy and the folks I work with are just as hard working as me. I've got plenty of friends in the office and I even get to travel from time to time.

I've got to say I'm doing pretty well. There is always the chance my job will be moved out of state but I figure as long as I keep doing a good job and keep folks happy the company will leave me alone where I am.

I had a nice job for about six years - it wasn't perfect - but it was pretty damn good.

I've been working entry level retail since my layoff in '08 and it's really, really awful.

I've had many interviews, a lot of close calls and "I know I got this one!" scenarios. I just kept fighting, applying, networking, interviewing until now I can only look for a job once in a great while. It's just too depressing.

There's not much to look forward to - but I try to make the best of it. I keep reminding myself that I'm lucky compared to most but even that is starting to wear thin.

If things don't improve for me soon, I'll probably go live in the woods - kinda like Robert Duvall's character in Get Low.

Made the transition from blue collar to white collar about 6 months ago. Took about 3 years longer than expected since the economy tanked right as I was getting out of college. I'm aware I'm an entry level office guy but the starting pay felt like an major increase compared to what I was being paid after 7 years chucking around boxes. Breathing far easier financially than I was last year, but I'm still looking for my openings to climb up. If it's a step up, I'm there swinging for the damn fences.

I absolutely love my job, I don't have to deal with any customers or have to put on a forced smile and look like a tool.

I work sometimes between 13 and 16 hours in a day 7 days a week for a month straight without any sort of breaks or lunchtime, and I couldn't be happier.

The chefs I work with are all awesome people, they know how to have fun and get the job done at the same time. I get to learn and do a variety of things in a single day. I've been butchering whole lambs that weigh anywhere for 300 to 400 lbs for 3 weeks straight and I could fabricate a whole carcass in less than 10 mins!

I eat some of the most amazing foods everyday for free, meet famous chefs and amazing people, get to go to crazy awesome events and parties (to cook though...still fun!)

Im always excited to go to work.

[quote name='Broseph']I've been working entry level retail since my layoff in '08 and it's really, really awful.
[/QUOTE]

Good God. You must have the patience of a saint. I worked retail for 6 months before I got fired for calling someone a cunt.

[quote name='Survivalism']Good God. You must have the patience of a saint. I worked retail for 6 months before I got fired for calling someone a cunt.[/QUOTE]

I'm good with people and I do have an uncommon amount of patience. I get comments about it all the time. Frankly, I see it as a curse.

My patience does have limits though - when I flip out, I flip out hard. It takes a lot to bring that out though and that's what makes it so effective when I do.

I think some of my coworkers are genuinely afraid of me, which is fine because so many of them are worthless pieces of shit.

I think it was Martin Short who said: "Beware the fury of a patient man" but I could be a little off there.

Once I'm debt free in March I swear to God I'm getting out.

I work in the frozen department at a grocery store (until I figure out what I want to do). They pay me more than they should for the work I do and I like the majority of the people I work with, so I can't complain. It does get a little boring sometimes, but then again, what job doesn't?

I'm currently a sophomore in college, and I work delivering pizzas. It's really nice, I get 7.40 an hour plus tips, and the pizza place provides its own car. Usually after tips I make around $12-$18 an hour.

Of course, once I get my math degree, I hope to find a job working with numbers (obviously). I live in Minot, where the oil boom is going on, so if I could get a job with an oil company doing analysis I would be set.

I'm a consultant. It's okay pay (after the hours you spend doing your job for 'em, it's hardly bragworthy, though), but I despise every minute of it. Companies are so stupid it's hard to imagine they remain in business.

After a bit more time under my belt with this company it's off to grad school for an MBA or masters in information systems, after which hopefully I can get a job doing decent work or at least find a job that's not easily 60+ hours/week.

I realize this doesn't sound bad, but it's getting to the point where I feel physically sick every Monday.

I really like my job. I work as an engineer in the aerospace industry. Pay isn't the best and its not exactly what I wanted to do, but it close enough and its great experience.

Love my job. While I have co-workers, I get very little interaction with them. I am a field service engineer who works on gas analyzers (chromatographs and photometers mostly), at whatever location my company sends me to, and the work also involves computer networking at times.

I have a chemical engineering degree, and sometimes feel like I'm not putting it to good enough use. However I'm comfortable with my pay/benefits vs the work I'm doing, and it's awesome to be able to routinely fix problems for customers and make them happy (ie play the hero).

The best part of the job can be the worst though. I travel for work majority of the time (I work from home essentially, as the office is 5hrs away), so it's cool to go new places and not work in a cube farm or the same place every day. However, only getting to sleep in my own bed like 8 times in any given month and living out of a suitcase can stink at times. Luckily I can get some down time (like the past two weeks) where I just do technical phone support from my house and can play games or watch movies or whatever during the day.

I had a job for a year and a half that I started out liking but began to hate. I got a new job now and I love it, I like the people, the bosses and the environment. The thing that makes the job so good for me is that the other people I work with are all nice, hard working, intelligent people. Nothing worse then working with morons.

Overall my job is alright, I work overnight as a Team Leader for a big retail chain. I got promoted back in July and before that I was just a regular Team member. There are nights where things get stressful, but after the holidays it'll be way easier. The pay is alright and right now I'm just looking to gain some supervisor experience and hopefully land a management position somewhere else.

This is a problem most people have. But I don't have this problem. In my 17 years of working ALL KINDS of jobs(video store, plastics factory, purchasing/receiving/shipping, filing, data entry, banking, refurbishing POS systems for Best Buy), I will tell you that I looked forward to going to each of those jobs, except for one: working in an 80 degree factory when I was working my way through college. It was tedious, mind-melting work, which I didn't mind, but it was very hot all day, and people were constantly yelling at me.

My tip of working for 17 years. Get along with your co-workers. If they ask you to do something, even if they're not your boss, do it and make them your friend. They may be assholes, but before long you'll be their boss. Be patient. Be everybody's bitch at first. Don't be afraid of looking the fool and stupid. It happens to everybody. Be polite, and do the best job you can do and things will eventually work out for you.

For those of you in college. Study what your passion is, and the rest will be taken care of. For those of you not in college, or can't afford it, don't worry - be patient. Experience counts for something too. Remember - there's no thing as a dead-end job; only dead-end people.

I quit my job about 3 weeks ago. Too much stress and anxiety; I was getting sick every few weeks. I love living in Massachusetts near my family but I miss the job I had when I lived in Ohio. I thought this job was going to be similar to my old job, but it wasn't; it was just more of the same public accounting BS I was trying so hard to stay away from. Add in the professional and ethical issues I had with the company and I knew I had to go.

As of right now I am taking a break so I can get my health in order, and then start looking for a job. Maybe even just part-time at first. My husband makes a good middle-class salary that more than covers our expenses and he has been very supportive and wants me to get help before I start looking for a new job. I'm extremely fortunate to have such a safety net, I know most people don't and are stuck in jobs they can't stand.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I quit my job about 3 weeks ago. Too much stress and anxiety; I was getting sick every few weeks. I love living in Massachusetts near my family but I miss the job I had when I lived in Ohio. I thought this job was going to be similar to my old job, but it wasn't; it was just more of the same public accounting BS I was trying so hard to stay away from. Add in the professional and ethical issues I had with the company and I knew I had to go.

As of right now I am taking a break so I can get my health in order, and then start looking for a job. Maybe even just part-time at first. My husband makes a good middle-class salary that more than covers our expenses and he has been very supportive and wants me to get help before I start looking for a new job. I'm extremely fortunate to have such a safety net, I know most people don't and are stuck in jobs they can't stand.[/QUOTE]

Have you considered switching careers? I could have sworn you quit another accounting firm before that in another thread. I have a few professional acquaintances who work for the Big Four and they all work 60+ hours with no OT. Even a few auditors I know who work for smaller private firms work tons of hours. It seems to be general practice since partners can bill clients hundreds of dollars an hour and give associates no OT.

We work directly with Deloitte at our firm and they feel lucky to be here from 8:30 to 6:30 and can even afford an hour lunch sometimes. I have to admit, it does seem pretty cool when they whip out their company AMEX and treat me to coffee and snacks.

[quote name='Kendro']Have you considered switching careers? I could have sworn you quit another accounting firm before that in another thread. I have a few professional acquaintances who work for the Big Four and they all work 60+ hours with no OT. Even a few auditors I know who work for smaller private firms work tons of hours. It seems to be general practice since partners can bill clients hundreds of dollars an hour and give associates no OT.

We work directly with Deloitte at our firm and they feel lucky to be here from 8:30 to 6:30 and can even afford an hour lunch sometimes. I have to admit, it does seem pretty cool when they whip out their company AMEX and treat me to coffee and snacks.[/QUOTE]

Yup, this is the second time I quit a firm for reasons such as that. The company I worked for in Ohio after quitting the Big 4 was totally awesome and I only quit due to my husband's transfer. Had set hours to work and didn't force me to work more just for the fuck of it, great teamwork and friendly people, great clients, lots of integrity. I just wish I could find a place like that around here. Thought I found a place like that with my last job, but it turned out to be a sham in basically all of the above areas, which is why I quit. Definitely thinking that the firm I worked for in Ohio is pretty rare and that I am better off working for a company instead of a public accounting firm. I am pretty good at what I do and enjoy it as a whole (accounting), I just cannot stand the bullshit. It literally makes me ill. I'm not one of those single twentysomethings that most of the public accounting firms run into who have all the time in the world to work and will allow themselves to be treated like shit because they have thousands in student loans. I have a family and I am not going to ruin my physical and mental health for a paycheck.

And the coffee and snacks are not free. They are billing your bosses for that "free" shit. :lol:

Have you checked USA Jobs for accounting positions for the federal government? I know I usually see a good amount of those. Not sure how the pay compares to what you have in the past but the bullshit would be less I'm sure.

I love my job. I work with great people and actually do have the best boss. The downside to that is when I screw up, I feel REALLY bad... Been 5 years and I can't see myself anywhere else.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I quit my job about 3 weeks ago. Too much stress and anxiety; I was getting sick every few weeks. I love living in Massachusetts near my family but I miss the job I had when I lived in Ohio. I thought this job was going to be similar to my old job, but it wasn't; it was just more of the same public accounting BS I was trying so hard to stay away from. Add in the professional and ethical issues I had with the company and I knew I had to go.

As of right now I am taking a break so I can get my health in order, and then start looking for a job. Maybe even just part-time at first. My husband makes a good middle-class salary that more than covers our expenses and he has been very supportive and wants me to get help before I start looking for a new job. I'm extremely fortunate to have such a safety net, I know most people don't and are stuck in jobs they can't stand.[/QUOTE]

Same here, DoK. I took a job at a bank, but remembering all the passwords was too stressful, and it was more responsibility than I could handle. Right now I am taking time off too. I think I'll settle into a nice retail job - I like working those jobs, working with the public, learning about new products. I've tried but can't get into Target, Toys R Us, even *Gasp* Wal Mart, but no go. I'll try after the holidays.

I'm a college professor at a research university and for the most part I love my job.

The undergrads can be a pain some time, and I'm not a huge fan of teaching in general (though grad classes are a lot more fun and rewarding to teach). But beyond that I love it as I've always been intellectually curious so a research focused career is very rewarding to me. And the teaching is a fair trade off for the unparalleled freedom to pursue my research agenda that you just can't get outside of academia.

Only downside is it's sometimes stressful with all the pressure to publish in top journals, bring in grant money etc., and trying to keep productive at that while keeping up with the teaching and the various committee/administrative work in and out of your department. So it's definitely not a job for people who can't stand working fairly long hours. And the pay is pretty lousy if you put it in terms of $/hr and required education level etc.! :D It's definitely something you do for love of the work and the autonomy in what you work on, what hours you work etc.

[quote name='2DMention']Same here, DoK. I took a job at a bank, but remembering all the passwords was too stressful, and it was more responsibility than I could handle. Right now I am taking time off too. I think I'll settle into a nice retail job - I like working those jobs, working with the public, learning about new products. I've tried but can't get into Target, Toys R Us, even *Gasp* Wal Mart, but no go. I'll try after the holidays.[/QUOTE]

It's ashame that retail pays so crappy. For the most part, it's fairly enjoyable IF you are in a department where you are helpful and know about the products. What good would someone be in an auto department, when they know 0 about cars? Or that person in the electronics department who doesn't know what mp3 means.

Though, retail can get VERY overwhelming. :(

[quote name='2DMention']Same here, DoK. I took a job at a bank, but remembering all the passwords was too stressful, and it was more responsibility than I could handle. Right now I am taking time off too. I think I'll settle into a nice retail job - I like working those jobs, working with the public, learning about new products. I've tried but can't get into Target, Toys R Us, even *Gasp* Wal Mart, but no go. I'll try after the holidays.[/QUOTE]

Honestly being a Mac Genius at the Apple Store would probably be my dream job. I just can't afford to take the pay cut. It seems so fun working there where you're helping people just by talking about Apple products.

bread's done
Back