Do you handheld game?

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
261 (100%)
It seems like Handheld gaming is either a love it or hate it thing lately. Personally I seem to get more play time on my Vita and 3DS then I do on consoles. I'm just wondering what do you guys do? Do you have a dedicated handheld or only phone game or not at all? I couldn't see giving up the handhelds as I can't get into touch screen only gaming. I like the idea of a tablet with a bigger screen and a controller but it's more than I want to lug around in an average day. I much prefer having the dedicated device with console quality games. Uncharted, Paper Mario, etc.

I know the Vita isn't doing well but I really wouldn't want to live without it at this point as it's such an amazing piece of hardware. I'd hate to see Sony stop trying in light of the 3DS selling better. Where do you think handheld gaming is headed? Gone for good? More of a streaming setup? PS4\VITA connectivity? In theory it all sounds great but I do like having the dedicated games on the dedicated device as I'm always weary that the connectivity won't work out when I need it. 

I love the Vita but it's too expensive. I rented it for a month and got rid of it because

1. It hurt my cash flow

2. Not enough games to hold my interest

3. When I have the PS3, I rather just game it "big" then game it "small"

I have a 3DS, and play some simple games on my iPhone and iPad (Words with Friends, Hanging with Friends, Quizboard, Bejewled, various Angry Birds etc.).

I got the 3DS XL in the $160 Target sale this spring primarily because I stay over at my girlfriend's place a lot and a portable is easier for getting some gaming in vs. lugging the 360/PS3 back and forth.  I also have no interest in a Wii U, so it gives me a way to get my Nintendo fix without shelling out $300+ for a console that would mostly gather dust other than a big Nintendo release or two a year.

Vita I have no real  interest.  Just the same types of games I can play on my PS3 or 360--and I'd rather play those on my big screen.  3DS has the benefit of being types of games I can't play on my home theater set up since I don't (and won't) have a Nintendo console.

I have both a 3ds and a Vita, plus I do some gaming on my ipad from time to time (Final Fantasy Dimensions and the like).  I have them for the gaming exclusives you can't get elsewhere, as well as classic games.  I can't imagine playing Xenogears on my 51" plasma, but on the Vita it's amazing.  Same thing with games like Earthbound.  I have no desire to play it again on my TV, but if it was on the 3DS shop I'd buy it in a minute. 

I bought my 3DS just for Pokemon X and Y, but I have been playing the hell out of Project X Zone and Theatrhythm lately. 

I have both a Vita and 3DS. I got the Vita during the Amazon Black Friday sale and I love it. Persona 4 Golden was my go to game and with PS+ you don't really have to buy that many games with 3 of the main launch titles and others added. I just recently got a 3DS XL and loving it. So far I only played a couple of demos and waiting for sales. I just ordered Animal Crossing: New Leaf so my life is over for a while.

I wouldn't say handheld gaming will be gone for good soon, but I think it's definitely declined since the Vita doesn't have huge sales and the 3DS wasn't doing stellar for a while at first either. That said, I really enjoy my 3DS - some of the exclusives are nice, and I don't always want to game on a big screen. I'll most likely be getting a Vita once the price drops/there's a good deal somewhere.

I do minor gaming on my Nexus 10, other than that I cant get into it. I never could. Starting with the orginal GameBoy, I just could never get used to staring at something so small for so long. I really wanted to get into the Vita but its SOOOO small my hands will cramp up trying to hold onto it. They should have made that for adults and not 12 year old girls.

What? There are other games on the 3ds besides Animal Crossing: New Leaf? ;)

I've been playing more of my 3ds lately than any console. The gbasp, dsl,& 3ds are probably my favorite systems ever and I love portable gaming devices, but I can't get into phone gaming. They also, as it has already been said, let me get my Nintendo fix without having their consoles.

As for the vita, I'll probably pick it up if I don't get a ps4 at launch. A price drop would make the decision easier...especially if both the system and the memory cards cost less.

I own a 3DS and a Vita and while I love both the software is just lacking for Vita imo. I use it primarily to play Persona 4 at this point.

I own like 14+ 3DS games though and planning to buy at least three more before the end of the year, needless to say I love my 3DS. DS was one of my favorite platforms, probably of all time and I GBA is up there too, basically I agree with the guy above me. I don't know what it is but even as my interest in gaming on the whole is waning Nintendo handhelds still manage to capture a certain magic for me. I plan to buy a 3DSxl by the end of the year too so I can give my brother my 3Ds

Last edited by a moderator:
I do most of my gaming on 3DS, I like having the luxury of a true PAUSE.  If I have to go run errands I can literally just close my 3DS and come back to it later, or even take it with me.  As suppose to having to turn off my PS3 when I leave the house.  Which is really annoying mid-quest.

I know I know, I could leave the PS3 on, but I don't want to risk burning out my PS3 early then it should.

I do most of my gaming on 3DS, I like having the luxury of a true PAUSE. If I have to go run errands I can literally just close my 3DS and come back to it later, or even take it with me. As suppose to having to turn off my PS3 when I leave the house. Which is really annoying mid-quest.

I know I know, I could leave the PS3 on, but I don't want to risk burning out my PS3 early then it should.
I'm pretty sure both the Xbox 1 and PS4 are going to have built in sleep modes, so it will be nice to have that feature on consoles next gen too as I agree it's great with 3DS!

I'm pretty sure both the Xbox 1 and PS4 are going to have built in sleep modes, so it will be nice to have that feature on consoles next gen too as I agree it's great with 3DS!
I tend to take care of my home consoles too much and turn them off for everything. After my 360 red ringed, I fear everything is going to over heat and die.

I do most of my gaming on 3DS, I like having the luxury of a true PAUSE. If I have to go run errands I can literally just close my 3DS and come back to it later, or even take it with me. As suppose to having to turn off my PS3 when I leave the house. Which is really annoying mid-quest.

I remember when the save battery stopped working on my World Series Baseball '96 cart for Genesis, the only way to play a whole season was to leave the system on. If I had to quit playing or someone wanted to watch TV, I'd just pull the video cord out of the back of the system. That thing stayed on for days and days straight. The system still works today. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

I tend to take care of my home consoles too much and turn them off for everything. After my 360 red ringed, I fear everything is going to over heat and die.
Yeah, but unless you're unplugging them they're never really off since they're on to detect the power on signal from the controller/a remote. And sounds like the X1 and PS4 are even more "always on" than that.

So what these new consoles will have is basically a hibernate/save state mode where they're mostly off but save what they were doing so you hop right back where you were--again pretty much like pressing home and shutting the 3DS. So that shouldn't generate heat or do anything to put extra wear and tear on a console as it's not like now where you'd just have to leave them fully on.

Guess I should be ashamed, I'm the only one (so far) who voted "don't handheld game".  I didn't in the Gameboy / Lynx / Game Gear days, don't think I will anytime soon (though the DS / 3DS has tempted me the most to start).

I love my 3DS. Playing a ton of Project X Zone. Got Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion and both recently released Shin Megami Tensei games to start. Then there's the new StreetPass games, the upcoming Phoenix Wright 5 and Pokemon X/Y games. Not to mention older games I haven't completed like Code of Princess, Dragon Quest, and Chrono Trigger.

I think it would be awesome to get a Vita when it drops below $200. I'm waiting for $179. Already have a ton of Vita games sitting on my PS+ subscription too. I redeem them even though I don't have a Vita. 

vita assassin's creed bundle was $179 last november so there is no reason to think that price point will not be revisited this year.

I have both a Vita and 3DS. Been playing on consoles more than handhelds recently though, mostly due to the fact that I haven't been buying games as much and trying to get through my backlog.

bread's done
Back