Do you go to the gym and how much do you pay for your membership?

Xevious

CAGiversary!
I've been checking out gyms in the area and for some reason, I can't seem to get a decent price. Maybe these are the signs of the times..who knows...

I was curious to see what your experience is and how much do you have to pay each month. Also did you have to lay down a deposit and a bullshit sign-up fee?

I'm just inquiring...

(And no...I won't get a Wii Fit. My apartment is too small for that)

My friends and I got a deal at LA Fitness, where it's only $38 a month, no sign up/cancellation fee, cancel anytime. That get's us full use of the facilities, including classes and the pool, any time they're open, and that price is locked in.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']My friends and I got a deal at LA Fitness, where it's only $38 a month, no sign up/cancellation fee, cancel anytime. That get's us full use of the facilities, including classes and the pool, any time they're open, and that price is locked in.[/quote]

Damn...thats more my speed. I was quoted $50 a month at the gym I visited a half hour ago...

Plus all the bullshit startup fees...

[quote name='Xevious']Damn...thats more my speed. I was quoted $50 a month at the gym I visited a half hour ago...

Plus all the bullshit startup fees...[/quote]

If you have an LA Fitness, go near the end of the month (or if you can wait, end of a "season"). They seem to always have obscenely good deals around then.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']If you have an LA Fitness, go near the end of the month (or if you can wait, end of a "season"). They seem to always have obscenely good deals around then.[/quote]

Sadly no..I have a 24 hour Fitness and a Mavericks as well as the YMCA.

I'm still looking around though...

Gold's Gym. $45 a month. Had no start up fees when I joined. Had a 1 year contract, but that's past so I could cancel at anytime now.

I go to the gym in the Quincy Douglas community center in Tucson. They have a pool and library also, and the gym is only $1 to use each time, or $16 for a month pass. They only have 2 treadmills, a stair thing, 2 bikes, and 4 weight machines, but no ones ever there.

There's a gym and pool at my apartment complex, plus one of the fees at college pays for the use of their gyms. Last summer when I was home for the summer, I went to the local gym. They had a Summer Special promotion where it was $100 for three months, which wasn't bad since they had a lot of machines and equipment and it was a quick drive. Always be on the lookout for deals like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go to my school's gym which is free. Stay away from Bally's. I have had a friend who has had serious issues with it, but that may have just been a freak circumstance.

30 bucks... but there are like 3 gyms near me that are 10... i should switch but i gotta send a letter to cancel etc and I'm well, just too lazy with shit like that.

24 Hour Fitness. When I originally joined many years ago I paid $800-something for 3 years of all access/all club membership + 7 personal trainer sessions and a bunch of those nasty supplements in addition to a lifetime price guarantee of only $65 per year after my initial 3 year contract was up.

[quote name='PocariSweat']I got the Costco deal 2 years at 24 fitness for $300. I used to pay $300 a year pre-paid at an indie gym.[/quote]

I didn't know Costco did that. My work has an account with Costco. Maybe I could swing something with them. Hmmmm...........

I grew up in a town where the college had a HUGE rec center....looked like a cave in there, but highly effective. So I would use my grandma's alumnis pass and run up in there

The college I go to rec center is....clearly made for females. Barely has benches and seemingly looks like a place to chill. I go there just to watch the women

Oh yea, both were free for me

My sister-in-law signed me up with 24 Hour fitness a few months ago when they had a great promotion going. We paid $450 for a 36 Month membership. Works out to around $12.50 a month.

When I got out of the military I couldn't afford to go anywhere so I got an exercise ball, a fitness band and some dumbbells and used http://www.mensworkoutguide.com/home.html to work out at home. It really helped me a lot. Now I use the free gym at my apartment. I have been using a personal trainer for around a month now, and I feel effing amazing. I signed up for a 3 month program that cost $1130. Yeah it's kind of expensive, but the stuff that I've learned and having this dude motivate me makes me feel like it's worth it. I would recommend it if you can afford it. I'll post results or pics if anyone cares. I'd like to know if anyone has had a similar experience. Great thread!

[quote name='dingo_stole_mybaby'] I'll post results or pics if anyone cares. I'd like to know if anyone has had a similar experience. Great thread![/QUOTE]

Awesome let's see.

Also, how often do you meet with him/her?

Gold's Gym at $44 a month but my work pays for half of my gym fees so $22 a month. Gold's is really the only viable option for me since I can get there in about 5 minutes and get a quick workout in during lunch.

Free at 24 Hr Fitness...that's because I'm a part-time instructor. =)

Seriously, like several of the few posts, wait for a promotion in which you pay about $400-500 for 3 years up front and then pay about $5/month for life. I enjoy going here because of all the amenities. One day, I might feel like just lifting. Another day, I might go on the treadmill and then check out a cycling class. Or I might check out one of the Group X classes and take Kickboxing or Everlast Shadow Box. Good variety of activities which I won't get at my "fitness gym" in my condo complex or at the local community college gym.

I went to a local place, Mieko's Fitness, for $13/month... but now I just use my school's gym, the IMA, which is the most badass gym I've ever seen (and free for students).

I used my university gym for a while, but it's on the opposite side of campus from where I work and there's no free parking so the 15 minute walk each way got old (especially in the winter or on rainy days), plus being a Ph D student who teaches it was annoying to end up working out with students who were always interrupting me to ask questions about class. It is also just way too small for a 35,000+ student school so it's always pretty crowded.

Had an gym in my apartment complex before I moved, but it was pretty useless. Just a couple treadmills and some nautilus, universal gym machines. Didn't work at all for me since most of my workouts are based around free weights.

So the $45/month for golds gym was money well spent for me, and was the cheapest of the 5 gyms around my home/work that I checked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the responses! I noticed that there are some specials on the 24 hour fitness website and I could sign up online. Thats a plus to me because I don't want to deal with slimy pushy sales people....

Gold's Gym had a special two months ago, $1 startup fee (LA Fitness is usually $150 startup), $29 a month, month-to-month, or cheaper if you want to get a year pass.

i pay 24 bucks a month at 24 hour fitness. it was something like 75 bucks for start up, which included the first and last month in case i canceled. i had to start walking away for them to give me that. no contract also, i can cancel anytime

$24 a month at 24. There was a $50 sign up fee and I had to pay first and last month upon joining. This is to only work out at this specific location though. To be able to go to all locations it costs $30 a month.

Come work out with me at the 24 hour fitness in Oakland right near Alameda sometime haha.

bread's done
Back